Falling Got Us Closer

✿ One More Day ✿ (ON-GOING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   Well, as of today, you have half-mindedly pledged to attend every single body training session during lunch for a whole week as preparation for a grand competition. Ugh, why did you get your hopes up so quickly, Sohee? You were already alerted about how tough it was going to be, but I guess you were currently stupified to process what that meant in terms of exercising. You're brain must have been on false-autopilot-mode, seeing as though being tired wasn't enough, yet you still had the slightest bit of energy that time to make it obvious that you were going along with the opinion of the class. Ever since you woke up, you had been nothing but a sluggish body trudging around the school divisions, even though it didn't seem so appearance-wise. Beautiful on the outside, but dead on the inside. As much as you disliked the idea of having to cope with your energyless body, you obeyed the order as anyone else would loyally. You did have the minor thought of not attending though, but you argued to yourself that it was a big deal to all participants, and you had already pitched in to the agreement since the beginning. Also, if you didn't start becoming active until the day of the event, you would be dragging the whole team down the score board, one activity at a time.

  Following what your class leader advised during the morning, all students from grades nine to twelve in team A had arrived at the main gym around fifteen minutes after savoring their midday meal. You somewhat expected hardly any of all Team-A-Dalelians to attend, but it turned out to be like a jackpot because all of them were notified and showed up. This time, you were tactful about stuffing your mouth entirely of delectable appetizers, knowing how it wouldn't do you good if you not-so-surprisingly got a stomach ache halfway through a workout. You instead, only consumed what you predicted  was half a plate of the healthiest dishes they served in the cafeteria that you could get your hands on. If sleeping or resting wasn't a choice for you to regain energy, at least eating healthy foods would keep your body satisfied for a manageable amount of time. You had selected a small mix of Italian Chicken Pasta Salad, Crunchy Cauliflower Salad, Crisp Mozzarella Sticks, and a cup of water. Only having fifteen minutes, you did have an urgency to speed up the process of chewing and swallowing larger bundles of your lunch. If it weren't for the help of the water, you guessed much of the meal would have been clogged in your esophagus from the large scoops. Good thing you didn't really choke in the process, haha.

  You weren't the first to arrive at the main gym, but you were the first female to arrive close behind a group of three male students. They didn't seem to be in your grade or under because they were tall — like, tall tall. You weren't sure about your own height, but you didn't need to know in order to measure how short you were compared to the group of guys who walked by. Would they be your seniors if not the same grade? Either way, the were pretty cool in your opinion. But scoring any of them wasn't really possible for a thought, not like you were interested in dating since you were still a newbie to this school. Yet again, you were caught staring at another good-looking group of boys. You happened to be lost in thought that time, but the thing is, you weren't aware that you were looking directly at that group while dazing off until one of them noticed and waved at you. Because of that, you were able to snap back to your senses. It took you about two seconds until you finally understood why he waved, which caused you to feel embarrassed and quickly look down. He probably thought you were weird for acting this way, but didn't seem to care. You carefully glanced back to that group, surprised to see that all the guys were now observing you, not in that creepy way though. Seeing you still glancing their way, another one of them called you over by waving their hand and motioning for you to join them. Your body seemed to feel a bit more stiff as you timidly approached them. They greeted you very politely and asked whether you were the new "A-student". You nodded your head in response, recieving smiles and welcoming bows from them. Naturally, they introduced themselves as grade twelve class A's Dongyu, Jaehwa, and Youngsoo. Ahhh~ so they are older than you. Not all surprising. You bowed politely in return, and also fully introduced yourself along with being their "hubae". They playfully patted your head, which somehow made you feel more relaxed around them. After that, the four of you enjoyed a short moment of chatting before other students and the coach started to crowd in. You also spotted BTS hurrying to enter after being chased by a separate crowd of fans.

  "Alright! Everyone listen up! I'll be your coach in training for the whole week, and I'm going to make sure you're well and ready and fit for the tournament. If you don't like how the training goes, well too bad! Deal with it, because I won't be the one complaining when you possibly lose. Not my problem if that happens. So, either you it up and bear with the training, or you don't, and you make the team fail. I am only here to provide the lessons as well as monitoring everybody. Got it? I'm sure you all understand the concept of training. Then let's get to it! Don't waste any time!" he fiercely commanded. His voice roared to the very back wall of the large gym, almost startling you with every sentence he spoke. This guy didn't even need a speakerphone for his voice to project that far. Instantly, you checked him off as one strict teacher. Then, he began to to instruct through the workouts, beginning with two and a half minutes of doing the plank, which meant two minutes and thirty seconds of holding your whole body off the ground with just your toes and forearm as you stay in that holding position. Everybody was doing pretty well for the first minute before you started to hear whimpers coming from those around you. You were successfully holding yourself up for the first minute as well, but then your arms and back started to slowly give out and quiver from holding up your own weight after that. The coach was obviously making it tough, which only meant one thing: this whole week will be a cycle of despair. Aiiishh! Sohee, is getting into tough situations and embarrassing moments a habit of yours now? You really chose a tough path, now there is no going back otherwise you will look like a fool. Great job, Sohee, second day and look what you now have to endure.

  You, for one, were hoping everything would be something you were capable of doing. You weren't saying you were bad at exercising and physical stuff, because you were actually pretty fit, but nobody knew what was going to be demanded by the coach at the start. But somewhere in your mind, you expected things to become agony for all sooner or later. Sure enough, you were correct, and it was much sooner. Until then, you had no remembrance of how stressingly painful it was to be in training. As a child, you had taken dance lessons every weekday after school, which required you to take painful physical training. It was only until you reached middle school before you decided to quit in order to make room for studying. You felt like you were doing minor military activities as a youngster, so this had only brought back that faded memory. So far, everyone was forced to do two and a half minutes of planking, forty jumping jacks, forty mountain climbers, and twenty burpees. Nobody complained though, no matter how much their muscles screamed from the torturing pain in each set of workouts. You all thought that if anybody had any complaint, that would be the end of the world for everyone here. Nobody dared to have the guts to challenge the coach because who knows what would happen. You were mainly worried that it may lead to everybody doing extra sets, which all of you were exhausted from. The only things the coach allowed was talking amongst partners, and continuing the workouts. Other than those, he would probably punish the students to the depths of the underworld. Nobody wished for that since everybody was already sweating like heck. You felt a droplet trickle down your neck and seep into your t-shirt and mini sweatpants you had changed into before arriving. Eeeeewwww. Another thing you disliked a lot was sweating, which made your clothes cling onto your body like koalas to a tree, and your hair to become soaked in your own disgusting sweat. Grooooss.

  After that, everyone had been paired with another partner to do a set of forty sit-ups. You had been partnered with the closest available person to you, which surprisingly was....Youngsoo! You didn't have anything to go against him so it was fine in your opinion to be paired with your seonbae-nim. He didn't seem to mind either, which you were sure about since he immediately came closer to you and stood beside you, like all the other pairs did, except with a kind smile and patted your head. You smiled back and laughed a bit when you were patted like a little puppy. Your eyes wandered around another time, finding Jungkook and Taehyung paired with different BTS members. To your shock, both Jungkook and Taehyung, with their pairs, had looked around and spotted you at the same time. You didn't know what to do except to give them a thumbs-up for encouragement, which they nodded in return. You couldn't describe their expressions when they looked your direction, which seemed to be a mix of exhaustion and...who-knows-what. After everyone was paired up, each selected a small area of the gym to do the sit-ups. You and Youngsoo had chosen to be nearest to the exit, which was a smart idea because the moment you two laid down, you both felt some air flow from under the door gap. Using that, you were able to cool down faster while in the process of working out. You had also noticed that a few of the BTS pairs surrounded you, choosing spots nearby or a few more metres away in distance. Jungkook was about five metres in front of you and Taehyung's spot was right beside his. Never mind that, you had already started your set while Youngsoo counted. While you did the forty sit-ups, your partner held your feet down just as the coach instructed. You were able to go up until twenty-eight before your abdominal muscles started to tense and it became harder to pull up. But thanks to Youngsoo's cheering, you passed through the rest of the torture. After you finished, you plopped your back onto the cool gym floor, feeling your sweat-soaked-shirt stick against your skin. Next was Youngsoo's turn to do his set. The coach had made it clear that both partners would be responsible for each other's progress during that time, so you quickly sat back up and switched postures for his round.

  Shortly after Youngsoo accomplished all forty sit-ups continuously, the coach had assigned the second last exercise set of push ups. Ugh, push-ups were possibly the only ones you really struggled with. No matter how many years of physical training you've had, push-ups were still out of your list on things you were good at. Even the modified push-up style where you replaced balancing on toes to your knees is still difficult for you. Your arms would give out easily before pushing back off the floor. Actually, after giving it some thought, you were pretty bad at all arm strength related things — push-ups, pull-ups, those types you could name were the hardest for you. The problem was just that you couldn't hold your own body weight with your arms for a long time, that's all. But because you didn't want to make yourself appear puny, you did what the coach said and dealt with it. This time, the coach made his own modified version of push-ups. Rather than just pushing off the ground, he said that we needed to add some weight alongside gravity but a bit against our strength. Nobody understood what he meant by adding weight with gravity and so on, but you all knew it wasn't going to be simple work. Coach had directed for each pair to go to the school storage room and bring back any four textbooks you could find. In an instant, everyone had a hint as to what he was going to make you all do. Oh no, looks like things are about to go down. Every pair silently grunted in frustration as the workout had already drained a majority of their soul from their bodies, giving them a glazed, lifeless look. You weren't the only one wondering about when lunch break was over, since you saw quite a few people peek at the time on their watches, only to be more disappointed when they realize that there's still plenty of time. Siiiiighhh.

  You returned to the gym clutching two textbooks against your chest. To be honest, after completing those current workouts, two textbooks felt like triple the weight. Your energy had dropped by a few, but that didn't change the fact that you were already pooped since morning. As everyone came back with their own stack of textbooks, the coach explained how the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter