▌│█║▌║▌║ ¢нαρтєя 7 ║▌║▌║█│▌

If You Love Something, Let It Go

Tao's vision is blur. He blinks and tries to move, but fails. And then he hears. Beeping machines. They're everywhere. He feels like he is in a room in a parallel universe, hooked onto thousands of beeping devices.But no. It's just a hospital, which you can find anywhere in the country you're in.

"Where am I?" Tao mumbles, the movement of his neck confined to just looking at the ceiling.

"You're in the hospital. We survived, if you're wondering," Kris answers.

"Kris-ge? Is that you?" Tao mutters, his voice soft, all of his energy drained out of him. He sounds so dead, like a body, holding onto a machine — life support, to keep itself alive.

"Yes, Tao. It's me. It has been two weeks since the accident and I have been so worried that you wouldn't wake up. I'm — you're so blessed," Kris says happily.

But Tao knows. He may wake up now, but he will not survive for long. His lungs malfunction every now and then. And he contemplates about telling Kris. It will only make the latter feel more worried about him. And to think, they only started dating a fortnight ago.

"Are you feeling okay?" Kris asks.

Tao nods, closing his eyes. "Just tired."

The door opens and both Tao and Kris look at the who person who just entered. Just a doctor. He has light blonde hair and a relatively kind smile. But what is with the extrememly blond hair, Kris wonders. The left side of his coat has the name of the hospital — Jae Woo University Hospital and on the right, his name and title. Oh Sehun, Thoracic Surgeon.

"Good morning," he smiles. "I am Oh Sehun, a thoracic surgeon and it will be nice if you can call me Doctor Oh and I'm Tao's doctor. Generally, for everything, even though it says here that I am a thoracic surgeon."

"If you're a thoracic surgeon, what are you even doing in the accident and emergency department?" Kris asks, frowing.

Sehun smiles once more. Kris feels like he wants to puke any time soon because that smile of his is so sickening. "Like I said, I am Tao's doctor for almost everything even if my actual title is a thoracic surgeon. That includes broken arms and legs too."

Sehun turns to Tao to give his instructions. "Later in mid afternoon, you will need to change your cast to a cemented one. You know, those colourful casts? Your guardian here, has already changed his to neon green, so pick another color that will match."

Once Sehun is out of the room, Kris looks at Tao with an annoyed expression printed on his face. "Don't you think he's annoying?"

"No," Tao gleams happily. "He's nice. He always gives me sweets after my consultation." Some imaginary voice shouts at Tao in his head. You almost let out something about your illness. Stupid. Watch your words. The smile on Tao's face dies away but Kris doesn't notice it.

"Are you a kid or something? I mean, Luhan gives me sweets too," Kris deadpans.

"Oh my gosh," Tao squeals. "Luhan... Did you know?" Kris shakes his head slowly, not knowing what Tao is talking about.

"Sehun and Luhan are dating!" Tao squeals excitedly. "Don't you think they are cute together?"

"I have never seen them together," Kris says, all the information about Sehun and Luhan fuzzing about in his brain.


After about two hours or so, Tao comes out of the operating theater, fully conscious on a wheelchair. His leg has a blue cast and on his arm, an orange one.

"Seriously? Blue and orange? Where is your sense of matching colors?" Kris asks.

"I like them, okay?" Tao replies. Something about Kris has changed after the accident. He is now more pessimistic and everything that Tao does just irks him.

Kris pushes the wheelchair with his unbroken hand and brings Tao back to his room. While Tao had been in the process of changing casts, Kris had gone back to take Tao's bible and crucifix like he had requested. Tao smiles, when he spots that his belongings have been brought as he asked. Tao helps himself onto the bed and flips to a certain page of the holy book with his free hand. There is a haphazardly folded paper in the intersection to which Tao has flipped and he begins to skim the words written on the piece of paper. Then he looks up at Kris.

"Do you remember the time when Myungsoo gave you a framed picture with the lyrics of a song called Moonlight?" Tao asks. Kris nods slowly, remembering the picture on the wall of his café.

"I wrote that song. After my mom died, I felt so lost and alone. I was fifteen then and I had no one to guide me along. I didn't know what would happen to me, lest, what to do. I knew I was an orphan but for fifteen years I had a mother and I didn't know what the government did to orphans. That's when I started to associate with gangs, because I could count on them to give me food and shelter. And in that period of my life, I also met Myungsoo. He found my song, he helped me translate it into Korean and told me about how he knew you and you had a café with the same name," Tao explains.

"It's okay," Kris stands up from his chair and holds a seated Tao closer to him. "You have me now."

Tao smiles, knowing that even though Kris gets irked by everything he does, he still loves him. Kris takes the paper and begins to read the lyrics which Tao scribbled in an almost illegible handwriting.

"As the night falls, you approach me quietly. Removing the darkness to wake me from my sleep and leaving me through the open window," Kris skims further down. "A place that cannot be touched, a place that cannot be held, the reflection on the surface is not her, it's my sad story that cannot be fulfilled. The closer I get, the stronger the pain will get..."

Kris looks up at Tao's wondering gaze. "Did you ace the freestyle poetry section in Literature or something?"

Tao shakes his head. "No. I failed everything except for Drama and Plays."

"Then how do you explain this?" Kris waves the paper in Tao's face.

Tao shrugs, taking the paper from Kris. "I must have been really sad and helpless."

Kris pouts, looking at Tao, his eyes puppy like. Tao chuckles. "Kris-ge, your attempt at aegyo is a complete failure."

Kris takes Tao's cold, bony hand. "Don't call me Kris, please. I don't want to go by that. I mean, no one ever calls me that anymore. Even if it's just two weeks, we have been through thick and thin together and I feel that it is unfair that you call me by a nickname that I can just revoke and put out of existence. Call me Yifan. It's better."

Tao nods with a cheery smile. "I will, Yifan-ge."

A nurse walks in at that moment with a messily torn paper. The message reads: Should we tell Yifan-ssi about your lungs or just wait until he finds out? -Oh Sehun

Tao scribbles a just wait and hands the paper back to the nurse, waiting at the corner. Kris will know nothing about the infection on his left lung. And by nothing, he means absolutely nothing. Zero. Kris smiles at Tao, who smiles back as if the note was of a different subject.

"So, what do you think?" Kris asks, showing a picture of the café currently. A picture that Myungsoo sent to him.

"Who is that girl?" Tao pokes the screen of Kris' phone. "There are no female employees in your café."

"Oh, she's just helping out. I think her name is Kim Hyuna and she's Kai's friend," Kris answers.

"What?! Kim Hyuna is some stripper pole dancer , I think. Is it the same person?" Tao gasps.

"I don't know. I do not patronise strip clubs. Plus, there are many with the name Kim Hyuna, so don't assume right away," Kris says.

"Other than that, it's okay," Tao concludes, after surveying the picture for a little while. "And also, I think that Chanyeol has a crush on Kai."

"Excuse me? Chanyeol is dating some eyeliner bartender at Dark Ecstasy and Kai is dating some psychologist called Do." (he said it as doh and not dyo lol)

Tao looks at Kris weirdly. "Who the heck will call themselves Do?"

Kris shrugs with a frown. "I don't know. Him."

"I need to meet all these people," Tao finally says after a minute of silence.

"Why? I mean, you do know Chanyeol and Kai. You also met Lee Kikwang, thanks to me. Who else do you wanna meet?" Kris asks, looking down.

Tao sighs and slowly turns to Kris. "Nicki Minaj."

Kris looks at Tao as if he's retarded. "Don't even utter a single word about it cause that is totally out of my league."

 At that moment, Sehun walks into Tao's room and eyes him. And Kris just wonders, what the hell does Sehun want again? Tao and Sehun both know what they need to do. Get Kris out of the picture. For now.

"Luhan needs to see you," Sehun says to Kris. Luhan had not wanted to be part of all these but agreed after realizing that he will be of great help. And also partly because, he promised Sehun that he would do anything for him.

"He does?" Kris asks, thinking what the problem is. There has not been any complications with his heart recently. What does Luhan need to see him for? Maybe the cost of his treatment, or the medical records? Who knows.

"Yes. Please hurry. He is waiting in his office and does not want his lunch break, which is in an hour, to be delayed," Sehun says quickly.

Kris leaves willingly and now only Sehun and Tao are in the room. The doctor locks the door after placing a note about private examination in the folder outside.

"So, Luhan and I have a plan. We're just hoping it will work out because we have never done this kind of thing before. The main objective is to help you and also cheat the hospital of its funds. Long story, which I will not tell you today, about why an honest person to the moon and back like Luhan agreed to this," Sehun says. He takes out a notepad and a pen. Tao looks at the empty ruled paper and the pen and then back at Sehun.

"It is only illegal to look at the medical records of employees and not patients. Luhan and I studied yours and since our fields of medicine are almost similar, we decided to do this together. Here is what we found out. There is a very, very, very, small puncture in the side of your left lung and it can bigger without immediate medical attention. It will deprive you of oxygen, hence making you short of breath most of the time. To this, we will implant a bypass to regulate oxygen flow. The bypass on its own costs ten thousand dollars. Together with consultation and surgery fees, the entire cost will sum up to fifteen thousand dollars. Secondly, there is a blood clot in the same lung and the removal of that is eight thousand dollars. Together with consultation fees, it will be about twelve thousand dollars. Thirdly, you will require a ventricular assist device to aid your failing heart. The device on its own costs twenty thousand dollars and together with surgery and consultation costs, the amount can come up to thirty thousand dollars. Finally, we will need to replace one of your bicuspid valves and the artificial valve costs five thousand dollars. Plus surgery and consultation fees, the cost will be about ten thousand dollars. Paying all of these will literally strip you of all your life savings, so Luhan and I are going to remove all the surgery and consultation costs. Do you think that's good?" Sehun asks.

"It sounds more appealing to stay in a hospital when the bills are removed just like that," Tao jokes.

Kris enters, the door swinging back and forth behind him. Sehun quickly keeps the notepad which contains all the details and stands up. He bows, not meeting Kris' eyes and leaves.

"So, what did Luhan tell you?" Tao asks, averting the subject so that Kris does not question about Sehun's presence.

"We had a nice chat and he reminded me about a lot of things so that I can have a healthy heart," Kris shrugs. "What about Sehun? What did he say?"

"Just the usual, eat well, rest well and I can be discharged soon," Tao smiles, the white lie easily passing through his lips like nothing.


It has been another two weeks of Tao's stay in the hospital. These two weeks, Tao feels, have been the most productive.  In the first week, Tao had his arm cast removed and after four days of rest for his arm, Sehun taught Tao how to walk with crutches, together with another physiotherapist. The first few hours, Tao wanted to give up so badly. It is so painful to move the casted leg around, lest carry it about with crutches. But Tao, manages to get used to it. While he is happily hopping along back to his room, Sehun slips him some pills. They stop at a corner of the hospital and Sehun begins to instruct him on what to do with those little white pills.

"I'm going to discharge you today. Take these pills as instructed on the label. It will reduce the inflammation of your lungs. This way, Yifan will not find out about your illness. So, the plan we have now, as I said earlier, is very risky. You must play your part and act dramatic. It depends how long you want to take these pills because one day you will have to stop eventually and let the illness take over. Make it come as a shock to him, he will have no choice but to accept it rather than I tell him all about it," Sehun explains.

Tao shrugs. "Either way, he won't accept that I'm sick to this extent. He will do anything and everything to get this illness off of me."

"Whatever," Sehun peeks out of the corner. There is no one around. "Just wait for his reaction on the day itself."


Kris had gone back to get his car and he waits at the entrance of the hospital. Today, he is not driving the Volvo but another one, a sleek black Lamborghini with an electric blue hood and lights. Tao hops quickly when he sees Kris and the latter comes out of the car quickly and tells Tao to relax. It's not like Kris will drive away if Tao doesn't get to his car quickly enough. Kris helps Tao into the car and proceeds to the driver's seat.

"Gosh, how many cars do you have?" Tao asks.

"Many. Have you heard of Wu Motors? That's my uncle's company. Which means, I have ten cars, now that I am 28," Kris says. "I destroyed the Audi S5 Quattro in the accident, I still have my Volvo and this one, I got it from my parents' house in Busan. All my cars are there."

"You mentioned something about a stepmother. But you call them your parents?" Tao asks.

"Why not?" Kris asks, his eyes focused on the road as he makes a U-Turn at the junction. "She is a nice woman. Treated me like her own son, let me play with her children like I am their actual brother and not just a step sibling. But I wouldn't say that I love her, because it's hard to love someone who married your father but is not your mother."

"I get it. At least you still had someone to look after you. I didn't," Tao looks outside the window at the passing scenery. The sun, setting slowly into the horizon, the waters, a deep shade of blue and the sun, casting red, orange and yellow hues into the sky.


"We're home," Kris announces, pushing the door open after keying in the passcode.

The apartment is dark and messy. Kris switches on the lights. The clothes lie haphazardly on the floor of the kitchen and the newspapers are messed up on the coffee table. Kris remembers the night of the accident. Tao had been crying, begging for him to revoke the accident plan. But he didn't listen. They have to start their lives anew. This apartment has too much memories. They need somewhere that has no trace of them. Kris' parents' house is the perfect place. But it is all the way in Busan.

"I can't," Kris says. "It's too much. I need to stay somewhere else. The place I have in mind, my parents' house. But it is all the way in Busan. It's a five hour drive and we'll most probably only reach there at midnight."

"It's okay. We can switch halfway," Tao suggests.

Kris takes some things from his storage room. Three cans of petrol, a cover, food, drinks and two blankets. Not to forget, the keys to his Volvo. The car is much bigger compared to the Lamborghini and more comfy.


Tao chews on a marie biscuit as Kris navigates the way with the aid of his electronic speaking map.

"Wait, Tao, are you sure you can drive with your leg casted up like that?" Kris asks, while the car is stationery at a traffic light.

"Yeah. I can do one foot for both pedals. That's how I learnt anyway," Tao replies. "Wake me up when we're switching."

 

It is almost two hours into the drive and Kris is yawning, trying to keep himself awake with Red Bull. When he finally cannot drive anymore, Kris stops at the road shoulder and wakes Tao. Just up ahead, there is a road sign, divided into three sections. One of them reads Keep Left for Busan and three arrows point down to the lane taking drivers to Busan. Tao wakes up and adjusts in the driver's seat while Kris lies down where Tao once was. About two hours later, Kris wakes up and the car seems to be in a very bright place. He sits up, rubs his eyes and looks out. Tao is hopping back to the car with his crutches.

"I just needed to use the restroom. We're in Busan by the way. Eat this bread, that I bought. I will drive the rest of the journey. You just rest first because you couldn't wake up just now," Tao says, as he enters the driver's seat and pulls on his seatbelt.

Kris smiles and puts his head back down. It is not long before Tao announces that he has reached their destination. It is ten minutes past midnight and in front of Tao is the biggest house he has ever seen in the span of twenty four years. Kris powers up an old remote and uses it to open the gate. On the left side, are stairs to the main entrance and on the right is a slope down to the basement where the cars are parked.

Inside, Kris' parents are watching the television and Tao gapes at the interior view. Pictures and a flat screen TV on the wall, three steps to the dining hall and a kitchen up ahead. On the right section of the dining area, is a staircase and opposite of it, is a lift. Kris' family must be ing rich.

"Appa, eomma, I'm here," Kris says. They both turn around. Kris' stepmother looks young, although Tao had been told that she is in her late forties.

Bom comes down the stairs with heavy makeup on her face. At this time of the night, wow.

"Show your guest upstairs and come down. We need to talk," the elder Wu instructs. He looks at Tao. "Mr..."

"Huang," Tao answers.

"Mr Huang, yes. Help yourself to our amenities if you are not tired as of yet. Let us, as a family, talk privately," Kris' father, Han Seok, continues.


Bom, Kris and his parents are seated in the hall, all facing each other.

"When is the wedding?" Han Seok, asks.

"What wedding? I told you I am not going to marry her. She's too old for me," Kris answers, nonchalantly. Bom does not smile or laugh and Kris' step mother, Sarang, keeps quiet throughout.

"This is the best choice, Yifan. Listen—"

"—No, it is not. Nobody forced you to marry my mother. Or her. So why are you forcing me into this arranged marriage? Is is because you want to see me with her? Why not, we just take a picture together and you can look at it all day? Consider my feelings first, at least," Kris interrupts. Han Seok looks at him sternly.

"Han Seok-ah, he's 28 already. Just let him do what he wants.  He actually has a point you know," Sarang finally speaks up.

"Fine then. Who is this other person you are keen on marrying?" Han Seok asks.

"You really want to know?" Kris raises his eyebrows.

Han Seok does not respond but Sarang nods.

"Him," Kris replies. "The guest. I want to be with him for as long as I shall live."

"Then go, Yifan. Be with him. Be happy," Sarang says with a gentle smile. Han Seok only sulks where he is.


Tao swallows a pill, out of the pack that Sehun gave to him earlier in the day. In a few seconds, he feels the slight pain in his chest fade away. He puts away the tube of pills and Kris enters.

"How was it?" Tao asks. Kris does not reply but kisses Tao. Tao is caught by surprise but closes his eyes and kisses Kris back. He holds onto Kris' neck and pulls him closer as they kiss, a little tongue involved here and there.

"So it went well?" Tao asks, once they break away. Kris nods.

"I love you," Kris finally says, after a minute of peace and quiet. Tao smiles, a soft and gentle sign of happiness and plops onto the bed, next to Kris. He lays his head on Kris' shoulder and the elder his hair. Bom watches them through a crack in the door, feeling a slight pang of jealousy rise in her heart. Kris must really love him.


[Present]

Both Tao and Kris are back in the apartment again. Refurnished with some money from Kris' parents, it is totally different from what it was before. The new design has a tinge of the Victorian Era and a bit of traditional Korean culture.

"It looks better," Tao smiles. Kris nods, knowing the designer had done a good job.

And Kris knows something more about the apartment that Tao doesn't though. His stepmother is fully supportive of his relationship with Tao and has no objections to it. Tao stands at the balcony, admiring the urban city view, recognising Namsan Tower, built on a mountain in the distance. Kris opens the door of the refrigerator and takes out a bouquet of roses. The tag on the flowers reads: To my beloved Zitao written in his stepmother's delicate handwriting. There is a note sandwiched in the flowers for Kris and he pulls it out to read what it has  on it.

Propose to him with these flowers. The rings are inside so he has to find it. I hope you have a happy engagement. (:

- Sarang ♥

Kris smiles. His step mother is such a kind woman. Unlike those in fairytales and stories. Kris goes to the balcony, the flowers behind his back. Such a cliché romantic action. Tao is amazed by the scenery and Kris clears his throat.

"Can I ask you a question?" Kris asks and Tao replies positive, with a cheery smile. It's always fun to talk to Kris, be it an argument or just a normal conversation.

"All these days I have spent with you, I have been thinking about something. About, why I am so in love with you. Is it because of your eyes, not to mention, the gray is beautiful, your nose, your lips... or what? And I have decided the answer. It's you, the entire you. I want to live the rest of my life with you by my side so...," Kris brings out the flowers. "Will you marry me?"

Tao squeals and hugs Kris, crushing the bouquet in between them. "Yes! But how do we get married?"

Kris looks elsewhere. "We will be married in our own world I guess. Unless my mom is really sending us to California to get married..."

"Oh, and find our rings by midnight," He continues. "The hint is, it's somewhere around our apartment."


Ten minutes to midnight and Tao is still in his mad search for their engagement rings. He has looked everywhere and there has been no sign of them. What if... there are no rings? Or maybe..., they are inside the flowers that Kris gave to him? The flowers! Tao quickly advances to the bouquet of roses and digs around in it. Seems crazy, but these are genetically modified roses and they have no thorns. Much to his surpise, a glint catches his eye. Tao digs deeper and pulls out two silver rings. On the outer surface, the words Yifan♥Zitao are engraved and on the inner surface, 24 carat genuine diamond.

"I found it!" Tao yells, his voice resonating throughout the entire apartment. Kris approaches him and smiles.

"Good job," he says, slipping the ring onto Tao's left ring finger.

They share a quick yet passionate kiss and interlock their hands, making their way to the couch for a movie and popcorn on their newly purchased on-the-wall flat screen TV, courtesy of Kris' stepmother, Sarang.


A/N: OMO guys, i have never written 4.3k words in my life before!! so happy. anyways, i hope you liked this chapter and that things arent' too confusing. so  ya, there wasn't much hospital stuff in this chapter but there will be in the next chapter. sooo, please support this fic!

REMEMBER TO COMMENT AND UPVOTE!

saranghae my lovelies ♥

2hyun5ever

[PS: 4.4k words plus author's note :D you just needed to know that lol]