▌│█║▌║▌║ ¢нαρтєя 4 ║▌║▌║█│▌

If You Love Something, Let It Go

Winter has already begun, although not harsh. Just cool, windy days without snow or rain. Kris roams the large hospital aimlessly, trying to find the cardiovascular and thoracic building. He finally finds a sign that points to the said department and he walks in that direction. It is not hard to find Doctor Luhan's office because it is situated right at the front. He's the boss of the department anyway. Kris enters his office and sits on the chair patiently and Luhan enters a few minutes later.

"Ah, Kris. You're here pretty early. Please come a little closer," Luhan says, pressing the stesthoscope to Kris' chest.

"It's a restrained heart beat. Follow me to the radiology department to have a colored three dimensional screening as well as an X-Ray. Don't worry, it is not far from here," Luhan says.


Luhan prints out an RGB colored picture and retrieves the X-Ray images from the respective machines and escorts Kris back. Once Kris is seated on the chair, Luhan fishes out an older X-Ray image of Kris' heart from the latter's medical records file. Luhan then places both pictures side by side under special light.

"Look here. This is a picture from two months ago and this is the recent one. Do you see the outline of both hearts? In the older picture, your heart is more clear and defined. It was also healthier but in the one over here, it's much more unclear and smaller." He slips the colored picture to Kris. "And here, you have the pericardium, a double membrane that protects the heart. There is only so much it can stretch before it gives way and now that it is filled with an unidentified substance, you have a restrained heart beat. So, today, I will be removing the substance as well as the pericardium and injecting a substitute of it made of gelatin. Is that okay?"

Kris nods. It should be safe, since this gelatin substitute has been certified globally as safe and effective.

"Also, restrain from oily foods and fizzy drinks. Soup is good, so are vegetables. Just a little oil is okay but not too much. Tea is good and less caffeine please," Luhan reminds Kris.

After that Kris lies down on a table in Luhan's office and Luhan begins the procedure. He focuses on finding the right spot because cardiology isn't a some kind of a sick joke. It's people's hearts you're fiddling around with. Just one small mistake and Kris could die. Kris flinches when the needle pierces his skin. Luhan begins to out a pale yellowish jelly-like substance. It looks like blood plasma, although it is not. He stops when the syringe is almost full and empties the substance in a bag which he labels Send for testing.

"That stuff has been occupying space in your pericardium sac, you know," Luhan tells Kris, pointing at the bag of fluid.

Then he injects the pericardium substitute into Kris and another drug to ensure that Kris' body does not reject the substitute. After that, he rubs antiseptic over the injection site and covers it with a square shaped plaster.

"Don't move too much after this, okay? Also, you said you're a café owner, right? What exactly do you do as a café owner?" Luhan asks.

"I work in my own café. Just man the counter, take orders and serve the people," Kris replies, shrugging.

"Don't work like that for a week. Try to keep your heart rate low so that the substitute can adjust without difficulties," Luhan advices, while prescribing drugs to Kris which will prevent inflammation and infection of the heart.

"Luhan, can I ask you why you decided to become a cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon? Isn't it difficult and a bit too graphic?" Kris asks.

"It's not difficult, since I've been here for a while now. But I've always wanted to save people. I know saving people isn't necessarily about the heart but come to think of it, the heart is a pretty important organ. Even a tiny infection can harm a person greatly. Also, my parents will not approve of my going to Africa to help the people for free so I decided to contribute by becoming a doctor," Luhan replies.

"That's so cool. But do you know what I could do with my degree in human genetics which I got because of my parents?" Kris asks.

"Hm, study more and find a new way to cure genetic disorders. You will be saving hella lots of people," Luhan replies.

Although Luhan's answer isn't what Kris is looking for, the latter still laughs along with the doctor. There are only a few people who can invent such things and Kris knows he isn't one of them.

"Rest well," Luhan smiles.


Meanwhile, Kris rests at the café while Kai and Chanyeol take over. Tao huffs, holding his jacket closer to himself. He warms his fingers by holding onto the cup of warm Starbucks coffee. In his other hand, there is a paper bag with a sandwich and a chocolate cheese cake from Starbucks. He sighs when he enters the café because it's all warm and cosy.

"Is Kris here?" Tao asks, when he gets to the counter.

"He's resting. Why can't I serve you?" Kai whines.

Chanyeol, understanding immediately why Tao isn't here to order food, steps on Kai's foot.

"OW, hyung!" Kai yelps.

Chanyeol smiles at the customer before Tao and once the lady is gone he looks at Tao. "Follow me."

"Hyung, authorised personnel!" Kai says.

"I know," is Chanyeol's simple reply.


"Kris-ge, are you okay?" Tao asks, sitting by the side of Kris' bed.

"Yeah, I'm just really tired now. And my doctor told me not to move too much as well," Kris says.

"Your doctor? Are you sick?" Tao asks, worry lining his voice.

"No, I'm not. I just got something for my heart today. Don't worry about me, I'm fine," Kris says.

"Kris-ge, when will I meet your parents?" Tao asks. "Oh. And here, eat this. I bought it for you."

"Thank you," Kris smiles, hugging Tao. Remember, no love involved. "Not any time soon. They're all the way in Busan and I'm too lazy to drive there. By any chance, do you just wanna show up at their house and tell them you're my boyfriend?"

"No! You have to be there," Tao says and Kris grins.

Tao and Kris resume their normal conversation until Kai runs in all of a sudden. "Hyung, Lee Kikwang is here!"

Kai squeals and so does Tao.

"Hurry, bring him in!" Kris shouts to Kai, who is in a daze but still manages to follow Kris' order.

Let's start off with Lee Kikwang. He is an actor, quite a well known one for his cute face. He is also a singer, part of this boyband called B2ST. And why does Kris know him? Or how? It all started a long, long time ago. When Kris' step mother, a skilled cardiothoracic surgeon operated on Kikwang's mother. While the operation was on, Kikwang was waiting anxiously outside. Kris happened to be at the hospital at that time because it was his dad's and step mother's anniversary and he had to celebrate it with them. He knew that his step mother was in surgery and he saw a boy waiting outside. So he decided to talk to him. They also went to the same university, where Kris majored in human genetics and Kikwang majored in Literal Arts — Theater and Drama.

Kikwang is breathless when he arrives in the private room at the back of the café. The room is actually Kai and Chanyeol's bedroom but it's a hideout for now.

"So, Kikwang. I heard about the scandal. Is that why you are here?" Kris asks, stretched out on the bed.

"Yeah... The paps caught me and my girlfriend," Kikwang replies, in a huge breath.

Tao looks like he has stars in his eyes and he is hypnotized by the presence of Kikwang.

"Who's your girlfriend?" Tao asks, excitedly.

"Have you watched the 20's drama? You know the female lead? That's my girlfriend," Kikwang says.

"Hyung, there's a girl outside saying she's Kikwang's girlfriend," Kai bursts in again.

"Go have a look," Kris tells Kikwang, who peeks out of the three quarters closed door.

"Yeah, that's her. Let her in, please," Kikwang says.

"Kai, tell them if they don't go away, I will call the police. And bring her in through the back, please," Kris orders and Kai rushes off to fulfill his master's bidding.


Kris opens a drawer and takes out a pair of sunglasses, a black cloth mask and a hoodie.

"Take it. I will bring you to Cube later when they're gone. 50,000 won for that," Kris says.

"You're crazy, I'll give you 10,000 okay?" Kikwang says.

Kai appears in the room with the girl and Kikwang hugs her immediately. "Are you okay?"

She nods and looks at all the people all around. "Oppa, are they your friends?"

"Well, not all of them. Kris is my friend and also the owner of this café," Kikwang tells the girl with a smile.

Kris clears his throat. "20,000. Do you think this is funny? Paps aren't easy to escape. I'll send Kai as a pretense for them to follow and I'll take you and your girl out through the back."

"Don't you earn lots of money owning a café?" Kikwang whines.

"But you earn more than me, remember? Twenty dollars isn't much, right?" Kris asks and Kikwang pouts.

"Okay, okay," he hands the notes to Kris.

"Kai, wear these and distract the paparazzi," Kris orders.

Kai nods and hurriedly changes into the given clothes. It seems here that Kai follows all of Kris' orders and that's because he is the only submissive one here. Chanyeol works according to his own rules and Kris is fine with that because Chanyeol is well disciplined, well, in his work at least, unlike Kai who consistently breaks things. 


Kai walks out of the café and the paparazzi outside immediately follow him. They squeal  and screech Kikwang's name and snap shots of him running away. Meanwhile, in the café, Kris looks out for any waiting fans and once he deems the coast is clear, he sneaks Kikwang into his black Volvo. 

"Lie down on the seats," Kris says and Kikwang does as he is told.

Kris inserts his car key into the ignition and starts the engine. This car is specially tinted to help Kikwang when he can't save himself. And Kris has gotten a lot of money by just helping Kikwang escape the paparazzi. 

Kris drives along the highways, speeding occasionally until he reaches the entertainment building that Kikwang's group is a part of. Cube Entertainment, it reads and Kris turns into the building. He removes his sunglasses at the checkpoint and gives the security his identity card and cellphone. They're so strict about visitors.

Kris enters the building with Kikwang and his girlfriend, only to meet a really anxious B2ST and an angry manager.

Hyunseung immediately hugs Kikwang and whispers things into the other's hair, like they're some sort of couple.

"Kikwang, I need to talk to you right this second. You can all take the girl but don't bully her, okay? You'll have to do squats for a week if I catch any of you trying to do anything funny to Ki's girlfriend," the manager warns.


Kris counts the money and drives back to the café. Kai is there, panting. Tao is outside, talking to Kai, concerned, while Chanyeol has smartly called Suho for help. Knowing that Kai will not be much of counter help after running the streets, he called for the other waiter.

"So, how was it?" Kris asks.

"Hyung, I do enough exercise on my own," Kai pants. "Those girls are crazy. They were shocked when I took off my mask and yelled at them."

"You yelled at them? I thought you weren't the yelling kind," Kris asks, bewildered.

"Ah, screw whatever kind I am but it was really funny. I was like why are you all following me, are you crazy or something and they were all like sorry, sorry, we should have asked and stuff like that," Kai explains.

"You can shower and have off for the night. But no clubbing. I'm letting you rest," Kris says.


The next day, Kris surfs the internet for entertainment news. There is something that he did not really expect to become true though. Lee Kikwang Dating Scandal: Confirmed by CEO of Cube Entertainment. Kris sighs. That guy should know what he is doing, at least. Once you become an idol, you are not a human being anymore. You are a robot. Robots do not stop working at any point in time, neither, do they date or marry anyone.

The tiny bell tinks against the glass door of the café and Kris looks up. It's that girl, that Kikwang said is his girlfriend. Her name is Lee Da In or something close to that. Kris shoves the Macbook Air back to Tao, who stops eating his favorite bagel and starts reading the article. Kris walks to where Da In has seated at a two-seater table quietly.

"Is Kikwang coming?" Kris asks. Da In shakes her head and Kris slips into the chair opposite that is on the opposite of her. "Why are you here? Are you okay?"

Da In nods. "He's grounded too. Because of me."

"They confirmed it also. Protect yourself when you're outside as well. If you are in trouble and you're near here, just come in here, like Kikwang did. This place will be on lockdown whenever you want it to be. Okay?" Kris asks.

Da In smiles feebly and nods. "Do you have any female friends I can talk to?"

"I know one... but I'm not sure where she is right now..." Kris muses, taking out his phone.


"Yah, Park Hana, where are you right now?" Kris asks.

"Please do not be so loud. You're hurting my ears, you stupid elephant. I'm at home, why?" Hana replies.

"Can you come over for a bit? I need your help," Kris says.

"Why do you suddenly need my help? In all the three months that you were schooling in Korea, you only said that I am talking rubbish all the time and that I am very clumsy. I wanted to complain to the counsellor, you know," Hana argues.

"Okay, okay. It's not me who needs your expertise help. It's another friend of mine," Kris admits.

"Then, who is going to take care of all the children at home? My parents are in France for fashion events," Hana says.

"Bring them all here. Chanyeol will teach the boys how to make roasted coffee from the beans with a machine. And the two young ladies can play with the dolls under Kai's bed. I don't know if Hyosung is coming or not," Kris offers.

"Fair enough," Hana replies.


Chanyeol patiently explains to the boys, Haneul and Himchan, how to make the coffee from the beans. They learn with interest and Chanyeol is happy to teach them. Minji and her twin, Minah, play at the back of the café that is barricaded from the general public by Kris, with the dolls which he retrieved from underneath Kai's bed. Hana's older brother, Hyosung, and his German girlfriend, Annaliese, sit together in the other corner of the café by the window and are served warm cappucino with a heart drawn in the centre by Kris.

Hana slips into the chair across Da In. "Hi, I'm Park Hana, Kris' annoying friend and you are... oh my god, aren't you Kikwang's girlfriend?"

Da In nods shyly, not meeting Hana's eyes.

"So, how is it like, being attached to an idol?" Hana asks.

"Bad. Well, for now. Or forever, if his fans don't accept me," Da In says.

"Right. First things first, ignore them. It's kind of like, the basic. Start with ignoring their mean comments and you can pretty much rule them like that. They get tired after some time anyway. And once they're done, they either leave or stay. So, ignore them. Don't be afraid to update your Twitter or Instagram, because, really who cares if they're there, scrolling and judging?" Hana asks. Da In mutters a small thank you and Hana smiles.

Suddenly, Kai runs to Kris, who is by the side hearing Hana's "great" advice. "Hyung. He's here again."

[A/N: guess who he is. :D]


[Present]

Kris watches Tao, lying on the bed. Hospitals always seem scary. But they're scary because of the tools they use during surgery, or because of needles, medication or either the nurses and or doctors. But ask the patients who have been there for months, or at least, have gone through a kind of surgery or therapy. They say there is nothing to be afraid of. The person who invented anesthesia has saved many during surgeries that involves cutting a person open. The invention of glucose drips has helped those who are not able to eat solid food yet. And there are many like that.

Tao's eyes flutter open and he sits up slowly. Kris scoots to him and scrutinises his face and eyes. Tao's face is a pale shade, like all other patients and his eyes, they have changed from a light blue to a very faded out grey. [A/N: his eye color will be explained in the later chapters] Tao looks like he can die any day from now.

"Are you okay?" Kris asks. Tao nods, looking around the room. It's like a jail for him, not being able to move about freely. It's like a customised cell, with an inhouse visitor that is there 24/7.

"The physiotherapist will be here anytime soon. They decided that you shouldn't be bedridden for too long. In case, you have a chance of living out there in the world, they decided they might as well teach you to walk. And as long as there are no more casualties for the next two weeks, then you can be discharged," Kris says, reciting almost every single word that the doctor said to him.

"Oh, and here, I brought your crucifix necklace and Bible, like you asked me to," Kris says, handing Tao the religious items. Tao takes the items, muttering a short prayer before putting on the necklace. Then, he starts reading the Bible. Kris sits by the side, staring at the latter. Being an atheist, as he has been since he was born, Kris feels no pull towards any religion and the faith in it.

The door to the private ward swings open but instead of the physiotherapist, Kris' friend, Hana, walks in.

"How is he? How are you both?" She asks. "It has been years, except for the Christmas Gathering last year, since we've officially spent any time together. The last time we actually spoke to each other, was four years ago, when Kikwang's girlfriend came to your café."

"Oh, and speaking of Kikwang, here's a picture," she takes out a picture that has been crumpled terribly at the edges. "I was at their baby shower just now. Don't tell me your forgot that he left the boyband to pursue his acting career and also marry his girlfriend."

"I didn't forget and their baby is really cute," Kris answers.

"Good. So, now I've gotta go because it's Hyosung's wedding anniversary in some posh restaurant. You remember Annaliese, she's his wife now," Hana says.

"Have fun," Kris waves and Hana exits the private ward.


For four years at least, Kris has not met up with Kikwang. He calls the guy to the hospital and Kikwang does come, dressed comfortably in a hoodie and jeans. Not really an actor's style.

Kris bumps Kikwang and they smile. "Long time no see, huh?"

Kikwang nods and shows a picture of his year old daughter, Su Jin is her name, to Kris.

"I know," Kris takes out the already crumpled picture of Su Jin. "Hana gave this to me just about an hour ago."

"Yeah, it was our baby shower today. It was sad you couldn't come," Kikwang muses.

"I'm really sorry about that, but I just can't leave Tao alone. Just look at him," Kris states and Kikwang looks. The latter is squatting in the corner of the ward, muttering religious verses from the Bible.

"Is he alright?" Kikwang asks, concerned. What he actually means is, Is Tao mentally stable?

"Yeah, just let him do his religious stuff," Kris says.

"Anyways, if you don't mind, come to my house later for dinner. You can meet Su Jin and Da In as well," Kikwang says.

"No problem, I'll be there," Kris replies.


Tao grips tightly on the bar, while trying to stabilise himself in a standing position.

"This is so difficult," Tao murmurs.

Kris looks around and the physiotherapist does not seem to be in sight. "Just do it like how you did when you squatted on the floor of the ward."

Tao rolls his eyes. "That's different."

Kris sighs. Isn't walking then and walking now all the same. It's still walking anyway.

"Please, just behave yourself and do it properly. You can rest after this," Kris turns once more to look out for the physiotherapist. But when he turns back, Tao is on the ground, his eyes closed. He's breathing all right but did he faint... or is he pretending so he can escape this horrible physiotherapy session?


A/N: This is more or less a filler chapter worth 3.5k words [3,591]. I didn't plan this properly, which is why description is little and there is more conversation added for easier understanding. A part where I mentioned Tao's eyes to be of a blue/grey color, just to clear any doubts, throughout the story somewhere, Tao will go for a laser surgery, where the melanin in his eyes are removed. This kinda explains his light eyes in the present sections of each chapter. So.. yeah. I hope you all like this story and please comment and upvote for karma points!

Guest appearances by: Lee Kikwang of B2ST, Lee Da In from the 20's Drama and an other character called Park Hana

So I guess that's it. saranghae my lovelies ♥