▌│█║▌║▌║ ¢нαρтєя 3 ║▌║▌║█│▌

If You Love Something, Let It Go

It's one of Kris' off nights when the café will close right after dinner. That means there will be no bar for the night. Kai is serving orders for the patronisers and Chanyeol is maintaining the Please Wait To Be Served line outside. Kris walks to the kitchen where the two chefs, Xiumin and Chen, are in a hurry making the orders that are streaming like a tsunami made of paper.

"You guys okay? I can make the drinks. Suho is maintaining the counter outside."

Xiumin nods for Kris to go to make the drinks waiting on the list. Drinks are the easiest to make and once Kris is done with the list which is as long as Rapunzel's hair, he calls for Kai to collect all the orders.


"Please hyung, can we go to Dark Ecstasy tonight?" Chanyeol pleads. The café is now in a state of being cleaned before closing time. Kai is wiping and bussing tables while Kris is cleaning up the counter and the two chefs are cleaning the kitchen.

"Go and bus the tables with Kai and then we'll sit and talk about it. Not a fan of clubs and never will be," Kris says.

"Please come this one time okay? Maybe you can find someone to uh... never mind, I won't be bothering you because I'll be with Baekhyunie," Chanyeol says.

"Oh, that she male kid?" Kris looks up from wiping dirt off the counter.

"Hyung, Baekhyun is not she male. He's fully male," Chanyeol states firmly.

"Well, then why is he able to let a baby grow in his stomach? That's a woman's job. But I don't care if he is a girl or boy anyway. Go and help Kai now," Kris says.


Life is more alive at night and Kris, Chanyeol and Kai stand outside Dark Ecstasy. The biggest club in town. And the most popular among people of the twenties. Kris is friends with the club owner and that makes life hella easier. Lightly dressed girls either with their girl friends or boyfriends walk into the direction of the club. Music can be heard outside and it's so damn loud even the ground is vibrating to the heavy beat of the music. That's in the menu of a youth's night life. Don't question it.

Once inside, Chanyeol and Kai disappear from Kris' side to have fun by themselves. So that's what they mean Hyung, I won't be bothering you. Chanyeol would most probably be at the bar, talking to his she male boyfriend, Baekhyun. But hey, even if she male is a kind of joke among the trio, Baekhyun is undoubtedly the best bartender in town and he looks absolutely gorgeous with winged eyeliner. Even Kris finds it funny how Baekhyun found a thing in Chanyeol. He's just a happy virus spreading happiness with his cute smiles and aegyo anyway. As for Kai, he is an amazing dancer and Kris, no matter how straight he claims to be, he finds that Kai's dance moves are like a bomb. And he only heard to his dismay, that Kai was dating (or not) a psychologist from the biggest hospital in Seoul. His name is... Do... Do Kyungsoo!

"Hey man," Someone slaps Kris' shoulder. Kris has been sitting at the bar alone until this guy arrived.

"Myungsoo?" Kris turns around.

"It's me, don't you remember? I went to school with you in Canada. But seriously man, do you hate clubbing that much because I don't see you around here often," Myungsoo says. Myungsoo, Kim Myungsoo, is the owner of Dark Ecstasy. And one of Kris' friends. He has been for a very long time. Since the day Kris spilt milk on his freshly washed elementary school uniform. No matter how old Kris gets, he will still remember that fateful day, when he made a great friend.

It's break time and the teachers, tall, skinny women, go around with biscuits and small cups of milk. Kris sits beside another Korean boy, Myungsoo, and chews quietly on his biscuit. The other kids, mostly Canadian, talk about their latest toys and gadgets while Kris just looks at them. They're having so much fun. It's hard to fit in, being a foreign child and also made to learn a foreign language at such a young age. The boy, Myungsoo, also doesn't talk much. He always speaks in a different tongue, that most children except Kris understands. To his mother, or caretaker, whoever that lady who always fetches him is. Kris, although, not really noticed during class, begins to talk with the other children about the latest Power Ranger. The only thing he doesn't notice is that his cup is on the edge of the table. And when he is in the middle of vividly describing his adventure with the latest Power Ranger, he accidentally knocked his cup down. The milk undoubtedly falls onto Myungsoo's pants and Kris begins to apologise multiple times. The apologies come in variations of Korean and English, both mianhae and I'm sorry getting mixed up. Kris bows, keeps bowing to the boy whilst apologising. But Myungsoo stops him.

"It's okay. My eomma will wash my uniform for me when I go home," Myungsoo says in Korean.

"Your eomma?" Kris asks in the same tongue, remembering his biological mother.

"Yes. My eomma," Myungsoo replies with a smile. "Let's be friends so I can tell her that I made a friend. She will be very happy."

"I won't say I hate it. I just don't like it," Kris shrugs. The bartender serves Myungsoo immediately, recognising his boss. "How's life in here? It's so dark, sweaty, smelly and gross. How do you even take it? And I have one question. Why do you even name this club Dark Ecstasy? You took drugs and thought it was awesome or something?"

"Life is great actually. 'Cause I'm not mingling with the people here. It's not dark, sweaty, smelly and gross for me. Well, I gave it it's name because I think it's cool. Ecstasy is like a happiness thing and happiness is usually related to bright things and places. So I added Dark for a contradiction. And NO, I have not taken any kind of drug except when I was sick," Myungsoo does his trademark swerve. "Oh. And I found this really cute guy. His name is Sungjong and you should meet him. He is really shy around other people and acts quiet and mysterious but once you all go away, he becomes this giant ball of cuteness."

"You, my dear Myungsoo, are hopelessly in love with this Sungjong guy. Because as far as I know and remember from our high school days, you don't ever talk like this. Even to the girls in our school." Kris states, sipping his Cognac.

"Why don't you come join me and a few others in my office at the back. It's more private than here," Myungsoo suggests.


Kris follows Myungsoo to the back of the club, into a room beside the latter's office. A slender and fair boy stands up when Myungsoo enters and walks towards him and gives a chaste kiss on the latter's lips. Kris enters after Myungsoo and gasps silently. There is Tao, sitting on the couch in all his glory and drinking.

"Have a seat, my friend," Myungsoo gestures to the couch which Tao and another man is seated on. Kris sits beside Tao without a word and waits for Myungsoo to introduce everyone.

"First off, this is Sungjong, my lovely boyfriend I was talking about earlier," Myungsoo kisses Sungjong once more. "And this is Sungyeol. He is like my brother, though he is not and don't you think it's funny how he got me arrested for nothing and we're best friends now? And, this is Zitao, Huang Zitao, my Chinese contact who is currently here for a job assignment. Everyone, this is one of my closest friends and a person I've known for years, Wu Yifan. Or just Kris." The men break into smiles as Kris stands up to shake their hands. And he shakes Tao's as if he doesn't already know him.

"His café is great, you know. I've been visiting it for a while now," Tao says, out of the blue.

"Whose? Kris?" Sungyeol asks, to which Tao nods.

"You have a café? Never heard of it..." Sungyeol muses, taking a sip out of his cup.

"You should visit it some time. It's called Moonlight," Kris replies.

The rest of the nights is filled with liquor and laughter as the men talk and share jokes. Kai and Chanyeol are easily forgotten about and as funny as the shared jokes may be, all men are drunk and stumbling as they walk. Myungsoo sends both Tao and Kris back to Kris' apartment complex in a cab after saying their goodbyes.


Kris shifts and opens his eyes. He groans when he realizes that he'd been sleeping on the floor of his apartment the entire night. Kris is in a blank, blissful state as he yawns, thinking that there is no work for the day. Suddenly, the red blanket covering him is pulled and Kris turns to the source of the pull.

"Tao?" He lifts the blanket. Both men are only in their underwear and he has no idea what happened to them both the previous night. Seriously, how the hell did Tao even get into his apartment? Surely, the lock is not broken...

Tao yawns and sits up. "Kris?"

They look at their torsos and then at each other.

"I think you have a little something there," Kris says uneasily, pointing at a purplish bruise near Tao's shoulder.

"You too," Tao says.

"Look, whatever the hell happened last night, I'm sorry," Tao stands up and bows a ninety degrees to Kris, who is still seated on the floor.

"It doesn't matter, really," Kris brushes the younger male's respect off.

"Kris, can I ask for a favour? Can you be my boyfriend to cover this up? Please?" Tao asks all of a sudden.

"No love involved, right?" Kris asks.

Tao shakes his head and Kris remembers Park Bom and his stupid engagement when he sees a diamond ring on Tao's pinky finger. Probably not real since he's wearing it on his right pinky.

"Wait! Stop where you are. Is that diamond real?" Kris asks and Tao shakes his head.

"Do you have a similar ring like that?" Kris asks.

"Why?"

"Do you have it or not?" Kris is impatient.

"I should have," Tao fishes around in his pocket, remembering the shopping at the night market the previous night. Kris heaves a huge sigh of relief when Tao takes out a ring similar to his.

"Please let me borrow this. Wear yours on your left ring finger as I will do with mine. To cut the long story short, my parents want me to marry a girl that I don't even like. Please just pretend that you're marrying me so that they'll drop their fantasies. And act like you really love me. Please. I'll pay you if you really don't want to do it for free. Please, just help me this one time. I really can't stand that girl. I beg of you," All the words stream out of Kris' mouth at one go.

"What are you talking about?" Tao's gaze softens, as he caresses Kris' cheek. "I'll do anything for you. And for free." Kris smiles, feeling Tao's closeness.

"Don't worry, Kris-ge. I actually don't mind taking advantage of those pretty little lips of yours when I meet your parents," Tao smirks, pulling on his trousers.


Kris is "engaged" now. He walks to work happily, knowing that he can finally escape this horrible arranged marriage. It's so old, who even does it anymore?

"Hyung, you are hella late," Chanyeol muses when Kris strides into the café, not breathless and not a single hair out of place. An exact opposite of what a late person should look like.

"Excuse me, Park Chanyeol, who's the boss here?" Kris asks coolly. "Watch your mouth before I cut your pay for a month."

"He's too kind to do it," Kai whispers to Chanyeol and Kris glares at the youngest guy.

"You too, Jongin. I'm watching you," Kris warns.


Tao walks to Dark Ecstasy and waves to the security camera as he enters. The club is bare and empty and Tao heads to the back, where Myungsoo's office is. There is a tinted glass door with a name plate on it that reads Kim Myungsoo. Tao barges in without knocking and there is Myungsoo making out with Sungjong who is held tightly against the wall by the other.

"You guys need Jesus," Tao sighs, flopping onto the cough.

"Did your mom ever teach you to knock?" Myungsoo rolls his eyes. He pours some Cognac for Tao as well as himself.

"Jongie-yah, can you help me fill up the renewal of club license form while I talk to this bastard over here?" Myungsoo asks and Sungjong nods.

Myungsoo brings both cups to the couch and hands one to Tao. "So how was last night?"

"You lost, obviously," Tao sticks out his tongue. "He agreed to be my boyfriend but for a different purpose. Now pay up."

Myungsoo fishes out 500,000 won and hands it to Tao who happily accepts it. There's lots of things you can do with 500,000 won.

"But it was like he felt so awkward being around me and about everything else. Maybe I creeped him out?" Tao asks.

"No, no, no. You didn't, seriously. Kris is just like that. I know him inside and out because I've been with him my entire school life in Canada. Elementary to university, all the way," Myungsoo says.

"Really?"

"He just has problems showing his emotions. To him, it's like a practice from a parallel universe. I mean, he couldn't even ask a girl out on Valentine's Day when I dared him to. Plus, I made it super easy for him. I picked someone who actually liked him. Some people are just like that, I guess," Myungsoo shrugs. "Now I've paid you already, so go away. Have some lovely with him as I will do with mine and we'll share about it tomorrow, okay?"

Tao stands up and rolls his eyes. That bastard is drunk already in the middle of the day.

"Bye Sungjong," Tao waves to the other guy who is still filling out paperwork.


[Present]

"ICU Code Blue... ICU Code Blue," the alarm sounds. Many doctors rush from their posts to see what the matter is. Sehun puts down his book Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery: All About It  book and removes his reading glasses. It could be his patient, Huang Zitao, for all he knows. He puts on his doctor's coat and rushes to the Intensive Care Unit.

There is Park Bom, the anesthesiologist on his surgery team, checking for Tao's pulse and a bunch of other doctors standing around Tao's bed. The cardiac monitor does not register any more heartbeats and his chest is still.

"Prepare for surgery," Sehun orders. Bom nods and with two other nurses, she wheels his bed out of the room. Sehun needs to find a scrub nurse and a first assistant now. It's difficult, being rather late at night. The only person who comes to his mind is Jeon Jeongguk, a third year medical student who is studying scrub nursing. He's third year anyway, so he should know the basics.


"Scalpel," Sehun orders and he is given one by Jeongguk, his scrub nurse medical student.

Sehun effortlessly cuts Tao's chest open, only to find the pulmonary vein bleeding. The pulmonary vein supplies fresh oxygenated blood to the heart but it has been cut on the side by the bypass that Sehun previously installed to ensure proper oxygen flow on Tao's left* lung.

"Doctor Kim, please stitch it up," Sehun says. And Taehyung, the first assistant surgeon on Sehun's team does as he is told.

"Bom, call for the head of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery," Sehun says. (Sehun is not in that department, although he was reading a book about it)

Luhan, the head of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery shows up in the operating theater. "What is the matter?"

"Can you just check his heart? To see if it's functioning properly, because we've fixed what we have to but he's still having a weak heartbeat," Sehun replies.

Taehyung adjusts the bypass such that it will not move and harm other blood vessels again. Luhan steps to the side of the operating table to have a closer look at Tao's beating heart.

"He's stable now. Well, for now. But look here, all of you, there is a layer of fat around his heart and that is constricting normal heartbeat. You need to clear that off first. This layer of fat was mistaken to be the pericardium by the surrounding organs and hence, when you remove it, there will be no lubricant to reduce friction during heartbeat. This can be dangerous for the heart. So, I will add a substitute for pericardium, made of gelatin and a couple of other drugs to make sure that his body does not reject the substitute. This substitute, however, can only be injected, so you'll have to clear the fat and stitch him up," Luhan explains.

"Doctor Kim, finish up the surgery for me, please," Sehun says.


Tao is wheeled back to the ward to a very worried looking Kris. Kris scowls at Bom, who merely retorts back that she didn't touch him at all after hearing the nurse's story. Luhan strides in, with a bag of injections and pills.

"Move over," he says.

"Are you okay?" Sehun whispers to his husband, gently rubbing his back.

"Hush, I need to concentrate. I don't have an X-Ray machine at my fingertips and I'm doing this based off experience," Luhan replies.

He feels for a certain spot near the centre of Tao's chest, where underneath the layer of skin and a ribcage, Tao's beating heart lies. The needle attached to the syringe is a rather long one so that it will be able to reach Tao's heart. Luhan tests the syringe to see if the liquid will come out and once he is ready, he injects Tao. Tao's heart rate increases and the cardiac monitor beeps rapidly. Tao breathes harder, his chest rising and falling very quickly.

"Doctor Park, please hurry inject this into his system. He'll reject it if you don't hurry," Luhan hands the bag of liquids to Bom, who stands at the side. She flips open the cover of a tube and pokes a needle inside. She empties the syringe and Tao begins to relax, his heart rate falling slowly and his breathing more measured.

"Is he okay?" Kris asks.

"Yes, he will be," Luhan replies.

"Sehun, let's go," Luhan says quickly and pulls Sehun away.

"Wait, Bom, I want to talk to you," Kris says.


Kris refuses to leave Tao's side, hence he didn't want to talk in the cafeteria with Bom. He made her stay inside Tao's room.

"I can't bear to look at him now. It's sickening, watching him suffer like that," Kris admits, cringing.

"He's not suffering. He's in good hands, trust me. Luhan is a good doctor. Sehun is too," Bom says. "But, Kris, can I ask you one thing?"

Kris nods.

"Would you feel like that, if I was him?" She asks.

Kris stares back at her but Bom refuses to meet his gaze. "I... Bom, I don't know. I hate to break it out now of all times, but I never felt a thing for you. I'm sorry. That's why I don't know. Please don't hate me because I wish to remain friends."

"It's okay, Kris. Really. I don't hate you because I know how much you love him. Tao is a nice guy. I've talked to him, when you aren't here and when he's awake. He's really friendly and open, much better than a useless I am. I guess that's why you fell for him. His personality is great and you both fit like a puzzle piece. I'm so sorry he has to go through all this pain now, when he is so young," Bom replies.

"Bom, I may not like you like that, but I do care, okay? You're not a useless and when I first met you, I thought you were nice too. You were pretty, well you still are, but the feelings just never occurred to me," Kris replies.

"I should go now. My roommate Chaerin is probably up waiting for me," Bom says. Kris hugs her before she leaves.

Then he sits down in the chair and takes a good look at Tao. Peaceful looking as he rests, but suffering so much on the inside.


A/N: 3.1k words not counting the author's note. I'm so happy omg. I've never written 3k+ words. ANyway, this chapter is just me showing off my bio knowledge. like lol. ew now i feel so disgusted with myself. anywho, i hope you liked it so remember to comment and upvote! For karma points! ♥

Guest appearance by INFINITE's maknae line and BTS' maknaes (:

*left lung. hm, it's complicated. when sehun looks at Tao, the lung mentioned, the left lung looks like it's on the right side as he is viewing it... but actually if the person you're looking at stands up, the lung is on the person's left, hence, the term LEFT LUNG :D, study transport in Man, you will understand haha ♥

saranghae my lovelies ♥