▌│█║▌║▌║ ¢нαρтєя 8 ║▌║▌║█│▌

If You Love Something, Let It Go

A/N: hey guys, compared to other chapters, this chapter will be a short one. Once you read it, you will know why. :)


 Two months. Just two months. Tao is already bedridden, experiencing long hours of pain. He feels as if he is on his deathbed, writhing, holding his chest and crying. And this is how Tao ended up in the hospital once again. Maybe he finally understands what the verse: A man shall not lie with another man as he does with a woman means. It is a sinful act. Or rather, a double sinful act. One, for being with Kris and two, for not following God's word. This is what he gets in return, for doing things his own way. And over time, machines were implanted inside him to help him.


 

[Present]

It had only been the tenth day of their marriage. The tenth day. Not even a month, not even a fortnight. Tao is back in the hospital all over again, tubes and machines fussing over him. Those devices in him, they just help to make life easier. A little. Tao is in extreme pain, though, is now knocked out because of a strong painkiller by the name of morphine. He's never going to make it. Now that Kris knows all about this, about Tao's failing lungs and heart, he fears for the worst. That's all Kris can do. Be scared. For Tao, and for himself. He may hold a degree in medicine but what does he know about Tao's condition? The morphine will wear off anytime soon and Kris looks forward to that. He needs Tao to be awake to instill the hope in him, he needs - wants to speak to Tao. He wants to hear Tao's lovely voice, to drown in the huskiness of it. Just at that moment, as Kris is in deep thought, Tao grabs onto his fingers and his eyes open slowly. He blinks, adjusting his vision. From a slow, steady heartbeat, it increases accordingly and Tao is fine for now.

"I'm sorry," Tao whispers. The huskiness is there, but it is soft and Tao looks and sounds so dead.

Kris squeezes Tao's fingers. "Don't be." Kris isn't one to cry at these kind of things but he feels tears well in his eyes. The sight of Tao, an oxygen mask over his mouth, tubes coiling around him like snakes, it's like a stab to Kris' heart. So painful yet so painless.

A male nurse walks in with a syringe in his hand. He flips open the cover of a tube that leads to an opening on Tao's right forearm. Before he injects the transparent liquid, Kris stops him.

"What is that?" Kris questions.

"Morphine. He isn't supposed to be awake anyway," the male nurse replies. "According to Doctor Oh, he needs rest."

"So that Oh Sehun doesn't know what to do anymore, right? Why let Tao suffer if he knows that it will end this way?" Kris asks, his tears threatening to fall over the edges of his waterline. "Answer me!"

The nurse just shrugs and exits the room after muttering an 'excuse me'. It's obvious he has not dealt with such people before.

"I heard my name," Of all people Kris wants to see right now, Sehun enters. Sehun meets Kris' red, teary eyes. "And, it's not that I don't know what to do, Yifan-ssi. It's just that... there is nothing I can do. I have done all I can to help him.  If he goes, then he goes. Have you ever heard? The day of your death has been established since the day you were born. There is no changing it."

Kris sniffs, his tears falling uncontrollably. Tao is asleep once again due to the morphine. 

"Then why did you make me pay loads of money if you knew it will end this way?" Kris asks, stealing another glance at the sleeping Tao. 

"Did Tao ever tell you that you only paid for the materials used in the surgeries? Every other cost was revoked. Yifan-ssi, you're not the only one going through trouble here. Luhan and I are too," Sehun reasons out.

"Luhan? Luhan was part of all these too?" Kris asks. "Why was I the only one in the dark about all of these? What did you all think you could achieve from not letting me know about Tao's illness?"

Sehun shakes his head. "You've got it wrong. It wasn't me. It was Tao. He was the one who requested that you do not know about his condition. Because,  by right, guardians are supposed to know everything. 

"Just... get out. Don't bother us anymore," Kris looks intently at the door, believing only one thing. Tao will never not let him know anything about him.


After the second dosage of morphine is over, Tao is awake once again. He talks more this time. 

"Do you remember when I told you what my mom said?  That if you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it's yours but if it doesn't it was never yours? I hope you live by it and not dwell on me when I pass. It will be hard for you and I wouldn't like it if you hung onto me either. So please, do me a favor and move on when I go," Tao says. Kris smiles sadly but holds hope as Tao speaks. The only thing he doesn't notice is Tao's decreasing heart rate.

"Yifan-ge, I hate to say this but you must listen to me. This was also a quote from my mother. I was the moon of your life, the dull space object, that only brought darkness upon your days. But you were my sun and stars, the person that made my days bright and happy. I knew I was going to die but you removed that thought from my mind. You made me laugh and smile, you were there when I cried and when I celebrated, but..." Kris hates the 'but' parts. They're always the contradicting subject, always the sad, most hated part of the quote. 

"But just like the sun and moon, we were never meant to share the same sky," Tao continues. He blinks a few more times before his gaze locks permanently on a certain spot in the room. His hand falls limp out of Kris' and it is the beeping machine that startles Kris out of his reverie. But he is a moment too late. He has already lost Tao. The colour of Tao's face fades away, his skin turning from baby soft to rock hard. This isn't Tao, it's just another corpse on a hospital bed. This time, Kris really cries, a whole waterfall of tears cascading down his cheek at one go. One last look at the body before it is wheeled out of the room. He looks so peaceful and no one will be able to wake him from his slumber. It is time for him to rest and he has gone to do so now. Kris remembers his words clearly, etched into his mind with a burning metal rod. Forget me and move on. I wouldn't like it if you held onto me after I pass. Kris doesn't want to upset Tao so he just decides that it is time to man up. We're all humans, we are born and we all die someday. It is just a matter of when. There is nothing on this Earth that can stop death, only things that can hold it off, but never stop it. It is much too powerful to be stopped.

 


I hope you don't bash me with a stick for this sudden short chapter. Now that you have read it, you know that it is finally ending. So yeah, I'm sorry that Tao had to die. It's just part of the plan.

So I hope that you like it and will support it. Please remember to comment and upvote! 

Saranghae my lovelies ♥ 

2hyun5ever