7

Hold My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Yifan grumbled under his breath as he threw a pair of bright yellow socks to his cousin and quickly shuffled back to the closet and looked for a fluffy beanie. He puffed his cheeks in annoyance and tiptoed to grab the beanie from the top compartment.

Yifan felt his head was going to explode when he turned around only to see Jongin furiously fumbled with the button and fly of his pants. “Jongin, please be quick. We need to go! Like now! You’re so slow like a snail.”

“Hyung, help me with this. I just can’t- hyung!” Jongin whined in frustration and pointed at the button of his pants. “I can’t get it into the hole.”

Yifan breathed out loudly, obviously annoyed with his little cousin. He slipped the beanie over Jongin’s head, leaving a tuft of hair out in the front and knelt down to help the smaller boy with the button. “Why can’t you get it done yet?"

“Stop getting angry, hyung. I’m asking you because mama isn’t here.” Jongin pouted, his lower lip jutted out a good inch. “Besides, you only have one cousin. Me. Be nice to me hyung.”

“Alright, my dear cousin.” Yifan said, emphasized the word ‘cousin’ to mock Jongin but the smaller boy mistook it as a declaration of love, making him to squeal like a happy dolphin.

“My dear cousin.” Jongin bounced on his heels as soon as Yifan successfully got the button and zipper done.  

Yifan and Jongin left the house, hand by hand, after one hour struggling to put Jongin into his clothes. They speedwalked to Kyungsoo’s house and found the boy had already waited for them outside.

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin shouted from afar, feeling extremely excited to see his friend after 18 hours 37 minutes 25 seconds.

Kyungsoo seemed to jump in surprise at the loud call of his name and lifted up his head from the cat on his lap. He smiled widely and waved back at Jongin and Yifan.

Jongin gaped at the cute orange cat playing with Kyungsoo on the swing.

“You have a cat?” Jongin asked breathlessly, his eyes grew larger as he watched the cat purred and curled into a fluffy ball. “How come I didn’t know about this?”

Kyungsoo giggled when his cat his hand. He lifted the cat and kissed him in the face. “I thought you don’t like cats since you only told me about your puppies.”

“No!” Jongin shook his head vigorously. “I don’t hate cats. I love them! They’re the best after puppies.”

Kyungsoo fixed his gaze and stared at Jongin for a good while, until Jongin started to feel shy and fidget on his feet. “Do you want to hold him? He bites sometimes but I think he won’t bite you. He’s in a good mood today.”

Jongin’s lips immediately curved into a wide smile and he stretched out his hands to get the cat. A gleeful giggle escaped his lips when the cat looked at him with big, glassy eyes. He made a quick mental note to ask his father to get him a new pet, a fluffy, fat cat, just like Kyungsoo’s.

Yifan glared at the two boys who were obviously delaying him. “We don’t have time for this. Cut it out now.”

Jongin furrowed his brows and narrowed his eyes at YIfan. His cousin was so grumpy and restless since he stepped into his house earlier. “Why are you so rushing? It’s not like Joonmyun’s house is going to grow legs and run from us.”

Yifan took a deep breath, his annoyed expression melted into a worried one. “Joonmyun is sick. We need to see him now.”

Jongin made a choked sound behind his throat while Kyungsoo felt his breath hitched suddenly. “WHAT?!”

 

 

~~

 

 

The boys were so quiet and stiff when Siwon opened Joonmyun’s door to them. They were practically frozen on their spots until Siwon let out a chuckle and ushered them to come inside. They entered and were greeted with the sight of Joonmyun sleeping in the bed.

Joonmyun’s face was ghostly pale and his nose was red like a Rudolph.

Yifan bit his lower lip. His heart ached so much to see Joonmyun looking so weak and small underneath the blanket. He felt a sudden urge to run to Joonmyun’s side and tell him that he would take the pain away, that everything will be alright.  

Yifan took hold of Joonmyun’s hand and laced their fingers together. He gazed down at Joonmyun with sadness written all over his face and he pressed the palm of his hand gently against Joonmyun’s small forehead. Instantly, he flinched and gasped at the feeling of heat burning on Joonmyun’s skin.

“I want to touch his forehead too.” Jongin stepped forward and pushed Yifan’s hand away to touch Joonmyun’s forehead. He let out a shriek and pulled his hand away just after three seconds.

Joonmyun stirred and made a little groaning noise.  

“Ssshhh.” Yifan shushed Jongin, his face scrunched up in irritation. “He’s sleeping.”

“Joonmyun, please get well soon.” Jongin whispered and slid his hand under the blanket to hold Joonmyun’s hand. “I’m sad when you sick.”

The ends of Yifan’s mouth curled down unconsciously.

Shuffling closer to the bed, Kyungsoo bit his lower lip. His nose was red, his eyes were already brimmed with fresh tears as he slowly sat on the edge of the bed. He stared at Joonmyun with quivered lips. “Is Myunie going to be okay, Siwon hyung?”

“Joonmyun is going to be alright.” Siwon gave Kyungsoo a reassuring smile and quickly ruffled his hand through the boy’s hair. “Don’t worry, he’ll get better soon.”

Soon, Yifan’s nose was starting to turn into red too. He could feel tears at the back of his eyes as he looked up at Siwon. “How soon?”

“Let’s check his temperature to figure it out. I believe his fever must have gone a little bit.” Siwon said as he grabbed a digital thermometer from the side table.

The boys watched Siwon poked the thermometer into Joonmyun’s ear with tightly pressed, pursed lips.

Siwon sighed when he looked at the thermometer reading. The fever was still there.

“Is he okay now?”

Siwon wore a feigned smile and nodded his head at the boys. “He’s okay now.”

The boys smiled with evident relief.  They wanted to ask more but a sudden soft groan made them closed their mouth back. Joonmyun slowly fluttered his eyes open. He blinked for a few times and tried to sit up but Yifan quickly went to his side and pressed a hand against his chest.

Joonmyun whimpered and rolled on his side to look at his friends. His whole body was sore and stiff but his lips curled up into a smile when Yifan brushed his hair from his forehead.

“You should sleep when you’re sick. My mama told me that.” Jongin said. “Don’t move until you’re totally recovered.”

Siwon Joonmyun’s hair and leaned down to kiss his little brother’s forehead. “Sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter