Chapter 8

Maybe Tomorrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now reaching the end of high school, Sungah decides to take her relationship with Ryeowook to the next level. 

Maybe Tomorrow: Part 1

We're Ready:

Ryeowook played the piano gracefully, trying to master every key. He loved being able to do this again.

He was seventeen now, and he was happy to say he actually lost a little weight. He still had a long way to go, but you could definitely see that most of his features were more noticable on his face. His jawline, nose, and chin, and maybe his cheek bones. He was still overweight nonetheless, but he felt like he looked way better than he did in middle school, which was two and a half years ago. I guess you could say, he looked, cute.

He was in the auditorium of his school practicing a song he must get right by next week. As he played, he went over a list of songs in his head, thinking of what he should sing for a certain contest. By going to this school, he discovered how much he loved singing and performing. He wanted to do more than sing for his parents in his living room, or even Sungah. Sungah. He could remember singing to her for the first time a month ago. He somehow brought up singing his mom happy birthday and it immediately turned into Sungah begging him to sing for her. When he sang in front of Sungah, the way his heart raced, he might as well be singing in front of thousands of people.

"It sounds great!" Sungah opened the door to the auditorium and ran down the aisle. She hopped up the small set of stairs and sat next to him at the piano. "Ryeowookie, I thought of the perfect song for you to sing! It's 'the Slow Pace of the Child'. It's okay if you don't want to, but it's by Ko Yoojin, and I know how much you love Ko Yoojin, so I just thought-"

"Thank you Sungah." Ryeowook interuppted her babbling. "You're a life saver!"

Every song he tried picking either , or just wasn't right. He was so thankful he could depend on her.

"Now, why don't you finish what you were playing before I walked in?" Said Sungah.

"If you insist." Ryeowook smiled sweetly. He put his fingers on the keys.

She looked at him the whole time he played. The way he played was beautiful. The way she looked at him, she couldn't look away and she didn't want to. He was perfect to her, in every way. From the corner of his eye, he saw her loving gaze, and he felt his heart speed up. His rocking nerves made him mess up at the end.

"Here." Sungah placed her gently on top of his and corrected his pattern. "It should be done, a little more like this."

Ryeowook let out a nervous chuckle, barely audible. The way her hands were on his, was different this time. Whenever she had any kind skinship with him, it was because they were friends and Sungah is just really bubbly. Now there were both nervous.

The atomosphere changed when Sungah's hands didn't move from his. She felt a strange sensation in her stomach. Anxiety? Why was her heart racing so fast because of him? Why did she feel like looking at her knees was more comfortable than looking into his eyes? Why was feeling dry all of a sudden? Her palms suddenly felt clamy. The two of them slowly lifted their heads, unable to look each other in the eyes. They focused on each other's lips instead. It felt as if time stopped. Ryeowook and Sungah were alone in their own little world. He felt funny. He wasn't afraid, yet he was scared to death at the same time. Without even thinking about it, he began to slowly lean in, feeling the moment was right. It's been almost three years. He was going to kiss her.

Sungah leaned in as well as she laced her fingers with his, both of their eyes slowly falling shut. He was ready to kiss her. He didn't care if they were still just friends anymore. He loved her and he was going to prove it. Their lips got dangerously close. They could feel each other's breath hitting their skin.

Come on Ryeowook. Be a man. Go hard or go home.

That's when the loud bell rang. Just when he was about to close the tiniest gap between them, the bell rang. Sungah immediately backed away and released his hands. She looked at her lap instead of him. The moment immediately went from romantic to awkward.

"We-We shouldn't be kissing yet." Sungah said in a quiet, mumbled voice. "You know, since we're still just friends and all."

Sungah fidgeted awkwardly with her fingers, not used to feelings a thousand things at once. Ryeowook just nodded nervously in return.

"I-I have to get something." Sungah grabbed her bag quickly and stood. "Don't forget that you're still taking me home today."

Ryeowook nodded. He felt like he lost his voice, he couldn't even say a simple, "yes Sungah" or, "okay Sungah".

Sungah quickly left the awkward-filled room, allowing Ryeowook to slam his hands the piano ke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter