Chapter 22

Maybe Tomorrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungah seeks advice, not knowing what to do about her situation. Ryeowook makes a difficult decision.

Maybe Tomorrow

Revealed:
 

"You're what? Sungah, no, don't say that to me. Are you, I'm sorry but are you an idiot?"

For the past ten minutes, Donghae had been talking to Sungah about Sungah's top secret situation. 

"Donghae, I'll just make his life harder. He deserves better than me." Sungah stood from her spot on the couch.

"It's been almost another four days, Sungah. Why haven't you told him? Donghae asked, freaking out, "What's taking so long?"

"I don't know. Look, I know I have to tell him, okay? I know he'll find out eventually, but it'll hurt him, Donghae." Sungah crossed her arms. "If he finds out, he won't love me anymore. He'll be done with me. I know it. I can't do it."

"Sungah, Ryeowook isn't like that. He's a good person who loves you very much. It's going to hurt him more by keeping it from him. Like you said, he's going to find out sometime."

"I don't know if I can."

"If you don't tell Ryeowook, then I will."

"Tell me what?" Ryeowook opened the front door and walked in. "Did I hear my name?"

"No, you didn't." Sungah lied, feeling her nerves on edge. "It's about time you got back, though. We need to go. SoonYee's waiting for us."

"I'll see you guys later than." Donghae turned to Sungah and whispered. "You better do it soon. You understand?"

"Yes," Sungah whispered back. She grabbed Ryeowook's hand and pulled him out the door.

"Are you sure I didn't hear my name?" Ryeowook asked.

"I'm sure, Ryeowookie." Sungah replied. 

They picked up SoonYee during the drive. Now they were heading to Dongdaemun. Ryeowook couldn't help but have memories of long ago. He remembered Sungah taking him there to cheer him up, and cheer him up she did. She always knew what to do to help him feel happy again. 

As Ryeowook drove, Sungah got a text from SoonYee, who was sitting in the backseat.

"What are you going to do? Are you leaving or staying?" Out of all questions to ask, it had to be those, right?

"I don't know, SoonYee. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell Ryeowook."

"This a joke Sungah. Ryeowook should've been the first to find out, besides me. You should've told him right away." Sungah felt so conflicted. She didn't want to think about it. She figured the more Ryeowook didn't know, the longer she could make herself believe everything was okay.

"SoonYee, I know telling him is the right thing to do, but it still feels so wrong. I don't know if I can do it. Donghae told me if I don't do it, he's going to tell him himself. I don't know what to do."

"Ryeowook should hear this from you, and you alone. The more you put this aside, the more it's going to hurt him. I'm not going to say I'll do it for you, that's not my responsibility. I'm just going to hope you'll do the right thing."

Sungah frowned. Truthfully, she didn't know what "the right thing" was. Tell him the truth and break his heart? Or say nothing and keep him happy?

"Sungah, your phone is ringing." Ryeowook tapped Sungah's shoulder. "It's Victoria."

It was for video call. Why now?

"Hi, Victoria." Sungah put on a smile for her. "I'm keeping my promise. I'm on my way to buy you something right now."

"Speaking of which, you'll never believe what happened," Victoria said through the phone screen. "Jiyong found out about my birthday, and he actually bought me something."

Victoria lifted her wrist to show Sungah the new bracelet dangling from like shining stars.

"Whoa, that's beautiful. Didn't you just meet him?" Sungah gasped.

"Yes! I know right? Don't even get me started on working with him. It's hectic. He can be such a pain in the ."

"How so?"

"He does things to make me mad, a lot." Victoria ran her fingers through her bright, cherry-red hair. "But he's fun too. If you want my opinion, he's a good guy."

"You like him don't you," Sungah smirked, poking her phone screen. Victoria laughed, embarrassed.

"Yeah, a little bit." Victoria played with her hair. "He's so cute, I can't help it."

Sungah looked at her screen, seeing Victoria's door swing open.

"I'm ready! Style me up!" G Dragon burst into the dressing room behind Victoria with a big grin on his face.

"I have to go." Victoria smiled awkwardly at Sungah, through her laptop screen. "I'll talk to you later."

Victoria ended the call, allowing Sungah to tuck her phone back into her pocket.

__

As the three of them walked around the store, Ryeowook grew worried. He knew he was overthinking everything, filling himself with doubt, he knew he should relax, but he couldn't. With his hand in his pocket, he held the small object. The one he's been holding onto for years. What was the proper way to give to her? What was the proper way to ask? Would she accept it? Was there a reason not to? What if he messed up? No, he couldn't mess up. Not this. He felt funny. He had a feeling. Something big was coming. Good? Bad? Yeah, he was overthinking again.

"Ryeowookie? Are you okay?" Ryeowook heard Sungah next to him.

"What? Oh, I'm fine." Ryeowook tried to focus.

"Are you sure? You look a little nervous." Sungah put her hand on his cheek. "You feel a little warm too. Are you overthinking again?"

"A little bit?" Ryeowook smiled a little, blushing from embarrassment.

"That habit of yours will have you making the wrong decisions one day, you dummy." Sungah giggled.

"Sungah, I found something for Victoria," SoonYee called from another aisle. "Get your over here."

"Does it top what G Dragon gave her?" Sungah called back.

"Well...No. Just come over here." SoonYee replied.

"Okay, okay." Sungah pulled Ryeowook along. " You know, SoonYee, your birthday is soon too. Maybe Ryeowook and I should get you something while we're here."

"Then wait until I go to the car. I don't want to see it until my birthday." SoonYee said. "And make sure it's an exact replica of Victoria's bracelet because oh my god it was gorgeous!"

Sungah laughed. "Then you can forget it."

__

The drive home was good. They were happy. SoonYee, she was so great. Almost as great as Sungah. She was the little sister Ryeowook never had. He wanted to be able to call her his sister, be a part of Sungah's family. He wanted Sungah to be a part of his family. SoonYee included. He and Sungah could start a new family of their own. With SoonYee there as an aunt, a supporter, everything would be complete. Continue on with Kim Sungah.

"You're gonna be a good man." It won't be true until he made it happen. Make Sungah his, take her onto forever. Make Sungah his forever, and he knew exactly how to do it. She came back into his life for a reason. It was time.

SoonYee suggested they stay for a while in the apartment, despite Sungah's protests. When Sungah was in the same room as her mom, everyone felt the tension rise from low to making the roof explode. Sungah continued ignoring her, keeping her word that she never wanted to see her again. Sungah's mother left the house, not able to take the pain she felt when Sungah glared and looked away from her. How could an atmosphere change so quickly?

"Ryeowook, be a lovely person and put this stuff in my room." SoonYee handed Ryeowook two bags of things she bought. "I need a drink."

"Sure thing." Ryeowook replied, "I'll be right back."

Sungah followed SoonYee to the kitchen as Ryeowook made his way down the hallway.

"Do you want anything?" SoonYee asked.

"No, I'm okay," Sungah replied, sitting on one of the kitchen chairs.

"Mom has been getting the help you know," SoonYee said, getting water. "You should think about forgiving her."

"Not likely." Sungah felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, signaling a text message.

"Look, Sungah. It's drizzling." SoonYee pointed to the window. "I guess we're not getting any more snow this month. Maybe it was a one-time thing?"

Sungah's eyes widened when she read the text message. Jack.

"Have you made a decision yet, or are you still thinking?"

"What's wrong?" SoonYee asked, sitting next to Sungah.

"It's Jack. He wants to know if I'm going back with him. To America." Sungah felt a pain in her head, from confusion.

"You're not, right?" SoonYee asked. She got scared when Sungah said nothing. "You're not. Right?"

"SoonYee, what other choice do I have?" Sungah frowned. "Whether I like it or not, he's the dad, and he's right. I can't make Ryeowook give up everything for a kid that's not his. I know he might try to act like he's okay with it and doesn't care, but down the line? He'll resent me."

"Sungah, you don't have to end his career for it to work out, you don't. And, don't you think you should ask what he wants?" SoonYee asked, grabbing Sungah's hand.

"And what? If not, then I'll be alone, he'll never be there. Not as often as he would want to anyways. He'll be working, traveling the world."

"Sungah, this guy is putting the wrong thoughts in your head. Okay?" SoonYee insisted, wanting her words to sink into her head. "He's manipulating you. Don't you remember everything he's done to you?"

"I know, but it's my fault it happened. I was too stubborn, just because he wasn't letting me have my way. I should've listened. Nothing would've happened if I had just listened."

"Aren't you afraid of putting your baby at risk? Who's to say that explosion he had won't happen again?"

"I'm just trying to do what's best for everyone."

Ryeowook's loud footsteps and slamming the door shut drew Sungah and SoonYee's attention. One look at each other, and they knew he overheard. He stormed out of the apartment, taking a moment to comprehend what he had heard. He didn't mean to eavesdrop on them, and he knew it was a conversation he wasn't supposed to hear. He heard. He heard everything. Heartbreak hit him like a harsh storm. He felt an unfamiliar feeling in his gut for Sungah. It was anger. He was angry. He felt his teeth clench as the warm tears fell down his face. He felt his hands turn int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter