Chapter 3

Vampires, Slayers, & Forbidden Love

Daehyun was walking the oddly empty streets. He had no control over his feet. They were taking him, God knows where. His feet continued to move involuntarily until he came into an alley, and he couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Ae Sook? Is that you?" Daehyun was standing at the half mark of the alley, with his sister hunched over in front of him drawing on the sidewalk with chalk. 

Daehyun walked over to his sister, finally gaining control over his feet. "What are you drawing?" She didn't reply, but he kept walking towards her until he was standing by her side. Horror enveloped him as he laid eyes on what his sister had drawn. It was an image of that night he'd lost her. 

"Ae Sook, why did you draw this?" He looked down to meet his sister's eyes, only, they weren't his sister's beautiful brown eyes, but deep, black endless tunnels. Daehyun's own eyes filled with terror as, what looked like his sister, grew claws and grabbed his ankle, making him fall. 

She spoke with a heartbroken, desperate, and like she was sobbing, but there were no tears, kind of voice. "Why, Daehyunnie? Why did you let that monster take me away?" Daehyun was freaking out, and he was shaking his head vigorously while repeatedly saying, "I'm sorry."

"Because of you, I'm dead. Why didn't you stop that monster? You let me die. You're a bad person, Daehyunnie, and bad people deserve to die."

Daehyun struggled to get away, but her grip only tightened much more. Daehyun's eyes widened in utter terror when Ae Sook opened , revealing fangs. "Ae Sook..." She didn't reply, and she jumped up and bit into Daehyun's neck. As darkness indulged him, Daehyun could only think of two words. I'm sorry. 

Daehyun suddenly jumped up in his bed, sweating and panting like crazy. He rubbed his hands on his face as his tears found their way out, and rolled down his cheeks. It was another dream, more like nightmare, about his darling little sister. He hated having these nightmares. It took a few moments for him to collect himself and stop crying, then he grabbed his phone to see that it was six in the morning. With a groan, he got up from bed, and the restless boy walked to his dresser drawer taking out a plain, black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. 

After completing his morning routine, Daehyun took the suitcase out from under the bed. He opened the case, and glanced at the file before grabbing his trusty stake and holster. He securely wrapped the holster around his jeans where a belt was supposed to go, then squeezed his stake before putting in the holster. He put his jacket on to cover the weapon. He grabbed his bag and left the room. Before going downstairs, he peeked in Jongup's room to see him still sleeping. 

Daehyun was big about his appetite, so he went into the kitchen. Daehyun saw cereal, but expired milk. He let out a 'tsk' sound, and checked the cupboards to barely see any food. Daehyun let out a frustrated sigh before adjusting his bag on his shoulder and walked out the front door with an empty stomach. He stepped out into the cool morning air and walked in the direction of his new school, passing other houses in the neighborhood as he did so. 

The sun was still hiding behind the horizon, but Daehyun was able to see in the dim light. It was a peaceful morning. His walk to school was filled with his thoughts of Youngjae being a vampire, and Jongup being his drudge. His thoughts were mostly on Youngjae, and how things would've been if Daehyun wasn't a Slayer, or Youngjae, a vampire. He and Youngjae would've became friends...maybe more than that because Daehyun was certain he fell for him. Just a little bit. 

Daehyun kept walking until he came upon a familiar playground, with trees and fresh grass surrounding it. He almost instantly remembered that he and Jongup would play there as kids. Daehyun walked towards the slide and smiled as he recalled him and his cousin's many memories. Then he remembered that they both liked the swing, and liked to push each other. The swing. 

Daehyun, still smiling, turned his gaze to the swing set, and saw a familiar mop of brown hair. His smile dropped, and he tensed. Youngjae. He was sitting on one of the swings. Daehyun's hand instinctively moved to his stake in it's holster, but what he didn't see, or hear, was Youngjae's tears falling and he was sobbing quietly. 

Youngjae was sitting on the swing as he missed and mourned for his parents. He just came back from sitting in the cemetery the whole night. He wasn't aware of the vampire lurking in the trees or the Slayer creeping up on him. Youngjae had his head buried in his hands as he let out quiet sobs. "Mom...Dad..."

Daehyun moved closer and stopped. "Mom...Dad..."  He heard the vampire's quiet sobs, and couldn't help but feel sorrowful. He watched with sorrowful eyes and lowered his hand that held his stake, back to his side, before walking slowly to Youngjae. For some odd reason, Daehyun felt like he needed to hold Youngjae. Comfort him. Make him smile. It somehow pained him to see Youngjae crying. He didn't know why. 

Just as he was a few feet from the swing set, Daehyun's eyes caught sight of the figure lurking in the trees. Youngjae was still crying when he stood up, and Daehyun stopped walking to see the figure intending to attack Youngjae. He kept his eyes on the figure as it leaped pretty far from within trees it was hiding. Daehyun's protective instincts took over him. 

Daehyun ran towards Youngjae, just as the vampire was about to tackle him. "Youngjae!" Daehyun pushed him out of the way, and he instead got tackled. Pain spread throughout his whole body as he was being held down by incredible strength and he could barely move. 

Youngjae was lying on the ground where he landed from Daehyun pushing him, eyes wide. Witnessing the scene before him. He didn't know that a vampire was going to attack him, let alone, Daehyun being there to push him out of the way. He looked at the vampire on top of Daehyun to see the same vampire from that night in Central Park. 

Youngjae looked at the same blood red eyes glaring at Daehyun. The same fangs bared, looking like they would sink into Daehyun's neck if he didn't do anything. The vampire had unarmed him, and Daehyun struggled to get away, failing miserably. The pain only increased more when he fought to free himself of the crippling hold. He cried out in pain and squeezed his eyes shut. 

Then he heard the vampire's merciless voice who spoke so quietly, that Youngjae couldn't hear what was being said to the one who could hear him, and that was Daehyun. "Well, well, well. I've never seen such a prize." The vampire on top of Daehyun scoffed in amusement. "A Slayer protecting a vampire. How ironic."

The vampire's amused face turned into a serious one as he stared deeply into Daehyun's brown one's. Daehyun felt like his mind and thoughts were being trespassed, and they were. The vampire read every single thought that Daehyun had, before discovering one that could get both Daehyun and Youngjae in deep, deep, deep . 

The vampire's amused look returned to his kid like features and looked over at Youngjae, but not without increasing his hold's pain more, making Daehyun cry out louder. "Oh my. It seems that you, my friend, have a crush." He looked back at Daehyun's face that was contorted in pain, but his eyes were on Youngjae who was looking back at him. "For the sake of Yongguk not killing you two, I'll just deal with the problem right now."

Daehyun likes me?! Daehyun wouldn't, couldn't like a monster like me, but I think I've fallen for him. Wait, he won't be safe around me. It scared Youngjae because he was a vampire, and Daehyun was a human. Youngjae was so deep in his thoughts that he didn't see the vampire bare his fangs and reveal Daehyun's neck. 

The moment Youngjae heard Daehyun whimper, all of his thoughts disappeared and he all of a sudden had the need to protect Daehyun. Save him from the monster that was about to take his life, like he was supposed to or something. For a reason he didn't know, he felt like a part of him would die if he lost Daehyun. That he couldn't lose Daehyun. 

Just as the vampire sunk his fangs in Daehyun's neck, Youngjae got angry, and he ran with his incredible speed. He pushed the vampire off of Daehyun with such strength he didn't know he had, sending the vampire to hit a tree trunk pretty hard. Youngjae looked back at Daehyun who had a little trail of blood from where the vampire had bit him, and was unconscious. 

Youngjae heard the vampire get back up and turned around to see him charging at them. Fangs bared, growling, and looking angrier than ever. He gasped and turned around, protectively covering Daehyun and waited for the impact that never came. All he heard was the sound of a punch being thrown, a sizzling sound, and a scream in agony. Puzzled, Youngjae turned around to see the vampire running away, smoke trailing him. There was a guy standing above Youngjae and he had to squint to see him better because of the sun that had just risen. 

Youngjae looked to see a beautiful man with black hair, pale skin, small lips, and a face that looked familiar to Youngjae. He also noticed a tattoo on his wrist that read, '|/\|-|'

"Who are you?"

"You'll find out soon enough." The man walked away and Youngjae furrowed his brows. He turned back to Daehyun who groaned and started to come back to his senses. Daehyun fully opened his eyes to meet Youngjae's worried one's, and he only looked at him with affectionate eyes. Then, at the same time, images flashed through their minds like a movie that was starring just the two of them. 

In each image they saw, were images that displayed them either holding each other, holding hands, or kissing. At one point, Youngjae's shoulder started to hurt with an unbearable pain, as an image of Daehyun crying and Youngjae falling, appeared. Then, an image of vampires and Slayers everywhere in Central Park and the rest of New York appeared. Youngjae saw Daehyun and Daehyun saw Youngjae. Suddenly, everything went black when Daehyun ran towards Youngjae with full speed, with a look of fear gracing his handsome features. Youngjae was pushed aside then everything went black. 

Daehyun looked at Youngjae to see his eyes flashing a bright, iridescent purple. "Your eyes." He whispered. Youngjae looked at him weird. "W-what about my eyes?" Before Daehyun could tell him that Youngjae's eyes were flashing bright purple, they stopped, and turned back to his original color. Dark brown. 

"They're...beautiful."

There was a distinct silence before Daehyun spoke again. "Are you aware of what we just saw?" Youngjae nodded slowly. He was well aware, and he didn't want to except the fact that they might've just saw their future together. He shook his head before getting up quickly and grabbed his bag by the swing, but not without noticing the stake a few yards away that ran chills up his spine. 

That was one of the reasons why he was scared to have a future with Daehyun. He was a Slayer. A goddamn Slayer. Just the thought of that word gave Youngjae shivers. Youngjae quickly walked away without looking back at Daehyun who slowly stood up, wiped the blood away from his neck, collected his things and followed Youngjae towards the direction of their school.  A Slayer. . 

~~~~~

Junhong ran in the alleys. Half of his face burning from the sunlight. He ran until he came to his deserted apartment and barged in, slamming the door shut again. He went to every window and closed the curtains until there was no sunlight peeking through. 

Junhong ran into his bathroom and the light, hissing at the brightness, and looked at the right side of his face that was already starting to heal from being burned by the sun's rays. He smirked as he recalled the vampire that made his face the way it is. 

"That son of a finally comes back and decides to greet me like this." He looked at his reflection to see his burn mark had healed to a scar. "Kim Himchan, I'll have your head and your precious Youngjae's too."

~~~~~

Youngjae walked into his mythology class to see the smart students there first and...hey, it's that same guy from the playground. Where's Mr. Kang? Why isn't he here?  As if hearing his thoughts, the man looked up and narrowed his eyes as he looked Youngjae up and down before nodding towards the desks. "Take your seat."

Youngjae walked cautiously to his seat because the man kept staring at him suspiciously. As the other students filed in, the bell rang and one particular kid ran in. Daehyun. Youngjae's eyes widened in surprise. The man saw Youngjae's look and he instantly recognized the late boy to be the one whom Youngjae saved on the playground. 

"I'm so sorry for being late. Being new and all, I kinda got a little lost." The man smiled as he gestured to the desks. "Take a seat." The only seat left, was an empty desk next to Youngjae. Daehyun strode over to the desk, the girls were literally squealing and checking out Daehyun and Youngjae didn't know why, but he felt a little jealous. He is good looking. Especially with that black hair. Wait, why did I just think that?  He shook his head. 

Daehyun took his seat and smiled awkwardly at Youngjae. The man stood up and yelled to the students to quiet down. "Hello class. On behalf of Mr. Kang's not being here, I'm filling in as the new mythology teacher. My name is Kim Himchan. You can call me Mr. Kim or just Himchan."

As the students started murmuring, Himchan turned his gaze to Youngjae and gave a look that sent chills up Youngjae's spine. Then a student raised his hand, and Himchan averted his gaze to the student. 

"Yes?"

"Where's Mr. Kang?"

"Do you really want to know?" All the students nodded in unison. Himchan sighed and he had a mournful look on his face. 

"He...was found dead in his house early this morning. The blood drained from him completely." All the students gasped, even Youngjae and Daehyun. Mr. Kang was probably his favorite teacher. How could such an innocent man die? Himchan put his hands up reassuringly. 

"Now, now. You all don't need to get worked up. I was told to continue teaching where he left off. You can mourn later." The students settled down and gave Himchan their undivided attention, who was still looking at Youngjae. Youngjae started to get uncomfortable. 

"Well now that you've learned some things about vampires, I'll have to teach the second part that's written on this paper." Himchan put the paper down and talked without even looking at it. Not even glancing at it. It seemed he knew a lot about vampires, as if he were a vampire himself. 

"Another thing, vampires truly hate garlic." He kept glancing at Youngjae during his lecture, but he wasn't the only one. Daehyun kept glancing at Youngjae as well. Himchan picked up a plastic bag, and the scent of it's contents, made Youngjae feel sick to the core and he felt a little lightheaded. Himchan put gloves on before taking out a garlic piece, and Youngjae nearly gagged at the strong scent. 

"Vampires can't stand the smell or even lay eyes on garlic. Now I need a volunteer to help me hold these while I explain more on the topic." When nobody raised their hand, he looked over at Youngjae. "How about our friend, Yoo Youngjae?" Youngjae's eyes slightly widened and he shook his head. 

"I'm, uh, allergic to garlic." He cursed himself for giving such a weak excuse. 

"That's why I have gloves. Now come on up here."

Youngjae reluctantly and hesitantly stood up then Daehyun, all of a sudden, stood up and stepped in front of Youngjae. "I'll go up instead. Youngjae, you can sit down." Himchan felt a strong connection between the two boys and raised an eyebrow at how protective Daehyun had gotten over Youngjae, rather quickly. He was practically in attack position standing in front of Youngjae. "I've already chosen Youngjae. No need for you to do that."

Youngjae glanced at Daehyun who was still standing in front of him like he was waiting for Youngjae to give an 'okay' for him to stand down. "It's okay, Daehyun. I'll go." Daehyun stepped aside and Youngjae brushed pass him. He got to the front and Himchan had his eyes on Daehyun who looked like he could just explode right there from anger or something. It was like Daehyun had grown a strong fondness over Youngjae. Youngjae grabbed the gloves, put them on, Himchan handed him two pieces of garlic and he gagged from the even stronger scent. Daehyun nearly jumped up in his seat, but stopped himself when Himchan sent him a glare. 

The girls giggled when Youngjae gagged and Himchan sternly said, "Quiet down." The students quieted down and Himchan continued his lecture. All Youngjae wanted was for these garlic pieces to be billions of miles away from him. He started to wonder when this class would be over. He prayed and prayed that the bell would ring before he fainted. Answering his prayers, the bell rang and he threw the garlic back in the bag, took his gloves off, and collected his things before running out of the classroom. Himchan noticed Daehyun to be his regular normal self once the bell rang and stopped glaring at Himchan. Hmm..

~~~~~

Youngjae was walking to the boys' restroom as fast as he could because he was sure he was going to hurl. Just as he rounded the corner, he ran into Daehyun. Youngjae looked up to meet those brown orbs and quickly shuffled passed him, ignoring Daehyun's voice calling his name. Then he felt a hand on his arm, pulling him back, and he turned around before harshly yanking his arm away. He spoke with a surprisingly stern voice. 

"Just leave me alone. You're not safe around me."

Daehyun walked towards Youngjae and put his hands up in a pleading way. "No, Youngjae. Just listen to me." Youngjae kept shaking his head. 

"No. Just stay away."

Daehyun touched his arm and Youngjae instinctively and barely pushed him away, but it sent Daehyun flying into the lockers. Daehyun grunted in pain as his back collided with the lockers, hitting one of the combination locks so hard, it felt like he took a bullet to the back. "Daehyun!" Youngjae looked at his hands, freaking out. What did I just do? How did I push him that far? I barely pushed him! 

Daehyun groaned in pain as he sat up and met eyes with Youngjae, who looked so freaked out and worried and kept repeating the same words. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Youngjae kept his hands up and took off running, leaving a bewildered Daehyun behind. 

Daehyun sat there, he just witnessed Youngjae's eyes flashing the same iridescent purple, like this morning, when he touched his arm and Youngjae, barely, pushed him away, but Daehyun found himself colliding with the lockers really hard. He stood up, and clenched his teeth from the pain, and was about to run after Youngjae when a hand was placed firmly on his chest, preventing him from doing so. 

He turned to see Himchan staring in the direction Youngjae ran off to. "Mr. Kim! I'm sorry for causing ruckus. It's just that..." The said man put a hand up, silencing Daehyun. Daehyun winced in pain from his back, and Himchan looked at him before patting his back gently. 

Then he walked in the direction Youngjae ran, but not without saying, "Go to class." Daehyun only turned around for a split second, then turned back around to see nothing. He furrowed his eyebrows before doing what he was told and headed to his second class. As he got to class, he noticed that his back didn't hurt anymore. Not even a bit, but his back did feel stronger than it was before. 

Daehyun instantly remembered that Himchan patted his back gently and the pain immediately stopped after that. Himchan also seemed to know Youngjae. Lastly, Daehyun only turned around for a split second. No one can move that fast except for...wait a minute.

~~~~~

Youngjae was walking really fast around the back of the school and he slowed down when he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He stopped walking and turned around to see a face he hasn't seen in ten years, standing in the middle of the little trail. Since that day of the fire, but just like that, it was gone. He shook his head. He must be going crazy. 

Himchan, as fast as he was, caught up to Youngjae and was now trailing behind him. He couldn't believe it. It was actually Youngjae.

"Youngjae."

"Go away Dae-.."

Youngjae turned around to meet Himchan's eyes and he immediately started to apologize. He couldn't get detention, Ailee would kill him. "I'm sorry, Mr. Kim. I'll go back to class now." Youngjae was surprised to get an embrace from Himchan as a reply. 

"After all these years. I finally found you."

Youngjae pushed Himchan off of him with wide eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"Youngjae, I know your father. We were close. I knew he had a son, I just couldn't find you since the day of the fire. Fortunately, I overheard Yongguk's and Junhong's conversation about you in the Council Room. I kinda bugged the place. Anyway, I heard you were in New York and I came as soon as possible."

"W-who are you?"

Himchan looked at Youngjae sincerely and sighed. 

"Youngjae, I'm...I'm your uncle."