Chapter 10

Vampires, Slayers, & Forbidden Love

The cold wind nipped at Youngjae's face and it made him shiver a bit as he stood with Daehyun, Taehyung, Kyungsoo, Jongup, his dad, Himchan, and Donggeun in a snowy clearing in Central Park. They've been standing there for a long time, and Youngjae started to doubt if they would even show. Daehyun mindlessly twisted his stake between his fingers, waiting. Today was the day. The day that they would dupe Slayers and vampires alike. 

They'd been waiting for hours now and the sun had begun its decent. But there was still no sign of either the Society or Elysia. 

He and Daehyun hadn't spoken much since arriving in the clearing. Maybe because there was nothing to say. Or maybe they were both feeling equally nervous as hell. 

Just as Daehyun had turned to Youngjae and started to say something to break the silence, there was a rustle in the bushes to the right and out stepped a man. He was dressed in earth tones, slacks with boots, a button-down shirt, and a flowing, almost capelike trench coat. A brown leather baldric holding six small blades crossed his chest. At his hip was a leather holster, holding a wooden stake. His cheek was scarred, a four inch wide crescent shape. He cocked a displeased eyebrow at Daehyun. "You're supposed to kill it. Not speak with it."

Daehyun stumbled over his words, hurrying to retrieve his own stake from the ground where he dropped it, and returned it to its place on his hip. "Uncle Howan. . . You're. . . here. . ."

Howan pursed his lips. "On your feet, Slayer. Dispatch this vampire. Rid the world of this evil. Do as you have been instructed to do." By the tone of his voice, Youngjae got the feeling that Daehyun's uncle didn't like weakness, and when Howan looked at Daehyun, it was all he could see. 

Daehyun looked from his uncle and back to Youngjae again. "I was about to." 

Here it was. Time to enact their get-out-of-jail-free plan he and Daehyun came up with the previous night. All they needed was a vampire to witness Youngjae's miraculous execution. 

"Howan. It's been long." Youngjae's dad wore a smile as he took a step forward. Youngjae raised an eyebrow at the familiarity in his tone. They had his dad, Himchan, and Donggeun. Their vampires to witness. Now it was Daehyun's turn. Youngjae eyed Daehyun's stake, ready as he'd ever be. 

"What a peculiar reunion." Himchan spoke up as he sent a small wink Youngjae's way. "Oh, and nice scar by the way, Howan."

Howan touched the scar on his face and glared at Himchan. "Kim Himchan." He sneered. Donggeun remained quiet as he listened to the conversation, amused. Howan drew his stake from his hip, and Himchan chuckled.

"Sure you wanna do that? It's three vampires against one Slayer."

It was Howan's turn to chuckle. "You really think I'd be here by myself?" Just then, a stake whipped past Youngjae's dad's head as he ducked fast enough, just missing it as it went six inches deep in a tree behind him. Youngjae turned his head to see a Slayer in the midst of trees holding a crossbow, many more following behind him. They all stepped into the clearing. 

Youngjae looked to Daehyun who nodded and Youngjae took off into a sprint, going a tad bit slower so Daehyun could catch up. They wrestled for dominance and Daehyun looked at Youngjae who nodded. After Youngjae had nodded, Daehyun pretended to stake him, and threw him over an edge near them. Youngjae hovered, thinking how their plan had just worked, but he felt strong fingers intertwine in his hair as he was harshly pulled back up to come face to face with an angry looking Bang Yongguk. 

"Not a very bright boy. Trying to fake your death won't help you at all."

Yongguk threw Youngjae to the ground and looked at his dad who stood only a few feet away. "I have a trial to carry out, and I intend to do just that." In the blink of an eye, Yongguk had Youngjae's dad in a hold as he pulled a very familiar dagger from his pocket. Youngjae made a move to help his dad, but two of Yongguk's henchmen had held him tightly as well as Daehyun, Taehyung, Kyungsoo, Himchan, and Donggeun. 

Yongguk held the dagger to Youngjae's dad's neck, threatening to slit it. "Say goodbye to your daddy, Youngjae." Youngjae thrashed to get loose as Yongguk started to drag the dagger slowly across his dad's neck, leaving a trail of red behind. Youngjae's dad clenched his teeth in pain. Suddenly, Yongguk let out a cry of pain as a silver tip pierced through the front of his chest. 

Yongguk dropped the dagger, Youngjae's dad was let loose and he moved away, taking the dagger with him. Yongguk reached behind him and painfully pulled out the stake that had hit his heart spot on. After pulling the stake out, Yongguk dropped to his knees, blood gushing out from the hole in his chest. 

Youngjae looked behind him to see the same Slayer with the crossbow, and for once, he'd never been happier to see a Slayer. Okay, he kind of was happy. But that happiness only lasted for so long as the other vampires from Elysia had snarled at their long life enemies, ready to attack. Once Yongguk fell entirely to the ground, and took his last breath, that's when it all started. Vampires and Slayers collided. 

Youngjae couldn't believe the sight he was seeing. It felt all too familiar. There were vampires and Slayers everywhere. Humans had started to run, and some were fighting off the blood beasts. Youngjae was too into looking around that he didn't realize that his dad, Donggeun, Himchan, Taehyung, Kyungsoo, and Daehyun had all left to fight. And so he decided to help as well. 

Youngjae ran to assist a young vampire in fighting off two other Slayers. He helped Taehyung fight off three vampires, then went to help Kyungsoo with four vampires. Youngjae fought and fought, killing countless Slayers and vampires. He ran to the baseball stadium looking at the familiar faces of Himchan, Taehyung, Kyungsoo, and Jongup. All fighting. 

Then he spotted Daehyun not too far away, effortlessly sending a round house kick to a vampire's face, knocking it off of its feet to where he staked him. Youngjae couldn't help but think that he looked absolutely hot while fighting. He didn't even once worry how Daehyun would hold up in the fight. Daehyun was strong and could take care of himself. Youngjae started to walk over to Daehyun when they met eyes. He smiled and so did Daehyun, but suddenly, Daehyun's smile turned into a look of fear. 

Daehyun suddenly broke into a fast run towards Youngjae who had started to walk up some stairs in the bleachers. Daehyun started reaching for Youngjae and he jumped towards him. Youngjae caught Daehyun only to be pushed to the side. Daehyun began to fall, and Youngjae caught him as they stumbled down the stairs. Youngjae thought it was almost comical until he saw the blood. Daehyun's blood as it flowed from his chest where a stake was. 

Youngjae's hand shook at the end of the stake, worry in his eyes as he pulled the stake from Daehyun's chest, emitting a cry of pain from his boyfriend. His hands shook while he covered the wound. Daehyun had been staked. Daehyun had been horribly injured. The Slayer must have mistaken his good fighting for the traits of a vampire. 

The Slayer eyed Youngjae for a second, and then lifted his wooden weapon in the air. Inside Youngjae's veins, he felt a surge of immense power. He locked eyes with his would-be killer and uttered a single command, not knowing if it would work. "Drop it "

Surprisingly, the stake hit the steps and clattered down several more steps until it was yards away. The Slayer's lips shook in fear. "Your eyes. . ." 

Youngjae gripped Daehyun, too pale now, to his chest and screamed at the Slayer with every bit of his anger and hatred and overwhelming fustration. "DIE!" The Slayer's eyes bugged and his jaw went slack. Youngjae's heart beat twice before the man fell to the ground dead. 

A deep critical horror enveloped Youngjae as he stared at the man's corpse. He'd just killed a Slayer with one word. He took one breath, released slowly. Then another. This power. It was too much to wield. Too much for anyone to even taste.

Struggling with his emotions, which were filled with all kinds of self loathing, even though he only said it because of what the man had done to Daehyun, he turned back to the matter at hand. 

Blood bloomed from Daehyun's wound. Youngjae had never seen so much red before. He opened his mouth to scream, to shout for someone, anyone, to save him, to help him. But no one could hear him over the sounds of war. 

Daehyun's pulse grew weak. His eyes began to flutter closed, but before they did, Daehyun parted his bloodstained lips and whispered, "I save you. I had. . . a dream You were killed. . . in my dream. But then I saw the Slayer. . . and I stopped him. I saved you." 

Youngjae's world swirled around him, but he forced his vision to reremain at bay. He didn't want to know what the future would bring. Not now. Not when he was on the verge of losing Daehyun. Tears poured from his eyes. He was losing Daehyun. He was losing the only person who had ever really understood him, had ever really loved him, and there was nothing he could do about it. 

Youngjae bent down and brushed his lips against Daehyun's forehead. His tears dripped onto his cheeks, and he whispered repeatedly, "What can I do, Daehyun? I'll do anything. Anything. What can I do to save you?"

"There's only one thing you can do, Youngjae." Himchan's eyes were dark, dark and sad and troubled in the worst way, unlike Youngjae had ever seen them. His shirt was marred with blood and dirt, the filth of battle. He must have been fighting somewhere nearby and saw what had happened to Daehyun. Youngjae hadn't seen him approach, but he was glad his uncle was here now. "You can let him die, or. . . you can turn him."

"Turn him?" Youngjae couldn't believe what he was hearing. Himchan couldn't possibly be suggesting that he-

"Turn him into one of us, welcome him into Elysia, make him a vampire. . . or say your goodbyes." Himchan's voice was soft, but stern. The choice, he'd made clear, was up to Youngjae. 

"But don't I need his permission to turn him?"

"I think we're beyond following Elysia's laws tonight, Youngjae."

Youngjae looked down at Daehyun in his arms. His eyes were closed and his skin was paler then he'd ever seen. Even his lips were paled to a lighter shade as blood poured from his wound. He'd lost consciousness, which was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because Youngjae hoped that it lessened his pain some. A curse because it robbed him of the chance to ask Daehyun if he'd rather die than be like Youngjae. 

Daehyun would die. Or live out his life as a blood thirsty creature of the night. It was up to Youngjae to choose his fate. Entirely up to him. 

"There's something you should know before you decide." Himchan dropped his eyes to Daehyun then for a moment, his voice hushing some, as if out of respect for the dead. "He may not survive the transformation. It's possible that he will, but I have never heard of a Slayer turning successfully. Not once. Their blood rejects the transformation for some reason. You may lose him anyway, Youngjae."

Youngjae ignored the blood that was soaking through his clothes. He ignored the sounds of war all around him. He ignored even his uncle's caring presence and looked at Daehyun, really looked at him for the first time. Gently, he ran his thumb down Daehyun's cheek. Bending down, he kissed Daehyun's quiet lips, swallowing his tears. He had to be strong. For Daehyun. "I have to try, Himchan."

Himchan gauged his sincerity for a moment, then, as if satisfied by what he saw in Youngjae's eyes, he spoke. "Drain him, but not completely. You want his heartbeat as slow as possible, but still beating. It takes great amount of control, but you're capable. 

A flash of doubt crossed Himchan's eyes that Youngjae tried to ignore but couldn't. 

"Once he's drained, you must move quickly. Bite your wrist, give him your blood. He'll cough and choke and fight, but that's a natural reaction. Be ready for it." Himchan squeezed his shoulder and as he ran off to assist a young vampire fight off three Slayers, he shouted something else to Youngjae, but he couldn't hear Himchan over the noise of the crowd. 

Youngjae lifted Daehyun, cradling him in his arms. He was going to save him, save him at any cost. It was the right thing to do. . . wasn't it?

His fangs slipped from his gums and he bit down on Daehyun's neck, his blood splashing against Youngjae's tongue. Trying to block out the incredible taste of Daehyun's blood, he swallowed and swallowed again, drinking far more from Daehyun than he ever had, which was never. Daehyun lay helpless in his arms, and Youngjae wrapped his arms around him, holding him closer and tighter. 

Youngjae loved Daehyun. And he wanted nothing more in this world than for him to survive, for them to be together, for everything to be all right. 

As Himchan said, his heartbeat slowed substantially. Youngjae fought the monster within him and won, withdrawing his fangs from Daehyun's porcelain neck. He bit into his right wrist and held it to Daehyun's mouth, watching as his blood slipped from his wrist to Daehyun's tongue, until his wound healed closed again. Then he waited and watched. 

At first, nothing happened. Then Daehyun lurched forward, coughing, his body wracked with violent spasms. The moment he'd shown any sign of life, Youngjae's mark glowed brightly, brighter than ever before, nearly blinding his own eyes. Daehyun choked and sputtered and shook. After a long time, time that was drawn out by Youngjae's utter terror of losing him, Daehyun went still. 

Too still. 

Daehyun's eyes were opened, but there was no life in them. 

Youngjae screamed. "NO!! Daehyun! Not you! Not you!" 

He pulled Daehyun close and sobbed into his soft black hair. His body was limp. His heart wasn't beating. Everything about him that made him Daehyun was gone. 

He was dead. 

Dead, before Youngjae could tell him endlessly that he was his perfect match in every way, that he was everything Youngjae ever wanted in a lover. 

Dead, before he could experience a life full of laughter and smiles instead of one overwhelmed by pain. 

Youngjae wished he could've done more to prevent the known fact that Daehyun wouldn't have a future, but he couldn't. He hated his destiny, his fate. His fate and destiny that he would lose Daehyun. That Daehyun would be dead. 

Dead. 

Dead and gone. 

And he wasn't ever coming back.