Chapter 1

Vampires, Slayers, & Forbidden Love

 The world of Elysia. Ruled by none other than the most feared and oldest vampire, let's not forget remorseless and merciless, Bang Yongguk. The world of Elysia is clearly none like other. It is other worldly. The Council members were the very vampires in charge of every vampire around the world who have their own special powers. 

They had only two enemies. One, first and foremost, Slayers. Meaning, The Slayer Society. Two, exposure to humans. No matter what, all vampires must keep Elysia and their vampiric sides a mystery that humans can not solve. If a vampire were to come across a human who knows about them, they would have to kill them on the spot. No hesitation. To be exposed was to put every life of vampires at risk, and they couldn't have that. 

 The biggest rule that had been broken many times, was that no vampire, under all circumstances, should never, never, ever fall in love with a human. This type of violation would be dealt with by a trial that could lead to death or exile. How this rule was broken? Well, most vampires, male and female, would become attached to their drudges, or human slave that the vampire made theirs by biting them. 

A drudge to a vampire was important. This person protected, defended, and stood by their master every step of their way until the vampire decides to release them. Often times, the vampire would become attached to their drudges and develop a relationship. Other times this rule was broken, was simply just a vampire in love. 

The Council was in the middle of a crisis. One of their former Council members had been killed in a devastating house fire in the city of New York. He and His human wife were found dead. Nothing left of them, but a pile of ashes around their charred skeletal forms. Not that they cared because the guy deserved it for leaving the Council to marry his human lover. 

The real crisis was that their eight year old son, Yoo Youngjae is said to be the Pravus. The center of the prophecy who is said to be the most powerful vampire and will enslave the human race and rise as the new leader. There is a ritual that can take away these powers that the Pravus is said to have, and Elysia plans on doing just that. So they could use it for their own. 

"Choi Junhong, you will report to New York and perform the ritual when his powers are fully developed. Elysia is counting on you. I'm counting on you."

Yongguk's intimidating, deep voice boomed in the room as he spoke to his best asset and fellow Council member. The youngest Council member actually. Not only was this his best asset or fellow Council member, but his lover. 

"Don't worry. I won't fail you sir." 

Yongguk smiled in approval and leaned back in his chair. 

"Good. Now I want you to report to the city of New York as soon as possible."

"Yes, sir."

Junhong bowed and left the room. He later arrived in New York to begin his mission.

~~~~~

[10 Years Later]

"Youngjae! Come on, you don't want to be late on your first day as a senior!" Ailee yelled from downstairs. 

Youngjae was in his room, ready for school, laying on his bed deep in his thoughts that he lost track of the time. He's been up since three a.m. With being the half vampire that he was, he barely had enough sleep. His half human side occasionally allowed him to. He was thankful for that.

It's now been ten years since the incident that caused him to lose both of his parents. His vampire dad and human mother. Youngjae was at school during the time of the fire and he remembered when Ailee came and picked him up in the middle of class. She drove them to his house, or what was left of it anyway. Since then, Ailee has been like a mother to him. 

Youngjae was now eighteen years old.  He sighed deeply before sitting up and walked sluggishly to his dresser where his school bag was. He slung his bag onto his shoulder before looking at his reflection and walked out of his room. He came right back to retrieve his sunscreen. No vampire should be out in the sun without sunscreen.  Then he purposely stomped annoyingly down the stairs and earned a glare from Ailee. 

"About time." She said, irritation lacing her words. "Jongup is waiting for you. Are you hungry?" 

 Youngjae politely smiled at his guardian and shook his head. "No. I'm okay."

Ailee nodded before returning a bright smile. "Okay, well then you should get going. Oh, and your lunch is on the counter in the kitchen."

Youngjae went into the kitchen to get his paper bag lunch and looked at the time on the microwave. He was running late. He snatched up his lunch and ran out the kitchen. 

"Thanks Ailee!" He yelled before stepping out onto the porch to apply his sunscreen. Then he ran towards the direction where an irritated Jongup was waiting. Youngjae arrived and was welcomed with a death glare from Jongup. 

"Jeez! Can't you be any late? You're lucky I'm your drudge or else I would've left a long time ago."

Youngjae chuckled before he slung an arm around his drudge's shoulders and started walking before he spoke. 

"Calm down. You're yelling like a lady on her period. Now we can't be anymore late. So we better start walking."

"So sassy."

The two friends, since pre school, walked towards their school. As they were in front of the school building, Jongup's eyes were roaming the school campus 

"Nothing's changed...wha- is that Song Jieun?!" 

Youngjae looked into the direction his drudge was looking to see pink. A pink hairpin, pink shirt that made her curves visible, pink skirt, and heck, even pink converse. He heard Jongup speak again. 

"She's changed a lot! Last time I saw her, she was looking like a geek. And now...damn!" 

Jongup's mouth hung open as he stared in awe at the overly-dressed-in-pink girl. Amused, Youngjae kept walking and Jongup followed suit. As they passed by Jieun, Jongup gave her a wink who in return smiled shyly and blushed a color the same as her wardrobe. 

Jongup was one to be known for his good looks, athleticism, and having a smooth vocabulary with girls he flirts with. In other words, he's a ladies man. Youngjae rolled his eyes as he walked up the steps and entered the high school he stepped in countless times over the past four years he's attended this high school. The principal was walking the halls and greeted every student he saw and when he stopped in front of Youngjae, all excitement for the new year, faltered. With a stern face and stern voice, the principal spoke. 

"Mr. Yoo, I expect you to have matured this year. No more causing trouble. And you," He turned to Jongup who had a look of annoyance on his face, but managed to smile. 

"I expect you and the basketball team to bring back that championship trophy by defeating our school rivals."

"No problem."

The principal nodded once before going back to greeting students. Then Jongup spoke. 

"I don't like way he treats you. I mean, you don't do anything wrong!"

Youngjae too was annoyed with their principal. He didn't want to seperate from Jongup, but their lockers were located away from each other and their classes weren't the same. Except for lunch. They had that together. Youngjae's first class was mythology. Out of all classes, this one was his favourite. After a few times of struggling to get his locker open, he put his stuff in and grabbed the things he needed for the morning classes before walking in the direction of his first class. 

As soon as he stepped in the classroom, the bell rang signaling the beginning of the first day of school. He smiled apologetically at the teacher and the teacher returned a smile as well. "Have a seat." The teacher gestured towards the already full desks, but Youngjae spotted an empty desk at the far corner of the room in the back and chose to take his seat there. 

"Welcome, seniors. To the first day of your final year as a high schooler. I'm Mr. Kang. Aside from the French teacher, I'm the only foreign teacher at this school. You will be learning mythology, of course, in my class. I don't give out a lot of homework. My work is usually class work and yes, it counts as a grade. Now, any questions?"

The students shook their heads in unison and Mr. Kang clapped his hands together. 

"For our first semester, our main focus will be on werewolves and vampires." 

Youngjae cringed at the sound of what he was, being announced. He didn't listen to Mr. Kang or his other teachers and awaited the bell that would free him to lunch. 

Once he heard the bell, Youngjae dashed out of his algebra class, but careful not to show his incredible vampire speed, and grabbed his lunch before heading to the cafeteria. He met up with Jongup and they sat at their usual place in the cafeteria. Which is in the back. Youngjae was more anti social while Jongup had no problem socializing. 

"Man, my classes are boring, but I like where my locker is at." Jongup spoke as they sat down. 

"Where is your locker anyway?"

"It's by the cheerleader's locker room." Jongup smiled mischievously and Youngjae could already guess what he was planning. 

"Don't you even think about it."

"Oh come on!"

"No."

"It'll be fun." Jongup pouted. 

"No. The last time I did that with you, I got caught."

"Be that way then."

"Just eat your food." Youngjae said as he shoved a fork in Jongup's hand before taking his own lunch out. A sandwich, a water bottle, and a cupcake.

"Ailee sure is the best."  Youngjae mumbled as he took out the sandwich and took a huge bite to feel the warm blood that poured onto his tongue. Youngjae could eat human food, but just as long as there was blood in it, and Ailee did just that. Aside from the food, Youngjae would feed off of the blood bags Ailee would bring home from the hospital where she works as a nurse. Or sometimes, he'd feed off of Jongup because the food and blood bags wouldn't fully satisfy his hunger. 

Youngjae twisted the lid off of the water bottle to see blood filled to the brim. He took a big gulp before eating the rest of sandwich and bit into the cupcake that had a warm, gooey center of AB negative. 

~~~~~

The rest of Youngjae's day went by in a blur and he soon found himself walking out of the school building by himself. Jongup took Jieun on a date because, apparently, they shared most classes together and Jongup's charms worked on her. Not that Youngjae blamed her, no one can resist Jongup's ravishing, good looks. 

Youngjae decided to go to Central Park, so he pulled out his phone and called Ailee. After a few rings, she answered. 

"Hello?"

"Ailee, I'm going to Central Park and I probably won't be back until later this evening."

"Okay, but be safe. Slayers could be roaming around, and be home before ten."

"Alright. I will. Bye."

"Bye."

Youngjae put his phone back into his pocket before calling a taxi because Central Park was way on the other side of the city. As they drove through the city and passed by the citizens, Youngjae couldn't help but think that these humans, innocent humans, are oblivious to the fact that there's more to their world that meets the eye. The things that partake behind locked doors. The mysteries and curiosity that could get them killed. The monsters it possess. Monsters like Youngjae. Vampires.

He sighed and looked straight to see Central Park gradually come into view.  After he paid the cabby, he made his way into the park. When he arrived at the park, it was already sundown and the sky was painted a fiery orange  He walked amongst the small crowd and when he came upon a fountain, the sun was completely gone, revealing thousands of shining stars and the city lights in the distance. The park was nearly empty. 

He took a seat and thought about his parents. As he looked at the stars, Youngjae recalled the time he and his parents went star gazing. He smiled and the sound of a small branch snapping in the trees caught his full attention. He tore his gaze away from the starry sky and looked in the direction where the sound came from to see the silhouette of a figure in the shadows of the trees  

With his guard up, he slowly stood up and cautiously walked towards the trees. As he was an arm's length away, the figure, with lightning speed, had Youngjae pinned down. The stranger had his right knee pushed painfully into Youngjae's shoulder while he grasped firmly onto Youngjae's right side of his shirt collar. 

"Hello, Yoo Youngjae. Or should I say, Pravus."

The stranger's tone of voice was cold to the core as he held a dagger to Youngjae's neck. Youngjae fought and struggled to free himself of the hold, failing miserably, but when he heard what the stranger had called him, he stopped. What is the Pravus?  Youngjae, with confusion, looked straight into the blood red eyes of the man, or more like boy...he looked young, younger than Youngjae, before asking. 

"What? What is the Pravus?"

The boy scoffed in disbelief and shoved his knee deeper onto Youngjae's shoulder. Making the said boy whimper at the incredible strength and pain. 

"Quit playing games! I know you're the Pravus."

Youngjae had no clue what the Pravus was. 

"I seriously don't know."

With all his strength, Youngjae threw the boy off of him, but the boy landed perfectly on his feet. Just as quick as before, the boy gave a hard punch to Youngjae's jaw, making him tumble and fall. 

"For the Pravus, you're pretty weak and I'm younger. But now that I look at it, I'm stronger than you. So I'll have no problem taking you down."

The boy pinned Youngjae once again, but this time, with more force so it hurt whenever Youngjae moved.

"I told you, I don't know what you're talking about."

The boy, still pinning Youngjae, pulled him up forcefully by the collar and put the dagger once again to his neck. 

"Lies! The blood of the Pravus runs through you." 

The boy's voice was as sharp as a blade, as poisonous as a snake. 

"I've already told you twice. I seriously have no idea what you are talking about!"

"I've been sent by Bang Yongguk himself to rid you of what rightfully belongs to Elysia! And when the time is right," The boy ran the tip of the blade along the side of Youngjae's neck, threatening him. "I won't hesitate to sink the cold blade of this dagger into your skin. This isn't the end, Pravus."

With that, the boy roughly let go of Youngjae and just like that, he was gone. Youngjae let out a deep breath he didn't know he had been holding. He sat up and his shoulder felt numb from the boy's knee. With a groan, he stood up, cradling his shoulder. What just happened? Who was that? What is Elysia? Who's Bang Yongguk? What is the Pravus?

Youngjae had all these questions running through his mind repeatedly as he walked to the entrance of the park to leave. He needed an explanation for all this. He needed answers. 

~~~~~

"Jung Daehyun, I assume you have completed your training? Am I correct?"

The said Slayer stood before the Slayer Elders who are obviously the one's in charge of every Slayer around the world. Basically, it's their own Elysia. Daehyun had just finished training in Busan along with two other Slayers his age and has returned to Seoul due to the summon of the Elders  

"Yes sir. I've heard from my uncle, Lee Howan, that you summoned me?"

"Yes, we have."

"What is it that I may do for you?"

"There is word that the Pravus is alive and is currently living in the city of New York with a guardian."

The Pravus. Daehyun recalled his uncle explaining to him about the Pravus. He said that this vampire is of great value and holds the power to enslave all the human race, including Slayers, and will rise as the new leader of all vampires  

"Yes, and what is it you want me to do?"

"Hunt it down, and don't hesitate to kill it. You, Jung Daehyun, are one of our best Slayers amongst the newbies. So we decided to trust you with this mission."

Daehyun looked at every Elder. Disbelief in his eyes. This was his first mission as a Slayer in The Slayer Society, and it wasn't just any mission, but a very and highly important one.

"Do you have a problem with that, young Slayer?"

Daehyun smiled nervously  

"N-no sir. No problem. Just give me the word to depart."

"We want you to depart now. You have until the end of your school year to compete this mission. Don't disappoint us. You are dismissed."

"Yes, sir."