Chapter VI

Love, Argentina...

They embarked on a misty, ghostly day. Himchan was scared and happy at the same time. Yongguk, however, could not hide the uneasiness. Catherine and her husband stayed behind to see them off; she and Seohyun were waving their handkerchiefs with individual nodes in the throat. Antoine shook his hat without much enthusiasm. The general, visibly nervous and excited, ran the pier like searching for something. He had insisted that his son accept bring to Argentina the old imperial seat of the family. After many protests, and seeing that it would make his father happy, Yongguk agreed and made the heavy chair get on the ship.
As soon they had sailed, and when the port was a shadow in the mist they  began to communicate with other passengers. One of them, a friendly and elegant gentleman, understanding the sadness of the young couple , approached them smiling.
-Are you going to South America?
-Yes, Argentina.
Gentleman's face lit up even more.
-I am Argentine, from the province of Entre Rios. Have you traveled to my country before?
-No, it's the first time. We don't even know the language.
-Oh, don't worry, I will teach you. If there's anything that excites me is to talk about my country. When we get there you'll know the necessary to not feel disappointed with the expectatives. These trips are long and you have to find a way to pass the time.
-We appreciate it.- Yongguk, livelier said.
Captain Fayole could just be with them for dinner. Busy in command of the ship, did not realize they were devastated. When he was able to speak, he comforted with his usual good humor and reassured them saying, ''I am the supreme authority here, put aside the concerns and in front of me reiterate your marital desires and I will make the relevant papers.''
After a sumptuous meal, -which the young travelers did little honor by the emotions of the day- he led to a charming cabin where everything was minimal but comfortable, and taking leave of them until the next morning.
Himchan felt a little dizzy, he lay waiting for Yongguk lie down. The caresses and kisses were infinite. They began timidly, but arriving at dawn, their bodies fused each other, resting peacefully.

The boat was slowly approaching the coast of Buenos Aires. October in Argentina was warm and the sun was high and bright. Himchan took his husband by the arm and pointing with his right hand the still far shore, he whispered in a brand new Castilian: '' Amor, Argentina ... ''
Yongguk looked the brightness of the black eyes and took those words that made him be born into a new world. It was the beginning of another life, leaving behind war and its miseries, speak another language, begin to miss the distant homeland and love this one.
They said goodbye to the Entrerriano repeatedly expressing gratitude.
-No, please, here is my card, if you need me do not hesitate to write. My country is large and in the port we will lose eachother, but that does not mean it will last forever.
When they landed they seemed drunk. Holding hands tightly trying to be understood in Castilian. The newly learned language sounded funny on their lips and people from the port helped them between laughs.
Finally they met with luggage and bulky Grandpa's chair. Fayole gave some directions of friendly people and giving millions of tips before dismissed. Thanks to him, they passed through customs and got their papers sealed without delay. Following the advice of the captain stayed in a hotel not far from the port. There were many foreigners, looked like the tower of Babel. Amid this confusion Mr. Meinot came looking for them, a fellow sent by the 'guardian angel' Fayole. Pleasantly surprised by Yongguk's knowledge of mathematics and enthusiasm, the French offered him a job for making surveys in the province.
-It's no good for you to stay in town. There was a yellow fever epidemic and, despite government efforts to combat the scourge, it is still very dangerous to stay in Buenos Aires. The fields are in Merlo. It is a small village to the west, you will get to know the geography Argentina. I advise you to move tomorrow.
-Sure, Monsieur Moinet, what you say -replied the travelers, tired, and hiding their concern about the unknown.
The first night in Argentina was quite traumatic. Yongguk recalled the danger of death his father had taken  in Mexico because of fever and shivered. Hugged Himchan and slept with an agitated and restless sleep. The next morning, Meinot went to look for them very early.
With great difficulty and dusty roads they journeyed westward in carts. Himchan sat on the imperial couch and went like a king swaying to the beat of the weary oxen. At noon they reached Merlo. It was a colonial town and Himchan loved it.
They looked down the street a few loose dogs, denoting an indifferent nonchalance. In the middle of the square a fountain in the center of which stood a Cupid could be seen running rough. Facing the humble little church, in the street, was housed a makeshift market where all kinds of items were displayed for sale. There they had contact with the first natives who watched since they had arrived in the country. They liked their air of solemnity, despite being dirty and ragged. The most posts were attended by loquacious and picturesque sellers of foreign origin. Apparently, Indians and Creoles were its suppliers. Almost at the door of the church, the carts unloaded their baskets of fruit in moments when the bell ringing began calling the faithful to Mass.

That same day Yongguk started working. Meinot introduced them to Mr. Molina -who was the landlord of Sale- and then placing them in a pension, very politely said goodbye and never saw him again.
Molina, a somewhat chubby swarthy which treats everyone with an air of superiority, owned a huge chariot drawn by some old horses that carried laborers who put stakes and marks and where Yongguk also carried their notebooks, compasses and theodolite means ramshackle, propertyof their header.
Himchan was left alone, but his active spirit and determined character prompting him to tour the town in search of better housing. They had some savings, and as Yongguk was working, they could make small investments that would be in favor of a more comfortable life.
The owner of the pension where they were staying, Mrs. Maria, indicated some houses that were for rent. He carefully walked across them but none liked it.  Almost on the outskirts, he saw a field surrounded by a high wall of reeds and, peeking toes, he could observe a rather dilapidated house, but still it showed that in his glory days had been stately.
It seemed completely abandoned. He was not encouraged to continue because the field was showing its vastness and felt some anxiety.
That night told Yongguk his walk and emphasized that they should find out if the house was on rent.
The poor husband was exhausted. He had walked miles and the weight of the theodolite still hurt his shoulder. He said yes to everything, kissed his talkative man and fell fast asleep.
The next morning, Molina's truck came looking for him before Himchan wake. He left a note: 'Darling, I promise you that tonight we will talk about that mysterious house that attracts you so much. Adores you, Yongguk. ''

He woke up when the first rays of sunlight filtered through the cracks of the window. He read the note, kissed until leaving wet paper, and dressed for breakfast with Mrs María.
Another day alone in Merlo. He found out where the mail office was and came out to ship the correspondences: a letter to Catherine and another for Seohyun, telling their early days in Argentina without mentioning the Indians, of course.
Leaving the mail he saw on the sidewalk opposite, a sign that read very well drawn letters: 'Municipality'. He crossed the street and entered a dilapidated mansion walls immaculate by the recent liming and windows painted green. Some of these -the windows corresponding to the low floor- were protected with thick iron bars, where the office mayor were.
-Good morning, sir. What can we be helpful? -The Speaker was an old man who had noticed the foreign origin of Himchan nor had either seen.
-Sir, I wonder ... there is a house down the street, one that is surrounded by a wall of reeds ...
-Ah, yes! The House of Salinas. is abandoned. There occurred a disgrace. The young girl Elvira became pregnant by having an affair with a fugitive soldier. The father, found out and killed her with blows, they say. Others say she have died in childbirth. Poor girl, finally, they left and the house was closed.
-Do you know if they would rent it?
-Well we have the address of Salinas in Buenos Aires. We can write them.
-Please, my husband and I arrived recently from France and would like to rent this house.
-Do not worry the story I told you?
-No, the ghosts scared if one bothers them. I do not want to bother anyone. I want a flower-filled garden, a kitchen where I can cook dinner for my husband, and a place where he can sit when he gets tired of working.
-Can I ask, sir, why do you came from afar to this village lost in the desert?
-It's a long story. With who I have the pleasure of talking to?
-Ah, excuse my bad manners! Soy Antonio Suarez, Justice of the Peace and president of the council, but for brevity, call me intendant; and I dealt with you when I was leaving to my daily walk. Where do you stay?
-With Mrs Maria Ruiz.
-Yes, excellent cook and good person. Here's my card, you can pass in a few days and I'll have the answer of Mr. Salinas.
-My name ... my husband's is Blachat. He is working with Mr. Molina. Makes surveying for land auctions.
-Aha, a surveyor. This is an ancient village, the area was settled shortly after the second foundation of Buenos Aires, and there is still much land to parcel.
-Well, I have to go, thank you for the information.
-Sir, it has been a pleasure to meet you, I walk you to the door.
Himchan left satisfied. The mayor had seemed very friendly and hoped that would process the rent of the house. As it was still early for lunch, he decided to take a stroll through the market.

 

 

 

Hi, hope you enjoyed the chapter, leave a coment if you want.

Have a nice day!