Chapter V

Love, Argentina...

Yongguk took the beloved face in his large hands and gave him a long kiss. The other held him, a little dizzy but happy, and asked:

-Will you take me to visit the captain Fayole's ship?
-Tomorrow afternoon I will come for you. You will like it, is a deep draft vessel, stunning and luxurious.
-Mom will want to join us. Let's go into the house I saw her peeking twice. Do not say anything about the trip and our dreams yet. After the wedding, we will tell them, okay my love?
-Do you think that would prevent the marriage if they found out?
-I think dad won't. He adores you. But Mom ... She will not want me to go that far. Remember that my brother died in Algeria and if I go they will be very lonely. If we liked Argentina we would stay to live there, right?
-Right now they are only dreams honey, do not worry. We'll see how things develop. If your parents force me to choose between you and America, I will die happy here, in France, do not hesitate.
Himchan gave him a quick kiss and entered the lobby. Seohyun had risen from the chair where she was crocheting and stepped forward to receive the visit from his future son with a stern expression. Her son cautioned the unwillingness of his mother and regretted that his boyfriend had to go through that. He tried to soften the moment with a domestic comment:
-Here we are, mom. I have so much appetite! Will we take an appetizer before dinner?
With great respect Yongguk bowed to the lady mumbling some words of courtesy. The confusion of the young man made her smile tenderly. She knew he was a very correct and good guy, who adored her son and would make him extremely happy, but was worried about their uncertain situation.
-Good evening, Yongguk. You came a little later today.
The son laughed funny seeing that his fiance's cheeks were tinged with red. Providentially Antoine came and the conversation took another direction.
-Son, I was waiting for you! Do you know anything about the situation in Lorena?
-The Germans are taking possession of farms. My mother, when she left, was allowed to take her clothes and some utensils, but the furniture and other belongings were left in their hands. They're abusers. They say that Paris was saved from a looting on large-scale by the intervention of Thiers, but if France agreed to sign the Treaty of Frankfurt, can not complain about such abuses right now.
-If Seohyun and I were younger son, we would climb one of those ships in the port and would leave to America. They say you can live with hope.
Himchan transformed his face into an expression of utter amazement and, after exchanging a glance with Yongguk, asked his father: -Would you like to live in America, Dad?
-Son, I love France with all my heart, but she abandoned many of their children. What can then make those who have nothing but despair and pain? If I were young I would try to live in a more promising ground.
-But there are wild indians in America! -Seohyun said-. I would not like to meet them.
-No, Mom, they say Buenos Aires is a very European city, and the ladies in there are charming and elegant.
-Buenos Aires? I was talking about the United States! Anyway, it must be difficult to speak another language and adapt to other customs.
Gros interrupted: -No doubt your father, Yongguk, would have liked to know the Argentina. Did he ever told his meeting with General San Martin?
-Do you know that story?
-Sure! My cousin was with him. They were young children of officers who participated in the celebrations for the visit made by, among others, José de San Martín to the king. They say Luis Felipe came forward with outstretched hands, and without you ignore the introducer, told the general: '' I have the keenest pleasure of shaking the right hand of a man like you. ''
Himchan and his mother, interested in the story, sat beside them. Gros continued:
-After the visit, San Martin asked to greet the military gathered there. Some veterans of Waterloo commented the heroism of the French in the battlefield and the presence of mind of Napoleon Bonaparte who, knowing that all was lost despite the fatigue, urged them to continue walking. The air was stifling, sweat wetting the cloth and evaporated by the intense heat - I can't explain how your grandfather could bear that-. San Martin listened in silence, and recognized that Napoleon the Great was a good strategist, but said the stubbornness of a great man and the value of their soldiers are not enough when you have to fight such an ambitious feat. The presents asked him to recount his own campaign at the crossing of the Andes -a very high mountains string-. The South American general in perfect French, said that in those peaks was almost or colder than winter in Russia, but the wind was maddening and almost all soldiers wore only a poncho -an indian garment consisting of a square of cloth with a cut in the middle through which the head pass- and the worn uniform, that hadn't been designed for such low temperatures.
-Poor soldiers!- Seohyun sighed.
-General San Martin was an old seasoned for life. He spoke of his homeland with unusual tenderness. They applauded him with admiration and respect. Imagine there was gathered the flower and cream of the French army with excitement listening to a great South American military. A symbol of friendship between the Old and the New World.
-When I escaped from the Uhlans, I went with the words of my father hitting me heart. Him, without remembering that hadn't told me about his meeting with the general, said goodbye telling me to go to San Martin's homeland. I was so stunned I did not try to decipher his message and thought it referred to a saint to encourage me. When I was in Liege, he told the episode and reiterated that I must go to Argentina.
-I won't let you go without me -Himchan said, smiling sweetly.
-Go there for honeymoon. But please, do not approach the indians.
-Seohyun, do not be alarmist. It is a good idea, you can meet America in a honeymoon.
-Yes, what a wonderful parents that I have, eh Gukkie? -said the boy clapping cheerful, while the oldest face reflected a great relief.
-I'll ask the captain Fayole the departure date of his boat.
-You must book a comfortable cabin and sure to be well looked during the trip; I don't want my child to suffer discomfort. Do you have enough money?
Yongguk, making an effort, ignored the question.
-Do not worry, Seohyun, your son is also a precious treasure for me and nothing will harm him being by my side.
During dinner they talked animatedly and counted each fantasies they had about Argentina. Yongguk told them what he knew from Fayole and everyone was pleased with the prospect of a great adventure. They agreed to meet two days later to visit together the passenger boat.

 

Himchan was impatient. He had twenty-two years old and his fresh and cheerful face expressed love and trust. His dark eyes were more giggly than his lips and, without being extremely beautiful, his natural and expansive grace made him irresistibly seductive. When he saw his fiance at the end of the street, ran to him and threw his arms extended in Yongguk's, who told him:
-Your mother will kill me if she saw that crazy race.
-Who cares! -exclaimed the young boy caught with joy, and taking his boyfriend's head in his hands and kissed him tenderly.
August came with an incredible speed, preparations for the trip were made. It seemed everyone in Marseille were accomplices of the couple.Yongguk's parents came from Belgium. Himchan was radiant. He had done what he had been able to overcome the resistance of his mother, because the wedding had not been possible due to the irregularity in Yongguk's papers because of not having made the choice of nationality. The mayor made them a provisional role until the boyfriend regularize his situation, but they were very eager to go to Argentina. Himchan wore a high-waisted trousers that highlighted his figure with a white shirt and a jacket completing his suit that countered his black hair.
Yongguk, in a characteristic and automatic gesture that meant he liked what he saw, ran his right hand through his hair, pulling it back. The smile of all present approved sympathetically his embarrassment. Catherine and Seohyun crossed knowing glances, satisfied to see how their children were in love and resigned not to see them married with more pomp and circumstance. But they were quiet, because the captain Fayole had promised make a new marriage on the boat.
After the short ceremony, Seunghyun hugged Yongguk really excited and again repeat that France was pain and America hope. Himchan approach them and heard the comment.
-Definitely general?
Father and son looked at him tenderly.
-Yes, dear. Even if it means not meet my grandchildren ... Argentina is the place.
-The homeland of General San Martin.
-You know the story, son? -asked the military pleased-. These men were truly great ones. Only had their convictions and their talent and with those few weapons fought for the freedom of his people as lions. How can we not admire them!

 

 

Thank you for subscribe!

I have to tell you that San Martin is one of my favourite hero...

So, this is the beginning of this first love story so join us on this travel and enjoy the story!!