Chapter III

Love, Argentina...

Catherine already had more than forty years, his grave and sympathetic face, crowned with graying hair, was noble; his eyes black and melancholy, seemed still wet by tears that had secretly poured. Thin and graceful, but strong health, was taking however, to avoid getting sick, certain precautions. A large shawl spread on her knees protected her delicate feet that for persistent flirtation, wore shoes with black satin.
Sitting in front of her and smoking a fat cigar, was Seunghyun.
Enthusiastically received the child, who could not keep the secret and that night at dinner, told them that Himchan had accepted his proposal of marriage, even though it was not yet formally asked Mr. Gros, and he was very happy and in love.
Over coffee, Yongguk and his father spoke for the first and last time about Franco-Prussian War.
-It was a nightmare, Father. I saw my friends die. Our army did not move well. There was a lot of skill and tactical inefficiency. We fought like lions to win a lost target in advance.
-Yes, some generals believed we would win with a scream that we were French, then Benzaine, who didn't met with the troops of Mc Mahon ... The most painful thing for me is losing Metz, our people, son, our home. Lorraine and Alsace are now in German hands. You know why, in the midst of my despair that day in the field, I told you were towards San Martin homeland? Then, I remembered  that I had never told this experience. In 1837, during a visit made by the South American General to King Louis Philippe, I met him. My father had taken me to the barracks, I was eleven and enthusiastic for those walks. San Martin was an old man so passionate about military issues and when he learned that my father had fought at Waterloo, explained clearly what had been the fault of our troops. I was very impressed. His name was José Francisco de San Martín and was an army general who had endured cold and hunger in their liberation campaign. He spoke with such passion for his distant homeland, Argentina, that moved us to close our throat. We were a group of veterans with some of their children-including me-who had been invited to form a guard of honor along with other, young and ambitious officers, who wore bright uniforms; my father wore cuirassier, with characteristic panache and metal plate. The South American old general, impeccable dress uniform, and wearing his victorious sword, greeted us one by one and unwittingly gave lessons of humility and true patriotism. If the adventure seduces you, you should know this American country.
-Yes, Father, but I'm about to get married. I'll renounce the army and I will return to my studies in mathematics to become an engineer.
-I know you can do it, son, I will be very proud when that happens. In our family there were great soldiers and great engineers, but above all, they were great men of good. Now I want to talk about something else. The Gros child is the perfect man for you, we know them long ago; but you must bear in mind that we can not help you financially. You know we have lost everything and it wouldn't be fair just turn to his parents, have you thought that you can not afford to raise a family?
-For the moment I try to think that things will be fixed. And if not, take your advice and I will leave with Himchan to America, the land of opportunity.
Yongguk hugged his father repeated times in those days. He had a feeling that soon Seunghyun's life  would be extinguished. He knew what he had said was true. They had no fortune, they had only some influential friends who were fleeing to London to escape the new regime, and for that reason would not be helpful.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ah, this chapter is not so long like the others but is pretty, right? :3