II

Love, Argentina...

Marseille was a port city with a lot of movement and sailors from all over the world roamed the streets. Ships were coming from America, laden with grain and other products, while others went out to that place full of people with dreams of peace and prosperity.
They had agreed that Catherine would contact him through the Gros family. General Charles Gros and grandpa Joseph Blachat were soldiers of Napoleon Bonaparte and were close friends for the rest of their lives.
Yongguk remembered a visit made to the Gros in Marseille when he was ten. The general, who was very old, felt adoration for his grandson Himchan, also a ten years old. Both children, barely found themselves, got along and played long games of chess on a tiled patio geometrically arranged they also served to practice arithmetic.
With these images in mind, Yongguk came to the gate of the large garden surrounding the house of the Gros. The sun was shining and although it was cold, it was a pleasure to be outside.
Himchan cut flowers and placed them carefully in a basket hanging from his arm. He saw from the corner of the eye the young man stopped in front of the gate. He knew that he would come at any time because Catherine had written to them to safeguard their child alone in Marseille. He approached smiling and gave him a flower.
-Hello, soldier. We were waiting for you. You still have the same embarrassed expression from when I met you at the age of ten. Come on in. You are welcome in this house.
He mumbled a greeting. Himchan's smile was charming. He had become a beautiful boy, slight and graceful, but with great force in his eyes. He, funny, led him to the hall where his parents, Antoine and Seohyun were.
-I bring you the soldier that we were waiting.
The Gros embraced him warmly and during the day, tried to him to feel comfortable.
The flower gift from Himchan went to Seohyun hands, who smiled delighted with the detail.
From that evening, Yongguk's visits to the Gros family became frequent. He held deep talks with Antoine and Seohyun, but especially with the young man, who was very knowledgeable thanks to the extensive library that his grandfather presented him while strolling through the garden, enchanted with the perfume of the climbing roses and singing birds.
Himchan criticized vehemently the Empress Eugenia de Montijo. Blamed her for push them to war, and cared about the fate of France, immersed in so many revolutionary outbreaks and mass movements unpredictable.
Antoine remembered with sadness that the country had made a great progress under the rule of the Emperor and the end seemed very unfair.
-In Paris- interrupted Seohyun- were born the great shops Aux Bon Marché, La Samaritaine, Le Printemps.
-Mont Cenis was drilled, and in 1869, the Empress attended the opening of the Suez Canal, done by a French engineer with majority of national capitals -said Yongguk, funny because it was like a contest of opinions and continued with a theme that was passionate, engineering.
-The Opera, the San Agustin Church and Trinidad, Les Halles plants, the innovative work of iron and glass, were also buildings of the Empire -said Himchan, and his father ended up saying:
-The prestige of France gave in to the Prussian. Came the Hohenzollern candidature for the Spanish throne and this was no longer just a matter of prestige. Excessive confidence in oneself and the ruse of Bismarck did the rest.
Yongguk, with a grim expression, wondered how much longer would be his father, the other officers and the Emperor, prisoners in Wilhemshöle.
Catherine told, in one of the many letters she sent to the address of the Gros, that she had received news about Seunghyun who was not in good health. The uncertainty had made him sick. Despite his strong will and knowing that his wife and son were safe, the brave military could not mitigate their losses. The news coming in from Paris were disappointing and his great love for France leave him heartbroken.
Finally, in March 1871, he was released. He immediately traveled to Liege, where he met with Catherine and from there, wrote to his son asking him to visit them.

The sun gilded the tops of the reddish trees, warming the bushes and the silence was growing as Yongguk approached the friend home. Himchan received him by giving the last letter. After reading it avidly, driven by joy, hugged the boy until he was almost breathless. At that time, feeling him like a prisoner in his arms, felt that he loved him with all his strength.
Their relationship was warm and friendly. Himchan Gros, always energetic and cheerful, had not shown him more than the love and affection for a great friend. Faced that certainty, he was afraid and decided to talk about his feelings that night, after dinner, while giving their usual walk through the garden. If he reject him, he will travel to Belgium and never return to Marseille.
After dessert, the youth went to the garden. The night was warm and the moon looked like a round mirror hanging in the sky. By common agreement they took the path leading to the small marble fountain that Seohyun had made place for wild birds to drink. The monotonous murmur of the water caressed his thoughts. Himchan broke the silence:
-Something bothering you? You are very quiet.
-No. I'm fine -was the answer.
He stopped in front of him and nailed his big black eyes in the others. After that intense look no words were needed. They kissed, lips barely touching, and continued looking each other until Himchan lifted his delicate hand and the manly face while smiling sweetly. Yongguk felt transported in a perfumed cloud, wrapped his arms around him and whispering that he loved him with madness, proposed marriage. Himchan pulled back a little disturbed and looking into his eyes again responded:
-I was dreaming of this moment since I was ten. But, don't say anything yet, let's wait for you to come from Belgium.
Leaving the house Gros's, the young soldier was happy, walked the streets from Marseille through Our Lady of the Guard, the esplanade of the old fort of San Juan, the Cannebiere, where you could see the ocean as a thick silver quicksilver, reflecting the stars, went up by Noailles and crossed to the left side Meilham avenue toward the barracks.