Chapter VII

Love, Argentina...

Ten days have passed. One morning, Mrs. Maria knocked at the door of the Blachat's room with an obviously disturbed face.
-Sir, get dressed quickly! The mayor came to see you!
-Well, Maria do not worry. Does the mayor would be so kind to wait a few minutes? Today I slept more than usual.
-Will you keep the mayor waiting?
-Well, well ... tell him, please, that I'm coming.
The Spanish lady went down the creaking wooden stairs and told Suarez, totally blushed, if he could wait a few minutes until Mr. finished dressing. The man nodded with a smile and asked if he could sit. Mrs. Maria, close to collapse, pulled up a chair and poured him a glass of lemonade.
The poor woman had never had at home such an important person and was stunned, wondering what the mayor wanted with her French guest.
Fifteen minutes later Himchan came down with a charming smile, apologized for the delay and sat opposite the old man with all naturalness.
-Sir, I have good news on that matter entrusted me.
Saying this, Suarez turned to Mrs. Maria, who watched expectantly. Seeing the interrogators eyes directed towards her, jumped and disappeared behind the heavy curtains that hid the entrance to the kitchen.
-Why don't we go for a walk? The day is splendid and a walk would not hurt, I'm an old respectful man and do not think you have mound accompanying me to my office ... especially since it seems that here the walls have ears.
To Himchan does not had escaped the curiosity of Spanish, which was probably stuck to the curtains to hear the conversation, and gladly accepted.
When they reached the city, Himchan could read a lease that was already written in their names and that night, when he came Yongguk they were to sign it.
-We'll have to clean, paint, fix, but it will be our home ...- Yongguk said tenderly. Both young men took the keys of the house as a rare present and looked at each other in love, almost forgetting that the mayor was watching them. With a short cough he invited them to dinner with his family, who was delighted with the visit and offered all their help.

The next day, a mason and a carpenter, sent by the new '' guardian angel '', began working in the abandoned house that in a short time, regained its lost beauty.
The ground floor was spacious, the kitchen had good ventilation and generous sun streamed through the large windows. The first floor consisted of a reading room, a lounge, a bathroom and two bedrooms. For one of these it came to a spiral staircase leading to a garden that was a long thick grass trim ring and in its four corners, clumps of foliage mixed with wildflowers.

The wife of the mayor, went to take some biscuits to Himchan for tea in his company said,  with gossip and shocked intonation, that the ladder was used by the lover to sin with the girl of Salinas, adding that that's why God had punished her causing the baby to be born dead and had paid their sins with death.
Himchan disliked the comment, he was a supporter of love in all its forms. He didn't think that God had something with the misfortune of the young lovers and sympathized with the poor dead girl, while lamenting the loss of the baby. This episode make him instinctively avoid the company of Mrs. Suarez.

Himchan was accustomed to spend the day all alone, walked the market as a nice routine and everyone greeted him fondly.
Suddenly he is beginning to show his pregnancy. He walked proud and hid the sadness of not having his husband at his side. Land auctions were at their peak and Yongguk worked every day from dawn to sunset. Truck noise, heavy and wobbly, was eagerly awaited by the youngest since the sky was dyed purple. But the older came exhausted and worried about the job of the next day; So, after dinner, fell exhausted into bed.

One morning, during his usual walk to the market, Himchan noted that Indian Mara, who provided a herbalism place, watching him intently.
For several days he felt her eyes fixed on him and, as was curious about what called her attention, so he approached her.
-Do you need something from me Mara? Tell me if I can help.
The india, dirty and ragged, and with the saddest look you ever saw, replied timidly:
-Mr., you will need  Mara when the time comes. Mara knows what to do. Does the sir wants me to join you in this trance?
Looking at her tenderly, Himchan took the woman's hand and, with sweet words of thanks, asked her to accompany him to his house. Once there, he invited her into the kitchen and opened his heart.
-Actually, Mara, I am scare. My mother and my mother in law are far away and my husband works all day ... I thought about seeking for help in a while, but you offer to me and I accept grateful and relieved. Do you have kids? Do you live far from here?
-No, sir, I could not have them. So they threw me out ... my people thought it was some kind of curse. But I helped others to bear children. I learned what to do when the time comes ... and do not live far sir, I do not live anywhere, in any space I get in after dark.
The heat of tears clouded his eyes, but practicality won out. He went to the big iron stove, placed a thick logs inside and pulled a pan full of water to be warm. Then, with a smile, he said:
-You will take a bath, I'll wash your hair and you'll get clothes that I will lend you. I'd like you to live with us, we need your help. Do you want to be my friend?
The poor Indian was confused. She liked the idea of being clean and having new clothes, but such generosity on the part of a 'gringo' 'touched her and did not know what to answer. Finally Himchan put his hands together in an attitude of prayer and looking into her eyes asked: Yes?
Mara smiled and nodded. She was carried away by his new employer that, taking her hand again, he led her to a room located behind the large kitchen, where there were all sorts of things and furniture piled in disarray.
-This will be your room. Can you help me clean it up?
The India took the broom from the young man hands and gently replied: -You sir, can not do any work, That's whay I am here. I'll take care of you and your child and if your husband is good we'll take care of him too.
-Yongguk good? My husband is a saint! He works a lot that I'm afraid he won't resist. Every day I asked how to make my Yongguk get a less demanding work. I adore him, Mara.
Noting that Himchan's face darkened, she said tenderly: -Now you have to think of your child. He will be a healthy and cute child who will complete your happiness. 
Caressing his belly Himchan asked: -Do you think it will be a boy? - And he thought aloud: -I wish him to inherit the traits of his father and grandfather ... and his honesty.

Mara was very useful, helping in all chores and was good company. They could never know how old she was, because she did not know what, but Yongguk guessed she was about forty. As he had never celebrated his birthday, he invented a proposed date and cook for her, every year they were together, a cake decorated with meringue, like Catherine made them.
One afternoon, when the night was stalking, both were entertained in the lamps and chandeliers condition. Himchan took the sails of a dresser drawer and as he turned to return to the table, ran into an apelike figure watching him with a smile full of slime.
The scream echoed through the house, Mara ran desperately thinking that it was time delivery but seeing a man standing in the middle of the kitchen, quickly took the Winchester from Yongguk and pointed directly at his face. Outside could be heard galloping horses approaching. The man looked terrified at the door and then, with more fear to Mara, holding the rifle firmly. Himchan took advantage of the confusion and ran to received those who came.
-Lord, the intendant send us. Close all doors and windows! We're looking for a prisoner who escaped from the police station. This house is very secluded. Does your husband will take long to arrive?
Before he could answer Himchan the sound of gunfire coming from the house was heard. About to faint he sat on the front steps and waited. Within minutes they took the man, wounded in the leg, and Mara, holding the still-smoking rifle.
-Sir, this Indian lives with you?
Himchan and hugging joined Mara replied:
-She just saved my life and my baby.
After this episode, Yongguk was concerned to work but were times of auctions and abundant tasks to fulfill.

At year's end, Antonio Suarez left the post due to the infirmities of old age and was succeeded by Angel Rodriguez.
They removed the sign saying the word Municipality in front of the building and put another one where the word Mayor appeared with the same font of the foregoing, and everything remained the same in this small town in the west of the province of Buenos Aires.
Rodriguez was a tall, middle-aged, and soon made friends with the marriage. He admired the integrity with they were carrying uprooting and helped in everything he could.
Sunday afternoon came to the house of Blachat with a package of biscuits scented anise and had an animated conversation while smoking a fat cigar.
Thanks to the mayor, they were very aware of what was happening in the country. The war with Paraguay was very difficult and many families lost their children; Sarmiento himself had lost his beloved son in combat.  Yongguk is greatly interested in the stories of war and asked for more information about the development of the battles. Then he fell prisoner of melancholy that was difficult evading.