Chapter 7

A Ghost's Bride

Reluctantly leaving LuHan behind, I grabbed a lantern and rushed to the servant's quarters. I prayed LuHan would hold on for a little longer...

 I banged frantically at the door, Cook opened the door, behind her stood a bewildered Song Qian. I gestured at Song Qian to follow me. The look on my face was probably enough to convince her something bad had happened. I was worried she would be scared with LuHan being a spirit and all... But it was LuHan whom had called for her in such a time...

I was definitely going to find out more about this,but first we had to save LuHan!

We hurried back, a little drenched from the ongoing storm, to find LuHan shivering badly on the floor. What scared me greatly was that his legs had disappeared!

Song Qian saw this and started turning things over, " Someone must have placed a talisman here! We have to get rid of it and fast!"

I did'nt need to be told twice and soon I was joining her in the find for it, by now LuHan's waist was disappearing and he looked like he was going to pass out. This fuelled me to search harder! I prayed desperately that we would find it. 

The only place untouched was the bed but there was nothing under the pillows or the blankets! I placed my hands behind the curtains of the bed post and touched something smooth and hard. Without thinking I grabbed it and hurled it out of the doors Through the raging storm I could hear the faint sound of it smashing on the ground outside.

Almost immediately LuHan stopped shivering and had seemed to gain back some energy. HIs form started to grow stronger and his lower torso was reappearing. It was such a relief for me that I plopped myself onto the floor next to LuHan.

"T-Thank you..." murmured a weak LuHan, I nodded at him.

" Such a relief! I wonder who was that scoundrel who placed that there?!" ranted Song Qian

This reminded me! I had yet to know about the connection between LuHan and Song Qian...

As if LuHan had read my thoughts he looked at me and said "You're probably curious why I asked you to find Song Qian right..."

I nodded fervently and looked up at Song Qian. She smiled sheepishly and took a deep breathe before explaining.

Song Qian was abandoned at the door steps of a fortune teller, this I knew. What I didn't know was that she had the third eye and could see spirits. As Song Qian had to help her aging foster father, she decided to work as a servant for the Lu's, (in which she could stand a chance to catch a big fish if the Lu's had a handsome young master to seduce, but she didn't expect someone frail and gentle, like Luhan which was not her kind as quoted by Song Qian) to this LuHan rolled his eyes. Song Qian had just joined when LuHan was still around or rather during LuHan's last days.To this, Song Qian's tone took a turn and became sombre...

That fateful night when LuHan had quarrelled with his Father during dinner, at this part, a look of sadness flashed across LuHan's features; in a fit of anger, LuHan ran out and never came back. Father-in-law was returned LuHan's jade pendant, in which the officers found by the river, his body however was missing. Father-in-law took a week to finally give in that his son was dead,and organized the funeral, til this day LuHan's body was still unfounded. Since the spirit of the deceased came back on the seventh day, Song Qian was able to see him with her third eye. Since Song Qian was the only one who could see him in the household, they naturally became friends, with her keeping it as a secret, since no one would believe her anyway.

After hearing all this I looked at Luhan, he had regained his full form and sat there looking down at the ground. He didn't even notice Song Qian was finished with her explaination... perhaps all these were bad memories he didn't want to be reminded of. I touched his shoulder gently, Luhan looked up meeting my eyes and gave me a small smile, but I could see the sadness in his eyes.

 

As it was very late into the night, Song Qian hurried off to the servant's quarters before she got into trouble. By now the storm had subsided to a drizzle, LuHan sat on the bed staring off into the distance, he must have realized my awkwardness around him. "Sorry for keeping you up, I'll be going! Sleep well!"

I could sense the sadness in his voice, LuHan was not alright indeed. I walked over and patted his clenched hands reminding him that he had another friend in this household.

"You're wondering why I'm sad... of course how could I not be... after witnessing my own funeral and m-my father...h-he was no longer the same after I died." LuHan's words seem to be blaming himself. I sat down next to him patting his back gingerly, unsure of how to go about comforting him. 

I patted his arm and went over to the table and grabbed the Book of odes, LuHan looked at me puzzled. 

I remembered coming across this particular poem... there it was! I showed the poem to LuHan.