Chapter 5

A Ghost's Bride

It turned out to be a bad day the next day. The moment I stepped into the kitchen, the other servants flinched when I neared them and avoided me. This continued on till mid-day. Disturbed, I went to talk to Song Qian about it, apparently Song Qian had also noticed this, both of us suspected it had to do with step mother-in-law, but after snooping around and pestering the others, Song Qian found out it was because Feng Jie had seen me communicating to myself yesterday,nodding my head to the air as if I was responding to someone. They thought I had gone mad...

I was bewildered at first but it dawned on me that they must have seen me communicating to LuHan, only they couldn't see him. I didn't want to scare Song Qian so I decided to tell a white lie, I wrote down on paper explaining that I was so worried about her beacause of the air raid scare that I panicked and was wondering where to find her.Song Qian read it and seemed to believe me, even laughing at the others for being so silly. 

Though the others thought me to be mad, Cook must have thought me to be still capable of running an errand for her.

 

I wandered the streets headed towards the market place near the town square, the streets teeming with people. People were going about doing their things while groups of children were playing about and peddlers pushing their wares, the streets were very much alive despite war on the brink of us, life still had to carry on. There were more beggars on the streets these days. most likely driven to poverty by the ongoing war...

I wished I could help them, but I didn't have much money on me,that several copper coins cook passed to me were just enought to get the herbs she needed. I walked quckly pass the beggars, praying that they would be able to get by from other's kindness.

Soon I turned a corner and continued walking, the market place as near here, this area where a cluster of influential families lived, mostly government officials and dignatories. I found the herbs wholesaler and hurried over.

 

 

LuHan was back at the same doorstep, hiding in the shadows of the pillar.He would always spend a little of his time here practically everyday.LuHan wondered if things would be different if he were still alive, but such things could only leave it at a what-if.

He really shoud'nt be clinging onto such things anymore what with him no longer alive and the descending war...

LuHan turned away and heaved a sigh, behind him the sign bearing the words Bai Fu (The Bai residence) hung high on the doorstep, proud and shining.

He looked up and saw a familiar girl, it was Yanchen! He seemed to be everywhere she was, this days. What was she doing here? he thought,LuHan decided to follow her. Hiding in the shadows, like all the other spirits who took shelter in the shade, away from sunlight which would harm them.After all they were beings who no longer belonged to the living side. LuHan nodded at them, he empathized with them, after all they were the same, beings stuck in limbo, for they couldn't give up what they once had.

LuHan took shelter behind a large cart piled high with ganny sacks, the position gave him a good view of Yanchen in a herb shop. Yanchen was fiddling with an abacus before passing it over to a old man, whom must be the shopkeeper. LuHan realised she was haggling with him over the price of the herbs! Why would she do that, it was such a hassle! Just give him however much he wants, LuHan could never understand why there was a need to bargain.

After a while Yanchen was finished, she left the shop with the bundles of herbs and a small smile on a face. LuHan assumed she had gotten it at a 'reasonable price'. Keeping up with her, LuHan went from shade to shade,anywhere away from the direct sunlight.

Suddenly Yanchen stopped, LuHan looked up to see a large crowd had formed ahead, most of them were the pitiful beggars. Their hands were out scrambling to get the food given out by the missionaries. He knew they were missionaries from the nearby church because LuHan had done so himself when he was still living,when she had asked him to join.

Amidst the chaos to get the food, a young boy was pushed onto the ground.LuHan had almost forgotten he was no longer alive and wanted to help the young boy, but, Yanchen was already ahead of him, helping the poor boy up and [passing him two copper coins.

Something warm lit up inside LuHan as he saw what Yanchen had done... He then realized the boy was staring straight at him...

LuHan didn' know what made him run off, it was not like he was doing anyhting bad. Did the young boy really see him? after all there were people who had the third eye, he knew of one such person... 

Speaking of which how could Yanchen see him and come into contact with him, but yet she couldn't seem to see the other spirits whom had passed by her? LuHan had noticed this from the start but didn't give much thought to it till now.

Still, the act of kindness as shown by Yanchen made him smile uncontrollably...