Chapter 6

A Ghost's Bride

The young boy ran off as if he was afraid of something. Probably me... my face was its usual pale and my hair must have been in such a mess. I smiled as I saw his little silhouette turn a corner and disappeared.

Above the sky darkened, it seemed like it was going to rain soon! I thought of Luhan...They said that whenever it rained,spirits would take shelter in homes or buildings because the electrical elements in the air would affect them.Luhan was a spirit but he wasn't harmful, he seemed like a great companion to be around. Perhaps another friend in the Lu manor would make life easier...

Thunder rumbled ahead, I hastened my steps, homebound.

I passed Cook her herbs before rushing back to my chamber to grab what I needed for a bath.

As I stepped in, I knew something was off... The Book Of Odes was placed on the study desk, but I remembered I had placed it on the bed. I had fell asleep with it in my hands yesterday and didn't bother to put it on a table. Shrugging it off, I grabbed whatever I needed and headed to the bathroom.

Dinner was soon served after I had my bath. I ate my food heartily, famished from all the running about I did today.It was already dark outside, and Luhan had yet to appear... This was weird because Luhan had always appeared during dinner, the flames from the white candles flickered, as if agreeing with me.

Now that I thought of it, I haven't seen Luhan since last night.It seemed like a long while ago, though it was just yesterday.

How he was beside me the whole time while we were searching for Song Qian, occasionally giving me small smiles to reassure me, he almost seemed like a lover.

Drats! I shouldn't be thinking about this! He was only trying to help! Besides he and I...we didn't belong in each other's world...

My thoughts went back to the day he bandaged my wound, instinctively, I touched the small scar on my right palm. Surely someone like him would make a good lover. Before I realized, my lips had curved into a smile.

 

Minutes passed before becoming hours and soon it was already late. I was already in my sleep-wear,tossing and turning on the bed. Luhan had not appeared at all till now... I wondered why.

A flash of lightning scared me, followed by the loud crash of thunder that came almost immediately. Rain started to pour down,it was just like the night Luhan had appeared and I had passed out from the fright. This time I was no longer afraid, I didn't know why but I hoped Luhan would appear soon.

Indeed a gust of wind blew through though all the windows were closed, exactly like that very night! It had got to be Luhan!

 

As soon as he materialized, he collapsed onto the ground...Shivering and quaking as if something was attacking him! 

Very much concerned, I scrambled over to help. I touched him cautiously, he was wet... No... he was drenched! As if he was submerged into a well... Could it be the storm that affected him? 

He could barely speak and was shaking so badly, as I held onto him. 'What happened?!' I mouthed to him.

Luhan grabbed my arm and looked up at me, even this seem to take a great amount of effort from him. I then realized his being was getting fainter until I could almost see through him... this was bad... What was happening exactly?! His hair plastered to his pale forehead as he mouthed words at me... 

I nearly missed what he had said " Find Song Qian..."