Chapter 2

Beauty's Daughter

The next morning, Himchan made them both breakfast before she hurried out the door. It was Tuesday so she had to work but he was free for the day. Not that he didn't keep himself busy. He gave the apartment a good scrubbing, making sure everything was clean, neat, and orderly. Only then did he allow himself to sit in front of the tv and relax.
Just as he decided on a show, he received a text message from his manager. Tomorrow's photoshoot was canceled but Friday's shoot was still scheduled. He sent a quick reply that he got the message and then made himself comfortable.
That was when the doorbell rang and Himchan got up to answer the front door. The woman standing there with a briefcase seemed a bit apprehensive but then appeared relieved when she saw him.
"You're Kim Himchan." she said.
"Uh... yes." he said, not sure if it was a question or not. "Can I help you?"
She hesitated for a moment. "There is no real easy way to say this. May we come in?"
"How about you tell me what business this is first?" he questioned suspiciously.
Again she hesitated before sighing. "Well... it's about your daughter."
The word sounded foreign to him. Daughter? He had no children. "I'm sorry. You must have me confused with a different Kim Himchan." he told her and started to close the door.
He quickly froze when she said her name though.
"What?" he mindlessly uttered in shock, staring at the woman in front of him.
"It was a summer fling, right?"
Himchan remembered that summer as if it happened yesterday. And he remembered her. How they spent the entire summer together as if nothing could tear them apart. Except for the end of the summer apparently. He just got his first modeling contract and she was leaving to study abroad. They had decided to end it, knowing it wouldn't last over long distances and busy schedules.
"My name is Park Eunkyung. I was her lawyer for the... for the last few weeks of her life."
It took his mind a few seconds to process what she said. Then it felt like someone punched him in the gut. "Last few weeks?"
A sadness filled Eunkyung's eyes. "Yes. I'm sorry." She took a deep breath. "I'm trying to fulfill her last wishes which includes..." She trailed off and looked down next to her.
Himchan followed her gaze and saw a pair of eyes looking up at him before they disappeared around the corner.
"Come here Micha." Eunkyung said and beckoned the child over.
A small girl slowly stepped in to the doorway and stood very close to the woman's leg. She stared up at him with wide eyes and Himchan stared back at her in much the same way.
"Like I said, there is no real easy way to say this but there is a lot to discuss. May we come in?"
Himchan swallowed before nodding his head, not quite trusting his voice. He stepped to the side to let them in and then closed the door.

He offered them a seat on the couch which Eunkyung took. Micha stayed standing though while looking around the room. She still stayed very close to Eunkyung and was clutching a metal lunchbox tightly to her chest.
He couldn't take his eyes off of her. The little girl had her nose. But the chin... his? And those eyes...
"Ahem" Eunkyung cleared .
Himchan finally broke out of his observation and looked at the lawyer. "Uh... sorry."
She smiled at him in understanding. "This is a lot to take in." She opened her briefcase and took out a folder containing a packet of papers. "Here is a copy of the will." she explained and set it on the coffee table. "In the case of Micha, she wished for her daughter to live with you."
"With me??" he exclaimed and gaped at her. "But I... I mean... I don't know...." he stammered.
All that was going through his head was the life he already had. His modeling, which sometimes happened at all hours of the night. And Yunseo. Things were just getting serious with her and he wanted to see just how far their relationship could go. His life was running smoothly, orderly, and it was suddenly being upended.
"How do I even know she's mine?" he thought out loud. Though part of him knew that was a useless question. If his ex said Micha was his, then it was the truth.
Eunkyung's mouth opened and closed a few times without her making sound. Finally she let out a heavy breath. "Look, normally none of this would be happening. Your name is not on the birth certificate and you haven't been a part of Micha's life." she explained. "But she was very adamant that Micha is your daughter and that she wanted you to know she existed."
Himchan's eyes flickered briefly to the little girl again who was now staring at him.
"If this isn't going to work out though," the lawyer continued, "I can see about contacting her maternal grandparents and having her live with them."
Maternal grandparents? They raised their daughter afterall. They would know about children and how to raise them. Better than he could ever. Wouldn't that be better for everyone? Himchan looked at the lawyer again. "Yes. I think that would be for the best."
She nodded her head and sighed. "I suppose I should ask a favor of you then. They live out of the country and travel often. It may take a week or two to contact them and have them come here." She stared intently at him. "Can I leave Micha in your care until then?"
Himchan blinked in surprise at her. "But..."
"It'll only be temporary." she hurriedly said. "Then at least you can get to know your daughter a little bit before she leaves the country."
He's mind raced as he thought about it. A week or two wouldn't be bad right? He could handle that much at least. "Alright." he agreed.
Eunkyung smiled brightly at him. "Great I have her bags in my car."
He offered to help her carry the bags in so Eunkyung told Micha to stay in the apartment. The entire walk to the car parking and back, the woman kept reassuring Himchan that everything would be fine. She'll also take care of all the paperwork for Micha's passport and change of guardianship so he'll just have to wait for her phone call.
Back in the apartment, she gave him her business card and kissed the little girl on her head. "You be a good girl now Micha."
Micha quickly grabbed her though, looking between Himchan and the woman.
"What's wrong dear?" Eunkyung asked as she kneeled down.
The girl leaned in close to whisper but Himchan still heard her clearly. "I don't want to be here."
Eunkyung raised her eyebrows in surprise. "But you were excited before."
Micha didn't say anything but clutched the lunchbox tighter.
"It'll be okay sweetie." Eunkyung reassured her. "You'll see. And then you'll be with your grandparents."
Micha pressed her lips together before finally nodding her head. The woman smiled and hugged her. Then Himchan politely showed her out, leaving him alone with Micha.

He eyed the little girl for a moment before walking over to sit on the couch. "Um... hi. My name is Himchan." he told her.
She only eyed him in return, without saying anything. An uncomfortable silence filled the room as they stared at each other.
Then her face changed and she was giving him a hard look. "Can I watch cartoons?"
"Uh..." he uttered, a little bit surprised. He glanced at the tv and saw that he had already missed a good portion of his show. "Sure." he answered and grabbed the remote.
He changed the channel and as soon as the cartoon penguin appeared on the screen, Micha sat on the floor in front of the tv with her back to him.
He sighed before looking away and noticing the folder on the table. He took out the papers and thumbed through the will until he found the part about Micha. Sure enough, his ex wanted Micha to live with him.
He skimmed through the rest of the will until the end. There were more papers though as he shifted the top pile off to the side. This piece of paper seemed to be information about the past few months. Including a date that glared at him. He inhaled sharply at the numbers and the words next to them. "Date of death from cancer". It was only one week ago.
He quickly grabbed the will and put it back on top of the stack, covering the offending paper. He swallowed thickly at the uneasy feeling in his stomach and pressed his lips together. This was too much for him.
He rubbed his face with both hands before taking a deep breath. Then he eyed the little girl in front of the tv again as he chewed on his bottom lip.
Suddenly she turned her head to look at him. "I'm hungry."
He blinked a few times at her straight-forwardness. "Um, okay. I'll make us.."
"I want peanut butter jelly sandwich." she proclaimed.
He raised an eyebrow at her. "I don't have any peanut butter or jelly though. How about fried rice?"
"I want peanut butter jelly sandwich." she repeated stubbornly.
"I just said I don't have any." he told her, feeling slightly annoyed and letting it show in his voice. "We'll have fried rice for lunch."
She huffed and stuck her lips out as she pouted. "Fine." she grumbled before turning back to the tv.
"What is with this child?" He sighed and reminded himself this was only temporary. Then he stood up and went to the kitchen. He pulled out the ingredients he needed, making sure to have enough for two people instead of one.