Chapter 3

Beauty's Daughter

The rest of the day went by just as 'smoothly'. There was no doubt she had a bit of a stubborn streak. Not to mention ignoring him whenever he asked her a question. The only time she acknowledged him was when she wanted something.
Himchan told himself to brush it off. This was their first day meeting and having to live here with him had to be as awkward for her as it is for him.
It wasn't until dinner that the last of his patience was gone. She stubbornly refused to eat the meal he prepared for them, pushing her plate away.
"Eat." he instructed her and pushing the plate towards her again.
She pushed it back across the table. Then he pushed it back.
"Eat!" he ordered again, much louder.
Finally she picked up her fork and he took a deep breath to calm himself down. He focused on his own food and ate while mentally grumbling. When he was just about finished, he looked over at her and noticed how little she had eaten. Instead she was more occupied pushing the food around her plate with her fork and playing with it.
"Why aren't you eating?" he questioned.
"I'm done." she stated.
With how little food was missing, Himchan knew she wasn't exactly being truthful. He was in no mood for another argument though. "Fine. Go."
She dropped her fork and got off the chair. She hurried back to the couch and plopped down to watch more cartoons. All day long she had appropriated the tv from him, refusing to let him change the channel at all.
He took one last bite of his food and set his fork down. He pinched the bridge of his nose and reminded himself that this was only going to be another week or so. Then Micha will be with someone who will know what to do in times like this.

Gathering up both of their plates, he went to the kitchen area. He carefully scraped her food in to a bowl and covered it in case she got hungry later. Then he filled the sink with soap and water to wash the dishes. The mindless task of cleaning the kitchen helped calm his mind. He let himself get carried away with it as time ticked by, wiping every inch of counter space and making sure everything was perfectly in place. Once finished, he stepped back and admired how orderly everything looked. But then that left him with nothing to do.
With a sigh, he went to the living room and sat down on the couch. The cartoons on the screen bored him though so he eyed the girl sitting next to him. She calmly sat there and didn't acknowledge him observing her. All day long he had catered to her despite her small stature. "How could someone so tiny dominate a person's life that easily?"
Hiding yet another sigh, he turned back to face the television. Then his gazed landed on the metal lunchbox resting on the coffee table. She had held it for so long, it seemed strange that it was just suddenly laying there. He leaned forward and took it in his hands, turning it so he could see the picture adorning it.
"NO!!"
He jumped and whipped his head to stare at the little girl. He was so shocked by her scream that he barely registered the lunchbox being ripped out of his hands.
She backed away from him and clutched the lunchbox tightly. "Don't touch!"
His mouth dropped open as he blinked at her. "I was just looking at it."
"Don't touch it!" she yelled at him again.
Then his eyes narrowed, growing angry from her behavior. "I was just looking at it. You don't have to react this way." he said with an edge to his voice.
She didn't say anything in reply but scrunched up her face and narrowed her own eyes at him.
Her glare only fueled his irritation as he glanced at the clock. Late enough. "Time for bed." he told her.
"No." she argued and promptly sat back on the couch.
"Yes." he countered. Then when she ignored him, he grabbed the remote and turned the tv off. "Bed time."
Instantly she glared at him once more. "I don't have to do what you say!" she shouted.
He stood up and angrily towered over her. "This is my house and you will do as I say! Now get ready for bed!"
She glared up at him as she swallowed before looking away. Then while stomping her feet, she went over to one of her bags in the corner. She opened it and dug around for bit before pulling out a nightgown. She started to head towards the bathroom when she abruptly stopped. She quickly went back and grabbed the lunchbox off of the floor. Holding it tightly to her chest once more, she glared at him before stomping away. The bathroom door closed with a loud thud and Himchan gritted his teeth.
A few minutes later, she entered the living room and went over to her bags. She deposited her dirty clothes on the floor next to them before turning to face him while clutching the lunchbox still.
"What about brushing your teeth?" he asked her.
"I don't have one." she told him and continued to stare at him.
He raised an eyebrow at her before he shook his head. "Fine, whatever. Go to bed."
Then he watched as she raised her eyebrow, mimicking him exactly. The movement caused him to stare at her in surprise. Almost as if he was looking in to a strange mirror.
"Where?"
The question made his brain finally click as he tore his gaze from her. "Uh..." He groaned and remembered that he only had one bedroom. "I guess in my room." he answered and stood up.
He entered the kitchen area, walked around the corner, and down the small hallway towards the bedroom. As he pulled out his own pyjamas out of the dresser, he heard her climb on to his bed. He turned and watched as she snuggled under the blanket with her lunchbox next to her.
"Are you really going to sleep with that?" he questioned.
She made a point of fluffing the pillow before wrapping an arm around the metal lunchbox. Also making a point of ignoring him.
He let out an audible groan of frustration as he rolled his eyes. Letting it go, he grabbed the extra pillow off the bed and went to the doorway. "Night." he said as he turned off the light and started to close the door.
"No!" she suddenly yelled as she sat up real fast.
He stopped and gave her a questioning look.
"It's dark." she whined while staring at him with wide eyes.
"You ignored me all day and then you yelled at me." he retorted in a spiteful tone.
Again she was silent but the sad look in her eyes and the way her shoulders drooped spoke for her. She looked down a that the blanket as her fingers fiddled with it.
Himchan bit his bottom lip in thought before pushing the door all the way open. He took a few steps down the hall and switched on the bathroom light. Then he went to the kitchen and turned its light off before making his way back to the bedroom. A small bit of light from the bathroom lit the bedroom so it wasn't as dark.
"Is that better?" he asked her.
She eagerly nodded her head before settling back in to the bed. She rolled on her side and held on to the metal lunchbox as she closed her eyes.

Himchan stood there and watched her for a bit. Then with a small sigh, he silently headed to the living room. He set his pyjamas on the coffee table and the pillow on the couch before dropping down next to it. One day and he was already exhausted. Not to mention emotionally drained.
He eyed the stack of papers on the table still but couldn't bring himself to go through them again. Instead he reached for the remote and finally switched the channel to watch something else besides cartoons. He made sure to turn the volume down as well so the noise wouldn't disturb her.
Leaning back, he tried to focus on the show on the screen but his mind kept wandering on its own. All these years and not a single word from her. Not even a letter informing him that they had a daughter together. He toyed with several possible reasons why she kept Micha from him but each one didn't seem likely. Perhaps he may never know the reason.
He looked at the papers again before leaning forward and stuffing them back in the folder. Standing up, he took the folder to the bookcase and found a spot for it. Out of sight and out of mind.
He sat back down on the couch and mindlessly watched tv for a while. When he realized he couldn't follow along with what was happening in the show because he wasn't paying attention, he finally just turned the television off.
Looking around the room, his gaze landed on the pile of clothes she had left on the floor by her bags. He went over to the corner and knelt down to fold them up. He set them in a neat pile off to the side and started to stand up when something caught his eye. He reached in to the open bag full of her clothes and pulled out a small bag. He ped it before taking a look inside. There was a toothbrush and toothpaste.
"You have got to be kidding me." he groaned as he closed his eyes.
He zipped the small bag closed once more and dropped it on to her clothes. Then he went over to the coffee table and scooped up his pyjamas. As he made his way to the bathroom, he peeked into the bedroom to make sure she was completely asleep before closing the door. He took a quick, hot shower and brushed his teeth.
When he was finished, he gathered up his dirty clothes and opened the bathroom door. He reached for the light switch but stopped. If she woke up during the night, the last thing he needed was to hear her scream again because she was scared.
Stepping out into the hallway, he saw that she was still sleeping. He tip-toed into the bedroom and over to his hamper as quietly as he could to put his clothes in it. He didn't even dare let out the breath he was holding until he was back in the hall.
One last glance at her sleeping form and then he went back to the living room. He turned off the light before laying on the couch and drifting off in to restless sleep.