Chapter 6

Beauty's Daughter

They arrived back at the apartment and Himchan put the groceries away, making Micha wait as she begged for juice so she could drink out of her new cup. Then she happily sat at the table and sipped at the juice through the straw.
In fact, the rest of the day went pleasantly well. She had a few disgruntled fits but they never escalated past that. Lunch even went by smoothly since she was finally able to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
When it was almost time for dinner, there was a slight argument over the food but Himchan set his foot down. "You can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or chicken nuggets for lunch. For dinner, you are eating a hot, cooked meal."
She pouted and begrudgingly relented. Then her mood improved slightly when he let her choose between two different meals.
Himchan smiled at himself over that tactic. She may not have actually gotten her way but by letting her choose between things he picked, it makes it seem like she got her way.
As he was pulling out the ingredients for the meal, his phone rang and the name on the screen made his smile grown bigger. "Hey." he greeted when he answered.
"Hello. How did things go today?" Yunseo inquired.
"Surprisingly not bad." he told her. "Today was less of a headache than normal."
Yunseo giggled at that comment. "Well that's good."
"Why don't you come over for dinner?" he offered, hoping she would say yes.
"Are you sure?" she asked.
The question surprised and confused him. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" he asked. Then he his lips. "I missed you today."
"I missed you too." she stated. "Alright. I'll be there in a bit after I finish up here at work."
"Great. I'll see you later." he said. Then he made a kissing noise in to the phone before hearing her laugh.
When he hung up, he noticed Micha standing in the kitchen and curiously looking at him.
"Uh... hey." he said and then flashed a smile. "You remember that lady from yesterday? Well her name is Yunseo and she's going to be joining us for dinner."
She blinked up at him a few times before tilting her head to the side. "Is she your girlfriend?"
Hearing that kind of question from her shocked him. Wasn't she too young to know about that kind of stuff? "Uh... Well... Um... Yes." he stammered, not sure how to explain it. Then an idea formed in his head. "Just like how your mommy had a boyfriend."
She shook her head though. "Mommy doesn't have a boyfriend."
"Oh." he uttered, unsure on how to respond to that. "So much for that idea." he thought. "Well..."
"Can I watch cartoons?" she asked, interrupting him.
"Uh... yeah." he replied and went to the living room. He turned the television on and watched as she settled on the floor with a couple of toys. She seemed perfectly content so he dismissed having to explain anything to her and went back to the kitchen to start cooking.

There was a knock on the door just as Himchan turned the stove off. Smiling, he hurried across the living room and opened the front door.
"Am I late?" Yunseo asked as stepped in to the apartment.
"Right on time." he told her and lightly pecked her cheek.
She giggled and gave him a quick kiss on the lips in return. Then they turned and both noticed the little girl watching them.
"Uh..." Himchan started before forcing a smile on his face. "Micha, this is Yunseo."
"Hi Micha." his girlfriend greeted with a smile on her face as well.
Micha didn't say anything though, pressing her lips tightly together instead.
"Micha, don't be rude. Say hello." Himchan instructed her.
"It's okay." Yunseo quickly asserted. "She's just being shy. Let's eat."
The three of them sat at the table with Micha still being unusually quiet. Himchan eyed her suspiciously but didn't say anything. Instead, he concentrated on carrying a conversation with Yunseo. They talked about a new project she was starting at work and he offered her some ideas to help her.
Halfway through the meal and Yunseo finally turned to the little girl. "So Micha, how old are you?"
The little girl however stared down at her food, ignoring the question.
He furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance. "Micha, stop being so rude."
"It's okay." Yunseo once again interceded. "It's fine."
"No it's not." he insists, keeping his eyes on Micha. "Answer the question."
The girl took a big bite of her food and then pointed at , indicating that she couldn't talk because of having a full mouth.
"You have to be kidding me." he mumbles in frustration. Then he turns to Yunseo with an apologetic look, "Sorry. I really don't understand why she behaves like this all the time."
Yunseo reached over and ran her hand over his arm. "It's okay. Really." she told him with a smile.
He took her hand in his, squeezing it gratefully for her understanding. They shared a smile before returning to their meals. The two adults kept conversation again, bringing up various topics. Much sooner than Himchan wanted, they finished eating and Yunseo said she had to leave.
"I have to go in early." she explained to him and set her dish in the sink.
"I know. I just wish you didn't have to leave so soon." he lamented.
She smirked knowingly at him. "I hope you're not getting any ideas."
A small smirk formed on his face. "Have I told you how beautiful and intelligent you are today?"
She rolled her eyes. "That's exactly what I meant."
"You like it and you know it." he replied mischievously.
She tsked him which only made him smile more. As he went to walk her out, Yunseo stopped at the table where Micha was playing with the remainder of her food. "It was nice meeting you Micha." she politely said.
The little girl poked at her food and stayed silent, annoying Himchan even more as he stifled a growl of frustration.
Yunseo merely smiled though and grabbed his hand, pulling him with her as she made her way to the door.
"I really am sorry about her." he said as he opened the door for her.
"It's okay. With the way you were yesterday, I figured she's being quite a handful." she replied. She shrugged her shoulders. "And you both are still alive so you must not be doing to bad."
He lightly chuckled at that. "Yeah. Soon enough she'll be with her grandparents. Just have to last until then."
"I'm sure you can make it that long." she agreed before kissing his cheek.
As she stepped out of the apartment though, Himchan quickly followed her in to the hall and grabbed her. Before she could say anything, he pushed her against the wall and kissed her deeply.
A muffled moan came from her before she broke off the kiss. "Himchan, stop." she chided.
"You're beautiful." he proclaimed, keeping her in his arms.
She blushed slightly at his words. "Flattery will get you nowhere." she stated but she didn't stop him from kissing her again.
When she didn't fight him again, he couldn't help but smirk a bit. He eagerly kissed her while she ran her hands through his hair until they finally broke apart to gasp for air.
"Okay, you really need to stop now." Yunseo declared as she took a deep breath.
"And why is that?" he questioned with another smirk as his hands slid down her sides to her hips.
She bit her bottom lip and ran her hands down his chest. "As much as I need you, you have someone that needs you more and takes priority."
He remembered the little girl inside his apartment and sighed. "This is only temporary."
"I know it is." she assured him with a smile. "Things will be back to normal soon. Just wait until then."
His gaze traveled down her body and he his lips. "I'll try."
She scoffed before laughing at him. Then another quick kiss and she walked away.

Himchan went back into the apartment and closed the door. As he walked across the living room, he noticed Micha still sitting at the table and playing with her food.
"Stop that and eat." he told her and headed to the kitchen to do the dishes.
"I'm done." she said and pushed her plate away.
He raised his eyebrow at her and went back to the table "Eat." he ordered and put the plate in front of her.
"No!" she suddenly yelled and swung her arm. It hit the plate and sent it flying off of the table. Food covered the floor and the dish broke in to two.
He stared down at the mess in shock before snapping his head up to glare at her. "Why did you do that?!" he angrily demanded.
Without answering him, she got off the chair and stomped away to the living room.
"Hey!" he shouted and quickly followed her. He grabbed her arm and forced her to face him. "You do not walk away from me when I am talking to you! Now answer my question."
"Leave me alone!" she yelled and smacked his arm.
That shocked him as well as his mouth dropped open. It also made him angrier. "What is wrong with you?!"
She reached down and grabbed one of her toys off of the floor. Then she threw the toy at him with all her might and it hit him in the stomach. "I hate you!"
That was the last straw and he completely snapped. "Good! I don't care cause if you were actually my daughter, you wouldn't be like this!!"
She picked up another toy and with a yell, she threw it at him as well. Then she stomped her foot on the floor and balled up her fist. A couple of tears leaked from her eyes as she squeezed them shut and opened . "I WANT MY MOMMY!!" she screamed as loud as she could.
Her high-pitched scream hurt his ears, aggravating him. He was sick and tired of listening to that scream. "She's dead!" he yelled in spite.
Suddenly Micha stopped screaming and let out a gasp as she took a step back.
He felt his body go numb, all anger completely gone as he realized what he said and he stared down at her. Then he watched as her wide eyes watered even more and her bottom lip quivered.
"Micha..." he quietly uttered, not sure what to say.
He didn't have time to think about it though. Micha let out a loud, painful sob as she ran past him and around the corner.
"Micha!" he called out and went after her.
She bolted down the small hallway to the bedroom and slammed the door shut. He stopped and gaped at the door, completely at a lost as to what to do.
He stood there for a couple of minutes and then with a heavy sigh, he turned away and surveyed the mess that was still on the floor. Instead of cleaning it up, he let his body fall in to the dining chair. With his knees resting on his legs, he put his head in his hands and felt guilt wash through him. "Way to up Himchan."