Chapter 8

Beauty's Daughter

The rest of the night dragged on until the last picture was finally done. Then Himchan politely bowed and thanked everyone for their hard work before going to the changing room. As soon as he walked through the doorway, he looked everywhere until he spotted Micha laying on the couch and fast asleep. He let out a little breath he hadn't realized he was holding.
"She's fine." the makeup artist informed him with a smile as she finished putting her stuff away. "She fell asleep about twenty minutes ago. Go ahead and change real fast."
He nodded his head as he eyed Micha one last time before disappearing into the changing room. He put his clothes back on before picking up the company's clothes and walking back into the room.
"I really appreciate your help and I hope she wasn't too much trouble." Himchan offered as he put the clothes away.
"She was golden and I don't mind." she told him and closed her case. Then she gave him a knowing look. "You've been having problems with her haven't you?"
He stared at her in surprise before sighing. "Is it that obvious?"
"Yes." she said with a little giggle and looked at Micha. "It's amazing how they look like little angels when they're sleeping. Even if they're little devils when they're awake."
A thought crossed Himchan's mind and he turned to the woman. "Do you have kids?"
"Yep, two boys." she answered. "Which means a lot of times I feel more like a referee than a mother."
He raised an eyebrow at her. "That bad?"
"Sometimes." she said with a shrug and glanced over at Micha. "Let me guess, mood swings and temper tantrums."
"That's putting it lightly." he groaned, earning another giggle from her. "Is that normal?" he asked.
"Yes actually." she told him. "Especially since she's just meeting you. Children always push the boundaries to see how much they can get away with. Testing the waters so to speak." She lifted her makeup bag and shrugged the strap over her shoulder. "I'm sure with her it's even worse though."
"What do you mean?" he asked her, genuinely curious.
She walked over to him and sighed as she looked down at Micha. "One of the hardest parts of life is learning how to deal with difficult things. Even most adults don't know how to. With children, it's worse. They don't think about creating an outlet so they don't know what to do. They don't understand what's happening. All they know is that it hurts."
Himchan knew what she was hinting at. He thought back to the previous night when Micha was screaming for her mother. As he stared down at her and remembered all their fights, it was like he was seeing her in a whole new light.
"I don't even want to imagine what my boys would be going through if anything happened to me." she continued. Then she faced him and flashed him a smile. "As a fellow parent, I'll let you in on a parenting secret."
"Please do cause I swear I'm losing my mind." he said, smiling as well.
She choked back a laugh as she nodded her head. "The secret is, nobody knows what they're doing. You can read all the parenting books and take all the classes but they don't always prepare you for when you have to deal with the real thing. Sometimes those techniques don't even work." she informed him. "Just do the best you can."
"That's it?" he amusingly questioned. "No hidden off switch?"
"Oh I wish." she agreed and patted his arm. "Take her home Himchan. I'll see you at the next job." she said and went to leave the room.
"Yeah. And thanks." he added. "For everything."
Himchan stared down at Micha before he quickly turned away. "Hey." he called, causing her to stop and turn to him. "Be safe going home."
A small smile of understanding formed on her face as she glanced at Micha and then back at him. "You too." she replied and then left.
He stepped closer to the couch and examined the sleeping girl on it. Reaching down, he carefully pushed back some of her hair off of her face. Micha stirred slightly before falling back asleep.
With a sigh, he knew what he had to do. "Sorry for waking you." he whispered before crouching down. "Come on Micha." he said in a louder voice as he sat her up.
She whined in protest and rubbed her face before trying to lay down on the couch again. Himchan kept a hold of her though and pulled her towards him. She seemed to have gotten the hint as she scooted closer and threw her arms around him. He held on to her as he stood up and she laid her head on his shoulder.
He lightly rubbed her back as he listened to her breathing. Her breaths with even as if she had fallen back asleep. He carefully walked though the building, trying to not jostle her. When some of the crew waved at him, he only smiled and nodded his head at them. He didn't want to let even one hand let go of her in case she fell.
When he reached the car, he placed her on the backseat as carefully as he could. Then he quickly buckled her seat belt as she sniffled and rubbed her face again. He closed the back door before getting in the driver's seat. He turned to look at her and saw as she leaned against the door before falling asleep again.
Heeding the good advice, he carefully drove home. The last thing he wanted was for Micha to go through losing two parents.

Himchan pulled her out of the car and she rested her head on his shoulder again. He carried her to the apartment. Outside the door, he fumbled with the keys as he tried to unlock it.
"Hey."
Startled, he dropped the keys and caused Micha to stir a little.
"Oh. Sorry." Yunseo quickly apologized as she picked up his keys.
"It's fine." he assured her and patted Micha's back. "I didn't hear you. What are you doing here?"
"I thought I could drop by and just see you for a couple of minutes." she explained. "Here." She stepped in front of the door and unlocked it. Then she opened it and moved aside for him.
"Thanks." he said and carried Micha into the apartment. "Let me just put her in bed."
"Okay." replied Yunseo as she quietly closed the door.
He made it halfway across the living room when he stopped and turned back around. "Will you bring that lunchbox there on the floor?"
She looked at him in surprise before glancing down at it. "Really?" she questioned as she picked it up.
"Yep." he answered. "Kids are weird apparently."
She smiled and lightly chuckled as she followed him to the bedroom. He carefully laid Micha in the bed and took the lunchbox from Yunseo. He laid it next to the sleeping girl before covering her with the blanket.
When the left the room, Himchan made sure the bathroom light was on as her nightlight and then they continued to the living room.
"Long day at work?" she asked.
"Yeah." he replied. Then he smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Much better now though."
"You and your flattery." she playfully scolded.
He responded by kissing her lips. "How about you stay for a bit? She is asleep after all. I'll make some popcorn and we could watch a movie." he offered.
She gave him a suspicious look before smiling. "That sounds nice."

While he got the popcorn, Yunseo picked out a movie. Then they cuddled on the couch in the dark. It felt so good to finally relax that Himchan wished the moment never ended. He spent extra time brushing Yunseo's arm with his hand and smelling the scent of her hair.
"Honestly Himchan. You act as if you haven't seen me in weeks." she chided.
"Can I help it if I can't get enough of you?" he inquired. "Besides, this whole week has been odd. It feels like a year has past and at the same time, it seems like it's all been one day."
She shifted her body to face him more and gave him an understanding look. "These past few days must have been so rough on you."
"You have no idea." he stated. Then he remembered the events of last night and yet another way of guilt washed through him.
It must have showed on his face because her eyes instantly showed that she was worried about him. Then a tiny smirk formed on her face. "How about I make you feel better?"
The offer caused him to smirk too as he leaned closer to her. "That sounds wonderful."
Their lips connected and he felt his heart flutter. He reached up with one hand to cup her face as he eagerly kissed her. After a few moments, he her lips and when she parted them, he quickly forced his tongue in to .
She let out a quiet moan before breaking away and gasping for air. "Feeling better?" she breathlessly asked.
"Only when you don't stop." he answered before quickly capturing her lips again. His hand left her face to squeeze her hip and pull her towards him, wanting to feel her body press up against his as much as possible.
She didn't fight him when his lips left hers and he kissed along her jaw. When he reached her neck, he lightly the skin and drew a sigh of content from her. Then she jumped and roughly pushed him away.
"Wha..." he uttered, shocked from her behavior. Then he noticed how red her face was as she scooted a little away from him. He quickly spun around and saw Micha standing at the end of the couch. "Mi-Micha." he stuttered, feeling his face grow hot from embarrassment.
"I had a bad dream." she meekly said and clutched her lunchbox to her chest.
"Oh... Uh..." He was a bit at a lost, his mind still fogged from the make-out session with Yunseo. "Well... It was just a dream." he told her. "So it's okay. Just go back to bed." Then his eyes widened in surprise as he watched the girl start crying in front of him.
"I should go." Yunseo said as she quickly stood up and headed to the door.
"Wait!" he called out to her as he glanced between her and Micha. Then he got up and hurried after his girlfriend.
Yunseo opened the door and turned to face him just as he grabbed her arm. By the look on her face, it was clear she wasn't happen about the turn of events.
"I'm sorry." he sincerely told her. "This... It's only temporary."
"I know Himchan. I really do." she insisted with a sigh. "Just..." She swallowed and nodded her head. "Right now she needs to be your top priority. So take care of her and then call me when it's not temporary anymore."
He wanted to argue with her about that as his heart sunk but he knew she was right. As much as he hated to admit. "Alright." he conceded. "But you can call me and text me anytime."
She smiled at him and placed a hand on his chest. "I know. Now go take care of her." A quick peck on the cheek and then she walked out the door.
Himchan closed the door with a heavy sigh and leaned his forehead against it. Then he heard a small sob and he turned to look at Micha. She was still standing there and crying. "Oh Micha." he said and quickly went to her. "It really was just a dream. There's nothing to be scared about."
It seemed to only provide a tiny amount of relief as she sniffled but he could still see the fear in her eyes.
"You want me to lay with you for a bit?" he asked.
She eagerly nodded her head and then he ushered her to the bedroom. He tucked her back under the blanket before going around and climbing on the other side of the bed. He made himself comfortable in order to wait for her to fall asleep. He wasn't prepared for her scooting closer to him though and he jumped in surprise.
He looked down as she cuddled close to his chest and a couple of tears spilled form her eyes. "Uh... There, there." he said and lightly patted her back. What are you suppose to say to a child in this situation?
"They don't understand. All they know is that it hurts."
The last thing he wanted was to ask her what her dream was about. He wasn't sure if he wanted to know the answer. Instead, he wrapped his arm around her and held her tightly. "I won't let anything hurt you."