6

Taking His Time

Chanyeol caressed Baekhyun's damp hair as he sat on the edge of his bed. He took the wet towel out of Baekhyun's hands and ruffled it on his head for him. They giggled in unison. 

"Hurry, let's do our homework now." Baekhyun stood up from the bed, and grabbed the towel out of Chanyeol's hands, their finger tips slightly touching each other's. 

He gathered their textbooks on his desk, a smile forming on his face, as he felt Chanyeol's arms reach around his waist from behind. Chanyeol placed his chin on the smaller boy's head and held him close, their bodies stuck together. He leaned in near his face and pecked the tip of ear. 

"Yaaa, Chanyeollie. Appa is coming home soon," he turned around, Chanyeol's arms still locked around his waist.

Chanyeol brought his arms up, around Baekhyun's shoulders and locked him in. Baekhyun kept showing small silly restraints, but kept still. 

"Park Chanyeol." They finally let go of their embrace and Chanyeol stole the textbooks off his arms before they walked out of his bedroom. 

As they raced each other down a series of staircases, they bumped into maids and vases before they came to a stop in Baekhyun's library. They separated in different corners of the room, skimming through books, casually stealing glances at each other. 

"Baekhyunah..." Chanyeol was doodling in his notebook, unable to focus on his work. 

Instead, he was staring at Baekhyun who was fully immersed, studying away. He sighed and decided to give the math questions another try. He reread the question over and over again until the numbers began to mix in his head. 

Baekhyun burst into quiet chuckles, glancing at Chanyeol. 

"Ya. Are you making fun of me, Mr. Genius?" Chanyeol reached out to tickle his waist. 

"You've been staring at that question for almost ten minutes," he laughed, slapping Chanyeol's attacking tickles away. 

The wooden door of the library began to creak open, and automatically, the two boys shot up from their desks and bowed to Baekhyun's father, who came in with his arms crossed. 

"Annyeonghaseyo Mr. Byun." Chanyeol said before Baekhyun could. They nervously glanced at each other and tried to look into Mr. Byun's eyes. 

"Your friend," Mr. Byun began to walk towards the boys, "Has been coming over quite often." 

"Appa, he's in..all of my classes."

"And so?"

"We work together. We study together-"

"Everyday?"

"He's my friend, appa. You can't stop me from making my own friends now." 

-

Luhan whimpered as he began to wake, feeling shots of pain around his waist. He felt hands help him up to sit on a stiff bed he was laying on. The blurred faces began to clear up, and Luhan saw Lay and Minseok by his side. Across the bed, were the rest of the boys who were sitting on the couch in pyjamas, squished together, uninterested. Lay pat his back and helped him drink water from a plastic cup, but refused it. Minseok continued to fix the pillows by his head, when the door slammed open. Sehun ran to the side of the bed, tripping over his long pyjama pants, and pushed Lay aside. 

"It was traffic outside. What happened?" Sehun pushed the plastic cup against Luhan's lip. 

"I was gonna ask the same question," he grumbled, refusing the water still.

"You just mildly sprained your hip, and you had alcohol poisoning, which is why you passed out. I found you in your apartment a few hours ago." Minseok said, walking to the couch to sit with the rest of the boys.  

"You're lucky the doctor was my aunt. You'd be in ..well we'd all be in if they found out we were drinking underage," Jongin added. 

A rush of memories began to fill his mind. The stranger who broke into his house, their chasing moment, everything. That was the reason he passed out. From overwhelming fear.

"Why were you in his apartment?" Sehun asked Minseok as he pulled up a chair beside the bed. 

"I went to check up on him, I heard he wasn't feeling good."

"But I already took him home. I took care of him." Awkward silence began to fill the air.

"I know, I just- never mind.  At least I found him, right?" 

"Yeah, I guess." Sehun rolled his eyes and turned to Luhan, grabbing his hand and holding it tightly. Minseok stood up and went out to call the nurse to ask if they could discharge him. 

"Thank you," Luhan attempted to make eye contact with each of them, gazing into Minseok's last, "But you guys really didn't have to take me here, and be here." All the boys smiled and reassured that they wanted to be there, and stood up to meet Minseok who came in pushing a wheelchair in. 

"You're really dumb. You think we want  to be here?" Kris scoffed at the door. Joonmyeon slapped his arm while walking out. 

"We're happy to be here. But, try not to be so clumsy all the time," Joonmyeon said at the door, leaning on Kris. Luhan nodded as Sehun carried him from the bed to the wheel chair. 

"Sehun, I think I can walk now-"

"The nurse said he could." Minseok piped in, hopping on the sofa with Lay, Kyungsoo, and Jongin. Sehun didn't stop walking until he sat Luhan down on the wheelchair by the door. He shot a look behind him at Minseok,

"Well if you hadn't left him during the party, he wouldn't be here right now, would he?"

"Oh, so you're blaming me?"

"Who brought him to the party?" 

"Well who found him?"

Sehun let go of the wheelchair handles and began to walk over to Minseok who stood up from the sofa in unison. Lay and Jongin shot up and held back the boys who were flailing their arms at eachother. Chuckles began to follow after scoffs that came from the door. 

"You guys!" Luhan tried to turn the wheelchair around to face the fighting boys, but groaned as an unfamiliar stabbing pain came from the bandage around his waist. 

The boys hushed down, and Minseok began to walk towards Luhan, but Sehun, being closer to him, turned around and rushed down beside the wheelchair.

"So immature." Kris scoffed from the door as he walked out with Tao, Joonmyeon and Jongdae trailing behind them. 

Kyungsoo and Jongin walked over to Sehun who was frozen on his spot beside Luhan, stood him up, and walked him out, leaving Luhan behind. Following them was Baekhyun who's arms was hooked around Minseok's, with Chanyeol following them who was holding Luhan's bag.

Luhan felt guilty. He was the reason why the two first friends he had made, almost fought. He didn't want to cry. He had already made a fool of himself in their eyes, numerous times. The pain that numbed his body was immeasurable to the guilt he felt. He shut his eyes close and wished for it all to go away. 

"Cheer up," a sweet voice behind him whispered. Lay pat his head teasingly, and placed a teddy bear on his lap. He lightly pinched his right cheek, and pushed the wheelchair out of the hospital room.

-

"So, you're excused for one day from classes. But, since it was mild accident, you can come back tomorrow- that is, if you're okay," Minseok helped Luhan out of the wheelchair, into his bed. 

"I'll come back tomorrow. It hasn't even been a week of school, and I've already messed myself up." Luhan sighed, allowing Minseok to tuck him in. 

"None of this was your fault," Minseok sat on the edge of the bed and fidgeted on the linen of the comforter, "Sehun was right. You were my responsibility. I didn't know how well you could hold your drink, and I just kind of left you." He was turned away from Luhan, still picking on the linen. 

"No, don't blame yourself Minseok. It was nobody's fault but mine. My clumsiness..." Minseok turned to face Luhan now, his smile brightening up his mood. 

"You clumsiness could kill you," Minseok joked, and the boys were now laughing.

 But in the corner of Luhan's eyes, he saw a shadow growing bigger as it walked forward by the door. Luhan's laugh deteriorated, and he tried not to distract Minseok, no not again, please... but his facial expression was in too much shock that Minseok had to turn around to see why Luhan grew quiet and what he was staring at. 

"Who's there?" Minseok called lightly. 

The shadow came to a stop right at the door. 

"So, can we leave you two now? Chanyeol called saying Sehun won't stop crying at school," Lay's head popped through the door, Kyungsoo and Jongin behind him. 

"Sehun is hard to care for." Kyungsoo added. 

Minseok's head turned around to Luhan who was now relaxed, and breathing properly. A sense of fear that surrounded him still lingered.  

"Yeah.." Minseok got up from the bed and pulled in Luhan's wheelchair, "Yeah, I'll take care of him. I probably won't come to school today either." Lay, Kyungsoo and Jongin nodded, and waved the two goodbye. 

Minseok positioned the wheelchair by the bed and sat on it, leaning into Luhan, who was silent. 

"Are you okay?" Minseok asked. Luhan nodded, looking away from him. 

"Luhan, if there's something going on you ha-"

"Everything's fine Minseok." 

He nodded, and slowly got up. "I'll go get you some food." Luhan reached out and grabbed hold of Minseok's arm before he could walk a step. 

"Please stay beside me." Luhan whispered, almost begging. Minseok turned to the boy who's eyes were filled with fright. He climbed into the bed beside Luhan who moved over and lay his head on his chest, falling asleep as soon as he did. 

Minseok knew something was up. Something was definitely bothering Luhan. He didn't want to ask, but he didn't want to let it bother him either. He closed his eyes and fell asleep as well.

-

"Kris, how many times did I tell you not to  up?!" Joonmyeon yelled in their room at the school, the rest of the boys huddled in the lounge, silent. His voice echoed in the room, the walls shaking.

"He was an annoying little brat that couldn't get the message that I didn't want him in the group," Kris replied, his arms crossed, unable to look into Joonmyeon's flaring eyes. 

"Well that doesn't give you an excuse to stab him! The beating was enough, but stabbing? You almost killed him." Jongdae walked over to his boyfriend, and sat him down at the edge of he sofa, calming him down. 

"This will be the last time Kris. No more non-invites and no more beating up people for fun- I don't care what you say," Joonmyeon added before Kris could reason out again. 

"God, we don't even know who he was," Jongin said, his eyes puffy from crying last night. Kyungsoo brought pulled him in to his shoulder, and let him cry his trauma off. 

"Atleast he didn't die," said Kris who uncrossed his arms and vigorously wiped his faced, stressed.

"Atleast we saved him in time." Kyungsoo glared from across the sofa, comforting his best friend who was inconsolable. 

 

Hey, I hope this chapter wasn't too rushed. I realized I was taking everything a little bit too slow. Don't kill me for not updating in almost a week :( I will update again tomorrow or even tonight, I promise. Thank you for reading.