Heroes Come in All Powers

Love will be love

Prompt #20: superheroes au

Words: 3240

Jesus christ. I didn't know how to do this prompt right.

They're in an academy...think Xmen type of thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daehyun was reading his humanities book when he felt a twinge in his chest. His body immediately generated energy at the lack of it close to him. Daehyun set his book down on the bench and looked for the source lacking any life. Clearly someone would have noticed a corpse somewhere.

 

"Daehyun, what's wrong?" Youngjae, his best friend, asked next to him. Daehyun felt his body grow warm and tingle with energy, he was probably even glowing slightly. "Oh. Where? Who?" Youngjae asked worriedly as he saw Daehyun glow softly blue-white. "I don't know...why isn't anyone panicking? Maybe they haven't found the body?" Daehyun answered. Youngjae closed his eyes and Daehyun felt his energy disperse across the room, glimpsing at people's mind to find out what was going on. Daehyun saw Youngjae snap his eyes open and stare at him.

 

"Oh my god, Daehyun", Youngjae gasped as he stood up and walked down the bleachers. Daehyun followed him, what if it was someone they knew? Should he use his powers or let it be? Could he just let it go if it was someone he cared about? Would it be right to just leave someone dead if he could change that? Curse all of the ethics surrounding his power and his consciousness of them because it makes everything so much more difficult.

 

Youngjae reached for his arm to guide him easier through the crowded gym but Daehyun moved out of the way. With the amount of energy coursing through his body right now he would send Youngjae into shock if they touched. Daehyun send Youngjae an apologetic glance and Youngjae smiled knowingly. "Right, I forgot", Youngjae murmured. Daehyun stared amazed at the admittance, whatever Youngjae had discovered clearly had thrown the telepathic off.

 

Youngjae rushed through the people and to the exit of the gym. The tingling around Daehyun's body becoming a loud hum, it was almost painful. They bursted through the doors into the brightly sunlit yard of their academy. Under a tree Zelo and Himchan sat with a new person they hadn't seen before. Despite the heat, the newcomer was wearing a white, long sleeved turtleneck, gloves on his hands, and jeans.

 

What was more disconcerting to Daehyun was the complete lack of energy that the newcomer was not emitting. How was he alive? Was someone animating his corpse? That was sick. "Wow, wow", Youngjae whispered with awe. Youngjae moved forward towards the other three but Daehyun tugged on the edge of his shirt, holding him back. "What is it, Daehyun?" Youngjae asked over his shoulder. "He's not alive..." Daehyun trailed off. The newcomer had started to smile, growing into a grin, and then laughing wholeheartedly. The sound was filled with amusement, happiness...and life.

 

"Come, we should see this", Youngjae said excited. Daehyun let himself be pulled along, staring at the new boy all the time. The void of energy he lacked was making Daehyun's body hum louder and louder but his smile making his heart beat harder and faster. What was he?

 

He saw Youngjae smile as he looked at Zelo's grin, the younger's laugh sounding like wind chimes, alluring and contagious. Himchan, opposite of Zelo, growing flower after flower where he sat, surrounding all three of them in a ring of petals.

 

"Hello", Youngjae said softly. The three boys looked up in surprise. Zelo was the first to smile and greet them as Himchan waved gracefully, Daehyun staring at the new person all the while. "Took you long enough to find us, Youngjae", Himchan said lightly. "What do you mean?" Youngjae asked surprised. "This is Jongup", Zelo said motioning at the boy in between him and Himchan. "And we know you're here cause of him", Himchan continued after the small introduction. Youngjae flushed pink but nodded. "Yeah, I just couldn't, you know, help it. Daehyun's power is rare, almost unheard of, and now Jongup", Youngjae explained with barely contained giddiness. 

 

Daehyun felt Youngjae's energy reach slightly forward. "I wouldn't if I were you", Jongup said lightly. "Oh, why not?" Youngjae asked curiously. Jongup smiled ruefully and took off a glove and reached for one of Himchan's flowers. The flower wilted and dried up as soon as Jongup's fingertip touched it. Daehyun gasped and tugged Youngjae backwards with him.

 

"What are you? Some sort of leech?" Daehyun exclaimed outraged. Jongup had out the energy, the life, out of that flower with a simple touch. "I- I was just showing Youngjae why he shouldn't try to read my power. It would hurt him", Jongup explained through gritted teeth. "You could've just told him", Daehyun snapped at him. Jongup opened his mouth and snapped it shut. "If he was trying to mind walk into my brain I'm sure he wanted -wants- to see how it works", Jongup replied as he stood up and shoved the glove back on. Daehyun pulled Youngjae closer to him as he moved them back farther away from Jongup.

 

"Daehyun, stop. He's right. If he had simply said it would hurt me I would have asked for a demonstration", Youngjae said as he moved away from him and walked closer to Jongup. "Also, don't talk like that to Jongup, please", Himchan added as he and Zelo stood up. "So I am the only one who saw him kill that flower?" Daehyun scoffed. "It was going to die someday, Daehyun", Zelo said softly. Daehyun could feel Zelo's energy reach out to him, probably to calm him down. "Don't you dare manipulate my emotions, Junhong", Daehyun hissed harshly. "Well, then calm down", Youngjae said kindly. Daehyun snapped his gaze to Youngjae and realized that Youngjae was the one who suggested Zelo to calm him down.

 

"Oh. Okay. Great. Now I'm the bad guy. When you guys are dying cause he touched you, don't come looking for me", Daehyun spat as he stormed off.

 

"I'm sorry about him, Jongup", Youngjae said quietly as they stared at Daehyun's retreating form. "It's fine. I feel the same aversion towards him as he does towards me", Jongup replied softly. "What do you mean?" Zelo inquired after Jongup didnt offer an explanation. "He is energy, he is life. The amount of energy he was containing was great. Just as he thinks I shouldn't be able to take away life, I think he shouldn't be able to give life when something has already ran its course", Jongup explained as he clearly could.

 

"But you two are personifications of life and death. Of the cycle that is life", Youngjae sputtered at Jongup's explanation. "Maybe you're right", Jongup conceded with a shrug, "but it's different points of view. He understands life and I understand death. I also bet people see his power as a gift while most will see mine as a curse. I know. I understand". The rest of the boys looked at Jongup with sympathy. And Jongup could feel Zelo's need to comfort him so he placed a gloved hand on his shoulder, it was fine.

 

"You can- you can touch other people?" Youngjae asked hesitantly. Jongup gave a rueful smile and nodded. "Yes, as long as it isn't skin to skin contact or energy forms", Jongup explained. Youngjae furrowed his brows in confusion. "Oh. That's why you wouldn't let me into your mind? Life energy? I'm not good at this life energy waves whatever", Youngjae shrugged as he made the other chuckle. "It's difficult and complicated and just plain weird", Jongup agreed with a friendly smile.

 

Youngjae was alright.

 

+

 

Jongup chewed on his bottom lip nervously. Himchan and Professor Bang were in the gym with him. He's a week into the academy and he is supposed to be training. Except he isn't because he doesn't want to hurt them by accident. Himchan covered a ten feet radius around Jongup with flowers and shrubs and he is supposed to project his deadly power. But he can't bring himself to do it. He really is a blackhole when it comes to energy source, he will take and take and take and give nothing in return. He doesn't know how to stop it, he can't. Which is why he's always completely covered in case he, or someone, makes contact by accident so that they won't get hurt.

 

To project his power, to create a field force that will kill instantly, is a great risk. Jongup won't do it. He won't hurt more people by accident. And he tells Professor Bang as much.

 

"Jongup, I know it's scary not knowing how much damage you can do but don't you think that knowing how to control your power will bring you peace of mind?" Professor Bang implored. "In exchange of what? More lives? Don't forget how you found me, Yongguk", Jongup argued growing more frustrated by the minute.

 

Yongguk was about to answer when he abruptly turned to look at Himchan who had a blank look in his face. "Professor Bang, it's Youngjae. Daehyun needs your help. I don't know what's going on. We're in the Combat Center, please hurry", Himchan said monotonous before snapping out of his trance like state.

 

"We have to go, come on", Yongguk said as he rushed to the exit. Himchan wobbled a bit but followed Yongguk. Jongup reluctantly tagged along. His presence might affect Daehyun negatively and he doesn't want that, it might put the other boy in danger.

 

Several buildings later they finally reached the Combat Center. Yongguk opened the door slowly. Jongup immediately felt the life energy buzz in the air. It was humming with it. And he immediately knew what Youngjae was so worried about. 

 

"Don't", Jongup mumbled as he pulled Himchan and Yongguk back. They stayed just outside the doors where Daehyun's exuding energy was just outside of their reach. He could also sense Youngjae's but just slightly and he looked for the boy. In a corner of the combat center, Youngjae was standing in front of six other students, a barrier just strong enough to keep them safe.

 

In the center of the building, sitting in the combat area, Daehyun sat, knees to his chest and glowing brightly. Not only was he there but also several people at different distances from him, probably trying to reach him.

 

"Professor, I can't keep it up much longer", Youngjae yelled through his clenched jaw. "I'm coming to you", Yongguk asserted before Jongup held on to his arm. "You go in there and you will be knocked out like the rest of them", he warned. "I cannot just leave them there, they are my students", Yongguk argued. "Do you even know what is going on, Yongguk? He is a ticking bomb right now. He has so much energy built up that he hasn't released. Daehyun shouldn't have kept it bottled up. What he is doing right now is releasing it in large amounts, in waves of it, I can feel it. And that is Daehyun holding back most of it, if he were to relase it all ot once...", Jongup trailed off worriedly.

 

Himchan cleared his throat and they both turned to look at him. "So, Daehyun is holding on to that energy cause it is some sort of bomb, right? Which means he needs that energy to go somewhere it won't hurt anyone, yeah? Like a blackhole of sorts?" Himchan said slowly as he looked at Jongup pointedly. "Any goddamn minute now", Youngjae yelled at the pause after Himchan's revelation. "Yes! That's right! Jongup you have to touch Daehyun, create a force field just to be safe, and tell him to release his energy. You'll absorb it and no one will get hurt", Yongguk said relieved.

 

Jongup hesitated. He really wanted to help but helping isn't something that works for him, something will always go wrong and he will hurt someone instead. Besides, there were people so close. Yongguk, as if he could read his mind, asked Youngjae if he could keep the barrier up and get out the nearest exit. Youngjae nodded and paled at the effort as he walked the group the ten feet to the nearest exit and stumbled outside safely. "I'll go to him", Himchan said and left them to take care of Youngjae. 

 

"Go, in there and bring the other people who are passed out quickly, okay?" Yongguk said softly. Jongup nodded and took a deep breath before walking forward.

 

The moment he set foot in the building he was bombarded by the amount of energy. He could feel himself just taking it all in rapidly. Jongup was glad there were only three people, one of them a very petite woman which meant he got them out in one trip. "You can do it, Jongup. Daehyun needs you right now", Yongguk said encouragingly before he lifted the bodies in midair and move them into the grassy area of the courtyard. Jongup nodded once and stepped into the building again.

 

He walked towards Daehyun, the energy waves hitting him more frequently but with less force. "Daehyun, it's Jongup. I'm going to try and help you, okay? When I say to let go of your energy do so. Can you do that for me?" Jongup asked as he removed his gloves. "I. Can't. Hurt. People", Daehyun forced every word out. "No, you won't. I promise. Can you trust me?" Jongup asked hopefully. All he needed was Daehyun to trust him enough so he could help him. "I-Okay, okay", Daehyun mumbled. Jongup sighed relieved as kneeled in front of Daehyun.

 

Jongup willed his power to expand from his body, the amount of energy he was absorbing increasing along with his expanding surface area of his deadly aura. Once he could feel every inch of the building, he grabbed Daehyun's hand softly between his. "Let go, Daehyun", he whispered.

 

Jongup saw Daehyun snap his eyes open, dark brown replaced by white. Jongup felt wave after wave being absorbed. A tsunami of energy washing over him. It was like an explosion of energy that should have expanded over thousands of miles concentrating on him and just him. He could feel his body want to keep absorbing that energy but he could also feel his mind giving up on him. His body could go on, Daehyun was providing it energy but his mind, his mind was not used to this much energy at once. It was growing tired and yet had so much life. His body and mind were fighting against each other. One was bound to win and Jongup was betting on his mind.

 

Jongup felt his hands slide from Daehyun's grip and he slumped to the ground. The amount of energy receding from 30 feet tall waves to a simple, low, lazy tide. Jongup felt his projection around him and slowly contained it into his body where it was safe for everyone else. He could still feel Daehyun produce energy but it was at a slower rate, replenishing what Daehyun himself had lost in the process.

 

"Jongup? Are you okay? Don't fall asleep", Daehyun murmured as he cradled Jongup's face between his hands. Jongup smiled slightly, feeling the small hum of Daehyun's life energy. Someone he could touch without killing. That was the last comforting thought he had as Jongup closed his eyes and fell deep into slumber.

 

+

 

It had been three days and Jongup hadn't woken up. It had also been three days since Daehyun had seen sunlight. He refused to leave Jongup's side in case he woke up. He owed Jongup so much. And he also felt extremely guilty about the way he'd treated him before. Daehyun had to admit he was quick to judge. After all someone should not be judged good or evil according to their powers. Daehyun now knew that Jongup had a huge heart to take all of that energy source from him, to help him with it, and save lives in the process.

 

Yes, Daehyun had a lot to apologize for.

 

Daehyun reached over to the flowers in the vase on the nightstand and helped them grow. An outlet for his energy. Who knew helping plants grow was all it took to keep his energy levels normal? It was crucial he did it especially now that he was close to Jongup. Through their incident they discovered Jongup wasn't exactly a blackhole for energy, he simply used his up about a thousand times quicker and needed to replenish it so much sooner and often. Which led to his power developing into consuming energy through touch to keep him alive. Survival of the fittest after all.

 

Also, he can have skin to skin contact with Jongup without dropping dead. His infinite energy supply making enough for him to be able to survive Jongup's touch. And that extremely awesome, extremely fatal death projection, too.

 

Daehyun was lost in thought, wondering how much they could learn from their powers if they worked together, when he heard Jongup mumble. He rushed to his side and waited to see if Jongup was really waking up this time or if it was another false alarm. Jongup's long eyelashes fluttered against his high cheekbones and Daehyun had never seen anything quite so endearing. He had to hold back from running his hand through Jongup's messy hair, a touch from him at the moment would not be the best thing.

 

Jongup opened his eyes slowly and blinked once, twice, three times before speaking. "Am I dead?" Jongup mumbled. Daehyun chuckled lowly. "No, not really. You're at the hospital in the academy. I will get the doctor quickly", Daehyun said softly. He found the doctor rather soon and was in Jongup's room quick.

 

The doctor checked his vitals thoroughly and deemed him in great condition. "You seem well but I'd like to keep you overnight just in case", the doctor said as a farewell and left the room swiftly.

 

Daehyun smiled sheepishly at Jongup who simply stared at him. "So, my hero is finally awake", Daehyun says as he flushes pink. He sees Jongup's expression of surprise. "Hero?" He repeats breathlessly. "Yes, hero", Daehyun smiles kindly. When he sees Jongup's eyes glisten and glass over, he moves quickly to his side. "What's wrong does something hurt?" He asks concerned. "No, no", Jongup half sniffles and half laughs, "It's just that I've never been called a hero before, you know". And with those words Daehyun feels his heart, soul, and spirit break and shatter into a million pieces.

 

"Well, you are a hero. You saved hundreds of lives when you helped me get rid of that ungodly amount of energy. Thank you, Jongup", Daehyun reassures Jongup kindly. He sees Jongup purse his lips together and nod.

 

Daehyun took a deep breath and reached for Jongup's ungloved hands and took them between his. "I'd like to start over. I was rude and mean and judgemental when I first met you. I mean if it's okay with you", he proposed looking down. When he felt Jongup's warm hands tighten around his he looked up and saw Jongup giving him a blinding smile. "I'd love to", he said nicely.

 

"Hi, I'm Jongup".

"I'm Daehyun. Pleasure to meet you".

They both broke into small fits of giggles for a brief moment.

"Um, I'd like for you to be my training partner. I think we'll be good together", Daehyun suggested shyly.

"I think we will be", Jongup murmured softly as he looked down at their joined hands.

Daehyun tightened his hold around Jongup's with a soft smile. Yes, they would be.

------------------------------------------------------

Yongguk--telekinesis

Himchan- element manipulation

Youngjae-- telepathic/psychic

Zelo-- telempathy/ emotion manipulation

Jongup-- death touch/ death inducement

Daehyun-- life manipulation/absorption