No More Sunshine

Love will be love

NO MORE SUNSHINE

PROMPT#29: ZOMBIE AU

WORDS: 1425

SONG: I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU (IN MY OWN CRAZY WAY) BY JOHNNY CASH

I'M SORRY FOR THIS.

also I uploaded this through my phone so I hope it doesn't look bad..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't do it! I won't do it! Please, don't make me", Jongup sobbed as tears flowed freely down his face. "You have to, baby. I won't become one of them. I don't want that. I don't want for you to see me like that. I don't want to hurt you", Daehyun pleaded. Jongup shook his head as the gun in his hands shook harder.

"It's my fault. I'm so sorry, Daehyun. I'm so sorry", Jongup apologized lowering the gun. Daehyun pulled Jongup into a hug, tucking him underneath his chin. "No, Jongup, it's not your fault. It's not like you knew it was going to be there", Daehyun said into Jongup's hair. "If I had been paying attention, if I had reacted quicker", Jongup said between quick breaths. "I didn't see him, Youngjae didn't see him, hell, Yongguk didn't see him. We all missed him. We were tired and not careful enough. If it weren't for you, the other's would have been attacked. Jongup, you saved them", Daehyun said proudly. His Jongup had saved the other two.

"But I didn't save you", Jongup whispered sadly. "Remember when we lost Junhong? When I couldn't get to him in time? What did you say to me?" Daehyun asked softly. The loss of Junhong had hit all of them hard. He was so young, not even 18 yet and he had already experienced a cruel world, a broken apathetic humanity. "You said to me that I couldn't save everyone. And that at least Junhong would not suffer in this ugly world anymore", Daehyun reminded Jongup of his words.

Jongup had said those words to him as Junhong declared he wasn't going to become a monster and handed Youngjae a loaded gun. A used bullet later and a friend less in their small group, Jongup told Daehyun that if he ever became infected he wanted him to be the one to pull the trigger. Daehyun had reluctantly agreed and asked for the same in return.

Jongup looked up at him with tears in his eyes. Daehyun would do anything so those tears would never fall but now, there isn't much he can do. "Okay, okay, I'll do it. But we still have a few more hours together", Jongup exhaled shakily. Daehyun shook his head at the statement. "You know it's not like that. It's different for everyone. I don't want to hurt you or anyone else. Please, do it now", Daehyun said kindly. He knows it must be beyond difficult for Jongup to go through with it. And Daehyun would ask for Yongguk or Youngjae to do it but Jongup had argued with him and them about that. It wasn't a pretty fight.

Jongup sobbed softly again. "Sing to me one last time, then", Jongup begged brokenly. Daehyun nodded and smiled. "You are my sunshine, My only sunshine, You make me happy when skies are gray, You'll never know dear, how much i love you, Please don't take my sunshine away", Daehyun started singing softly, his voice breaking at the end of that verse. Jongup picked up where he left off, tears spilling from the corners of his eyes.

Jongup behind his closed eyes remembered how Daehyun in high school during their last year had left a note in his locker with a line from that song, I'll Always Love You by Johnny Cash. Jongup had been happy every time a new note with a new line tumbled out of his opened locker. He had been even more ecstatic when he saw Daehyun slip the note into his locker one day. Jongup had run up to him and planted a kiss on Daehyun's lips. Daehyun blushing red, fumbled through his words as he asked Jongup out on a date. Four perfect dates later and they were together. Together for three years. Three years of being boyfriends and recently three months of being fiancés. Daehyun had proposed to him in the restauraunt of their first date, I'll Always Love You playing softly, and Daehyun beet red as he stuttered his way to asking Jongup to marry him. Life is cruel.

Daehyun touched their foreheads together as they sang the last line," Please don't take my sunshine away".

"I'm sorry, baby. I love you, I always will. I need you to promise me you'll stay safe and be careful, okay? Promise me, Jongup", Daehyun said as he tilted Jongup's chin to look at him. "I promise, Dae", Jongup murmured softly. Daehyun nodded with a small, grateful smile and let go of Jongup.

"It's time, Jonguppie", he said softly as he stepped back and closed his eyes. Jongup's tears doubled as he raised the gun and aimed it at Daehyun. "Dae, I love you, too. I always will", Jongup whispered as he pulled back the slide to load the gun. Daehyun smiled and nodded, that was the only thing Daehyun was certain of anymore.

Jongup pulled the trigger.

+

It had been a week since Daehyun died, a week since Jongup pulled the trigger that ended his life along with Daehyun's.

Jongup laid in a small blanket, curled into a ball, his back facing Yongguk and Youngjae. He held on tightly to the chain around his neck keeping his and Daehyun's engagement rings safe and close to him. He would never lose them. It was their promise to be each other's, he would never let them go.

Yongguk, Youngjae, and him remain out of five people. People would call them lucky, Jongup would laugh at them and beg to differ. They were the most unlucky by being alive. As if the lives they live now could be considered living.

"Jongup, come keep me company. I know you're not asleep", Yongguk's voice rumbled softly. Jongup grudgingly stood up and sat with Yongguk.

"You can't keep depriving yourself of sleep and food, Jongup. You need to start talking. It's not healthy", Yongguk said. Jongup simply shook his head making Yongguk sigh.

Yongguk pulled out a locket from under his shirt and opened it to reveal a picture of him and another man holding a baby. "Since you won't talk then you'll listen. The man with me is Himchan. He is - was - my husband. The baby you see was the one we were about to adopt", Yongguk stopped as he took a shaky breath. "Himchan, he always wanted a baby girl and we were only a day away from taking her home with us. You should' ve seen Himchan", Yongguk laughed sadly, tears now trailing down his cheeks. "Obssessing over everything. He went out late that night, to buy diapers because he didn't think we had enough and when he came back he was covered in blood and had been bitten. He was infected. After they made the announcement of the epidemic, Himchan asked me to kill him. And I- I couldn't", Yongguk sobbed softly. Jongup grabbed Yongguk's hand and cried silently with and for him. "I saw him turn. It was- it wasn't him anymore. I had to- I had to kill him when he attacked me. I hate myself for letting him become something he didn't want to, for not being brave, selfless enough to help him when he needed me to. Jongup, what I'm saying is, it's hard, it will always be hard, but you saved Daehyun, like Youngjae saved Zelo, from a fate so much worse", Yongguk said firmly.

Jongup nodded. He understood but that didn't make it hurt any less. "I miss him so much", Jongup cried. Yongguk tucked him under his arm. He felt so much pity for Jongup and Youngjae, they were young and did not deserve this, like Himchan did not deserve it either. "I know honey. And I'm sorry I can't make it better but all we have now is each other", Yongguk mumbled. They heard a sniffle behind them and they saw Youngjae looking at them tearfully. Yongguk opened his other arm and Youngjae immediately rushed underneath it with a stifled sob.

"My boys", Yongguk mumbled as he pulled them both in tighter, Jongup and Youngjae intertwining their fingers to hold hands. "Okay, I'll try for you two, for Daehyun", Jongup whispered. "That's all I'm asking", Yongguk replied. Youngjae gripped Jongup's hand tighter in encouragement.

Jongup doesn't know if things in the world were ever to get better. He hopes they do, not for himself, but for the other two, Yongguk and Youngjae. They took his sunshine away but hopefully with Yongguk and Youngjae by his side they can help each other with their gray skies.