To the Greatest Love

Love will be love

Prompt # 13 BOOKSTORE AU

Words: 2895

I'm sorry I have taken so long to update.

I barely moved into my apartment for college away from home and I got a bit sad.

Cause y'know I'm not used to being away from home.

But I'm feeling a bit better now...like after a thousand liters in tears.

I'm thinking about making this into a chaptered story sometime in the future when I'm done with this..?

Anyway, enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jongup smiled at the girl as she handed him her desired book. He had to admit he was impressed at the selection she had made, A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. He had actually pegged her as a more of a Sarah Dessen reader. But hey, who is he to be assuming in the first place. “Did you find everything all right?” Jongup asked as he scanned the book. The girl gave him a smile and a nod. “Good. I hope you enjoy the book; it is amazing. One of my favorites,” Jongup said happily. “I’ve read Fitzgerald and I knew they were good friends and decided to start on Hemingway with this book,” the girl replied. Jongup nodded, “Good choice. I see you’re a fan of the Roaring 20’s, then. I suggest For Whom the Bell Tolls next if you like this book. Well, it will be $16.69.” The girl handed him the money and he gave her back her change. “Thank you. I will definitely buy that book next if I like this one,” she said gratefully before waving good-bye. “No problem,” Jongup said as he waved in return.

 

It was a weekday and it was slow. After the girl with the Hemingway book, Jongup waited fifteen minutes before leaving the counter to shelf some of the books. He liked his part time job, even if it was sometimes slow like this day. It was usually on the weekends when they had plenty of customers to keep him and Himchan, his friend and coworker, and Yongguk, the owner of the bookshop, busy from opening to closing. And yeah, it was a mess after a busy day but he loved books and organizing so it was not a drag to him, not like it was to Himchan who preferred working with the coffee shop within the bookstore. It definitely was not a drag to Yongguk. If anything Yongguk probably loved cleaning up the mess more than Jongup and that was saying something. Regardless of whether it was a busy day or not, at the end of his shift he was always glad he managed to land this job.

 

Jongup heard the bell ring as it opened and leaned back to see the entrance. It was a blonde haired boy around his own age with a young girl who looked around five or six holding his hand. “So many books,” the little girl whispered loudly. Jongup saw the blonde wink before responding. “Yes, I told you I would take you to a place with a lot of books.” The little girl giggled and looked around the bookstore with amazement. “Can I have these books?” she asked. Jongup saw the blonde hesitate for a moment but even from here Jongup could see the puppy eyes the little girl was doing were impossible to say no to. “Of course, Jinjin,” the blonde replied sweetly.

 

The little girl squealed and started tugging the older boy towards the shelves and shelves of books. The boy laughed softly and let himself be dragged towards the children’s section that he was obviously being led to. Jongup smiled as he saw them, probably brother and sister. It was cute. He saw as the girl, Jinjin, would shake her head no at every book the blonde would pull out and show her. “Daehyun, I want this one,” she said as she tried to pull out a heavy book from the display section on the small table. Jongup was about to stop the little girl from pulling out the book to avoid an accident from happening when it was too late. The books piled on top of the heavy bound book fell over but thankfully on the opposite side from where the little girl was.

 

Jongup rushed over quickly either way to make sure no one had gotten hurt. “Jinjin! Be careful, you could have gotten hurt!” Jongup heard her brother say as he picked up some of the books. “It’s okay, I can pick them up,” Jongup offered as he kneeled in front of the blonde. The boy snapped his head up and dropped the few books he had collected on his arms. “Oh, , sorry, sorry,” he apologized as he tried to pick up the books again. “Oh, you said a bad word,” Jinjin chanted. Jongup chuckled as he saw Daehyun blush. “I am sorry about the mess,” he said. Jongup shook his head with a smile. “No problem, that’s what I am here for.” The blonde looked up to see him and Jongup saw how tired he looked. He looked way too tired for someone his age.

 

“Um, here you go,” he said as he handed him some books. “I don’t know if you had them arranged a certain way or not or I would help you put them back the way there because, you know, she made the mess and she’s my responsibility and I am babbling aren’t I?” Daehyun said in one breath. Jongup laughed and grabbed the books. “Yeah you are but it’s fine I do it all the time too. But no, we didn’t really have the books in any order just placed in the middle of the table so no worry,” Jongup smiled. “Oh, okay,” Daehyun replied softly. Jongup started to place the books in the middle again and when he reached for another book he met a warm hand. He looked up and saw Daehyun hand him a book with a smile. And all he could think at the moment was,

 

Oh, crap.

 

Daehyun’s smile was something else. It was warm and peaceful. And endearing. Easily, the most beautiful smile Jongup would ever have the pleasure of seeing.

 

“Thanks,” he said shakily as he took the book. When the books were in the same arrangement as they were before they tipped over, Jongup turned to smile at the little girl. “Okay, now we just have to be careful. I don’t want you to get hurt, okay?” he said. The girl nodded understandingly at him before ing her book at him. “I want this book,” she said. Jongup chuckled and took the book, it was a fairy tail book. “Is this okay with you?” he asked her brother. “Um, how much does it cost?” Daehyun asked softly. Jongup turned the book around and bit his lip at the price. “It’s $26.99,” he answered. He saw Daehyun look at Jinjin and then at the book before sighing. “Jinjin”, he started slowly, “don’t you want another one?” Jongup saw Jinjin’s eyes get sad as she shook her head. “I want that one,” she replied. “I know you do, honey, but I don’t have enough money for it,” Daehyun said quietly. Jongup felt his heartbreak as Jinjin nodded understandingly. “Okay, DaeDae, I’ll choose another book.” She went off into the shelves and started searching for another book.

 

Jongup heard Daehyun sigh softly. “I can’t believe I can’t even afford a book for her on her birthday,” Daehyun chuckled bitterly. Jongup turned to look at Daehyun and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’ll buy her the book,” Jongup blurted. Daehyun turned to look at him quickly. “No, no, no, I didn’t tell you that so you could buy her the book,” Daehyun said. Jongup knew that was true but he still wanted to do it. “I want to,” he replied. “Why?” Daehyun asked. Jongup smiled at Daehyun before answering, “She’s cute and she likes books.” Daehyun stared at him for a minute before saying, “I’m sorry, but I won’t let you buy the book for a couple of strangers.” Before Jongup could reply a smiling Jinjin came back with a book in hand. “Can I have this one?” she asked hopefully. Daehyun took the book and nodded. “Okay, I can help you over here,” Jongup said as he walked to the check register.

 

Daehyun handed him the book and he scanned it. “$10.81,” he said. He saw Daehyun take out a $20 dollar bill that left his wallet empty. Jongup handed Daehyun back his change and Jinjin her new book. “Thank you for coming,” he said. Daehyun nodded at him as Jinjin waved good-bye. “Let’s go get you ice cream,” Daehyun offered happily. Jongup saw Jinjin smile and grab Daehyun’s hand. “Yay! I want chocolate,” she exclaimed. Jongup saw them exit and cross the street to the ice cream shop in front.

 

Jongup chewed on his lip before scanning the fairy tail book and taking his phone out.

 

To: Zelo

Junhong, could you do me a huge favor?

 

His cellphone vibrated with an incoming text.

 

From: Zelo

Sure, what is it?

 

+

 

Daehyun smiled as he saw his little sister eat her ice cream happily. At least he was able to buy her a small treat for her birthday. He knew it wasn’t a cake but at least it was better than nothing. Or he liked to think so. He knew Mijin was missing out on normal things like birthday cakes and parties but he just couldn’t afford it right now.

 

One day he would though. He will give Jinjin everything she deserves.

 

“Hello, I heard it was your birthday today,” Daehyun heard the boy who had served them their ice cream say. “Yes! I am six now,” Jinjin replied happily. The boy, Junhong his name tag read, smiled big before saying, “Oh wow, you’re so big now! And you know what birthday kids get on their birthday?” Jinjin shook his head as Daehyun stared confused at him. “More ice cream!” Junhong exclaimed as he got a bowl full of ice cream from the table behind him and placed it in front of Jinjin.

 

Daehyun was about to say that it was fine with what Jinjin had. He couldn’t afford to pay a huge bowl of ice cream. “It’s on the house. It’s something we do for people who come here on their birthday,” Junhong said. Daehyun stared at Junhong, how had he known? “Thank you!” Jinjin said before shoving a spoonful into .

 

“How did you know it was her birthday?” Daehyun asked curiously. Junhong gave him a smile and inclined his head towards the window behind them. Daehyun turned and saw Jongup.

 

Oh.

 

Daehyun felt a knot at his throat and he blinked back tears. He had never met anyone so kind before. “Jongup really is something, isn’t he?” Junhong said quietly. “Jongup,” Daehyun repeated quietly, so that was his name. “He also said to tell you not to return it,” Junhong added quickly. “Return what?” Daehyun asked. Junhong walked back behind the counter and then brought over a pink gift bag with pink paper spilling over the top.

 

“Do you believe in fairies?” Junhong asked Jinjin. Jinjin turned to look at him and nodded. “Well, just a few minutes ago a fairy told me it was your birthday and left this for you,” he said as he handed her the pink gift bag. Jinjin turned to look at Daehyun before reaching for the present. Daehyun stared with curiosity as Jinjin yanked the pink paper out and reached inside the gift bag. “DaeDae, the fairy got me the princess book!” Jinjin exclaimed as she struggled to take it out. “I want to tell the fairy thank you, I want to tell the fairy thank you!” Jinjin chanted as she hugged the fairy tail book. Junhong chuckled. “Ah, see only when you are 18 can you see the fairy. So, when you’re 18 you can thank him,” he said. Jinjin pouted a little bit but quickly smiled and nodded. “DaeDae, can you tell the fairy to come see me when I’m 18 so I can say thank you?” she asked. Daehyun only nodded knowing that if he spoke his voice would crack.

 

“Thank you,” Daehyun mouthed at Junhong who simply shook his head with a smile. Junhong turned and walked to the counter again but this time came back with a napkin. “That’s Jongup’s number. His shift ends 10 p.m. but just in case you can’t make it you can always call him,” he said as he gave Daehyun the napking. “I will, thank you, Junhong,” Daehyun responded gratefully.

 

+

 

After reading Jinjin two stories from her new book, Daehyun asked Youngjae to look after her for a couple of minutes. “It’s okay, Daehyun, you know Jinjin is like a little sister to me. Now, go,” Youngjae said as he closed the door to Daehyun’s small apartment.

 

It was 30 minutes till it was 10 p.m. and if he walked fast enough he would be at the bookstore before Jongup left.

 

Breathless and sweaty, Daehyun caught Jongup just as he was leaving the bookstore. “Jongup!” he called out. Daehyun saw Jongup stop and turn to look at him before walking to meet him halfway. Once Daehyun stood in front of Jongup, everything he had planned to say to him completely left his brain. So, he simply stood there seeing Jongup.

 

“Hi,” he said. Jongup chuckled softly. “Hello.”

 

Daehyun blushed and took a deep breath. “Jinjin wanted me to tell you that she says thank you and to see her when she’s 18.” Daehyun saw Jongup smile, that kind smile of his, and felt himself grow warm and peaceful. “Okay,” Jongup replied easily. Daehyun stepped closer to Jongup. “I also wanted to thank you. I don’t know why you were kind enough to buy Jinjin the book but I really appreciate it. I promise to pay you back.” Daehyun saw Jongup shake his head at his words. “It’s fine, you don’t have to, Daehyun,” he said. “I want to,” he argued. Jongup sighed but nodded. “Okay, but if you are going to pay me back let me take you and Jinjin out someday.” Daehyun shook his head in disbelief. “That makes no sense,” he said. “Neither does me being a fairy yet, I am,” Jongup laughed. “True,” Daehyun agreed with a laugh of his own.

 

“You just let me know when I can take you both out for a day and I’ll do so, okay?” Jongup said and Daehyun nodded. “Thank you, Jongup, really,” Daehyun whispered. “Your welcome. Would you like a ride back home?” Jongup offered. Daehyun bit his lip hesitantly but nodded, eventually Jongup would see where he lived…hopefully. “Awesome,” Jongup said as he led Daehyun to the parking lot and to his car.

 

Daehyun stopped in front of the car and gaped at it before looking at Jongup who was holding the door open for him. “This is your car?” Daehyun gasped as Jongup nodded ruefully. “Wow,” Daehyun whispered as he got inside the blue Mercedes-Bentz. He stared around the car as Jongup climbed in and turned the car on. “It was a gift from my parents. They just couldn’t get me a simple gift card or something,” Jongup said as he got unto the road. “Turn left here and then just keep going straight until you reach 23rd Street and then turn left again. But, uh, I will tell you that you might want to drive in and out of there quickly if you want to make it out with your car,” Daehyun warned. Jongup chuckled but nodded as he followed the instructions.

 

After a few minutes of silence, Daehyun spoke. “So, you come from money,” he concluded. Jongup sighed and nodded. “Yes, but I’m not some spoiled rich kid who lives off of their parents,” he added quickly. Daehyun smiled. “I know. I figured that much. I didn’t expect for you to be so kind but it’s a nice surprise.” Jongup returned the smile and the drive was spent in a comfortable silence.

 

“This is it.” Daehyun said as he saw the yellow building of his apartment. He stared at Jongup he looked at the building with curiosity. “Do you want me to walk you?” he asked. Daehyun sighed in relief when he didn’t see any sort of disgust or contempt from Jongup as to where he lived. “It’s fine. I really wasn’t joking about you leaving quickly with your car. But I’ll text you soon for that day out, don’t worry,” Daehyun said. Jongup laughed and nodded. “I’ll be waiting patiently then.”

 

+

 

Jinjin smiled as she raised her glass into the air. “I want to thank my new brother-in-law for making my brother so happy. I want to thank him for always being there for us, for never judging where we are from, and for always loving my brother and me unconditionally,” she said as her voice cracked at the end.

 

Jinjin turned to look at the newly wed couple and saw Daehyun blink tears away furiously and Jongup send her a smile.

 

“I also want to thank him for that book, a fairy tail book he gave me on my sixth birthday twelve years ago. I don’t know if Jongup realized what he had done in that moment by giving me the book. He made me believe in happily ever afters, that every problem has a solution, and, most importantly, to never give up hope that things will get better. Thank you. Thank you for everything. To Daehyun and Jongup, to the greatest love this world will ever know,” Jinjin said as she finished her speech.

 

“To the greatest love this world will ever know,” their friends and family repeated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like this could make a good story.

If i do make up my mind on whether or not to expand this idea as a chaptered story

it will probably be very similar to this.