Bright Red (The Wings of Love)

Love will be love

Prompt #9:Matching Soulmate Marking

Words: 2000 (omfg perfect number. i didnt do that on purpose, i swear)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A mark. That is the only clue to a person's soulmate. Yes, a soulmate. A story as old as civilization speaks of how two people--it was never specified whether it was a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman-- met and instantly knew they were in love. They felt as if they had known each other regardless of not ever even seeing one another before and as they stood recognizing all of their emotions they both noticed one thing: the mark on their wrist was exactly the same. A simple matrix of lines that each individual thought was unique to their own anatomy, a beauty mark of sorts. It was only then that they both felt the warmth radiating from their Marks, something that had never happened before, and as they moved closer to each other the Mark only burned hotter. It wasn't until they shared their names, a kiss promising to be each other's, that the Mark stopped burning and changed color, from simple black, to a bright red. Bright red to match their love and passion for each other through their life together. Until one moved on to rest in peace and the other was left to wait join his loved one, with only the memory of a now white Mark to remind of him of the greatest love that burned bright red.

They are the greatest love story ever told and the first appearances of the Mark to be recorded. No one since the time of the First Marks was ever able to obtain a bright red color, deemed through the story the purest and strongest form of love. Though many people have given up the idea that the color of the Marks have any significance to the affections between a couple, many still wonder if such a bright red color could ever be possible. Between hues of gray, yellows, blues, and greens (those colors being the most commons) those of burgundy, ox blood, and maroon colors are always greeted with gasps and admiration since any shade of red is rare to see.

Yet again there are people who never meet their soulmates. The Mark is there but it never burns, it never changes color. Usually, and it's most of the time, soulmates find each other. Miles, cities, states, countries, oceans, apart and soulmates still manage to meet. It could have been at an airport, museum, a random street, a chance meeting usually happens. A theory as to why a person does not meet their soulmate are that they are not yet born, which many people dispute since the age differences are never great. The most popular theory is that the soulmate died before ever meeting its destined one, if they never met the Mark never changed color therefore if the soulmate died no change in the Mark would happen.

Most people in average meet their soulmate at the age of 16 and 24. Any earlier or later is rare but not impossible. Those who meet their soulmate at a young age develope a shade of red while those who meet at an age later than 24 stay at the common colors. No one really knows if there is an actual correlation or if it is simply coincidence. But people talk and exchange thoughts on the Marks all the time. Everyone hoping to meet their soulmate soon."

Daehyun sighed as his professor finished the lecture on Marks and their history. Its always the same: speculation, speculation, speculation. They call them facts but that doesn't seem right to Daehyun. Facts can be proven right or wrong and the thing with Marks is that no one truly knows. Yes, he has his own Mark, not on his wrist (see another thing that is 'rare but not impossible') but on his left shoulder. It's a wing. It looks like a wing. An angel wing is what most people say it looks like. Daehyun sighs and wonders why he has to take this class in the first place when he already knows this as he walks out of the lecture room. It has been told to him since he first started school and now as a Junior in college he has it engrained into his brain.

Daehyun sits in a vacant table at the cafeteria with his food and waits for his friends, Yongguk and Himchan. He people watches in the mean time, looking at the soulmates and their marks being blissfully happy and the people who haven't met their soulmates wondering if they are fine with that. Daehyun himself hasn't found his soulmate but he doesnt worry, or tries not to, since he is only 21. He has three more years to go and if he doesn't meet his soulmate then he'll be fine just as he is now. 

"well, aren't you thinking deeply", Daehyun heard Himchan say. Daehyun looked up and saw Himchan and Yongguk, holding hands like always, and smiled at them. "About time. I was about to eat without you two", Daehyun said. Himchan and Yongguk rolled their eyes at him. "What do you want to eat, babe?" Yongguk asked as Himchan took a seat in front of Daehyun. "Hm, a burger! Yes. A burger, please", Himchan smiled adoringly at Yongguk as he nodded and went to get their food. "Gross. Can't believe that after 5 years you guys still make goo goo eyes at each other", Daehyun teased lightly. " it", Himchan replied with a smile and a roll of his eyes. After all Himchan and Yongguk had met because of Daehyun... 

Daehyun had been walking through the hallways of his high school when Yongguk, who he did not know back then, bumped into him and made him drop all of his papers and books. Himchan who happened to be passing by stopped to help him pick his things up and not soon after Yongguk came back and helped him too. Well, he would have if his and Himchan's Marks had not started to burn. So, there was Daehyun with all his belongings on the floor and in the middle of the soulmates. Daehyun awkwardly stood up and waited it out. An exchange of names, a very, very intimate kiss, and a pair of maroon Marks later, Daehyun coughed and asked if he could have his things. Both boys, just 16 like Daehyun himself, blushed and handed him his things as they declared him their best man at their future wedding.

Daehyun was about to reply to Himchan's snarky comeback when he felt his left shoulder sting. Oh, crap, his soulmate was here. Here. Right now. And damn it, it had to be in the middle of the cafeteria, the most populated place at the university. "Daehyun what are you doing?" Himchan asked as he moved to stand on his chair for a better view. "My Mark, it stings. So, my soulmate is around here. Ugh, it's getting warmer", Daehyun replied as he reached for his bare shoulder where his Mark was really starting to bother him. He could hear Himchan squeal in delight and stumble to stand on his chair as well.

Daehyun's mark just burned hotter and hotter so that meant his soulmate was getting closer and closer and , he did not want to miss his soulmate. "Why couldn't the Marks tickle instead of burn!" Daehyun heard someone...a guy complain nearby. His eyes immediately pinpointed the source of the voice. The sweet, honey voice belonged to a boy with blue-black hair in a perfect messy spikey style with the highest, sharpest cheekbones he had ever seen. The guy was stunning with his pink lips and almond shaped eyes. His soulmate had the face of an angel and the body of a god if by the muscles on his arms were any indication. That is it. His soulmate was an Adonis. His soulmate was perfect. His soulmate was...talking to him.

"Uh, sorry, what was that?" Daehyun stammered. "i asked if you're looking for your soulmate cause i happen to be looking for mine as well", the boy repeated with a smile. Wow, what a gorgeous smile, Daehyun thought with a sigh. "Excuse him. He's always this slow. But yes, he is looking for his soulmate", Himchan answered making his soulmate laugh. Daehyun glared at Himchan before looking back at his soulmate. "yes, i am. Where is your Mark at?" Daehyun asked. Normally, Marks were in the same place. "On my right shoulder and it is killing me. I just wanted to eat", his soulmate responded.

Wait, right shoulder. Not his soulmate. What. "Oh. My Mark is on my left shoulder", Daehyun said morosely. This stranger here was perfect for him. "Oh", his not soulmate responded and Daehyun could hear a trace of disappointment. "Sorry, then", he added before continuing his search. Daehyun sighed as his Mark kept burning, it really was bothering him now. "Wait! Daehyun, look! Short, Cute, and Hot has the same angel wing Mark as you!" Himchan yelled excitedly as he pointed at the retrieving back of the stranger that could be his perfect soulmate. As soon as Daehyun saw that Himchan was right, he hopped off his chair and ran to his soulmate, pushing people aside and apologizing right after, with Himchan right behind him.

"Wait! Hold up!" Daehyun yelled as he grabbed one of his maybe--hopefully-- soulmate's gloriously muscled arm. "Our Mark's they're the same just on opposite sides. Well, they look oddly similar", Daehyum panted as the guy turned to look at him. "An angel's wing?" he inquired. Daehyun nodded, a smile starting at his lips. "My name is Jongup, pleasure to meet you, soulmate", Jongup said with a bright smile. "Name is Daehyun and i can say the same to you, soulmate", Daehyun replied with the biggest smile on his face. Jongup reached down and intertwined their fingers together, the burn of the Mark fading all together. Daehyun had never felt more at peace in his life before and he could tell Jongup felt the same. 

"Wow, i thought Marks had to be in the same place," Himchan mused out loud. "It is rare but not impossible", Daehyun and Jongup said in a monotone, practiced voice. Their eyes locked and they both laughed. "You two are so meant to be", Himchan muttered with a smile. "Well, kiss", Yongguk said as he appeared right next to Himchan with a huge smile.

Daehyun grabbed Jongup by the waist and pulled him in as Jongup locked his arms around his neck. They paused before their lips touched, simply savoring the moment and making it last. Their lips met and everything in the world felt completely perfect. They had each other until Death do them apart and even then they had eternity afterwards. And Daehyun with Jongup by his side was the happiest person on the universe.

Daehyun and Jongup broke apart and smiled at each other. Whose smile was bigger and more full of love was impossible to tell. "Oh, my god", Himchan said. The new couple broke their gaze and look at Himchan whose mouth was hanging open next to an equally surprised Yongguk. "What's wrong, Himchan?" Daehyun asked curiously. "Your Marks are bright red", Yongguk replied full of awe. "What?" Daehyun and Jongup replied in astonishment. "Your Marks are bright red! Candy apple, bright red! And not only that. They make a set of angel wings when you guys stand shoulder to shoulder!" Himchan explained excitedly.

"I really shouldnt be surprised at the color. I saw you in the cafeteria on top of a chair and immediately knew you were my soulmate. It felt wrong when you said our Marks were different", Jongup told Daehyun. "I know, I felt it too. I knew you were perfect for me," Daehyun replied as he leaned to kiss Jongup again and never wanting to stop.

"But you have to admit the set of angel wings our Marks make is ing badass", Jongup murmured against Daehyun's lips who immediately laughed into their kiss. Yes, Jongup was nothing less than perfect for him.