증오

Strong Heart

"So? Did you talk to her?" Baekhyun asked chewing on his half eaten apple as he sat on Sehun's office desk despite the younger one's disapproval.

"No." Sehun answered, trying to keep his attention on his paper work despite the sounds coming from his Hyung. Slamming the file shut he groaned. "Can you at least chew quietly?"

"This is the way I eat." Baekhyun shrugged. "What's your problem? I could ask you to breathe quietly but I don't, do I?" he retorted, taking the last bite and flinging the remains of the core into the dustbin. "Goal!" he hooted, pumping his fist into the air much to Sehun's annoyance.

"God!" Sehun sighed, burying his face into his hands.

"It's Baekhyun Hyung for you, not God." he beamed, jumping off the table with a loud thud. "I'd better go to the base. Suho Hyung's going to kill that poor bastard if I don't reach on time." he grinned, turning around to give a mischievous smile to his Dongsaeng. "Hey!" he snapped his fingers. "You better make your move on the princess quick, or else someone else will."

Princess. Sehun scoffed at the nickname Baekhyun created for Areum. Running his hand through his tousled hair, he got up and grabbed his hype beast’s bomber jacket suddenly reminded of a certain thing to grab for a certain someone.

 

 

 

"What is this?" Areum asked as she shook the box in her hand; squinting her eyes at Sehun.

"It's not a bomb. If you think that's what it is." Sehun rolled his eyes. "It's a ing phone!" he exclaimed exasperatedly, her suspicions were driving him mad to a point he no longer could think straight. What in the world did she think he is?

Grabbing his beer bottle he took a swig, watching her open the box through the corners of his eyes.

"iPhone 5s?" Areum gasped. "I always wanted one." she clapped happily, momentarily forgetting her anger towards Sehun for forgetting about her the previous night. "Thank yo—" her words got cut off as Sehun snatched the phone from her grasp and fiddled with it, his phone on his other hand.

"What're you doing?" Areum asked as she leaned forward to take a look at what he was doing. Sehun's face just an inch or two away.

"Saving my number." he said as he flicked it back to Areum, who surprisingly caught it.

"Oh!" she tapped his thigh repeatedly. "Give me Jongin's number too!"

Sehun tilt his head and gave her a stern look. "What do you need it for?" he asked, stretching his arm on the back rest of the couch still packed with pillows and sheets. He'd placed himself there even though he found her still asleep after getting his a work done at the HQ and getting the phone for Areum.

"I don't have any friends." she said dejectedly. "He's the only one I can actually have a decent conversation with unlike y—" stopping herself before she could say the word, she almost bit her tongue on the way.

"Unlike who?" Sehun perked his ears up; a sense mischief in his tone.

Ignoring his question, she slammed her back onto the pillows, browsing through different apps on her new phone.  "Hey, do we have a wifi connection here?" she asked, poking Sehun's thigh with her toe.

“Yes.”

“Give me the password. Please?” Areum blinked, her natural aegyo overcoming her eternal disgust for people wanting to act like a baby for some reason, all because of candy crush.

"Can you not stay quiet for some time?" Sehun said bluntly, pinching the bridge of his nose with a tired sigh.  "You'd make really good friends with Baekhyun and Chanyeol.' he shook his head at the thought, turning his attention back to the news.

"Oh." Areum swallowed a lump when she heard the names. Having heard their stories from Jongin last night, she suddenly felt bad for the boys despite their cruel behavior to her the first time they met. Learning of their struggles she felt an urge to meet them, talk to them since their situations although not entirely the same were all consisting of alienation. She could empathize with them."When can I see them?"

"They don't like you." Sehun replied nonchalantly, dismissing the thought.

"They will." she said confidently. "If they can like you, they will like me." kicking off the duvet and taking a long stretch she slowly marched herself to the kitchen to fetch a cup of coffee.

"What does that mean?" Sehun asked as soon as she made her way back.

"It means, if they could get used to your coldness and uptight attitude. They'd surely learn to like me." she explained, offering her coffee to Sehun, so simply shook his head and lifted his beer bottle to show her he already had a drink.

"You wish." Sehun scoffed, downing the whole bottle in one go. Straightening the crease on his pants, he got up and picked the empty bottle.

"Wait." Areum held on to his wrist before he could turn around. "I have a question." she raised her hand.

"Can it not wait?" he sighed. "I need to go to the loo."

"Oh, sure!" Areum waved her hands in the air, face flushed. "Go, go."

 

After half an hour or so, Sehun emerged back from his room, dressed in full black attire, black casual V neck T-shirt, showing off his godly collar bones; black ripped jeans and a black biker jacket hanging on his arm. So much for going to the loo, he was dressed dapper, looking like some of the models in Grazia and Vogue Korea.

Areum had been too engrossed in watching the re broadcast of the latest running man episode to realize Sehun leaning on the door frame, watching her like a hawk. Sensing the pair of eyes boring onto the back of her head, she turned around to face a grinning Sehun, arms crossed before his chest. Her breath almost got stuck as it was the first time seeing Sehun's sculpted arms. She'd never seen someone who breathtakingly beautiful and perfect in every angle.

"What?" she asked stupidly, referring to his stare. "What the hell did you eat that you spent 30 minutes in the toilet?" she grimaced. Flicking the remote to her side as she switched the TV off and intently stared outside the window.

"Go get dressed." he said, waving the keys in his hands, ignoring her comment. "We're going out."

 

 

"No!" Areum protested as they stood in front of the garage. "I'm not riding on this freaking bike." she shook her head. "N-no, I can't."

"Don't be a wuss." Sehun said casually as he placed the helmet onto Areum's head and opened the visor. "You said you get bored right? So, we're going out." he passed the girl his most flashing smile and turned around to wear his helmet, swinging his legs over the custom made, black MV Augusta F4CC. "Hop on"

"You can do it Areummie." she chanted to herself as she slowly and carefully sat on the bike, with Sehun's hands protectively gripping her hand for support. "You can do it."

Sehun revved the engine alive causing Areum to wrap her arms around his waist in reflex and sticking her head to his firm back like a Koala baby hanging on to it’s parent.

"Ready?" he asked as he shut his visor.

"No." Areum shook her head but pressed onto Sehun's back as if her life depended on it. “Just drive.”

A chuckle escaped his lips as he shook his head in amusement and drove off in a blur.

 

 

 

 

"Am I dead?" Areum weakly asked as she stumbled off the bike with wobbly legs.

"Careful." Sehun muttered as he grabbed her arms and steadied her trance. "You look like a drunkard. Walk properly."

"Where are we?" she asked, holding onto his arm for support. She'd never been an adrenaline junkie, she hated amusement parks, or anything fast for that matter. Heck, she even disliked elevators. "Sehun... I'm feeling dizzy." she mumbled, patting her chest to avoid puking.

"We're here." he leaned down and whispered to her ear. Quietly, he placed his hands on the small of her back as he opened the door for her, letting her into the hillside restaurant.

"What took you so long?" a loud voice bellowed, causing Areum to stagger and whip her head up to see the source.

"You said you wanted to meet them, right?" Sehun whispered; a grin forming in his face when he saw all the color drain from Areum's face. "Good luck."

Clearing awkwardly, she made her way towards the vacant seat between the two confused men, stealing glances at an amused Sehun who dragged a seat from the nearby table and sat further away from them, crossing his arms on the table and prepping himself to watch the show.

"Hi" Areum waved her hand in the air. "I'm Son Areu—"

"We know who you are Miss Son and we're clearly not interested to know more about you or your father for that matter." said the tall, elf eared man. Chanyeol. Areum thought in her mind, the one Jongin had described as loud, clumsy caring friend. Seriously?

"Yeollie—"

"No Baek-- Listen to me." Chanyeol stood up, pushing the flat of his palms on the table. "I don't know what has gotten into the whole lot of you, but from what I remember. This girl's father." he pointed at Areum. "Is responsible for the death of my father. And I—" he pointed a thumb at himself. "—Am not okay with that even if you guys are."

Realizing how the topic had escalated to a much serious matter, in such a short span of time. Sehun found himself interrupting. "You can't blame her for what her father did Hyung. Stop being so small minded." He knew better than not intervene, but somehow, Chanyeol attacking Areum because of something her father did was entirely rubbish.

"Small minded?" Chanyeol scoffed. "I've been listening to you and your bull for over 9 days straight. I'm done. I don't ing get why in the world are we protecting that son of a Changho's daughter? What gain so we have from it? The only thing this creature here will bring us is more trouble." he paused, taking a deep breath, ignoring the strange looks people fro. The other table gave him. "If she's staying. Consider me gone.... For good."  he wiped his hands on the napkin, throwing it towards Areum, who still hadn't spoken a word and bend down to whisper against her ears. "Have a nice meal... Miss Son."

None of them tried to stop the tall man from leaving since they knew how attached he was to his father and that matter was something considered untouchable by the group. If any of them had taken it the hardest; it was Chanyeol.

"Sorry about Yeol." Baekhyun said as he feigned a smile and reached out to shake Areum's hand. Trying to lighten the mood, something he usually was in charge of. "Hi, I'm Baekhyun". He too wasn't a big fan of Areum, but well, he simply didn’t care. He knew his dongsaeng well and if he wanted to keep her around, he’d be more than welcome to.

Areum sat frozen in her seat, unmoving. Noticing her behavior, Sehun softly nudged her to check if she were okay.

"Oh," she exclaimed quietly. "I-I'm sorry. I, I need to use the restroom, s-sorry." she sprang up, causing a few items on the table to fall, one unfortunately spilled over her shirt causing a huge red stain.

"Hey!" Sehun turned to grab her wrist but she jerked her hand away. "Areum!" he bellowed, following her from behind as she ran past the crowd outside the restaurant into the dark.

 

 

 

Areum didn't realize how long it'd been and how long she'd been out. All that rang in her mind was her father. Why in the world did I have to be his daughter?

She wondered how many people's lives he'd torn apart, including hers and her mother's. Weren't they enough?

From what she heard from Jongin, Chanyeol was the youngest and the only son of the two children of Park Haewon a very well known advocate--persecutor. Once, he had somehow managed to get intel about 'a very powerful company' (Precisely Jongin's words, since he knew the reaction he'd get if he mentioned her father or his company. It all made sense to her now.) and leaked it to the court.

The very next month, during the proceedings of the court hearing, Mr. Park was allegedly accused of smuggling and ually assaulting two of his underage interns. All noticed to the police by an anonymous tipper. The family took it hard especially since Mr. Park was already in the scrutiny of the media. Unable to deal with the situation of his wife leaving due to the rumors, his elder daughter eloping with a doper just to get away from her father. He committed suicide, leaving behind a 15 year old Chanyeol to fend for himself in the cruel world.

The KC & co. Case was never given a final order, leaving the case as it is due to the death of the prime-appeaser, who himself turned out to be a criminal (according to the media), although the information could never be proved.

 

 

"Areum?"

She jumped at her name, almost falling backwards to hit the concrete. A firm grip held her by her arm and pulled her to safety, wrapping a warm clothing over her shoulders. She looked up to find Sehun standing before her with a worried expression.

"You're going to get sick." he said as he jerked his head towards the restaurant. "You haven't even eaten anything."

"Leave me alone Sehun." she mumbled, removing his jacket from her shoulders and handing it back to him. "You should just... Let me go." she croaked, clenching her fists. "Chanyeol is right. You shouldn't... Y-you shouldn't waste your time on me. I-I'm only going to cause you trouble." her shoulders slumped, her expression; crest fallen. "Maybe you s-should just send me off to him. M-Maybe he'll stop ruining more lives."

"Stop talking nonsense Areum." Sehun said, grabbing her cold hands and pressing it in between his two warm ones. "That won't solve a thing."

"I-It might. You never know." she insisted, her body shaking with cold. Teeth clattering.

Noticing her pale skin, blue lips, Sehun immediately swung another layer of his jacket over her shoulders again just in time to hold her before she hit the ground; unconscious.

Cursing himself for using the motorbike this day of all days, he had no option but to call for help. Struggling with Areum in his hands and trying to pull his phone out from his pocket he finally managed with a few tricks here and there. He immediately typed the #1 on speed dial.

"Jongin!" he panted. "I need your help."

 

 

 

 

"What happened?" Jongin shouted as he helped carry Areum into his car. "Is she alright?"

"She's freezing." Sehun replied, removing another layer of his clothes to wrap it around her petite body. "You take my bike." handing his helmet and keys he turned around and waved Jongin off, who quickly swung his legs over the motorcycle and revved it to life.

 

 

 

 

 

"What happened?" Jongin asked again as he watched Sehun place her on his bed, covering her with layers of duvets.

"She sat out in the cold for God knows how long." he said, pushing his hips with his hands. "I thought she was at the rest room, when she didn’t return I thought she came back here."

"Why would she suddenly leave?" Jongin pressed on. "Did you mention her father to her Sehun? You know how that's puts her off." he scratched his head. "It's like a trigger or something."

"Chanyeol did." Sehun spat despise fully.

"Wait!" Jongin held his hand up and stopped his friend from leaving the room. "How'd that happen?"

When Sehun spoke no other word, Jongin sighed. "You know how he is whenever Changho related matter comes up. Areum is his daughter for Christ's sake. Obviously he'll be pissed."

"But she wasn't responsible for what he did Jongin. I don’t understand that giant sometimes. The man killed himself, no one held him at gunpoint and asked him to shoot himself dead." he retorted. Of all people, he hated cowards the most, and as much as he cared about his hyung, he couldn’t help but think of Mr. Park as a coward who left his son alone all because he was too scared to face the storm. Pressing his hand to his forehead he sighed. "My head's about to burst."

"I never said that bro." Jongin grinned, seating himself beside Sehun and giving him a pat on his back. "You go rest, I'll look after her."

"That's fine. I can do it." Sehun said, a sour expression taking over his previously blank one. "You've done enough already."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Jongin sprang up, glaring at his best friend with the relatively equal sour expression he received earlier. Earlier he wouldn’t have been so agitated, but with the tone Sehun spoke, his anger suddenly spiked.

"God, what is going on in your mind Jongin? You know what I mean." Sehun smirked, grabbing the jug and pouring a glass of water for himself.

"I don't." the equally tall man snarled. "That's why I am asking you. What did you mean by that?"

Feeling pissed, tired and deprived of sleep, Sehun grunted. "From now onwards you should mind your own business Jongin." his eyes twitched. "That's what I meant."

"A-are we actually fighting about a girl?" Jongin mused, seating himself back down on the couch. "It's high school all over again." he chuckled darkly.

" no." Sehun shook his head. "All I'm saying is. Don't get too attached to this girl Jongin. You already know the circumstances it'll cause you." he turned around, holding the glass in his hand walking towards the kitchen.

Silently, Jongin watched his friend walk away. Not saying a word until he made sure he couldn't hear him anymore. "You should say that to yourself my brother... "

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Drama is only about to begin.