세훈

Strong Heart

 

 

Waking up from a throbbing pain in her lower region, Areum stretched and made sure to not strain herself too much as she woke up, with no one beside her. She was glad Sehun had woken up before her and  made things less awkward for her. She was in no way in love with him or even close to it. What happened yesterday was a mistake. Blaming her hormones and lack of ual encounter for a long time, she gave herself a green light.

"Maybe it would be best not to tell anything to Yixing." she decided as she rolled over the bed, wrapping the duvet over her bare body. Although they'd broken up a few months ago when he suddenly decided to move to China without consulting her. However, they kept in contact; deciding to stay as friends although neither of them had really moved on.  "Wait!" she suddenly sprang up, regretting it as soon as she did as her legs gave way and she stumbled over the carpet, landing with a soft thud. Groaning, she managed to get up, hurrying to grab her clothes strewn all over the place. 


After dressing herself and splashing water over her face, she tied her hair up into a high pony tail, checking her face for the last time before heading towards the kitchen. She desperately needed a phone. She'd lost hers the day she got 'abducted'.


 

 

Having checked every other room in the apartment, Areum almost gave up hope. She didn't have money to use the phone booth, since she had no money basically and -- 
"!" she exclaimed as she came to a sudden realization, cursing herself for not realizing it earlier. "I'm alone." she paused, looking left-right. "There's no one with me." feeling invincible, she strut towards what she assumed the was the exit. Swinging the door open with great might, she was met with a rather annoyed and pissed looking Sehun standing at the end of the room, which looked more like a library. An office perhaps?


Quickly closing the door after meeting his angry glare, Areum sprint towards the room she emerged from. Her plan to escape had been so short lived, if only she'd been more careful. She could've left without much noise and no one would've noticed. Maybe.


You stupid girl! She mentally scolded herself, a train of curses leaving her delicate lips.
 

 Just as she turned to lock the room from inside, a foot blocked the same from being closed, a curse emerging from the other side.
Areum opened the door, peeking from behind to keep as much distance as she could. Seeing a crouching Sehun, grabbing his right foot, she felt awful and bent down. 

 

"I-I'm so sorry." she muttered idiotically. Frightened of what he might say. It was impossible to figure out his personality since one minute he'd be the best love maker, giving her kisses and the kind of pleasure she never knew, the next minute he'd become the scary, cold man she first met in the basement.
 

"Get your hands off me." he growled dangerously, slapping it away and pushing himself up. "You better not try to run. Your father has already found out about you."
 

"w-what?" Areum stuttered, staggering backwards. If there was anything Areum was scared of, it was her father.
 

"My men saw your father's men vandalizing your apartment. Searching for evidences that'll lead to you." he snapped, soothing his tousled hair. "If you don't want to die. You'll listen to me and follow my orders. Am I clear?"
The mere thought of being caught by her father made her shudder in fear. Quickly she nod, wrapping her arms around her shoulders and turned around, walking lifelessly towards the room. 

 

Sehun watched her every move, his mind still going around in circles. He still couldn't understand why the mere mention of her father would get Areum to react the way she did earlier. He made it a point to make Kyungsoo find it out, although he had nothing to gain from knowing this particular price of information. 
His curiosity was killing him.


"So you left her alone? At your apartment?" Chanyeol barked as he stared down at his Dongsaeng who seemed detached from everything happening. The girl they grabbed turned out to be the daughter of their arch rival and he knew how dangerous that could be, they'd kept away from anything related to the gruesome Kim Changho since it could mean a lot of blood shed. "Are you ing insane?"
 

"Yeol!" Kyungsoo warned from the corner of the room, a MacBook resting on his lap. It was impossible to separate Kyungsoo and his laptop, just like it was impossible to separate Chanyeol from his hybrid pistol-assualt riffle with not 1 or 2, but 3 assemblies made especially for him by Sehun.
 

"She won't go anywhere." Sehun said idly, as if he hadn't heard the fuming boy and his complains.
 

"Just let her go! I don't ing care if she gets killed by her own father or not. It's their problem, not ours. I don't even get why we're getting invovled." he bellowed. Realizing how he'd been wasting his energy shouting the whole damn time while Sehun just sat idly, he  calmed himself speaking again in a much softer tone. "Sehun, I know you're doing this so your father can see what you're capable of. But, listen to me when I say this." he cleared his throat, ignoring Kyungsoo's glare from across the room, as if saying don't-you-dare-go-there. The last time Baekhyun tried to talk to Sehun about letting the thoughts of being the heir go, it didn't end very well. Lets just say they were lucky to be alive and kicking. "We're the ones who're going to suffer and... He won't care. As long as his dear little Sanghyun is alive, he won't care. When will you get it? You don't deserve to be treated the way you are being treat--"
 

"Are you done?" 
 

"Did you not understand what I just said?" Chanyeol's lid blew off. 
 

"Oh, I would've, if  I'd wanted to." Sehun snapped. "If you're done talking..." Sehun said, standing up and pushing his sleeves up to his elbows. Passing a file with portfolios of people that needed to be eliminated towards the human-giant. "Do your job."

 

 

Having nothing to do but just sit at 'home' and watch TV, Areum groaned. Being a person who loved  outdoors and being independent and free, this had to be the worst thing that could've happened to her.
Switching the channel to-and-fro, from Music bank to show champion, nothing grabbed her interest. The sound of the door bell, followed by the beeping of the intercom awoke her from her day dreaming and made her rush towards the back of the wall. Picking up a golf stick that stood at the corner of the room. She tiptoed towards the hallway and into the kitchen when she was met with a dark silhouette with the back to her face. If it were Sehun, he wouldn't have pressed the doorbell. It definitely had to be someone else. 

 

Could it be.... 

 

Boosting all her power, she swung the golf club at the back only to let out a shriek when the person turned away swiftly and grabbed her arm, making her lose her grip on her weapon.
 

"No!!" she screamed when the person, who's face she'd still not been able to see, swung her over his shoulder, while she kicked the air and struggled. "Leave me alone!!" she yelled, grabbing his hair and pulling it in all directions.
 

"What the ?" the male growled, throwing her body down the floor without care as he placed his palm against his ears. "You ruined my ear drums!" he complained, rubbing it rigorously.
 

Groaning with pain from the impact to the ground, Areum tilt her head to see the face of the intruder. "It's you!" she pointed an accusing finger at Jongin, who was pressing the heel of his palm against his ear.
 

"What have you done to Sehun?" he asked. Crouching down to grab her arm and shake her. 
 

"What do you mean?" 
 

"It's not like him to be so unorganised." he pointed out, never in his life had he came across Sehun doing things without a solid plan. "Did you have anything to do with the Jung's? Did they set you up? Are you a spy from the north?"
 

Areum gaped at the man blabbering the most absurd things she'd heard since, forever. "What?"
 

"Forget it." he let his grip loosen as he stood up and placed his hands against his hips. 
 

"W-who're you? What's your name?" Areum asked timidly. She wasn't interested in knowing his name. The only reason she asked was because, if in case she had to report to the police. She'd have a name to file.
 

"We don't need to be friendly with each other Miss Son. I'm only here because Sehun asked me to." Jongin spat, seating himself at the sofa as he placed his legs on the coffee table.
 

Of all things she couldn't endure. Areum hated unhygienic environment. Her time in the basement had been more than enough for her, she didn't need tolerate it anymore. "Please. At least remove your boots." she stated spitefully. Jongin plugged his earphones in, ignoring the girl completely.

 

"Yah!" poking his shoulder, Areum insisted. Somehow, she felt responsible with what was going on in the apartment. Well, maybe that had something to do with the fact that she no longer had a home of her own and she'd have to settle here. Even if she hadn't been invited to.
 

Sighing, Jongin put his legs down, giving a death glare before his lips twitched up into a sly smirk and he put his legs up on the couch, stretching the length on the off-white couch. His eyes ran from Areum's head to toe, making her disgusted beyond belief. Even if this arrogant man and Sehun were in the same team, she still preferred Sehun's company.
 

"Just why in the world were you holding that thing back there?" Jongin asked, slightly humored and impressed at the same time. The girl had survival instincts.
 

"Why did you ring the bell if you knew the passcode?" Areum shot back, pressing her hands against her hips.
 

"Giving you time to be ready, you know. In case you were or something." he grinned like a maniac, a very handsome one. "Besides, if someone were to break in, they wouldn't press the ing door bell." he smirked. "Thought you were smarter than that Miss Son." he tched. Fixing the cushion behind him before slamming his head against it. "Now keep your annoying voice low so I can sleep."

 

Unable to just sit idly, Areum made it a point to clean the house, although it was as clean as a speck. Placing the washed dishes back to its rightful places, she paced back and forth in the kitchen, finding the ingredients for the dish she craved at the moment.
 

After 30 minutes of struggling and burning her finger, Areum smiled a satisfied smile as she poured the Pork congee into the Chinese bowl. 
A moment later, a sleepy looking Jongin emerged into the kitchen, sniffing the air. Without any other word he grabbed a bowl and poured himself a serving making Areum gawk at him. He turned around, ignoring her presence, something Areum had grown accustomed to in this short time. Grabbing a bottle of soju, he sat at the opposite of Areum, slurping her deliciously made congee.

 

Just when she'd settled with the silence, Jongin spoke. Making Areum happy that he'd initiated some kind of a conversation, since she was sure she'd turn mad for being so isolated for the past few days. Yet, she wasn't surprised he'd said what he'd just said.
 

"Needs more salt."
 

Areum shrugged. "I thought you weren't here to make friends." attacking him with his own words. Good going Areumie. Good! She smiled to herself proudly until it broke with the sound of his chuckle.
 

"You're really something aren't you, Areumsshi?" he smirked, taking a large spoonful of the delish. "No wonder Sehun is so intrigued with you."
 

"Wh-what?" the mention of Sehun's name struck a chord in Areum's mind, suddenly reminded of what happened the earlier night.
 

"Don't be too naive Miss Son, he has his ways with girls. You're not the first one." Jongin grinned, noticing how Areum's face turned red and suddenly drained of all color, all within a span of 20 seconds. "He's not the type that stays committed. The only commitment he has is to his work. And his friends.... Not people like you."

 

 

 

 

 

"Thanks for promoting me to a babysitter, Sehun. It'd been a delightful experience." Jongin said sarcastically as he got up from Sehun's massaging couch. 

"I need to talk to you Jongin." Sehun spoke all too seriously for Jongin to ignore. He knew Sehun like the back of his hand and the expression he wore at the moment was one he'd seen 10 years ago, when his mother died. "Lets go to the study."

 


"What?" Jongin exclaimed. "Are serious Sehun?" he slammed his hands on his knees, unable to take in what his best friend had just said. "This is just.... Crazy."
 

"This is my only chance." Sehun said carefully. Having spent 24 years as a shadow in the dark, he knew this was the only way he'd be able to grab the spotlight for once and prove to his father that he too, has what it takes to be a person in charge. To be responsible for not just himself, but for the company, his father, himself.
 

"Just how in the world would marrying that girl help?" Jongin asked, although he knew his friend was a man of few words and whenever he says something, it usually means that the decision has been made in his mind and he, for the sake of being his friend, would break it to his best friend before the word got out. He'd take consultations, although it never really mattered since he'd never change his mind once made up. "Did your father put this up with you? Did he force you to do this?" Jongin had to admit, although he respected Mr. Oh, he was a man capable of anything.


Sehun shook his head, giving his answer with the gesture. "He mentioned it and I agreed with it." he spoke cautiously, as if someone was monitoring him. "I just need to talk to her." he said, standing up from his seat. "Where is she?"
 

Jongin had to scoff at that. "Why would she agree to marry you all of a sudden Sehun? She doesn't even know you for Christ's sake" he exclaimed exasperated. The plan seemed so forced and sudden. 

 

"She will." 

 

Jongin wasn't sure what his friend meant when he said that. Did he mean to say that she would marry him or that she'd eventually get to know him? Jongin never got his  question answered as said one had already made his way towards the girl. More like towards hell.

 

 

 

 

 

Areum sat stiffly in her seat as she watched Sehun from the corner of her eyes, holding the remote and switching the channel, finally stopping at Nat geo. They hadn't exchanged words since Jongin left a few minutes earlier. Although Jongin was a royal pain in the , somehow at least he had the decency to start a conversation.
Turning and twisting her beaded bracelet, Areum sighed a tired sigh before fixing the cushion behind her and placing her tensed hands on her knees.

 

"Just say what you want to say." Sehun suddenly called from his seat, eyes unmoving. 
 

"W-what?" Areum squeaked, clearing she spoke again. "What?"
 

"You've been staring at me for the past 30 minutes."
 

 

He noticed?
 

 

Hiding a faint blush creeping up her cheeks, she tucked the stray hair behind her ears. "You.. Se-- You."
 

"Sehun."
 

"Huh?" Areum tilt her head. "What?"
 

"Call me Sehun." he said as he slowly lowered the volume of the TV. "Now, what was it that you wanted to say?" the way he said it, he made it sound so important that Areum had to think over it again. 
 

"Se-Sehun, why aren't you sending me back to the basement?" she muttered softly, unsure of how he'd react. 
 

"What makes you think you were in the basement?" he asked instead. Although Baekhyun was one reckless person, Sehun knew for sure he wouldn't have let something like that slip. Such details like these had to be kept hidden from the captives, although Areum wasn't one any longer. He had to make sure it wouldn't be repeated again, since it could cause them trouble next time around.
 

"Well, I'm claustrophobic and I had a hard time breathing in there." Areum admitted, feeling suffocated with the mere mention of it. She'd tried so hard to make herself divert her mind from thinking that she was locked up in a confined place. It was like being buried in a coffin, alive. Wiping the sweat beads off her forehead, she flashed a small smile at him, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Besides.... When they took me out of there, we kept climbing up the stairs, not down." 
 

Sehun was impressed. Till now, of all their captives, none had ever been so diligent. Areum, on the other hand was on a whole other level. She could be put to a good use. He thought, putting on his poker face as he switched the TV off and turned to her.

"Why?" he asked, stretching his arm at the back rest of the couch. "Do you want to go back down there?"
 

Areum rigorously shook her head, gulping hard. She really appreciated how Sehun had treated her so far. If she had a choice, she'd never step a foot into that frigging dungeon again. "I-I, no.. Please Sehun. I was just curious, it doesn't mean i wanna go back there!" she pleaded helplessly and somehow, Sehun felt relieved knowing he was on top of his game, being the source of people's fright.
 

Standing up, he cracked his knuckles on the way, giving a nod towards the bedroom door. "Better start settling yourself in." he said before flicking her a card.
 

Areum struggled helplessly to catch the object but failed miserably. Her hand-eye coordination was just catastrophic. Bending down to swipe it off the carpet she realized it was a black card.
 

"S-seh--"
 

"Get yourself something. Anything." Sehun said in a monotonic voice. If his expression hadn't been so stoic, Areum would've actually believed that he was being sincere and really did care about her. 
Just as she was about to question him with a pointless query. He spoke again, shutting her up as her jaw dropped.

 

 

"You'll be living here from now onwards. Better try not to run off, again."

 

 

 

AN:
How has it been so far? It's really slow, I know. But, I just wanted to take my time in explaining the plot. Please understand.