Special II

Define Neverland
Please log in to read the full chapter
A special in-verse short story

 

“You can win back your love, young rakefire! Always be gentle at the breaking of your heart. Always be soft like crab without shell!”

“Screw you, Circus Man!”

 

They passed in front of the greenhouse. A group of boys around Zelo’s age were tending to plants and scribbling down their observations.

“Why have you consistently declined the opportunity to become a healer, Zelo?” asked the professor.

Zelo turned to the professor and said, “Forgive me, but I have been trained to kill people, not save them.” He watched the professor turn red.

“Of course. This way.”

The tap-tap of Zelo’s cane echoed loudly against the stone and did not falter when Brigham Tigress leaned over to murmur, “That was less than polite, Zelo.” His breath gust out hot against Zelo’s ear, a marked contrast to the chill air.

“The guilt overwhelms me,” said Zelo.

Brigham pursed his lips and did not offer any more opinions as they followed the professor down some stairs that looked like they led to a cellar. Dust rose in flurries from the ground with the movement of Zelo’s coat.

“It doesn’t look like anyone has been down here in—” Zelo started. Behind him, he heard a sharp thump and the distinct wet crack of a breaking bone. “Professor?” He turned and saw the professor crumpled on the floor like he’d been lashed to it, one of his legs bent in an odd way.

“Brigham, you idiot, this man is our only lead to finding Xiu.” When Zelo looked Brigham’s way again, he had a revolver pointed at Zelo’s head.

Zelo frowned and took two steps back.

“My apologies, Zelo, but I simply cannot allow you to proceed with the investigation,” Brigham said, his eyes glowed an unnatural coal-red for half a moment.

Lines on the floor flared up in response and Zelo widened his own eyes.

“The Seal of Solomon?” he asked, outraged. “What is wrong with you?”

He disregarded the revolver that was pointing at him and bent down to check the professor’s pulse.

Brigham laughed, a high-pitched hysterical sound. “Stop worrying about him. I suggest you abandon your search for Xiu, or this man will be dead in a moment.”

“Why would you do this?”

“My dear sister won you from Wendy Darling. A lowly man like Xiu has no right to you. So if you please, Zelo.”

“If you please. Don’t say things that invite misunderstanding,” said Zelo, wishing he was still young enough to give in to the urge to stomp his foot. “First of all, I am not some possession of Lily Tigress, and secondly, Xiu is my brother. Break the seal, Brigham.”

“I cannot. Binding spells do not work that way.” Brigham pointed the gun at the writhing professor. “What is the matter? The institute can replace him with just about anyone.”

“Brigham.”

“Promise you won’t go looking for Xiu any more. Promise to remain faithful to my sister.”

Blood began to leak from the professor’s nose and ears.

He could see Brigham Tigress still pointing the gun at him in his peripheral vision; Brigham was sweating, fat droplets running down his face, the whites of his eyes visible all around the pupils. His desperation stunk so badly that even Zelo could smell it.

“Xiu is dead, isn’t he?” Zelo asked, not looking at him. “Lily Tigress asked you to kill him, didn’t she.”

Brigham started, lowering his gun.

Taking advantage of this, Zelo brought his cane down hard on his hands. A shot rang out and Zelo grunted when a sharp pain seared through his shoulder, but

Please log in to read the full chapter