Present: Tough Love

Define Neverland
Please log in to read the full chapter
2014: TOUGH LOVE

 

“Okay, so what is this you are proposing?” Yongguk asked, quickly adding, “Sir?”

Beside him, Himchan fidgeted in the one person couch he was sharing with Jongup. Daehyun’s eyes were alert as if he was waiting for something to go wrong so that he could be the first to run for it. Their singer-guitarist, Youngjae, on the other hand, seemed at ease, with his leg cropped up on his other knee, one arm casually slung on the armchair, while the other balanced his face on his hand. His eyes were calculative as he watched the suit-wearing man talk to them.

CEO Kim had slicked black hair and high cheekbones. He was the very man who had recruited BAP into TS Entertainment, after an unfateful visit at one of the night clubs the rock band had their gigs. He had been there on business, as alongside him stood a senior rapper Yongguk respected very much. Untouchable hyung had been vehemently insisting to CEO Kim of this new sensation by the name of BAP.

That had been a few years ago, and at the time, the group was wary. However, every member trusted Bang Yongguk, who in turn, trusted the Untouchable hyungs. They were going to be signed into the same agency as Untouchable, what could go wrong? They were promised freedom in music, but chains by their ankles on everything else. An image would gain publicity. Good image, good publicity.

Any publicity was Good Publicity to BAP back then.

A better image, better publicity, would lead them to a better future—so they had signed. And they were not that far off from the truth.

Though, a better future would mean leaving behind the lifestyle they had known, they had to adjust. More precisely, no wild parties, no getting drunk nor getting seen while drunk, minimal night club visits, and getting laid was something they knew were out of bounds, although they had never spoken of it. BAP all had the idea that the last condition was included in the same package as the other forbidden things; written under the bold name, MAINTAIN.

Truth be told, with petty quarrels here and there, Yongguk thought they had done pretty well—too well in fact, now that CEO Kim was proposing a project they’d never even thought of doing, ever.

Hell would have to freeze over before they agreed.

Before Yongguk could put his thoughts together in order to come up with an appropriate response, Youngjae beat him to it. Yongguk was secretly relieved. Yoo Youngjae was the closest thing they had to a personal lawyer.

“Sir,” he began, clasping his hands together in front of him. “You are proposing that we, a non-idol band, is expected to partake in an upcoming variety program meant for idols?” he narrowed his eyes suspiciously, “Forgive me, but have you taken into consideration, the fact that BAP may receive backlash from the mainstream fans?” Youngjae tilted his head sideways, like he was mulling over a thought. Probably something that non of the other members could come up with within the span of this meeting. “I have a feeling you may have miscalculated due to recklessness, sir.”

CEO Kim continued to eye Yoo Youngjae in the way he’d always done whenever the band member stepped into his negotiator role. The CEO’s face would turn blank, but his eyes would glaze over the young man with curiosity, if not fascination. In fact, they all would. Yongguk and Himchan had known Youngjae long enough to know better than to gawk the way Daehyun or Jongup did. Or even the way Zelo would be dragged back, from his brooding, to the present by the mere intellect that showed who Yoo Youngjae was– was supposed to be.

“You have been gaining publicity, fans, interests,” CEO Kim pointed out. “It was only a matter of time before cable media require your presence. Rather than I having miscalculated,” he offered a knowing smile that Yongguk knew Youngjae hated, “I think you all have misjudged yourselves quite– rather gravely.”

Before any of them could object, the CEO straightened up and said in a patronising tone, “You, young men, may not see yourselves as ‘idols’, but I assure you, that is not at all what the public thinks. You are changing the way we view underground bands,” CEO said with new light in his eyes as he turned to Yongguk. “Self-made musicians, with enriched and genuine passion—without synthetic manipulation, without the dirty wads of deceits and cash under any table. The press does not view you badly, nor do they view you as ‘puppets’ as they so do with idols.” The man grinned winsomely at their blank faces. “This show, the producers have asked for BAP specifically– along with another big name, of course–”

“Who?” a sharp voice rang out from the back. The CEO stared over Yongguk’s head at the youngest member of the band. Zelo had been unwilling to sit as he soundlessly roamed through CEO Kim’s office, inspecting delicate furnitures and collections of books and albums. Now he was standing there, hands shoved inside his jeans pockets, his expression sullen and demanding. “Who else do they want?”

The CEO opened his mouth and nothing came out, as if still recovering from the shock of being addressed so rudely—though he should’ve gotten used to Zelo by now.

“Well?” the bassist prompted, cocking his eyebrow, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. “You’re making us go on this dumb show, the least you can do is tell us who we’ll have to put up with.”

That made sense, Yongguk thought, although the kid could’ve been less rude about it.

“It is not a ‘dumb’ show, Zelo, and–”

“Not the point,” Zelo cut the CEO off brusquely. “Just tell us who’ll be there.”

The superior man resignedly proceeded to go through the files, eyes scanning for the correct documents.

“If you must know,” CEO Kim sighed. “The cast list includes, two other male groups and two female groups as well as a soloist–”

“Soloist?” Zelo spat.

CEO Kim blinked, looking up from the paper, surprised at the venom in the bassist tone.

“Why, yes, the only name the producers specifically requested for; Juni–”

“We’re not doing it,” Zelo said immediately.

The members turned to him with a confused and bewildered expression.

“Zelo–” Himchan started, looking pained.

“I won’t do it,” he crossed his arms over his chest like a stubborn child. “There’s no way–”

“Why not? We still haven’t discussed this over,” Youngjae said calmly. “You can’t just decide anything on the spot–”

“Well, I’m deciding for myself. If you all want to do it, then, great! Have fun,” seethed Zelo, gesturing his hands indicatively. “But leave me out.”

Yongguk shut his eyes and willed to contain his frustration with the bassist’s stubbornness. He could feel the agitation bubble inside his very bones. It simmered down as he let out a low sigh, like a hot air of the kettle on the stove.

“Um…” Himchan mumbled, trying to fill in the silent tension.

Please log in to read the full chapter