Chapter 2

Project Jongdae

Jongdae thought hard about his first memory and it all flowed to him.“Taxi!” Jongdae yelled flagging for the large yellow car. “So where to, kiddo?” The man behind the wheel asked as he fixed his mirror. “Can you take me to this address please?” Jongdae asked handing the man a folded paper. “Sure can. What’s your name?” The man said, Jongdae could hear him smile. “Jongdae” He muttered, unsure whether he should have told this stranger his name. “So Jongdae where are from?” The man asks as he drives on a green light. “Korea” Jongdae stammered as he checked the time on his watch. “ Really? What brings you to China? Are you studying abroad?” The man asks popping a bubble in his chewing gum. “No actually i’m moving in at a friend of my parents house. My mother and father both passed away recently” Jongdae sighed, for some reason he felt safe in this mans cab. “Th-thats really sad, kid… Here do you want my kit-kat?” The man offered trying to hand Jongdae the candy. “N-No thank you, sir” Jongdae stammered, his feeling of safety suddenly disappearing. “What? But everybody loves Kit-Kat bars! It’s not foreign candy to you right?” The man scoffed.

“ No they sold them in Korea too”

“Then hurry up and take it!”

“No thank you, sir. I don’t really like eating” Jongdae said pushing the candy away. “Don’t like eating? Are you even human?!” The man laughs taking the candy back. “We are here anyway” The guy says taking a bite from the candy. The car slowly stops in front of a seedy looking repair shop. Its neon lights were barely readable and the white building was covered in dirt. “Are you sure this is the right place?” Jongdae asked. “It’s what the piece of paper said” The man mumbled through the Kit-Kat bar he was currently eating. “Weird” Jongdae thought “Even though i’ve never been here before, I almost feel… nostalgic for it. Well that can’t be a bad thing since this is going to be my new home.” Jongdae quickly paid and rushed out of the cab. Jongdae trudged towards the slightly open door. “Um h-hello?” Jongdae asked as he pulled his suitcase forward. “Oh, you must be Jongdae.” Jongdae was met with a boy who looked a little older than him with dark purple hair and a white shirt that was covered in car grease and motor oil. “U-Um, yeah!” Jongdae nodded, “The names Baekhyun, nice to meet you” He beamed. “Thanks! You too” Jongdae smiled back at him. “Junmyeon! Jongdae is here!” Baekhyun called out to a room on the far corridor. “I would shake hand with you but as you can see i’ve been out in the garage. “Oh no its fine” Jongdae smiled warmly.

“What happened to your parents is a real shame. Your parents actually knew ours in high school” Baekhyun said with a sorry look in his eyes. “R-really?” Jongdae asked as he fidgeted with his fingers. “Yup, After my dad graduated high school he moved to korea, got married, had me and moved here to start a business . I actually met Junmyeon here in-” Baekhyun was promptly cut off by someone else. “So this is him, Baekhyun?” A boy a little taller with red hair which reminded Jongdae of an apple stood in front of them. “This is Junmyeon. He is actually kind of like you, Jongdae. His parents also passed away when he was young” Baekhyun said introducing me to Junmyeon. “Oh- um h-hello” Jongdae stuttered, “Its nice to meet you, Jongdae” Junmyeon laughed ruffling Jongdaes hair with his hand. Jongdae smiled and was about to talk just when the phone rang. “I’ll go get that. Junmyeon, go give Jongdae a little tour okay?” Baekhyun called as he walked into another room. “Right this way, Jongdae” Junmyeon smiled at him tilting his head slightly, his smile brightening up the room. “The first floor is usually taken up by garages so I usually hang out on the second floor” Junmyeon began as he walked up the stairs. Jongdae stopped in his tracks and stared at a door close to the top of the staircase. He couldn’t move, he was petrified “Wh-What’s in that room, Junmyeon” Jongdae asked as he barely had the strength to move. “ Huh? Oh um… just storage space and some old stuff. Why do you ask?” Junmyeon said awfully fast. “ It… just sort of caught my attention. I don’t know why but I have a weird feeling about that room”. Junmyeon fell silent and looked a little off. His smile looking a little worried now. “Hey uh..um Junmyeon” Jongdae said, gently grabbing his arm. “yeah?” Junmyeon asked looking nervously at him”. “Can we be friends?” Jongdae asked quietly as a rosy blush danced across his pretty face. “Sure, Of course!” Junmyeon smiled widely and took his hand. “Junmyeons smile looked so happy and warm. But his eyes….. why did they look so sad?” Jongdae thought.