Chapter 5

Project Jongdae

Weeks later he still hadn't gotten any form of communication from The A.I Corp. “ Theres a box for you!” Baekhyun yelled to Junmyeon as he got home from school. “Really?” Junmyeon asked as he ran into the kitchen, met with a box that almost towered over him. “What the , Baekhyun this isn’t funny” Junmyeon sighed. “A guy named Jaejung brought it for you he says he was from the A.I Corp” Baekhyun said rubbing the grease off his hands. Junmyeon rested the box horizontally, got out a box cutter and began to cut open the box. When the job was done he opened the box to find the same robot he repaired, Jongdae laying in the box with only a bit of cloth to cover him up. Junmyeon picked up a flyer near Jongdaes hand that had his instructions on it. “say ‘good morning _____ ‘ and your android should wake up! (vice versa to power them down)” Junmyeon read out loud. “Good morning Jongdae” Junmyeon said. He waited for a response, Jongdaes eyes shot open. “Hello, master” Jongdae said sitting up a bit in his box, his voice silky and sultry. “w-whoa” Junmyeon stuttered. Jongdae stirred a bit in his box, he pulled Junmyeon closer by his shoulders. The hair at the back of Junmyeons neck stood straight and he froze up as he felt Jongdae’s chilly breath tickle his cheek. “what do you want me to call you?” Jongdae says, pressing his cold fingers into Junmyeons chest and Junmyeon can feel his entire body seizing up he mumbles out a reply, “J-Junmyeon is fine”. “Junmyeon eh? I like it, but can I call you hyung?” Jongdae says, he grins like a cat. his smile makes Junmyeons heart beat faster. “Junmyeon I don’t want to uh intrude on your love life but would you mind introducing me to the scantily clad boy in the box” Baekhyun says leaning against the doorframe of the kitchen, Junmyeon nearly jumps out of his skin “I m-met a guy after my robotics championship and he offered some money in exchange for me to fix this android”. Baekhyun lets out a hearty laugh and sauntered over to the two on the Kitchen floor, “I’m Baekhyun, Junmyeons friend” Baekhyun says as he put his hand out for the boy in the box to shake. Jongdae smiles and shakes his hand gleefully “Nice to meet you, hyung. My names Jongdae”. “So what can jongdae do?” Baekhyun asks leaning against the counter. Junmyeon purses his lips before answering,

“well um lots of things”

“Like what”

“He can cook and clean if you train him apparently”

“right and he’s not trained now so what can he do now”

“i’m- I’m still figuring it out” Jongdae stays silent during this and sits on his knees in the box. Junmyeon pauses before he adds “ Actually I know what he can do now, Recharge Jongdae” Jongdae looks at Junmyeon and proceeds to open a compartment in his upper arm filled with wires, he takes out a long cord and plugs it into the wall. As the prongs of the charger slide into the outlet Jongdaes eyes glow a soft blue. “Charging” Jongdae says. A silence hangs over the room. Junmyeon is waiting for Baekhyun to say something. “And um, just how many watts does he use to charge, junmyeon?”

“I- I don’t know?”

“What do you mean you don’t know?? If its over 300 than it would be like having another refrigerator! Do you know how expensive that is?”

“Okay bu-” Junmyeons most likely snarky reply is cut off by Jongdaes soft voice

“Charging complete” Jongdae proceeds to unplug himself and roll the cord back up into his arm. Baekhyun opens his mouth but then pauses. “Whatever, i’m going to bed, you should too” He says rubbing his face in a tired manner. Junmyeon nods and grabs Jongdaes wrist.

“Goodnight Junmyeon, Goodnight Jongda-” Baekhyun says waving his hand lazily but is quickly interrupted by Junmyeons yelling, “W-Wait, Don’t say that!” Junmyeon shouts. Jongdae’s eyes close and he slumps over, “wh- Did I just kill your android?” Baekhyuns mouth hangs agape as his eyes shift from Jongdae to Junmyeon.

“No it’s just” he sighs “He’s programed to uh shut off when you say that”

“Why would someone program him to do that” He indignantly huffs back. “Good Morning Jongdae” Junmyeon says and as soon as the last syllable leaves his mouth Jongdae straightens his back and he is filled with life once more, “Good morning Master! but… i’m afraid it’s not morning anymore” He says with a slight roll of the eyes. Baekhyun smiles and pats Junmyeon on the back “He’s cute just don’t him too hard” He says as he walks out of the Kitchen. He bids them goodnight making sure not to power off jongdae again. Junmyeon had turned an unflattering shade of red and sputtered random strings of words Jondae could not understand, “you want to me hard?” Jongdae smirks his breath just ghosting over the shell of the other boys ear. “N-No! I mean- Nevermind! Lets go upstairs” Junmyeon sighs taking the younger boys hand in his own. Junmyeon ushers Jongdae into his room, “I will get you some clothes to try on from my closet stay here, okay?” Junmyeon hurries himself out the door of his bedroom and picked up some old clothes that he suspected would fit the boy in the other room. He came back to his bedroom with a stack full of clothes for Jongdae, “I brought some clothes for you to sleep in, I don’t want you to catch a cold ” Junmyeon says. His jaw drops. “Wh-Why are you !?” Junmyeon says shielding his eyes from the stark boy in front of him. Jongdae chirps up “You said you wanted me to try on clothes, hyung” Junmyeon sighs and lowers his hand from his eyes. “yeah, Yeah I did” he hands jongdae the pile of clothes and urges him to put something on before he gets too chilly. Jongdae picks up a shirt and a pair of sweatpants and puts them on with minimal struggle. Junmyeon looks up and Jongdae. Jongdae pauses before saying “You should really smile more, hyung. You have a wonderful smile” Junmyeon blushes all the way up to his forehead and spews out a jumble of incomprehensible phrases along the lines of ‘you are cuter just go to bed’.

Jongdae lies down and curls the blanket around him. Waiting for Junmyeon to join him. “Are you sure this is… okay?” Junmyeon asks before sitting on the bed, Jongdae is his side, facing him. He smiles and nods. Junmyeon’s feels his heart swell when he sees the android’s ruffled hair and sleepy grin. Junmyeon lets out a cough and averts his eyes when he’s realized he was staring for too long and slips into bed next to the latter. “Are we going to sleep now?” Jongdae asks batting his long eyelashes at the boy next to him.

“Yes, we are”

“Goodnight Junmyeon” Jongdae mutters as he intertwines his fingers with junmyeon’s

He starts to blush again, “Goodnight Jongdae” Junmyeon closes his eyes as he hears Jongdae power off. He squeezes Jongdaes now cold hand. Cold. His hands were cold. As if he had been outdoors in the snow for a long time. It was unnerving but then again, of course his hands were cold he was, well he wasn’t really real. Although physically real he couldn’t feel quite as many emotions as Junmyeon could but still. He begins to wonder if Jongdae could feel love or cry but his deep thinking is cut off by sweet sleep taking him into its arms and letting it take him away.