Chapter 4

Natural Instinct


Hyuna went to visit Evo again the following day. She brought a whole basket of apples with her this time. Again, Evo was waiting for her at the edge of the forest and ran up to her as soon as she came into view.

"Evo! Like this? It's a whole basket just for you."

Hyuna sat on the ground and watched Evo eat the apples one by one.

"Aigoo, look how much you grew already. You're so big now! Eat a lot and grow healthy okay?" She told him as she his fur.

As usual, the king was watching from the wall that was refraining him. He continued to break it, little by little. Dara, who was watching from afar anxiously waited for any news of Taeyang. He had to arrive before the king broke the wall barrier.

"Evo, I had something weird happen yesterday. A glow appeared in my room and formed a figure of a boy. He kept calling me Arina and told me he finally found me. I tried to run away, but there were vines blocking me. Really weird right? I wonder who he was though," she told him.

Evo lifted his head for a second to meet her eyes, then sneezed.

"Evo!"

He snorted and went back to eating his apples. Hyuna giggled to see the reaction of the deer.

"It's that ridiculous huh."

Hyuna continued to talk to Evo, and he continued to give her reactions and eat, making Hyuna laugh. Her laugh was like music notes that were carried over by the wind. Dara heard it and smiled. 

{ She really does resemble Lady Arina}

"Miss Dara!! Sir Taeyang is here!!" A pixie informed her.

"Oh! Thank you!"

She quickly disappeared into the forest, leaving the king behind. What she didn't know was that the king had made a gap in the wall big enough for him to pass through and out of their territory.

"Evo, I must have brought a lot more apples than I thought, we still have a lot left! Do you still want to eat them?"

Evo just went over to the basket and started to eat another one.

"You must have a big stomach."

"He does."

Hyuna whipped her head around to see the king right in front of her.

"Hey Ari."

"Ahh!"

Hyuna was so surprised that she fell backwards.

"Ow..."

He quickly came over to her and helped her stand up again.

"Did I surprise you? I'm sorry."

"N..no it's fine."

He smiled,"Good."

"D..do I know you?"

"Ari.... It's me remember? It's Jiyong."

"But... I'm not Ari or Arina. I'm Kim Hyuna."

"Oh fine. I guess you like that name better than Arina now. I'll call you Hyuna. I like it anyways."

"Was it you in my room yesterday?"

"Yes."

Hyuna started to back away from him and turned around to run. She ran as fast as she could away from him.

"Wait!"

As she was running, the king ordered the vines to get her, and they sprouted around her and grabbed her arms.

"Vines?"

Suddenly, she was pulled back to a warm embrace, and she froze in her spot.

"Why do keep trying to run from me? Do you not remember me? I missed you so much, it killed me not seeing you everyday. Please, don't run from me again. I love you so much." He whispered into her ear.

"I..I.."

"Jiyong!!"

"Your Majesty!!!!!!"

They broke apart, and Hyuna fell to the ground as Jiyong turned around to the sounds of the voices. Taeyang and Dara were running towards them with worried expressions on their faces.

"Taeyang! When did you get here?"

Taeyang approached him while Dara went towards Hyuna.

"Um..."

"I'm so sorry, I promise to explain everything later. Are you alright?" Dara asked her.

Hyuna just nodded as Dara helped her stand up. 

"Jiyong you idiot. How could you scare a girl like that?" Taeyang scolded him.

"But she's Ari, or Hyuna now."

Taeyang sighed and shoved his face into his hands. 

"Come with me."

Taeyang dismissed the vines and dragged the king away. Dara sighed next to her and muttered something that she couldn't understand.

"Hyuna right? I'm really sorry about this, but if it's okay with you... Can you follow me?" She asked her carefully.

Hyuna, who was still in shock, just nodded, and Dara led her over to the barrier, which was now broken. Evo was suddenly next to them as they went inside. While Taeyang was yelling at Jiyong for scaring her, Dara brought some herbal tea out for her.

"It's suppose to make you relax, but the fairies aren't the best at making tea. The pixies are busy right now, sorry about that." Dara said, handing over the tea.

Hyuna gratefully accepted the tea and took a sip. They were sitting next to eachother on a wood log.

"So... I guess you're wondering what this is about."

"Yes..."

Evo was sitting by her feet eating the flowers next to him. 

Dara sighed,"Well, if you were just an ordinary human, I would erase your memory with Taeyang's help, but even if I do, you'll be drawn back here and everything will start back again. Hyuna, do you remember that story that your teacher told you. About that king and the nature fairy?"

"Yes, Mrs. Han told us when we were young."

"Well. There's your king."

 Dara pointed to Taeyang and Jiyong across from them. Taeyang, who was trying his best to talk to the king, and Jiyong, who wasn't listening at all.

"I know it's hard to believe, but it's him. The reason why he's so attached to you, is...well... You look exactly like the fairy he used to love."

Hyuna's eye sizes doubled,"Me?"

"Yes. Her name was Arina, and our king loved her so much. When she died, he was a mess, it felt like he changed into a completely different person. We thought it would get better, but it never did. That's why Taeyang has been traveling to find someone that could erase his memories about her. However, we never found anyone. Still we kept trying, but he found you. I was very surprised at how much you resembled her, even your voice and everything matches perfectly. Evo here was Lady Arina's deer. Where you found him, it's where he cries everyday for her. She named him Evo too." Dara explained.

"When he appeared in my room yesterday..."

"He used his powers to get to you. I didn't know he would take it that far, but he really misses Lady Arina. If it's not too much to ask... Will you stay here?"

"Huh?"

"Not forever, but until Taeyang and I can find a way to erase his memories. Please, or else he'll be wrecked for forever."

Hyuna was baffled. All in one day, a weird guy comes to her saying that he loves her, she's taken to a forest with weird creatures, and a person here is asking her to stay. Is she even human?

"B..but what about my mother? Dongwoon?"

"We'll let you out when the boy comes back. He's in training right? As for your mother, how about I put her to sleep?"

"No! I..I mean no thank you."

"Hmm...then I'll put her in a trance."

"A trance?"

"Yes, it will seem like you never left, and when you do comeback, the trance will disappear and everything will click perfectly."

"I don't know..."

"Please. It's the only thing that can keep him from wrecking himself further until it's too late."

Hyuna looked over to where the boys were, still the same.

She sighed,"Alright. I'll do it."

"Thank you!! I'll help you get around. By the way, I'm Dara, I'm a Kinie."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh right, I'm half fairy, half nature spirit. That there is Taeyang, who is full nature spirit, and that's our king. You know his name right? Jiyong, he's basically the ruler of everything, controls everything, and etc."

"Well, I'm Kim Hyuna, and I am human."

Dara smiled,"Hello Hyuna."

---- across the forest ----

"JIYONG YOU CRAZY IDIOT!!!!"

"Hey! I'm still king you know."

"I don't care if you're a king of this forest or the king of monkeys. What were you thinking? Didn't you even think for that poor girl?"

"Ar- I mean Hyuna's gonna remember me anyway."

"Jiyong. How many times do I have to remind you. Arina is dead. She gave her life for us, for you."

Jiyong chuckled,"Taeyang, what happened? Can't you see? Hyuna, which is what she wants to be called by now, is Arina. She's right there. Ta-da~" 

Taeyang was about to strangle him with vines, but Dara came just in time.

"Okay Taeyang. She'll stay."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Well... As long as I don't have to stay for forever, and as long as this forest stays safe, then I'll do it." Hyuna informed him.

"Thank you!! I'm Taeyang, but I guess Dara here already told you everything."

"I'm Hyuna."

Jiyong, who was watching everything, stood up.

"You want to be called Hyuna right? Not Arina."

"Um.. Yes?"

"Well, here."

He took the floral crown that Dongwoon made for her head, and replaced it with another one.

"It's the one that I made remember? Wear this, it was yours from the beginning." He said smiling.

He handed the other one back to her, grabbed her other hand, and started to walk deeper into the forest. Startled, Hyuna looked at the two behind. Dara smiled, and quickly went up to her.

"I'll keep this safe."

She took the other floral crown for her and let her get dragged deeper. They walked to the heart of the forest, where the spirit lake was. For a moment, Hyuna was mesmerized by the beauty of it. It was a crystal clear lake, and because of the trees, with a little bit of magic, it looked like it was night. Jiyong led her over to a bench, made of tree bark.

"You remember this? You loved it here, so I wanted to let you see it again. I think I kept it okay while you were gone." He told her.

Hyuna turned towards him. It seemed that he really loved Arina. She was sorry that she was not really her and that she would never come back. Jiyong looked back at here, and she turned away, but felt his hand grab hers. He lowered his head and rested it on her shoulder.

"Where were you. Don't you know how much I suffered? I missed you so much... Thank you... Thank you for coming back."

Hyuna didn't know what to do. It wasn't like she knew what happened before Arina died. She didn't know if she could really pull this off.

"Jiyong? This is really nice and all, but I have a request."

"What is it my love? Your wish is my command."

{Huh... So even kings use that line}

"Can we start everything over again? I mean... It's been more than a thousand years since I was gone, so let's start everything new."

Jiyong looked at her for a moment. For Hyuna, he stared at her like he was going to yell, but a second later, he smiled and stood up.

"All right. Hello my lady. My name is Jiyong, and I am the king of this forest," he said bowing in front of her.

Hyuna also stood up,"My name is Hyuna, and I am a nature fairy."

She curtsied to him. Jiyong's smile grew wider and asked for her hand. She gladly gave it out to him and they walked along the forest, starting all over again.

"Dara, do you think Jiyong's gonna be okay?"

"He has to be. Hyuna is just like Lady Arina, from the outside to the insides. I think her plan is nice, but the only problem we have left now is the wings."

"Wings.... God... What should we do?"

"Should we ask the fairies to cast a spell on her?"

"Spell for wings? Does that even exist?"

"I have no idea, but we have to try." She said.