Chapter 3

Natural Instinct

The next day, Hyuna came back with three apples in her hand. It had taken her awhile to find the new road again, but she had done it. As she was hoping, the young deer was there again, still crying. However, it stopped when it saw Hyuna approach.

"Hey little deer. I have some apples for you. Would you like them?" She asked.

She gave one of the apples to it, and instantly, it began to munch on it. Hyuna smiled and sat down in front of the deer. She watched it eat the apples one by one.

"You know what? I should give you a name. Hm..... How about Evo? You look like a boy, and for some reason, your fur on your back has hints of pale green on the tips. Do you like it?"

The deer stepped towards her and shoved his face forward to make her pet him. She laughed and hugged Evo, who was to be her friend from now. Of course, the king was watching this whole scene unveil in front of him. Carefully, without thinking, he made one of the branches reach out to her. Soon, the branch was about an inch away from her, and he formed it into a flower that his lost love always loved.

Hyuna, who was too busy playing with Evo, didn't notice the flower until Evo did.

"Is... Is that a flower? But... But nothing was there when I came. How could this be?"

Hyuna looked around in confusion, but there was nothing. Carefully, she lowed her hand to touch the flower that had appeared before her. It was beautiful, the most beautiful flower she had ever seen. Wait.

"Wait... I saw this flower before.... Where did I see it?"

Hyuna thought for a minute,"Right! It was in the story book! Oh, I've always loved this flower. I wished it was real, but I guess it is! It is truly beautiful once you look it in person. I want to take it home, but... I can't take it from it's nature, I'll leave it here. Hopefully, it'll still be here tomorrow."

The king smiled, he knew she would like it. It was her favorite flower after all. For the rest of the day, until afternoon, Hyuna played with Evo, and for the whole time, the king watched, until Dara found him. 

"My King!!!! Please, you must stop this. I've been looking al over our territory for you." Dara exclaimed.

"Oh Dara. It's fine. At least you found me, that's all it matters right? Look at her, she looks for happy. I...I want to go to her..." He said as he stepped forward.

Dara didn't even try to stop him. She knew this was going to happen, so she made an invisible wall with the powers of all the nature spirits. Of course it wasn't strong enough to keep him in forever, but it would do for now. The king stepped forward until he was blocked. In slight shock, he spread his hands on the wall and looked around.

"W..what is this? Dara?"

Dara sighed and stepped forward.

"Taeyang helped me make it. It's a wall that we made to keep you in here. Sir, with all due respect, you can't leave our territory. We'll let the deer come back in after the girl leaves. However, please, please do not try and make an approach to her. She is not Lady Arina. How.. How many times must we remind you?"

However, he didn't even listen to her. He kept knocking on the wall, and sparks of magic were appearing through his fingers. Dara sighed and motioned for a pixie to come to her.

"Yes Miss Dara."

"Call Taeyang please. He needs to return sooner than we thought. Tell him the king already made a gap in our wall."

"Yes ma'am," the pixie replied before flying away.

Soon, the sun had set and Hyuna went home. Dara opened a part of the portal, so that Evo could come back. Meanwhile, the gap that the king had made started to get bigger. However, it wasn't big enough to let him go though. Taeyang had messaged her that he would arrive tomorrow as soon as possible. Taeyang was a nature spirit, and the king's best friend. He and Dara had served the king for years. After the disaster, Taeyang had gone in search of others who could make the king forget his painful memory, but no one could do the task.

"Your majesty... You are tiring yourself. Please stop this and go to sleep."

He was already half asleep anyway. Dara ordered the gentle winds of the west to pick him up and bring him to bed. He was already asleep by the time he was laid down. Dara just covered him with a blanket made of soft leaves and flower petals and watched him sadly. She wanted to know about the human girl. She really did look exactly like Arina, yet Dara knew it couldn't be her. However, Kinies did have a strong sense of curiosity.

"I'll find out who she is your majesty." She whispered before leaving his bedside.

(Hyuna)

Dear Dongwoon,
 Your mother told me today that you'll be fine for at least two weeks for the beginners' training. I wish I could see you, but the guards won't let me because you guys have to train. Honestly, I don't think you have to train because you are an amazing fighter, have a hawk eye, and protective of things you care about. Don't you think so? Hehe. I met a deer in the woods yesterday. He really loves apples, so I'm bringing him some everyday. I bet we're gonna have a apple problem by the looks of how fast he eats each one. I named him Evo. Pretty isn't it? He seemed to like it too. Oh, and I saw a flower in the woods today, but it looked exactly like the one in the story Mrs.Han told us. I'm going to take good care of it! I heard you have a break after the two weeks. You better come and see me Dongwoon, or else! I miss you a lot, and be safe while training!
Love,
 Hyuna

Hyuna closed the envelop and sealed it. She would hand deliver it tomorrow at the city and buy some more apples for Evo. Although, there was one thing still on her mind. She was sure that the flower she found wasn't there when she first came. She didn't get how it could have appeared so fast.

"Arina."

Hyuna thought it was her mom calling and went outside.

"Mom, did you call me?"

"Hmm? No sweetheart. I didn't say anything."

"Oh..."

Hyuna came back into her room and sat down on her desk again.

"Arina."

Hyuna turned around again to find a glow in the middle of her room. Then, it started to grow bigger and bigger until it was a size of a human. Hyuna was too stunned to do anything except stare.

"Arina."

"Uh....um..."

"Arina, I finally found you."

---- Dara ----

"Miss Dara! Miss Dara!!!"

"Hm? What's wrong?" She asked.

"I am terribly sorry to bother you when you are in the middle of trance to gather your energy, but...."

"Why? Something's wrong right? Tell me."

"H...his majesty. He's communicating with the human girl. We tried to stop him... But he's needing more energy than usual, so he started to use some of ours. We weren't strong enough... I'm so sorry." 

The pixie broke down in tears in front of her.

"It's all right. I'll stop him. I was wondering why it too me longer than normal to gather my energy. Where is he?"

The pixie led her to where the king was sitting in a trance state. The other creatures were around him. Dara quickly went over to him and tried to reach him through her mind.

---- Hyuna ----

"Who...who are you? What are you?"

The figure chuckled as he stepped closer to her.

"Don't play that game with me Ari. You know it's me right? I missed you so much." He said as he stepped forward to hug her, but stopped in his tracks.

"My king!"

A voice rang out through the room and the figure froze. Hyuna took this moment to run to the door, but when she lifted her hand to the doorknob, she found it covered in vines.

"What's going on?!"

---- Dara ----

"Miss Dara!!" The pixies yelled as she groaned in pain.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. His majesty is being stubborn as usual. The girl though, I'm worried. She must be shocked, and the king doesn't seem to go away."

"Dara. Leave me. I finally found Arina. Although she seemed to playing another game with me. She said she doesn't know me, but she's just joking, I know it."

"My lord please!!"

---- Hyuna ----

Hyuna looked at the figure again, but it was still frozen. She tried to rip the vines off, but they were stronger than the vines she used to know. Panicked, she tried to get as far as she could away from the glow.

"Ari."

The figure had unfrozen and was moving towards her.

"S..stop it! Don't you dare come closer."

"Arina. Come on, stop playing games with me." 

He had laughter in his voice. Hyuna looked at his face closer and did see a smile on him. 

"I..I'm not Arina, if that's who you are looking for. I'm Hyuna, Kim Hyuna." She slowly said. 

"Aw Ari. Did you change your name to stop me from recognizing you?"

He was in front of her in an instant, forcing her to crouch down and lean as much as she could to the wall. Being this close to her, she could she his facial features. She looked at him in curiosity, forgetting her fears for a moment.

"Still, I found you. I knew it was you as soon as I saw you. I missed you so much, you know that right?"

He hugged her, and she tensed up in surprise, but the hug was surprising warm.

"Thank you.... Thank you so much for being alive."

"Um..."

"MY KING!!!!!!"

The voice rang out much more stronger and louder this time, and the figure disappeared. Hyuna stared into space. She let out a breath she was holding and slumped down. She hugged her knees and cried, because of shock and she didn't know what just happened.

---- Forest ----

The king was back to his throne, smiling while Dara sighed. She was watching Hyuna through the water glass that the water fairies had created. She felt sorry and bad for scaring the little girl.

"Your majesty, why did you do that?  Look at the poor girl, she's in shock. If I hadn't brought you back sooner, who knows what would have happened."

He didn't listen to all single word she said. He was too busy smiling.

"Dara, I saw her. Arina told me her name was Hyuna, maybe that's her new name, but I love it. You remember right? I tried to name you Hyuna when you were young."

Dara winced at the memory,"Yes, I remember. You loved that name because you said it reminded you of a flower. The queen had to convince you for a week that my name was Dara, and it would stay that way."

"Yes...well, I don't care if Arina changed her name to Hyuna. I like it just as much."

With those words, the king closed his eyes. Dara looked at him, then back at the water glass. Hyuna had stopped crying and was throwing away the dead vines at he door. Taeyang was coming tomorrow. Just one more day, and everything will be fine.