My Reward

Dangerous Dreams

Jessica’s POV

 

“Pleeeeeaaaseee!” I knew I was acting desperate but I needed my best friend to give in.

“Ahh Jessica don’t give me that face.”

“But I need you to come with me!!!”

“She is your favorite singer but not mine.”

I was getting a little frustrated with my friend, “Minyoung...why can’t you just come to keep me company? I mean that guy from Shinee is also going to be there.”

“But I like Key not Jonghyun...”

“What do you have to do that is so important anyway?”

“Nothing but I don’t want to be surrounded by a whole bunch of fangirls for almost the whole day.”

Trying to look cute and desperate wasn’t working so I thought bargaining would be the next best option, “Fine...if you come to this with me, I will go to that Beyonce concert thing that is going to happen sometime this year with you.”

Finally I saw her eyes light up, “Really?! You mean that? I mean you can’t go back on your word now.”

“I won’t, so does that mean you will come with me to the fansign?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world!” She flashed me a smile which I knew wasn’t for the fansign but for that concert with Beyonce.

 

Several days later Minyoung and I were in line to meet my favorite idol, Kim Taeyeon. I don’t know if it was her voice or how cute she looked that got me hooked initially but right now I loved her for her dorky personality. Kim Taeyeon was always on my mind like a drug I couldn’t get enough of. However, this would be the first time I get to meet her in person. Why did I not take hold of this opportunity earlier? Well I just arrived in Korea with Minyoung after our college studies but when I heard Taeyeon would be having a fansign, I quickly bought two tickets knowing I could convince Minyoung to come with me eventually.

Ah the line is moving forward! “Minyoung get off your phone and pay attention!” I started pushing my friend forward.

“Ah Jess you should just be happy I am here. Why do you have to be so pushy?”

“I can’t help it. I am just excited!”

“When does this thing start?”

“I don’t know. It is my first time going to things like this.” Minyoung sighed at me but she became happier when she saw the two singers come up on stage. I of course screamed Taeyeon’s name when she came out like everyone else. I was so excited to see her that words couldn’t even explain.

We moved forward slowly but surely. I felt the air becoming thinner the closer I approached her. The closer I got, the more it seemed like I was living a fantasy. I finally approached her so I blurted out the first thing that was on my mind, “Hello unnie! I really love your voice!” Somehow I regretted saying that...I hated to embarrass myself in front of my idol. I wasn’t sure if I said something surprising or not but she wasn’t responding,

 “Unnie? Can I have your signature?”

She finally looked down at the paper and then back up at me, “Yes…Umm what is your name?” I was so focused on her flawless skin that I almost didn’t hear her.

Again I blurted out my answer, “Jessica! My name is Jessica.”

I was still flushing from another outburst but she didn’t seem to mind and continued conversation with me which made me feel more relaxed, “Are you from the states?”

I was so happy she asked a question that wasn’t hard to answer, “I was born there but moved back here.”

When she was finished signing, she handed me the paper but I really wasn’t sure if what I was looking at was meant for me or not. These numbers were foreign but it seemed to be the right amount for a Korean phone number. I looked back at her questionably but she just answered, “Really…I really mean it.” What the heck is that supposed to mean?! Is this a phone number? More importantly, is this her phone number? I had so many questions but the other fans were waiting so I quickly put the paper in my bag and ran to Minyoung to ask her what this meant.

After looking around I found Minyoung, “Jessica! There you are. What took so long?”

I started pulling her away from the fanmeet area so we could talk privately, “I have something to talk to you about.”

“Didn’t you want to stay longer?”

“I need your help with something.”

We finally made it to a small café near the location were at. I didn’t say a word until we found a quiet corner, “You have to see this.” I pulled out the piece of paper Taeyeon signed and left those numbers.

“You seriously pulled us away to show me that you got her signature. Did you want me to show you the same signature I got from her too?”

“No look at these numbers here. Is that a phone number?”

Minyoung looked at the paper, “Why would Taeyeon give you a phone number? That doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it is a Korean code thing like how they do 55555 for laughing.”

I leaned back in my chair, “Humm I guess you are right. It wouldn’t make sense for her to give me her number.”

“So what did you want to do today?”

I just realized I left the fanmeet early, “I suppose we can’t get back in?”

“Probably not...how about I buy you ice cream? I know you are upset now that you left early.”

I smiled at my friend, “you take care of me so well.”

“Someone has to.”

 

Day two…I woke up late since it was the weekend and I was tired from a club Minyoung took me to later that night after the fansign. I was still tired but I still got up hoping to see Minyoung out of bed too but the apartment was silent. I assumed that she was still sleeping so I started staring blankly at the TV but sleep was consuming me again so I fell back to sleep. It was one nice lazy day...

 

Day three…After a restful day, I was energized for work! Why I was in Korea was because of fashion. To be exact, I am one of the stylists for JYP entertainment’s actresses. How I got this job was mostly because of Minyoung because she is an actress for JYP. She has been working for JYP since she passed an audition while we were in the states maybe around middle school. She had been traveling back and forth for a year now after taking a break to receive her degree in the USA.

After finishing her degree, she was already casted to be in another drama but this time I moved with her when she said one of the stylist jobs opened up. Today was the second week on the job and I was adjusting well. Since I had a degree in fashion, I skipped some of the lower jobs and moved up to being a regular stylist but I was still training at the moment.

The actress I was styling today had an event late that night so it was a long day that I pretty much fell asleep after my head hit the pillow.

 

Day four…I picked out the outfits for the actress today but that was all that I needed to do. My eyes wandered to the paper with Taeyeon’s signature. I was still curious about the numbers so I typed them into the computer to see if it was a Korean code for something but nothing came up. After thinking a while, I decided to call the numbers. I mean it would be strange to get a stranger on the line but I wanted to try it out. The phone started ringing and I heard the a girl answer...it definitely sounded like Taeyeon. In my head I connected the dots rapidly that Taeyeon actually gave me her number. Before she hung up, I needed to answer quickly, “umm unnie? This is Jessica.”

 “I remember. So umm this is your number.” I was surprised she was so direct with her answers.

“Y-yes it is.”

“Did you want to have coffee with me sometime?” I really wasn’t sure if I heard her right but I again blurted out an answer.

“Of course I will!”

I felt so embarrassed when I heard her laughter on the other line, “Alright. Does tomorrow morning at 9am work for you?”

I knew I couldn’t turn down the precious offer but my job was still new, I couldn’t skip that either. I quickly pulled out may planner and thanked the gods for giving me a practically empty schedule that day, “I can make it work.”

 “I will text you the location later.”

“O-okay…bye…” I said in almost disbelief of what happened. I was about to hang up the phone but I heard her voice again.

“Jessica?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

“Thank you for what?”

“Calling me back…I will see you tomorrow.”

I finally caught my breath after she hung up. Dreaming or not, I needed to tell Minyoung about what just happened. Kim Taeyeon...the Kim Taeyeon just asked me out. What girl wouldn’t be happier at this moment?