A trip to the bookstore

Exchange Aliens

Kyu Hyun’s POV

“So you like your room huh?” Hm, falling down the bed. Must be very painful. “You looked shocked. Calm down, just your Kyu Hyun oppa.”

 

“Uhm… How did you get in?”

“I’d been here for 6 hours already, waiting for you guys. Ahjussi threatened me to stay here just to see if you like the design, or he’d cut one third of my salary. But seriously, thirteen of you and none noticed the missing huge lock at the front? Or that mysterious black car in the garage?”

“Uhm… no. Sorr-”

“That lock is just a more secured measure. We actually use a code lock. And you parked the car in a dark corner, nobody noticed it.” The D.O. kid cuts in. “But I think you shouldn’t stay in one’s bedroom for hours also.” Either he’s a good actor, I’m getting worse at reading people or he’s only being honest because he looks so. Most likely the third one. We all know what the deal is with Exotics, no kindness.

“Anyway, happy with the rooms? No wait, you’re too nice to answer. D.O. ssi, you’re happy with the kitchen right?”

“It’s actually not very modern. Uh, I don’t use gas cooker. It’s dangerous and not that effective. And the cabinets arrangement aren’t very scientific. You should never pu-”

I cut him off before he goes on. On second thought, asking Rachel is better. I’m too tired and bored to deal with this [censored]. And of course she answers yes. Typical.

“Well I’m going. Bye. And D.O. ssi, I hope that kitchen is sufficient for your feminine hobby, cooking, and that Chen too.” Of course, I’m smart enough to understand that he wasn’t being mean, but rather ignorant of other’s feeling. But hey, who can resist giving sarcasm? Certainly not me.

“How do you know about us so much anyway?”

“Kidding me? Your organization sent us tons of documents, pictures, videos of you twelve months before you arrived. You know what we call you? Teaser kings. Like… Seriously?” At first, when they sent us simple profiles, I had to study it, just to get to know them for later use. Then they started sending pictures, videos and more info every [censored] week. And you know what the worst parts was, I’m one of the guys who had to write their profiles on our database. You know the feeling when you have to update something every week just to add some little thing. Even worse, they sometimes sent us videos or pictures just to know how the twelve look, like we hadn’t known that and I have absolutely nothing to update yet I still had to watch it whole? Yeah, that feeling.

“What happens oppa? You look angry.”

“I’m furious actually, remembering the past months.” I respond with a sarcastic smile.

I’m tired.

…I need a drink.

---------

Lay’s POV

We have to go to school next week. The principal said we had to start right away so we wouldn’t be too far behind everyone. It was only 2:30 PM, still quite early, so we decided to go shopping for school materials, and maybe try some food.

“Are you sure this place sells good stuff. It looks too deserted. A good bookstore wouldn’t be so empty.” Kris ge asks, being the cautious leader. I actually think this place looks nice. And I get tired easily these days so I don’t want to go to somewhere further.

“Oh, this place is actually more a hangout spot for ETS students. This place is quite near ETS and somehow other schools’ students don’t go here. But I can assure you that this store sells high-quality things.”

“I figured that you’re what we Exotics like to call a goody-two-shoes. You always compliment things or don’t say bad things to others. So be honest, I can’t really trust that. But we’ll see.”

“What the big deal? It’s just some stuffs to buy. I want to go inside now! Those bags look stunning!”

“And that corner look so cute!”

“See you later then slowpokes!”

The hyper ones in our group of course just run into the store… Nothing surprising there.

“You’re not buying anything anyway. I think you should go selecting things with me. I have hard time choosing things.”

“Oh sure oppa. So, uhm… what should we start with?”

“Actually… We didn’t go to “Earthy” school back on EXO planet. We have virtual class, which I’m sure was rather different. So it’s best if you instruct us on what to buy.”

“Hm~ Ok then. Well, I guess we should start with the backpacks…” We then all follow her to the 3rd floor, where the half left are rows of backpacks, suitcases, bags…

“Hello, do you need any assistance with choosing products. If you do, may I introduce you-”

“No thanks. We’d rather choose what to buy ourselves instead.” Su Ho hyung speaks for all of us.

“Oh God. Sorry miss. Uh… He…” Hae Ri nervously apologizes to her for our behavior, which I find confusing.

“Yah Huang Zi Tao! You can’t buy that one! We can only afford a moderate, equal amount of money for each member to buy school supply! Don’t you understand that we need to save money? That goes for all of you. Save as much as possible or else I’ll leave you starve!” Me and the others keep silent. We all hate it when Kris, Su Ho and Xiu Min hyung whenever they give us lectures like that. Not like we forget those lessons. And it was only Tao who was greedy to choose an expensive one, not us.

“Uhm… That was harsh Kris oppa. It’s ok. Tao, you just have to get a cheaper one.”

“No, Kris ge is right jie. I was reckless and didn’t think through at all.” Good then. Looks like Tao wouldn’t be so careless like that for a long time. I really don’t like scolds and negative energy. Peacefulness is always good. That’s why I like Hae Ri a lot. She gives off a nice and soothing aura. Same as Xiu Min ge and Lu Han ge, most of the time. Still, although she’s very nice in both human and exotics standard, she would have trouble surviving to be honest.

“Oh hey, that purple one is very nice. You choose that?” Speaking of her. “…That’s a good choice" Oh dear, what should I say? "…Uhm …So I guess you’re done here?”

Your POV

Well, I guess he’s an introvert. He doesn’t talk much.

“Kris oppa, don’t you buy something?”

“He only likes to use his old bag. He never parts with it, like ever.” Baek Hyun oppa cuts in. Oh really? That sounds cute. Kris oppa is the reminiscing type then. “Same goes with Kkamjjong here. He only uses brown paper bags.”

“Like really, they just don’t update their bags. I’m sick of seeing them already.”

“Like you are any better Chen. You only use clutches.”

“Yeah? Well, clutches are only for fabulous people. Not everyone can look good with clutches like me.”

“Hey! I look good with anything!”

The bickering between Baek Hyun oppa and Chen is really cute. I try to cover but I still can’t hide my chuckling. They’re like children! I always want to take care of children.

Oops.  My motherly instinct comes out again.

“Kris oppa, Kai, I really think you should buy backpacks anyway… or large, convenient bags are fine too. You’ll need them for all your books, note pads, pen… And you’ll use them throughout the school year. So…”

“Oh, I see. Don’t worry, just wait a minute, I’ll come back ASAP.”

“Yeah… Like he can come back in an hour when shopping for something.” I hear Baek Hyung whisper to Tao, which makes my lips curl upward. Having close friendship like this really feels good.

After we’re all done, I then lead them to the other half of the 3rd floor to buy electronic school supplies, specifically calculators. Advanced mathematics totally need them.

“So this is how the old day’s calculators look like.”

“Se Hun, look at this! This looks exactly like the simple calculator we made for engineering class isn’t it?”

“It does! Wow~ Never thought I see those outside of our elementary school.”

“You build one of these in elementary school?”

“Yes. It’s our final project in fourth grade actually. I don’t even see stores sell these since they’re so old and useless in everyday life. Wow, this antique section sells good stuff!”

“Uhm… Su Ho oppa, this is the newest section…”

“Oh~ Wow, Earth’s technology is that far off from us?” Good thing there are nobody else but us here. Or they’ll consider us crazy! But wow. Exotics must have developed extremely advanced things. I should ask EXO about them someday. I’m so curious.

Anyway. I help them to pick one for each. The good thing is that they all know how to use the calculators. The bad thing is it seems that I have to read the instruction book again, they’re too many useful tricks that I don’t quite catch on just yet.

After about three hours, we’ve finally finish buying all the necessary things for school. Phew! This is tiring, but fun! Shopping with thirteen people is really a handful.

“Hey, I forgot, do any of you remember to bring your student ID? I don’t have mine.”

“No. I didn’t think it would be important. Why?”

“Uh, it’s alright Su Ho oppa. I need the student code so we can get a discount. But I’m a regular here. I’m sure they’ll understand. Don’t worry… Kang In oppa? You’re working here?”

“Oh, it’s for a mission actually. So… all of these?” I nod. This is nothing strange since this has happened many times. An angel averagely has 5 to 7 jobs just for missions. I have done 3 myself, with the latest as a retail shop worker, to kind of keep an eye on a regular guess of that store. They said she might be keeping the Dream Stone. She didn’t, which made me feel terrible for following her like that.

“With cash, card and cheque?”

“Card please oppa.” I then hand him my card, and press the password. Of course the money is for EXO, but they entrusted me with the card to pay for them. “Oh, oppa. I forgot to bring me student ID, but… I’m sure you understand oppa. Can you give us a discount?”

“Of course. Sure. The owner reminds this too. He said even if one doesn’t bring their ID, if I’m sure they’re a ETS student I will give them a discount. Besides, this is for your mission and ahjussi will cut my head off if I don’t help you with this. So, do you bring enough bags for all of these, or you’ll pay extra for bags for all of these.” Of course I remember to bring this bookstore’s eco bags. Seven extra-large ones. Save the environment, save the money too due to the bookstore’s ecofriendly policy. Although, I’m not sure they can hold all of these. We should arrange things logically so they can fit.

“Yah kids. Help us putting the products in these bags. They’re for you too! Stop hanging there reading comics!”

“Yes Kris hyung/ge.” The maknaes and Chen responds, sulking. I guess they really like comics. Such babies~

“Oh Lu Han oppa, don’t put backpacks in. We put the others in first. In case the bags aren’t big enough, one or two of us will have to hold them.” I gently told oppa. That’s the only way all of those will fit the bags.

So we’re done!

Ok.

“Since the bags are large and heavy, two would carry one, except Xiu Min hyung and D.O., the strongest two of us. So… take pairs now.” With Su Ho’s command, we form pairs: Lu Han oppa – Se Hun, Kris oppa – Tao, Su Ho oppa – Lay oppa, Baek Hyun oppa – Chan Yeol, Chen – Kai. That leaves me then. I guess I’ll carry the backpacks. I only need them loaded on my arms…

“Thanks guy. Ok ok, I got this.” Wow, this is so much heavier and harder than I expected. Twelve backpacks are no joke. But I’m the lead cheerleader, I can’t give up this easily. I’ve been through worse.

“So we’re done right. Let’s go guys.” As Su Ho oppa orders, we walk out the door.

“YAH!!! Stop. It. Right. There.” Kang In oppa suddenly yell from the cashier desk. “Yah! Are you guys men? How could y’all make a girl do the hardest part?” Oh, oppa is so nice. But really, it’s okay. I can handle this easily. I’ve trained for things like this.

“Well, each of us all has a job, and this is hers. I don’t think it’s really the hardest job she’s doing anyway. The division is very objective, fair.” Su Ho oppa genuinely confused.

“But you let a girl work this hard?”

“Gender doesn’t matter. We’re all equal aren’t we?”

“Ah oppa, it’s fine! Really!” I cut in before Kang In oppa can scold them more. “I’m happy with this. And it’s a bit late, we all need to go home now to prepare dinner. On cue, me and EXO leaves. I look back and see oppa is still fuming mad. Sorry oppa. You’re always the gentlemen type…