My Friends

Clarity and Articulacy

Chapter 2 – My Friends
_______________________________________________

 

Introducing my freedom fighters.

 

BG MUSIC ]

     Buttons done, sleeves folded up. Taehyung fixed his diagonally striped tie in the mirror and admired his look. He smirked – the smirk guys gave themselves when they knew they were good-looking. And ask anyone at B.H., Taehyung was beautiful. Like a candle in the dark, his orange hair attracted attention from all directions. And he took it coolly. At first he was uncomfortable about all the squishes and pushes up against walls from countless of girls of different heights and ages; now he’s fine with it. Besides, they didn’t really affect him that much…since, well, he wasn’t straight – not that they needed to know that anyway.

 

     “Just once? Come on.” His hyung tugged at his sleeve.

Taehyung sighed deeply, his eyes showing irritation. “No.”

“But you’ve been to my house like a thousand times!” Jimin protested, his pitch increasing to that of a ten year old’s.

“Hyung, drop the topic. It’ll never happen.” The younger stood up, his chair screeching against the floor. Jimin watched Taehyung leave the room, still clueless as to why he always became short-tempered when anything regarding his family was brought up.

 

     …but despite his complicated family history, there was one person who kept the light of the candle burning on during his childhood years: his mother. She was restricted to giving him too much care, especially in front of his father and numerous uncles who took pride in their hidden scars below their sleeves. But she loved him, and he knew it. She meant well for him. If there was anyone who allowed Taehyung to be who he really was when he could, it was her. And the eighteen year old truly believed that the good in him, as little as it was, was given by her, to which he was grateful for.

Taehyung probably doesn’t even know it himself, but deep, deep down inside, he’s still got the base of a kid in him. He longs for adventures and journeys with friends of his age, where they hunt for hidden treasure and fight off villains like imaginary pirates. Then later in the sweet evening, to ride away on their majestic horses back to their homeland, sipping on strawberry milkshakes in celebration of their victory, with the beautiful sunset by the waterline as their glorious setting.  And since his home was like a prison to him (with only one person worth his time) he nicknamed his friends his Freedom Fighters secretly. Maybe one day, they will all be able to break free and go on to live honourable, admirable lives as heroes of the country.

BTS – that’s what his friends call themselves, their music group. It stands for Bangtan Boys; Bulletproof Scouts. Taehyung admits he found the name catchy, but symbolically it meant nothing to him as of now, because a bulletproof vest doesn’t stop you from being slit at the throat, nor does it stop you from being sliced and quartered into pieces.

Guns are for police, the good guys. And Taehyung was never destined to be the good guy.

The group’s message behind their name is to be the protection for the generation’s dreams and inspirational thoughts; to guard beliefs that are constantly rejected by stereotypical society. Taehyung often laughs at that. He doesn’t mean to mock his fellow students, it’s just a rare thing to hear for him. To be completely honest, he doesn’t actually find much interest in singing and dancing, he’s just lucky he’s good at it. He likes his friends, and he enjoys their company. Jin, the oldest – he’s Taehyung’s shoulder to lean on when he’s down. Rap Monster, the leader – he’s Taehyung’s motivation to do better for the group’s sake. Suga, the grandpa – Taehyung sees him as the enthusiastic hip-hop loving grandfather he never had. J-Hope, always hopeful – he’s the one who Taehyung feels the most comfortable around because he showers him with care. He reminds Taehyung of his own mother and often seeks consoling from J-Hope when he misses her too much. Jeongkook, the youngest – he’s the most passionate in the ‘talent’ side of the group because he works so hard. Taehyung’s able to tell him ‘random’ stories and have the maknae be completely obvious to the references Taehyung makes to his own family. And lastly, Jimin. Taehyung often gets stuck when it comes to describing the baby-faced boy. It’s as if he’s some poison that makes Taehyung stutter and go red each time they talk and hold hands. He’s only two months older than Taehyung but he’s a lot shorter, and Taehyung likes to think that Jimin’s skill in flipping is nowhere near his. It’s strange. He constantly has the urge to get closer to the raven-haired, and internally flares up when other people are around him too much. Safe to say, Taehyung doesn’t understand his growing feelings for the group’s charm yet, and he may never know until the day when Jimin’s life is at risk – the day a blade is put to his throat.

 [ BG MUSIC ]

It’s weird since every other male in Taehyung’s family was either abusive, cunning or manipulating, and yet he wounded up being gay. Oh well, at least it meant there would only be one woman in his life – his lovely mother. He loved her, he loved her from his soul, and he loved her to bits. She was everything to him: the only spark of hope in darkness, the only smile among a sea of frowns and the only warm hand in a cold house of rough lives and of bloody reputation. But luckily Taehyung didn’t have to worry about all of that for the time being, because he lived in the school’s dorms. And his roommate..?

“Kook-ah, swap with me.”

The maknae shook his head, placing photo frames on his new desk.

“Come on, you can share a room with Hope hyung.”

“So? I like Jimin hyung better.” Jeongkook said, scrambling through his suitcase.

Taehyung stood with a hand on his hip and the other ruffling the back of his head.

“I’ll buy you cookies for the whole year.”

That sentence triggered the dark-haired boy’s interest. His lifted his head and Taehyung noticed the distinct rise of eyebrows on the maknae’s face. Yes.

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Jeongkook smiled and immediately began packing up his stuff all over again into his suitcase, leaving the room for Taehyung’s occupancy…as roommates with Jimin.


_______________________________________________
Author's Note // Chapter 2 up~! Hope you guys enjoyed it :) Please leave a comment to let me know how you guys feel. :) 

I have more ideas flowing in so please stay tuned for the action coming up :)