Chapter 7

Stream of Love

May 28 2012

The Three Words

Two years had passed and you finally came back from America after 18 months of absence. This seperation had been tough, but we kept in touch and our faith in each other kept our relationship going. You had yet to say the three words to me, but I did not push you. I knew how much they meant to you and that you were weary due to past unsuccessful and heart-breaking relationships. I knew you needed to take you time and think deeply about our relationship. I was, I admit, impatient at times and could not totally understand you. But I wouldn't argue. I didn't want any more fighting. Besides I soon understood, that for you they meant a lifetime commitment, that you were probably not ready to make.

Yes, I was disappointed.

Because, meanwhile, I had already imagined our lives together. I started to picture my life with you by my side. Waking up with you in my bed. Watching our kids run around the table, fighting for the most pointless thing. Make you dinner when you arrive home exhausted from hours of working. Cherish you from dawn to dusk and watch as your skin become wrinkled and dry, your hair grey with old age. Hold your hand until your, our, last breath. It had only been two years but I knew that I had fallen for you.

That day, I was no more disappointed. I was instead in ecstasy.

I remember it clearly. It was our second anniversary and we had planned a special dinner together in your small but cozy apartment. Nothing  too extravagant, just lovers enjoying each other's presence and company. You were never to fond of big gifts and surprises. After dinner, we sat cuddling in your old green couch, watching TV in the moonlit room.

"I love you"

It was small and quiet, barely hearable. But it was enough to make it one of the best nights of my life.