Hyunsik/Eunkwang

A Birthday Present

 

“Euuuunkwaang, come on! You've been here since lunch, you've skipped dinner, and it's nearly ten! How much longer are you going to sit there?" Hyunsik cries as he drapes himself over the back of the leader’s chair, accidentally twisting it and knocking the pen out of his hand. 

“Wh-!” Startled, Eunkwang groans, knocking off the arm slung over his shoulder before turning in his chair to push Hyunsik away completely. “Stop that! Hyunsik, just go back to the dorms; I’ll be back soon!”

"But you said that like thirty minutes ago when I first got here!" Maintaining eye contact, Eunkwang glares at the singer the entire time he bends over to retrieve his pen, quickly snatching it up and spinning around to face the soundboard to avoid any further conversation. It’s nearing the deadline for their album release, and there’s still so much Eunkwang has to do, including finishing the lyrics for one of the songs, so he’s been stuck in the studio for the past week, trying to frantically figure out the right words.

Hyunsik just barely stops himself from stomping his feet out of frustration as he lets out a long groan, dramatically throwing himself onto the couch and flinging an arm over his eyes. The studio goes silent, the only sound coming from Eunkwang's pen, and Hyunsik counts to three in his head before he tries again.

"We have rehearsal tomorrow."

"Go home, Hyunsik."

Ready to scream, he angrily rubs at his eyes before throwing them up in frustration and turns to face the back of the couch. Wrapping his arms around him, Hyunsik clenches his eyes closed and listens to the soft taps of the leader's fingers against the desk before letting out a small yawn.

"Don't do that."

Hyunsik's eyes snap open and his eyebrows furrow as he looks over his shoulder at Eunkwang's back. "What are you talking about?"

The leader’s shoulders stiffen and he presses his palms into the table before repeating, "don't do that."

And Hyunsik's still confused; mind whirling as he tries to understand what the hell the other man is talking about only to immediately sit up with a gleeful smile because of course.

Taking his time to stretch out his arms and back, he lets out a soft, contented sigh and another, louder and incredibly fake yawn before asking, "What? Do you mean don't yawn?"

Eunkwang bristles, hissing out a quick "yes", and Hyunsik nearly cackles.

"Ah, sorry, Eunkwang. But I'm just so tired and I caaa--" this time his fake yawn turns real, and Hyunsik tries to prolong it as much as possible "--ann't help it. It's not like I can just stop yawning!" He pauses, waiting to see if he gets any reaction, but the leader stays silent.

Huffing and pulling out his phone, Hyunsik lets out one more yawn and feigns shock as he checks the time. "Holy , it's almost eleven! We've got to get up at five tomorrow! Aren't you done yet? Damn, I can't stop yawning."

When Eunkwang's head dips forward slightly, Hyunsik goes quiet, waiting, even going so far as to hold his breath to listen better. Then he hears it, recognizes the slow, deep breath in and the long, drawn-out exhale, and before the leader can shake his head and complain, Hyunsik jumps off of the couch and bounds over to the chair.

"Uh oh! Looks like a certain someone is tired!" Hyunsik wastes no time in turning the chair around and pulling at Eunkwang's arms, urging him to stand up. He's pure energy, bolting around the room to close laptops, turn off lights, and grab Eunkwang's coat, all while urging him closer to the door.

"Goddamnit, Hyunsik!" Eunkwang wants to be annoyed, wants to just continue working, but he can't help but smile and laugh while trying to stifle another yawn as Hyunsik ushers him out the door, already listing off the things he needs to do to get ready for bed.