Phone call

Curious Puppy


 
„So..“ Taemin started with a hint of excitement in his voice. „Should we call it?“ Kibum looked at him ironically for pointing out the obvious.

„No, we should just sit here and wait until the owner calls us.“, and rolled his eyes.He now saw how the younger pushed out his tounge at him with an 'Oh really?!' facial expression.


„Aw, c'mon Taemin.. your not 6 anymore.“ The elder scoffed at the failed attempt to make him feel sorry.

„Tsk!“ The younger puffed his cheeks and crossed his arms. „Don't be so mean to me!“

„Yeah yeah, now calm down and give me your cell phone.“ With a simple hand movement, he pointed at the younger's trouser pockets with his finger and gestured Taemin to give him his phone.

„Why mine? Don't you have yours with you?“

„I wanted to, but a certain someone literally dragged me out of the house on my wrist to the car, without giving me the chance to grab it in time.“ He rolled his eyes again and stared at the younger, accusingly. „F-fine...“ He said, while grabbing the item in his pocket and handing it to the older boy.

The older muttered a simple „Thanks.“ and started dialing the number on Roo's name tag, that looked like it would belong to another mobile phone; paying attention not to miss out a single digit.
Taemin's eyes never left the older's concentrated gaze that was focused on the phone.

The said boy was kinda nervous when he lifted the mobile device to his ear and hear the beeping sound. While he waited for someone to pick up, he looked in Roo's direction and thought about how it might felt not being able to know how or where your pet must be, and just having no other opportunity but to wait.
He knew how it felt to lose something that you love and cherish, it was another reason why Kibum wanted to find this owner. Because they were probably desperately worried about the pup.

What will the owner say? How will they sound like? And how will they react?

 



 



 


 


Burrying his face in his palms, he tried to hide his desperate expression. His elbows were supported by his knees and he just sat there, on the same bench from earlier like that. Trying to cover up how ashamed he was of himself
He lost track how long he's been searching for his puppy. Or how many people he's been asking wether they saw Roo or not. But their answers were always the same.

Idiot... idiot... idiot...


He was one, he already knew that. How could you even lose a puppy? How could he lose his sisters precious puppy that made her smile every day? Why did he even doze off? Why didn't he pay more attention, that he was getting tired so fast?

He couldn't think straight in that moment, an he could ask as many questions as he wanted, it wouldn't change anything.

What will his sister say? Roo was her everything.

She'll cry, for sure. She'll cry and be disappointed in him... because he didn't pay attention.

He could only hope that somebody found her; that she is okay...

He didn't know how long he's been sitting on this bench and thought about the little dog. Probably an half an hour or so, he honestly didn't want to know.

He knew he had to go back home soon and tell Sodam what happened. His sister is probably wondering what is taking him so long. He pursed his lips in a thin line and pressed his eyelids firmly together. He didn't want to.. He couldn't.. Not yet.

His fingers slowly massaged his forehead; a habit of his to slowly relax him from all those negative thoughts.

A sudden vibrate comming from his jacket pocket snapped his thoughts back to reality, though. Unconciously bringing up a hand to the place where his cell phone is supposed to be, he wondered who actually wanted to call him. Here, right now, in this situation.

Sodam? Please not..

Composing himself from that weird feeling he hesitantely grabbed in the jacket and pulled it out to look at the screen. But it wasn't his sister's picture that popped up.

„'Unknown number'?“ He frowned his eyebrows. For a second he was relieved but... it was weird. He usually didn't get calls from people that weren't in his contact list. Where did that person get his-...

His eyelids suddenly became wide and he felt how hope rose up in his chest. His hand shivered, almost dropping the device. Maybe someone has...

Before he even knew it, he pressed 'answer' and helt it against his right ear. A mere „U-um, hello..?“ was the only thing that could leave his mouth, voice sounding hoarse from the abruptness. The brief seconds to wait for the person on the other line to reply seemed endless to Jonghyun.

„Hello, this is Kim Kibum“, a nice voice was greeting him, „and could it be that you might be missing something?“
The chuckle that followed came from a playful nature.

It was such an easy question to answer but he had to process it first. He was baffled about how this person was reading his thoughts like that. Jonghyun almost forgot to answer.

„Well...“, he began, thinking about what to say next., „I guess you could call it that.“ He chuckled nervously „But how do you-...“

„Maybe something with a black and brown tinted fur?“ He could almost see him smile through the phone. The description fit his dog so perfectly, and that was also the last evidence that he needed. He jumped up from his sitting, to a standing position. He couldn't believe it.

„You've found Roo?!“ His voice was filled with excitement and another chuckle came from the boy. „Yes, I have. And she's alright, don't worry.“ His voice sounded... so friendly, so reassuring, and made him exhale deeply in relief.

„But I'm still wondering... . How... how did you lose her exactly?“ The boy asked. „I mean... didn't you just notice when she ran away?“ Jongyhun's cheeks puffed at this embarrasing matters of fact that Kibum reproached him with.
It was kinda weird for him to answer someone, who was nagging him through the phone about his lack of sleep, that now led to this, that he hasn't even met in person yet.

„Well..“, he chuckled nervously, I've been really exhausted today, because of my work schedule, you know.“ He heard the boy one the other line utter a little „Alright“.

„So I might have dosen off... a little.“ He barely finished his words and already received a loud and exaggerated sounding laugh from the other line, it seemed like that his utterance clearly amused the boy.

„Yah, don't laugh!“ He gave back. „I'm just trying to make a living since I'm new here in this town! And can't say that doing paperwork all day is very pleasant!“ He was huffy, he feelt the need to defend himself, and heard how the other's laugher slowly died down.

„I'm really sorry, I didn't want to be rude.“ Kibum replied understandable with a smooth tone in his voice. „I understand that.. and I can actually relate to that. I also have a very tiring job and it's very rare for me to get some spare time as well.“ The younger reasoned and Jonghyun chuckled at him through the phone in understandment. „It's... it's alright.“

„But you have to admit that it's something that doesn't happen very often, does it?“ He could hear him breaking out in little giggles again. And he was right, something like that didn't happen everday. „I-I mean... wasn't it difficult to fall asleep during such a hot weather?“

He needed to learn to laugh about himself, he knew that, even in a situation like right now. „No, not really.“ And he heard again how the boy started laughing at his unbelieveable excuse.
There was something in this boy's voice that had him smile for no particular reason. And he liked it. He couldn't help it, it also made him chuckle a little.

They calmed down a bit after several cheerful laughs and chuckles, but Jonghyun still wanted to know where he could find his lost puppy.
„So... where are you right now, Kibum?“ Asking him with the name he was told minutes ago,. „Uh right, near the lake in the park.“ He answered. Jonghyun sharpened his ears at the information and at the same time a goofy like smile was placed on his lips. „May I ask you where I can find you, then?“

„Me too! I'm also near the lake!“ He said in an over-excited sounding voice, not noticing that he was smiling again.

„Great!“ Kibum said happily. „Say, do you know that little area with a bench?“ Jonghyun wanted to know. The boy couldn't be that far away.

„Yes, of course I do!“ He heard the other say, „So, how about meeting up there then in twenty minutes?“

„Ah, sure!“ Only hearing a short answer, „Good, I'll meet you there!“, Jonghyun said, receiving one last comment, „I'll see you then!“ And heard how the boy hang up on him.

Perplexed but surprisingly happy, Jonghyun brought down his hand with the phone from his ear and shot a gaze at the screen. „Charming..“ He couldn't stop smiling, he was to busy lingering in thoughts on meeting the boy that found his beloved puppy.

He felt like rocks have been lifted from his chest. He didn't want to think about how much he would have disappointed his big sister if Kibum hadn't found Roo.. He was so glad.
He sat down and leaned his head on the bench again; closing his eyes and inhaling deeply. „What a relief...“

 



 



 


 

„... And we'll meet him in twenty minutes at the lake bench, I guess.“ He said to the younger, telling him the details of the call after giving him his phone back again.
The call didn't take that long, but Taemin just looked at him with a tilted head and blinked. Noticing how much his hyung has been smiling since he hung up.
After a few more seconds of silence he then dared to ask „What are you smiling about?“.

„What do you mean?“ Lifting his head, looking into the other's eyes, he couldn't really make out what he meant exactly.

„Uhm... never mind.“ He tried to end this topic. He was still a bit surprised that the elder didn't let him listen to the call like he'd usually do when he talked to their parents; pushing him away from instead him when he tried to lean over, being curious as always, and listen.

He was only able to catch a deep and quiet voice, not much conversation, just mumbling.

Kibum just stood up after being tired of the younger's failed attempts, walking around a few steps and making it impossible for the younger to keep eavesdropping.

„However... what's his name?“ He asked.

„Huh?“ Kibum, who was making room in their little basket for the blanket, raised his head to the younger's eye level. „His name.“ He repeated. „What's his name?“

„I don't know he didn't tell me.“ He probably forgot it in the rush. „I completely forgot to ask him...“ In this whole conversation, he was too focused on telling him the information about his dog, than asking for his name.

The younger snorted „You guys held a kind of smalltalk like conversation, don't you think so? I mean.. you don't know him and sounded already familiar with him.“

„He sounded really nice and I'm glad that I could help.“ He reasoned. It was true tough. From the first second Kibum found the other guy's voice very likeable. „It's not like I was telling him my whole life, eh?“ He wondered why Taemin asked so many questions. He knew what he was saying, the younger shouldn't worry too much.

The two dogs casually laid in the grass and breathed calmly. They were tired of jumping around and cuddled themselves together to a little ball; already seeming like best friends after such a few time, it looked so heartwarmingly cute to watch them.
Letting themselves being shone upon by the sun, which now was slightly being covered by a few clouds slowly that made their way to covered its strong sunlight. The heat in the air, though, still remained but was less stronger.

„Gyaa ~“ Kibum always makes weird sounds when he stands up, it was kind of his trademark; announcing the younger that it is time to get their stuff together.

„Get up and help me folding the blanket! Come on, we don't have all day!“ Changing the subject, and grabbing a corner of the piece of fabric.

„You want to go already? C'mooon we still have enough time“ The the raven haired boy complained about the elder's sudden change of mood, while laying down on his back. He was lacking of motivation, he felt so limp.

Kibum though was so eager all off sudden, so energetic. „Yes, now, or do you want to wait until you put down roots? Stand up already!“ The younger grunted seemingly bothered by the rushing blonde.


He noticed Kibum's challenging stare and the slightly tilted head that he stared at him with; how he raised his eyebrows because he couldn't believe what the younger just said. Taemin hated to upset him and gave in. „Fine, fine, I'm getting up.“

It was pointless to argue with him, the younger knew that; so he did what he was told and he streched his arms in the air first to loosen up the limpness in his relaxed muscles.

Helping the older folding the blanket and putting it back on its previous place in the basket. „Let's just go.“ Taemin suggested as he picked up the small object.

„Yeah, it's about time.“ Kibum just signalized the puppies that it was time to go. He carried Roo in his arms to prevent her from running away and getting lost again. She didn't seem to have something against it either.


And since she was still very small and had pretty short legs, it would get a lot faster like this.
Comme Des, though, was in the lead, to 'guide' them the way.

„I'm glad that we found Roo. I think her owner will be very happy again to get Roo back.“ The blonde still used this possessive term, due the unknowing of how to call the guy instead.

  


 

Taemin teased „As long as you don't forget to ask his name, it'll be fine.“ Kibum stared at him and saw how the younger taunted him for being so indulging; quickly lifting his hand to the other's cheek and pinching it. „You!“ Hearing the other's whimpers to stop, but only starting to pull on it.

„You better behave you brat! I know what I'm doing, thanks!“ Now letting go, the younger rubbed the little reddened area. „Yeah, sorry.“
Kibum just hated it if someone drew their attention to his oversights that he didn't even notice himself.

  


 

Both went on and made their way to their promised destination, which was now only a few metres away, from the said bench.

„Hey is that him?“ Taemin wondered and pointed at a young man, sitting on it with his broad shoulders leaned back, his brown hair fallen out of his face as his closed eyes faced the sky.

He was already waiting for them.

His friend took a closer look on him and then said „I think so.“ Tilting his head and eyeing him, he caught himself staring a little. How could he not?  Recognizing handsome features on his face from the distance.

 Looking at the small dog in his arms, whose head was cuddled in his elbow, and then back at the brown-haired man; smiling. He turned his head to the raven haired boy. „I think we should surprise him, what do you think?“

  



 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

 



 

It took longer to update than I wanted.

And it turned out shorter than expected.

 




 

Oh well xD Do you like it still?