Lost dog

Curious Puppy

 



 

A relaxing Saturday noon.

Sitting on a park bench which was placed under a big tree next to a lake, the brown-haired boy leaned his head back and inhaled deeply, enjoying the sound of singing birds and the fresh air that invaded his nostrils.

 

 

It had rained the night before, so the air somehow felt alot cleaner and easier to breath in. It was alot lighter.

 
 

Jonghyun heard the conversation of some strangers, chatting and laughing, about something that's supposed to be interesting somewhere in the distance. Probably discussing about getting some ice cream.

 
 

It wasn't even 1 p.m. yet and the sun already emitted a strong wave of heat down to him. He could already feel thin sweat layer accummulate on his forehead.

 
 

His dog running freely around the place, exploring the envoirement in the park for the first time, and trying to chase some grasshoppers without much success while the little tag on the dog collar bounced in every direction possible and made little noices.

 
 

His sister told him to take Roo out for a walk because she was busy... as always. He couldn't blame her though, she's been pretty busy and stressed out because of her studies and barely found time for the little ball of fur. It was alright to him. But he also wished Sodam had more time to spend with her dog.
 
 

He was throwing some treats torwards Roo once in a while. Making the throws a little higher so she could catch them in midair.

Roo seemed to like it as well that her owner paid some attention to her.

Letting out some barks of happyness, only to continue running after little insects.

 
 

Everything was pretty stressful for him as well; Not only for his sister. He was very tired the last days. Even right now a bit, but that was because he's gone on that stroll with Roo right after he woke up.

 
 

And right after they arrived in the park he let her off the leash and sat down on the bench, while having an eye on the pup.

 
 

Sometimes he thinks his new boss hates him and is doing it on purpose to let him do so much paperwork in such a short time... . But then again, his dad was close friends with him and he made it possible for him to work there.

 
 

It was still really good to have some days off. Now he could finally sleep a little longer than usual, because he definitely needed that.

 
 

He let out a sight of enjoyment and looked up again to let his eyes wander accross the lake. The water moved in a waving pattern and reflected the sunlight in it.

 
 

He smiled at the kids playing at the other side. Watching them feeding ducks with some bread, laughing and giggling at the voracious animals that ate it hungrily.

 
 

He loved days like this. Days where he could just let go of everything and everyone. Not having to care about anything. Everything was just so peaceful.

A smile was placed on his lips; He was happy in that moment.

 
 

Closing his eyes, he felt how the urge to let out a yawn approached. He noticed how his eyelids got heavier, how his tensed muscles relaxed and how he remained in this cozy position a little too long. The last days probably were too much... .

 
 

Maybe I can just, just a little...

 
 

He probably sat like this for a some minutes... or longer. This warm weather really exhausted him as well.

 
 

But before he could entirely doze off into sleep, a strong jolt was sent through his body to wake him up to consciousness again.

First confused but then instinctively looking at his watch on his left arm. What? How long am I sitting here already?

 
 

Time passed by quickly and he decided that it was time to go home anyway.

As he stood up he streched his limbs first, making a groaning sound, his eyes only half opened.

 
 

Come on Roo, it's time to go.“ he muttered with a smile.

But the little bundle of energie was nowhere to be seen.

 
 

Roo, where are you?“

And there went his calm mood.
 

He looked on each sides of the bench, even below it. Roo would usually be somewhere near Jonghyun after she was tired of playing around. But she wasn't this time.

 
 

This was odd. Why wasn't she here with him?

 
 

Yes, that was really funny, but now please stop that..!“ He wished that his dog would stop the hiding game. She sometimes did it to make the brown-haired boy feel guilty for not feeding her enough treats when she wanted more.

 
 

He looked behind the bench, on a little path. The right way led back to the town and the left way led even further into the park, to a man selling ice-cream, a big grass area and a lot of people.

He looked left, right and left again. Nothing.. He couldn't spot her anywhere.

 
 

Roo?“ his voice now worried, in hopes for the dog to hear him. He walked around, no idea where to look for her first.

 
 

He looked all over the place. No. She wasn't there.

 
 

Roo?!“ he rose his voice, hoping to get an answer by... well something that might give him a hint wherever his dog could be.

 
 

There was a nervous feeling building up inside his stomach. What happened while he wasn't paying attention? Did something happen to her?

How would he explain his sister? She told him to be careful and to have an eye on her, because she knew how curious Roo was.

 
 

'She is still young and can easily be distracted. You have to take good care of her.' Sodam's voice suddenly appearing at the back of his head.

 
 

Remorses... He felt them form in his stomach. He promised her to take care of the dog, but instead he did the opposite.

 
 

She has never done this before. There is no reason she'd run away. Where is she now? Did someone take her with them? Maybe she is hurt?

 
 

His head was filled with the worst thoughts that he could come up with. He wanted to slap himself for being so irresponsible. I'm such an idiot!

 
 

Jonghyun decided to go the left way of the path. He knew Roo was too scared of the traffic noises in the town to go there alone.

 
 

I'm such an idiot! He shouted at him in his thoughts. Knowing that it wouldn't actually change anything at the situation.

 
 

And with that, he went the left way.

 
 

 



 

 

Ahh, that was so yummy.“ A satisfied voice sang. Pale, tender hands started putting back some plates and glasses in a basket.
 
 

Your cooking skills impress me everytime, Kibum.“ the latter smiled at the compliment.

 
 

They were eating a nicely decorated chocolate cake and some other sweets Kibum had prepared earlier while his dog lied next to them and stared at the delicious food with sad eyes.

 
 

He was hungry, too.

 
 

Taemin noticed that stare. „Aw, I'm sorry buddy but I already gave you all of the treats I had on our way here.“ Comme des let out some whines of disaproval when he felt the others hand pet his head.

 
 

They were sitting under a tree that was protecting them from the sudden heat that the sun emitted.

 
 

Taemin leaned back on it while streching his limbs from his body and enjoying the warm weather. „Nhh, let's relax now.~ It's such a nice day.“

 
 

Yah, stop being lazy an help me instead! You suggested to picnic anyway!“ The blonde nagged but couldn't completely hide his obvious smile.
 

Relax more, Kibum.“ Taemin's smile made him sigh.

 
 

Yeah, yeah.“ Kibum looked up to watch how the wind made the leafes on the tree dance and listened to the gentle rustle. A satisfied smile fell on his lips.

It really was a nice day.

 
 

Suddenly Taemin stood up, pattened his thighs and adjusted his pants.

 
 

Hey, where are you going?“ The older was a little surprised at that action and wanted to jump up from his sitting position but the younger male held him back.

 
 

Calm down, I saw a guy who is selling some ice cream.“

 
 

He pointed in the direction where that guy stood, about 25 metres away from them, and handed an ice cream cone to a little kid that was barely tall enough to reach the height of the ice cream cart.

 
 

I'm a little warm.“ He chuckled and rubbed with the back of his hand the small layer of sweat away that was formed on his forehead. „I don't think black hair is very convenient for days like this.“ he added and Kibum couldn't surpress a little scoffing laugh either.

 
 

Well, don't start whining about it, because you wanted them black so badly.“ He streched the 'so' out a little and the younger started pouting a little.

 
 

This kid, he thought.

 
 

Anyway ,do you want to come with me?“ His eyes smiled at him in, hoping to get the older to come with him, while he tugged his bangs back from his forehead.

 
 

Ah, thanks but I'm good, I'll stay with Comme des.“ The huffy puppy looked up at his owner as he heard his name and Kibum started petting his head playfully.

 
 

Alright.“ It was now Kibum's turn to lean against the tree while Taemin made his way to that guy. Just sitting there on the picnic blanket and letting out an unintentional sigh.

The little puppy made its way to the blonde's lap to lie down and placing his head on his tiny paws while his owners long fingers his textured fur on his head.

 
 

The two boys have been living together for half a year now. Right after Kibum turned 19 and started to go to work. Someone had to pay the bills in the future of course. Taemin though was still going to school and would graduate soon. The blonde male took the mother role since then. He was looking for a job in a bakery and he got the chance to improve his baking skills even more.

 
 

Kibum's dog whined at his owner as soon as he stopped petting him. „Mh? Yeah, sorry.“ He chuckled and continued his little head.
 
 

He let his head lean even more at the tree, only to let out another sigh, but this time out of relaxation. He loved the park. It was so easy to relax here. And since they both had holidays they used this opportunity to spend it here.

 
 

While closing his eyes, he let his thoughts float around somewhere in the clouds and enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere, breathing becoming even. Letting the time pass by a little.

 
 

A little while later, the poodle's ears joilted lightly at a little sound they caught up, and he lifted his head in a direction, not far away from them, where a little bush was growing. Focused on the bush, as if he was hypnotoized. He noticed that something was moving in there.

 
 

Mh? What is it?“ Kibum raised his eyebrows, not exactly knowing what the problem was, the peaceful atmosphere now slightly disturbed.

 
 

Suddenly he jumped off Kibum's lap and ran right in front of it, barking at it as if it would contain some kind of monster.
 
 

H-hey, Comme Des what are you doing?“ Kibum was confused why his dog acted that way, but he got curious as well now and also approached the bush in a crouching position, only very slowly until he was almost in front of it.

 
 

Instead of standing there and barking at the bush, like a dog would usually do, Comme Des vanished right inside of it, determined to face the „danger“.

 
 

Whimpers and little barks were audible from the small grown plant.

Comme Des? What i-“ He couldn't even finish the sentence, as a little ball of fur dashed out from under the plant, chased by Kibum's dog.

 
 

Wha-?!“ Surprised but not actually scared; Kibum stumbled back some steps.

 
 

The poodle kept chasing the other dog around for a little while, before jumping on it and rolling around in the grass in a playfull way. Friendly barks filled the air, Comme Des was welcoming the new face.

 
 

What the...?!

Kibum just stood there. Frozen and perplexed, wondering where the other dog came from all of sudden.

 
 

They kept playing their chasing game until they heard his voice. „Yah!“ Both stopped almost immediately and stared at him with a slightly tilted head.

 
 

Still confused, Kibum stepped closer to the unknown puppy. „And who are you?“ He asked while crouching down.
 
 

The pup just let out a little bark, wanting to give an answer. He's never seen that dog around that area before.

 
 

With a slowly approaching hand he tried to feel the soft fur of the little figure's back right in front of him.

 
 

The puppy didn't seem to have something against that and stayed there, without moving in the slightest way.

 
 

Only flinching lightly and letting out a surprised whine, as it felt a petite hand placed on its back, the area in circular motions and feeling the texture of the hair. He could feel how much it was soaking.

 
 

The puppy just let him touch its back, without any sign of protest, which surprised Kibum.

 
 

Hm...“ Moving his hand away again and placing it below his own chin instead, making a humming noise. „To me it looks like you wanted to cool yourself down from this weather, huh?“ He said with a chuckle.

 
 

Refering to the sun that constantly gave off hot sunbeams, making all the people around them sweat badly. Pets like dogs were worse off, though; Having a thick fur on their body all the time. The only possibility to cool down was to swim in lakes then.

 
 

Kibum could imagine that the small puppy doing so,... and then possibly lost her owner out of sight.

 
 

He still wondered how this owner couldn't even keep an eye on her and prevent her from running away. Probably distracted or just reckless? He couldn't tell.

 
 

Suddenly the said puppy shook its whole body, desperately trying to dry the fur; Not caring that the water was entirely spilled onto Kibum while doing so. The blonde tried to cover his face and let out a loud shriek. „Hey, stop that!“

 
 

Well... at least he didn't have to care about the heat anymore now. The little droplets really cooled his skin down. „Geez.. was that really necessary?“ He then wiped the few waterdroplets away that were slowly running down his forehead.

 
 

The quilty looking puppy just looked up and whined at the disliking expression of the blonde. As if it wanted to apologize for the act.

 
 

During this whole time Comme Des just kept silent, only examining the new found 'friend' with his pointy nose, wagging with his tail, wondering why the heck she smelled so much like fish.
 
 

Kibum noticed the stare and looked at the sad looking puppy with a pitied expression, „Ahw, don't worry, I got this.“, and carefully placed his left hand under her still wet belly, while the right one rested on the back; Picking her up.

 
 

And again, nothing but a little whine that escaped the little thing's throat. Not even an attempt to run away, just letting herself being picked up to see where the older boy was bringing her.

 
 

It geniuinly surprised him. Did he really gain her trust after those few minutes?

 
 

Going back to the picnic blanket, he placed her down for his own puppy to continue his examination, busy jumping around her to see if she wanted to play with him, while he searched in the basket after a clean dishtowel.

 
 

Comme Des was way too excited to see a new dog around this area, his tail wagging fast in anticipation. It looked so adorable how their noses touched to greet each other a second time.

Kibum just couldn't resist to let out a short giggle as he saw how the two got along.

Ahh, there it is“ He found what he was looking for and took it out.

 
 

Even by something as simple as a cake, he'd always bring a dishtowel or napkins with them; He knew Taemin's eating habits by now. He often wondered if his parents actually taught him how to eat like normal human being, let alone proper table manners.

 
 

Still, the younger was irreplaceable for Kibum.

He then pulled Roo in his lap ans started to rub the dry towel on the small, for warmth searching, body.

 
 

Only now he noticed the coin shaped tag on her dog collar. He eyed it and read a name that was engraved on the front side. „So, your name is Roo, isn't it?“ said puppy looked up as her name fell from the blonde-haired boys lips.

 
 

What a nice name, you have there.“, he said with a playful but caring voice, „And don't worry, we'll find your owner.“ Now he took the dishtowel and rubbed it over her entire frame, Comme Des watched quietly, waiting with anticipation for the blonde to finish.

 
 

Just when Kibum Roo's now dry back a few times and put the towel back in the basket, the two puppies didn't waste any time and started to run around again and continue playing.

 
 

Finally, after an approximated eternety, Taemin decided to show up again, with his deicious looking ice cream cone that he proudly held in his hand.

 
 

Hey Kibum I didn't know if you wanted one too so-... “ He immediately stopped in the middle of his scentence as he looked closer at the scene. Perplexed, his face formed a questioning look, pointing at the puppy that was playfully fighting with Kibum's dog. „..May I ask who that is?“

 
 

Oh, you mean her?“ He pointed at Roo and saw how the younger slowly nodded his head.

 
 

He then explained „I don't know how she got here, but I found her over there.“, he pointed at the bush, „Her fur was soaking and I dried it, I guess she swam in the lake to cool down a little.“ He asumed „...and I bet that her owner must be very worried about her.“ He added.

 
 

The younger, who slowly tried to get a normal facial expression again, sat down next to the blonde. „So...“ Kibum had to smile how confused the younger looked. „Does she at least have a name tag?“ The younger asked.

 
 

Ah, yes, and I guess her name is 'Roo'.“ Kibum stopped the puppies from their little game and pulled Roo on his lap, showing the shining coin to the younger.
 
 

Hm..., let me see.“ Taemin took the tag in between his thumb and index finger to find a better angle to look at it. They needed to find the owner, and the best way to do that was to find out an address or something.

 
 

Oh.“ The younger uttered. Turning the little object around, facing what he actually hoped to see on the other side.

 
 

A number.“


______________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

  

 

So, did you like it? Yes? No? Maybe?

Something that I could improve?

Please tell me, I'm curious. ^_^