So far so good

Out of the blue

Jason's POV :

It's 11 o' clock on a glowing Friday night. I just got back from my date. 
I know what's you all thinking. A date? With who? Maybe Aria?
Well unfortunatelly not. 
I met a girl the other day, her name is Eunsoo. She is currently working as a waitress at my favourite cafe in the town. That way she earns some money for her studies. She is from Ulsan and moved to Seoul 2 years ago to pursue a career in music. A stradivarius violin that her grandma  bequeathed to her is her only partner in her new life. She has a few friends as she prefers to spend most of the time in her room composing. Confidence is one of her features which I admire since I have none. For instance she claims to be the female version of Henry Lau. If only someone believed in her skills ...
She is obviously a descent girl, you can see that from her clear and glowing, almond shaped brown eyes. 
At first I was against going to talk to her but Aria kept insisting on giving it a shot and so did I. Now I don't regret meeting her at all. She is full of charms, funny, kind, everything seems good. I like her but my heart is beating fast for someone else. 
Eunsoo's confidence inspired me. Even though she hadn't talk to me ever before, she had the guts to take the first step and express her interest clearly. That's what I should have done, I don't know what am I waiting for to do it.

I parked my car. The road is quite dark as the streetlights are not working. I tripped over something but I didn't let this ruin my good, optimistic mood. I strode confidently until I found Aria sitting by hershelf at the stairs. 
Is she wearing pyjamas and slippers? That's odd for her. I mean she doesn' t really care about fashion or fancy clothes but I 've never seen her going anywhere in pyjamas.
Another odd thing is that everytime I see her I can clearly say how she feels. Every feeling is written all over her face except for today. She is standing there, her little face rests on her knees. I tiptoed furtively closer. I took a seat next to her. She keeps bitting her nails, staring at nothing specifically.

I sidle up to her "Aria.... Ariaaaaaa? " 
She is still daydreaming. I tapped her at the back.
"Yaa .... ah sorry oppa I didn't notice you. " She jumped scared.
" What were you thinking? "
"Uhm... nothing. "
" Did you wait for me to come back? " I .
" Yeah. "
...Wait what? she just said yes. 
She didn't mean it right? 
It didn't sound sarcastic though.
Now her head lies on my shoulder. Her soft hair touching my neck tickles me. Her white musk scent fills the air.I look up at the stars with a big smile. If somehow the time could pause for a moment so we could stay like that for a bit longer, just me and her. It feels so good ... so right. I wish my arm is always her pillow for the merry and the sour days.
I caressed her cheek, closed my eyes ....

"Oppa it's a bit chilly out there." She abruptly stood up and marched inside.
MISSION KISS: FAIL but somehow I don't feel defeated.
I followed her upstairs. Sia actually called me for  a sleepover at their place. I was right behind her. She almost slammed the door at my face. What's wrong with her tonight? She doesn't seem to pay attention at anything except if she is doing that to make a fool out of me.
"I am sorry oppa. Come in. " She said innocently.
"Aah finally. What took you so long? Come and help me to find the perfect movie. " Sia was excited looking through a pile of DVD's.
I said ok and sat next to her "I see we have a lot of options there. We have to get some out of the way. So what genre fits you tonight? "
"That's a problem I have no idea. " 

 

While Sia can't deal with her indecisiveness, I am more considerate about Aria. She is sitting on the corner of the couch staring at an empty glass of water. I keep taking a look at her now and then but she is still dozed off.
"Aria are you thirsty ?" I asked to wake her up. Her phone rang , it must be her mum. She got up and walked to her room to take the call. I hope they are not fighting again. You see miss Margaret is not a big supporter of Aria's choices. Actually I think that she is unable to keep up with the idea that her daughter lives far away from her. I am not saying that I agree with her behaviour but at least I can understand it.
"Sia, can we just watch something on TV instead? I think you struggled enough with the movies. "
"Why am I so indecisive tonight? "
"Tonight? " She punched me and faked a laugh.

When Aria got out of her room I could tell from her heavy steps and furious movements that she was a wee bit angry.
" Guys I am hungry. Let's prepare something " She said in a calm tone, though I can still feel her negative aura.
"Hmm... finally a good idea. " I agreed.
"Chicken? "
"Chicken manse. " We all shouted.
"Ok I wanna try a new recipe. Hope no one is allergic to nuts."

Sia put her idea for a movie aside and got ready for a hot bubbly bath. I saw her carrying her book holder so I think that this is going to be a long bubble bath. I pulled out a chair and sat at the kitchen. With my elbows on the counter I am observing every little move of hers. Like when I was a kid. I can recall my mum cooking especially on Sundays, the one and only day when all of our family members gathered for a meal. She always let me have a taste of her cake mix before put it into the oven and I was super grateful for that. I also enjoyed distracting my mum so I could sneakingly be the first to taste her potato chips. She never scold me for that, she only gave me warnings like "This is the last time." But we both knew it wasn't.
Sometimes Aria and her parents were also invited, those days I would wake up at 7 to have a shower and get ready for her coming. I had spent all my pocket money to buy a manly perfume.The girl at the shop assured me that this scent would make all the girls fall in love with me, how stupid I was back then. Even though she never gave attention to me as she was more interested on helping my mum prepare the meal along with Sia, there was one day when she said "I like your new fragnance Jay.It fits you perfect! " Needless to say I 've never changed it since then.
"Heyy. Earth calls Jay. " Aria was moving her hand in front of me while I was lost in the memoriesland. "Would you like to have the fist bite?"
"What a honor?" She blew the chicken bite and fed me. My big smile couldn't be hidden. "It's DAEBAK noona! "
"Don't call me that. " She said laughing.
Then Sia came from behind with her hair still wet in a messy bun. "Now that I remembered it. Why did you steal the ice cream? Do you know how it feels to crave something so bad, waiting to go back home and enjoy it but when you open the fridge it is gone? " She said without taking a single breath.
I looked at her surprised " I don't know how to respond to that. "
She easily took me off the hook and prepared a plate full of chicken and potatoes.She must be starving.
Though there were 3 plates on the table, only two people were sitting there. I looked at the empty chair and asked "Is Aria ok? She is in the bathroom for almost 20 minutes."
"She may have some problems with... you know. "
"I am gonna check up on her."
I knocked the toilet's door a couple times since I realized that the lights are off. I peered through the lock of her bedroom's door, a slight light could be seen. I opened the door. Aria was laying on her bed watching something on her tablet.
"Aren't you satisfied with your food?"
"My cooking is always good. Just not hungry."
"But you said - "
"I changed my mind."
"Oh oh ok. " I knew it. I sensed her bad mood after she received that call. Who knows what her mum said again? It was sure bad, I haven't see her like that before.
 I laid next to her.For my surprise she didn't complain. "So what are we watching? "
"Jay I would prefer to watch this alone."
"Oh I love it when you call me Jay. Now tell me what it's about." She laughed bitterly. 
I hugged her from behind while we were watching the show. She fell asleep at some point. I covered her with a blanket and then quietly continued watching until my eyes closed too.


Jonghyun's POV:

I got back to the dorm. Still haven't realised what I've just done. I didn't intend to, but something inside me convinced me that it was right to do it even if it was quite early. 
She was flustered, her cheeks turned into a fire red when I got so close to her that I could hear the rythm of her heart. My lips pressed on hers. My mind went blank. I wasn't thinking I just wanted to do it. It was just a peck but there was a hidden tension that was finally set free. I still bear the taste and the warmth of her lips. The heat of her body surrounded me like a warm embrace. Aah I have to stop thinking of it. Someone could say I am in love, but it's not like that.
When I got into the house I saw everyone sitting on th living room like they were waiting for something. They stopped talking and kept their eyes on me. That really freaked me out but I was also too happy to bother myself with that. So I just ignored their stares and got myself  a glass of water. Apparently someone ,that being Jungshin,didnt got the message and followed me.
"Hey, where have you been? "
" Uhhm... I had a great time with Aria, I'll update you later. Why? "
" Uuh juicy news. Come and sit with us at the couch." I got my glass and some chips. I sat near to him.
"Get your dirty hands off my chips! " Jungshin tried to snatch some from my bag.
"I just washed them." He said annoyed.
"Ok you can get one then."
"Hyung you are the  best! " He hugged me.
"Don't do that ever again. " I chuckled.
"Arasho."
"Guys I have something for you. " Yonhwa emerged with a DVD on his hands. " It's the first episode of my new series and you are the luckiest people who will have the opportunity to watch it before anybody else. "
"Aaw our caring leader, so generous of you!" 
"For god's shake " Minhyuk teased Jungshin throwing him a pillow.
"I need your honest opinion fellows. " He pressed start.

Needless to say that my chips were vanished in a flash. "Why don't you go get your own? " They just smiled without taking their eyes off the screen. "Seriously? " Noone replied so I sighed and enjoyed the series.
I must say, hyung has an admirable evolution as an artist. His new role is more mature than his last. Thus it helps him to show his incredible skills. Sometimes I feel like Yonhwa is our little hero. He is super talented and devoted. Hadn't rest on his laurels not even once he keeps getting better and better with the passage of time. I have to agree with Jungshin we couldn't have a better leader. You can say we are a big family after all those years.
At some point we all agreed to go sleep. In the morning a loadwork awaits us at the studio. I have some songs that I wrote lately and I need to decide which we are going to keep for our Korean comeback.
Jungshin seems to have forgotten about the "juicy news".He couldn't stop yawning so he went straight to bed.
I followed suit. Of course it's too early for me to sleep so I just grabbed a book from my night stand.
I couldn't really focus on it though. So I closed it and just laid there with my thoughts to keep me company. I still think of Aria and remembered that I still haven't decide the location of our date. Well I have some options, I'll figure this out in the morning.
Every time I repeat our moment in my mind I seem to like it even more. Just a peck but still there was a spark. And though I don't want to admit it I think she made me fall for her.... but it's too soon.

Aria's POV:

I opened my eyes. The sun hasn't set yet. I carefully released myself from Jason's hug. "That bastard fell asleep there." I thought and chuckled. I tiptoed to the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea. It's 5 am and everybody's sleeping. Silence is a scary sound yet I enjoy it because I have some time to think freely.

I my laptop and started browsing the university's page. After a while my eye caught a quite interesting anouncement. Our department helds another competition for the most innovative recipe with a huge prize. Use traditional korean ingredients and create something new. That's intriguing, but not easy especially for us who are not familiar with that cuisine. We've learnt a lot though while working there. Besides envisage what will happen if we win. Our dream of owning our own shop can finally become true. Anyway I have to talk it out with Sia first.

I tapped my fingers on the counter thinking what to do next. I ended up checking my tumblr page. Some new photos of Jonghyun appeared while scrolling down my dashboard. I stopped to check them out. Indeed he is handsome and the girl next to him is so charming. This photoshoot rocks. Comments about them being in a relationship were emerging every minute. They look good together so why not?   
Well based on what happened yesterday I hope they are not. That would really break my heart but I think he is straight forward and honest. He wouldn't do such a thing.
Ugh now this moment has come up in my mind again. I don't want to though, because when I do my cheeks turn red.Thus it's obvious that I think of something weird, questions are going to be arouse and then I am bored explaining the situation to others.
I plugged my headphones. Some indie music fits this serene morning perfectly. I came across several food blogs to help me brainstorm. I wrote down many places around the country that foodies suggested having the best street markets. I am ignorant when it comes to Asian cooking generally.Therefore the best way to win this is to blend European cuisine with local techiques and tastes. My short-term experience here proved me that as long as our idea is meat-based Koreans are going to adore it.
Except of this project another thought keeps coming to my mind. What the hell I am going to wear tonight? I don't have the girliest wardrobe, most of my outfits are casual. Well I could always borrow something from Sia. I couldn' t resist though and I made my research online for some advice on dating. I had immersed myself in that when someone threw a pillow to my face. Even though I knew who is most probably have done this. I turnt my face to prove myself and indeed it was Jason who had just woke up. I also replied with a throw.
"Come and take a look to what I've found " I waved at him with enthusiasm. I pointed at my laptop's screen "Read! "
He was looking at the screen with a dopey face, his eyes couldn't be kept open but still he managed to say with surprise " Good. "
"Isn' t it? " 
"Yeah, sure. "
"You didn' t understand a single word, right? "
"Eh? Well, you know that my brain cannot function without a cup of coffee first. "
"Get your sleepy head out of here." I pushed him and I swear he almost fell off the couch. He got his feet to the kitchen to fill up himself with caffeine.
Sia also welcomed the day with a big snore and some stretching.
"Good morning world. " Jason and I both looked at her and laughed.
"Someone woke up bright. " I .
"I am always bright. " She dashed for a cup of coffee. 
"Do you want me to tell you something that will make you even happier? "
"I am all ears. " She took a sit to the sofa next to me. She was blowing her coffee and the aroma filled the air. Had explained to her everything about the university's project, we started planning little tours to the places I've found. She seems to be so excited with the whole procedure.
" Is there any location in the vicinity that we can visit today, if possible? " 
I wish I could say yes to her. The excitement about this is mutual but today I have this one in a lifetime opportunity to actually go on a date with my dearest, darlingest Jonghyun. "Uhm well there  is a place - "
"Great when we are leaving? "
"Wait Sia, a bbq restaurant in Itaewon-dong is the nearest. "
"Cool! "
"Yeah, there is only one problem- "
"If you mean how to get there, don't worry about that. I can get you there for free. " He winked at me. "You are not helping me Jason." I thought 
"Awesome! " Sia shouted enthusiastically.
" Can you please let me finish a sentence today? " I said obviously irritated. Silence. "Good. So unfortunatelly I cannot come with you today but you are free to go and then we will discuss your feedbacks." 
"Wait, why? "
"I'll explain later. I suggest us going for grocery shopping. I found an easy Korean recipe for lunch."
I took the shopping list and we all headed to the largest market in the town. Driving there was unusually normal. We were all dressed in sweatpants, sweaters and sneakers as the day was quite cold. When we got off the car the wind was so strong. My hair flying in several directions, dancing with the wind.

Jason took a cart and followed us around the aisles. There were so many different products that we couldn't choose which was the best for us.
 A large size tea box and snacks were already into the cart. Sia and I were standing confused in front of soya sauces. There was 5 shelves with different brands of soya. After a strong competition only two bottles remained on my hands. I was taking glances at each of them alternately getting more and more baffled. 
At last Jay picked one by chance and pushed me away of that section. This dillema was not the only one though. For the rest of time Jason got berzerk. He was swerving the aisles picking any snack or soft drink was in front of his face.

"What's that? " I frowned.
"Ojingjeo." Sia and I gave him the look. "Well, it's dried roasted squid and peanuts."
Sia couldn't believe in her ears. "Why? "
"Put it back now. " I added.
"Tsk, jerks. " He went to put it back. 
"I am frustrated, what else is he going to bring now? "Sia hadn't surpassed the shock yet.
"Shrimp chips? " Jay emerged.
"Yummy! "
"Are you both insane? " She left us behind and headed to the cashiers.

Back home I changed in my pyjamas, wore my apron and started choping the vegetables while Sia was getting ready to stir-fry the marinated chicken pieces. We are having Jjim dak for lunch.Jason didn't join our company. He had a call from Eunsoo so he was busy talking with her. They seem to get along well and I am happy for that. Jason actually owes me. If it weren't for me, he may had never talked to her. Chortles were heard from the room where Jay was.
"Did you hear that? He is having a blast! " We both laughed softly.
"By the way, why you can't come tonight? " 
I checked if Jason was around and said  "I am going on a date. "
"Jinja? " She asked with her eyes wide open "With who? "
"Well, Jonghyun oppa. " Oppa? That sounds strange when I say it. I blushed.
"Jonghyun? " I could sense the incredulous tone in her voice. "How come? "
" I don' t know either. This came as a surprise for me too. "
"He must like you, lucky girl! "
"Don't get my hopes up. "
My biggest concern is that I already like him but I am not certain about his intentions. What If I end up broken hearted due to my unveilled feelings?

I washed all my worries away with a quick shower. 
Sia was laying on my bed comfortably reading her book. I wore a new pair of pyjamas and wrapped my hair with a towel. The feeling that I have nothing to wear was so strong when I opened my wardrobe that I sighed deeply.
I sighed again to grab Sia's attention. At first it didn't work. I got closer to her and  left an even deeper sigh.
"I got the message. Let me finish this page and I'll offer you my services. " She said without taking her eyes off the book.
Since I know her well enough to understand that this is going to take more than one page, I rinsed my hair trying to give them a good shape. I had a hard time with the brush but  I finally managed to tame my quite frizzy hair.
Sia left her book aside to pick some outfits for me. " Indeed you have nothing to wear."
She had already matched four different outfits for me to choose on my bed. "Wow you are the best!"
I took a quick glance and I had already eliminate half of them. "Well first let's exclude the pinky one. What were you thinking? ... Secondly this is too formal .... uhm ew I never wear this pants, I don't even remember buying them ... Dress? Cute! Not on me though. Hearts pattern REALLY? "
Sia was obviously pissed but she stood still. " The dress is just fine. Why are you so insecure with your body?"
I avoided answering her question. Instead I used her suggestions and came up with something. "What about this? "
" It's not bad. Isn't it too casual though? You are going on a date after all so I insist that a lovely dress would be perfect. "
"Ok, thank you! " She left the room. I tried on the dress and took it off after a few seconds as I felt it was slowly suffocating me. At the end I slipped into a pair of skinny jeans.A sky blue sweater, my chestnut brown oxfords and VOILA!

I took a sit looking at my phone every second just in case he was calling.
"Wow you are fast. Let me see you. " Sia came again. " I am only wondering why do you ask for my opinion when you never listen to it? "
I respond with a shrug.
"Is he coming to get you? "
"Yeap! " I said anxiously.
"Ya I am so jealous of you! Someday I' ll find my prince Charming." She murmured.
"Ok Snow, I have to go now. "
"Have fun. " She cried.

He texted me to get down. I was both excited and nervous. My feet were trembling while I was descending the stairs.  I stood still for a moment. I have to relieve the anxiety. "It's just another outing, there is nothing special about it. " I tried to convince myself.
Finally I took a deep inhale and confidently marched outside. I couldn't see him though. I was looking left and right searching for his car but nothing. I checked my phone. There was no missed calls or unread texts. I didn't know what to do, so I tried calling him.
" Where are you? I can't seem to find you. "
" Uhm look at your right. " So I did. " Heyyy!" He was waving at me. He was standing next to a vespa wearing a white helmet. 
To be honest  I find it super cute. Whenever I see a vespa scooter I recall the scene in "Roman holiday" when Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck had this crazy ride. Hope that we don't end up like them, chased by the cops.
"Safety first. " He smiled and offered me a pink helmet.
I 've never ridden something like that before. Getting on it was an actual problem for me at this particular time. Clumsily yet successfully I did it. It was quite uncomfortable since our bodies were so close. As fluttered and embarassed as I was I couldn't erase the stupid and inexplicable smile from my face. 
"Are you comfortable back there? "
"Yes, sir!... Still you haven't told me where we are going. "
"In a really cool place. "
" That cool place has a name? "
" Yeap! " He wouldn't reveal it easily.
Our ride was peaceful, he was driving in a stable rate so I wasn't scared of falling. When it comes to turns though, I lost 10 years of my life at each. I was hesitant to grab his waist to support myself but there was a time when I couldn't do it otherwise. For a moment I instinctively grabbed his black leather jacket and let it go quickly.

While we were waiting for the green light I was trying to convince myself to relax. Then Jonghyun turnt his head back, looked into my eyes. Abruptly my hands were found around him.
"Stop overthinking and just hold me tight. " That left me speechless.

Jonghyun's POV:
"Welcome to Samcheong-dong. " This is a must place to visit in Seoul. A diverse neighborhood in terms of  architecture. Hankoks remodeled to lovely cafes and restaurants. A blend of traditional and modern essense. Narrow alleys waiting to be explored. Mural art on the walls is another distinctive characteristic. 
It didn't take me long to settle to this choice. Samcheong-dong was the place I wanted to show her first.
We were strolling along the central road. Most times she was a step behind me admiring the view. Is she still awkward with me, I wondered. Slowed my pace I got next to her. She was distracted by some ornaments and wind chimes displayed outside of a shop. 

"Do you want me to buy you one, noona ? " I grabbed her hand. 
"Noona? " I guess she doesn' t like that word. She didn't left my hand though.
"I'll call you noona and I am your oppa, right?" I wanted to .
"No!"
"Yes!"
"No!" She glared.
This yes and no thing could go on for ages if my phone hadn't rang. "Who is hating me that much?" I thought. We released our hands. My manager called me to talk about a change in my schedule. Thank got it didn't take long.
" Yaa, I'll turn off this thing so no one is going to bother us from now on. You know It's been a long time since I shared a beautiful moment with someone I like. " I turnt to see her face which I assume must be already blushed. 
Instead of her, some couples were passing by me. I looked back searching for her. Our eyes met. She was now approaching me with a cup of green tea ice-cream. 
"You couldn't just buy one for me too? " I frowned.
"I didn't know if you like it." She took out two plastic spoons and gave me the one. "Since it's my first time tasting it, I didn't want to have a cup all for myself. I thought that you might want to share it with me." I was left speechless. Her big eyes looking at me. It kinda hurts. 
"Damn, this is delicious, I think I have to get you another one. " She was about to leave.
"No, no need. We will share this. " 
"Why? I like it so much that I cannot refrain myself from eating it all even if I got a brainfreeze. " She claimed.
Because it's romantic. I wanted it to say but I stopped myself. "I don't want any just enjoy it by yourself. "
At the end I got to eat some. Through our walk she surprised me by giving me few spoons of her ice-cream. Happiness was drawn all over her face. I never thought she could be even that little romantic. She is full of surprises and charms. I was in a great state of euphoria.

"Oh Hello Kitty cafe. Let's go in there." excitement surrounded her.
"Aniyaa." From the moment we came I already knew where would be the perfect place for us and it's definetely not that one.
"Waee? I know you like her too." Yeah I admit it, Hello kitty is cute.
"There are more to see while walking down the street. " I put my arm around her and our stroll  kept going for a couple more minutes with the wind dancing around us.

We were only a few steps away from our destination.
"Aria-ssi you love books, right?"
"Sure, Sia is the epitome of bookworms  but I also enjoy reading now and then. Do you? "
"Of course, I' ve read a lot especially Japanesse writers.... You know what they say? Your favourite books say a lot about yourself. So if I wanna know more about you, there is no better place than a book cafe."  
I've never been there too. I found out about it recently. The interior desing was so like a library. Wide and high cherry bookcases covered the walls, few wooden tables in the middle. The ambience was so relaxing.
Reading Aria's face I feel like I did the right choice. We sat down and ordered two cups of honey tea.
"Wow where did you find this place? I love it!"
I smiled to her. Her face is so bright while she is checking the bookshelves  next to us.
"Oh!" She saw something interesting. " I thought that there were only korean books but look what I found."
She took one from the shelf right next to her and showed it to me. To be honest I didn't really know what was it. I felt a little embarassed since she was so excited. A big question mark was hanging over me that I couldn' t hide. 
"It's Plato!" Plato? Did I learn that at school? I tried to recall that name but nothing. "De republica is one of the best philosophy books for me and the most well known work of his.  Do you know it?"
"Sure. I haven't read the whole book though." Change th subject quickly before she asks something even weirder. I was looking around to find something to steer the conversation elsewhere.
"I believe you' ll find it very intriguing, this book it gives you some food for thought ... " She kept talking while I was still searching and actually found it. I also picked something from the bookshelf. It is a must-read book and one of my favourites. I have read this book when I was in middle school but I had to reread it as a grown man to fully understand its meaning.
"Let's make a fair exchange I am gonna read your book and you are going to read what I'll give you. "
"Fair enough. " She chuckled 
"Ok this book is a treasure, it is called "Our twisted hero" by Yi Munyol "
"And it is about...? "
"That's up to you to find out. When we finish reading them we will come back here to discuss about it. Deal?"
"Deal." We made a pinky promise. So childish but we both seem to have fun with it. 
 So far so good!