What just happened?

Out of the blue

Aria’s POV:

 

I don't even notice that I'm standing  completely in total daze and confusion outside my place  until an ajuma politely asks me to move 'cause I’m blocking her way. The extra hours I had to work today are catching up with me. I feel exhausted yet all I can think about is him. Did he really ask me out? On A REAL DATE?

 

Definitely I didn’t see that coming.
My confusion but also my joy is palpable. I don’t know how to react properly. I don’t even know if he was just joking. I mean there is a possibility I have misinterpreted his friendly intentions and end up in the friend- zone which is not bad, yet disappointing. 
I try to avoid making big, romantic dreams to prevent myself from a heartbreak but it’s not that easy.
“What’s wrong with you?” Sia keeps asking me all day.
“Nothing just tired!” 
“Aah yeah today was just another hard day at work! You know I thought that since the head chef finally appeared he would give us some advice to become better but he is just judging us. How annoying?”
“I think he is fine. I like how precisely and neat it’s his work. Of course, I hate being judged but who likes it? We just have to be patient; after all he is our boss. “I walked away to give myself some private time to analyze the situation but over thinking makes things even worse.

A cup of tea may help a little.
Only one thing, we are out of it.
“Sia there is no tea in the cupboard, do you want to go out for a walk and buy some?”
“Why not? Bubble tea? “
“As you wish! “


The fresh air in my lungs, the smell of my mango bubble tea made my problem sweeter. Why can I relax and enjoy the fact that I have the chance to spend time with him even friendly? Why did I leave him conquer my mind, when I barely know him?
Lovely couples are passing by holding hands, gazing the night sky, acting all romantic. Normally I feel awkward around them, all these cuddling and snogging make me want to puke, but this time is different. I look at them, thinking how wonderful would be to have one of these moments with him.


Sia remained silent for an impressive amount of time. When she no longer could maintain the silence, she left a sigh and said once more:
“What’s wrong with you? And don’t tell me “nothing” again.”
I don’t know how to explain her, what is going on, it’s too early. In fact I don’t even know myself.
“I already told you, I am just in a bad mood, nothing more. “ 
My head aches like hell. I just want to forget it for now and enjoy the moment. 
The moon is one step from being full; its subtle and soft light strikes the water. Staring at this path of light and water I want to write a poem dedicated to this natural beauty but since I am bad with the words I will just stick up to cooking.
“It’s beautiful, isn’t it? This night calls for some romance.”
I smiled at her. “You need a boyfriend immediately!”
“I think we both do.” Unfortunately I cannot deny it.
We both sighed and continued admiring the view.
“So, midnight snacks? “ I suggested.
“You bet!”

 


We brought back some kimbap and fishcakes to share with Jason who never says no to food. 
He opened the door wearing only a T-shirt and a pair of boxers, holding a playstation gamepad. 
“SNAACK TIME! “ Sia marched into his apartment and set them on the coffee table.
Jason was playing one of my favourite video games “God of war” so I didn’t hesitate to help him kill some Olympian gods. 
“Thanks oppa, I had a long time to feel as a semi god.” Indeed this game despite its slight brutality it helps me to relieve stress, nerves.
“I should thank you, I was stuck to that part for a half an hour. I was about to give up. “
“Can you turn this off now, my drama is about to start in a minute. “
“Oh yeah, “Fated to love you”, we can’t miss that.” 
Both Sia and I looked at him confused. “Do you...?”
“Of course, and I can say I have a second lead syndrome. Why the Snail cannot give an opportunity to Daniel? “
“But you have to admit Gun-ssi brings laughter and he is super hot with the new haircut.”
“Uhm I see your point sis but ...”
“Shh it’s on.” Sia didn’t let him finish his reasoning.

Both of them were laughing and commenting on the show but I am back to my maze of thoughts. Though, I don’t want to be there again. 
“I told you to chill out. Whatever happens you are gonna deal with it.” I whispered to myself.
Lying back to the couch I checked my phone.

< Missed calls (1) >
Ooh lord, did he? ...did he call me?

To my disappointment it was my mum. 
I’ll call her tomorrow to hear her complaining for my casualty to put my phone on silent mode.
But what happened to him, did he forget it already?
Naah it’s too early for him to contact me... Right?


“NO PREVIEEEW! Why are they doing this to us? I can’t wait another week for some smooch on the lips.” Sia is whining.
On the other hand Jason’s attention was drawn by my face expression. “What’s wrong Aria? “
“That’s what I keep asking her all day. “
I remained silent, Jason gave me a big hug and said: “Come on cheer up, think that next week you are going to see CNblue live. “
“What? But?“ 
At this time Sia started throwing things to him cushions, teddy bears, everything in front of her was flying towards Jason’s head.
“Nooo, don’t you dare hurt miss piggy! “

I put my hands to cover my face trying to avoid a hit and stop their silly game.
“Hey guys... GUYS CEASE-FIRE... (They finally stopped) I need someone to explain me what’s going on briefly.” 
They both sat down and told me the whole story, how Sia got some free tickets for CNblue’s concert in Seoul.
“I wanted to surprise you but this babo cannot keep a secret.”
“I thought she knew.”
Their arguing kept going on and on. ? 
I got up and hugged both of them from the back “Thank you guys, you are the best friends in the world, it was the best surprise ever.” This beautiful moment ended up with a kiss on their cheeks which left them paralyzed since they are not used to this treatment.


...

 

It’s Thursday’s night and still no news from him. Day by day my mind is getting more and more perplexed. Only while I am working, my mind finds some peace. I am still reticent about my feelings, so I cannot share them with anyone.
I cannot fall asleep either, even though I am worn out. Sleep takes me away for a little time and then I am awake again.
I couldn’t take this anymore so I sauntered to the kitchen to treat myself a glass of milk, they said it helps you with insomnia. 
I checked my phone again and for one more time missed calls from my mum. What a surprise (!) I ignored them and forced my body to the bedroom. In the middle of the way I had to turn back to the sound of my ringtone. I have to pick it up this time otherwise my mummy will disown me.
“Mum what do you want at 2 am? I told you we have a huge time difference.”
“Excuse me?”...
“Yobosseyo?” Who can be at this ungodly hour?
“Uhm Jonghyun imnida, sorry if I woke you up. “ 
I opened my eyes wide and checked the name on the screen. Yeah I didn’t hear wrong it was him.

Coughed to clear my throat and put the phone back to my ear.
“Oh hey! I didn’t expect your call. How are you? “ My voice is slightly trembling.
“You should have expected it! I owe you a date remember? “ 
I laughed nervously and replied “Yeah.” Of course I do, the thought of it haunts me for days. 
“Saturday night?”
“Aha! Sounds great! "
“So I’ll pick you up at 8 ok? ”
“Ok! “

 

“Goodnight then, sleep tight! “ He said
“Goodnight! “

 


Jonghyun’s POV:

 

 

This week my schedule is a mess. Sometimes I wish I could clone myself so I can be anywhere at any time.
Next week we hold a concert in Seoul, our new Japanese album is to be released, my new collaborations have to be promoted, photo shoots, interviews. At first is fun but after a time I get tired. All I need is my guitar to create good music that’s what people want. My music tells more about me than an interview on Ceci magazine.
This time I am collaborating with Melody day, pretty girls with nice voices. It’s a blessing that I am working with such beautiful and talented people.
There is another girl though to whom I own a date. I thought it would be a good idea to keep it simple and take her somewhere cozy for a coffee. This way I'll get to know more about her.

At the end of the day, late at night when everyone was sleeping I found the chance to ring her. Her sweet voice aded my ears. Our conversation was quite awkward so I think whether she likes me so much or she is still starstrucked but I bet on the first option.

We hanged up and I stood in the corner of our living room staring out at our dark neighborhood from the window. I wasn't thinking of something specifically, my mind was just travelling. Satisfaction is what I feel right now after everything is set. I took a last glance outside and turned to go to sleep.

 

"Yaaa! Why are you here? You almost scared me. "
"Almost? " He smirked.
Jungshin was standing right behind me, I don't know for how long. That brat always bothers me. He is supposed to be sleeping.

"Are you spying on me now? "

"Do you have a date? Does CEO know about this? Was it Aria or Cha-Hee ?... Yaa you are a two timer I got you good!"
"Shh... Of course it was Aria why are you bringing up Cha-Hee? "
"Come on I saw you flirting with her on the dressroom, she even gave you her number. " How on earth does he know so much.
"Are you a stalker?"
"No, just an observer. "
Ughh.. now he is making fun of me "Go to bed! "
"Araso you will tell me tomorrow. Jalja!"
Aishh.... the maknae is trying to interrogate me?

Cha-Hee is a pretty woman for my taste and since she showed interest on me, I didn't resist and played her game I don't know why this is bad... Why am I even excusing myself I did nothing wrong I am just a man.

I laid down but still thinking what Jungshin said. Two timer? What? I neither said I love Aria nor Cha-Hee. Yaa why is this bothering me? There is no reason to listen to that kiddo.
Two timer.. tsk

 

...

 


I didn't manage to sleep well last night. Now I have puffy eyes and an annoying headache. I had a nap in the dressing room but it was not enough.
I have my makeup and hair done for the photoshoot. The concept is quite black, rock and y. I got dressed and checked myself in the mirror " I really look like a vampire" 
"A charming vampire! " 
" Ah thank you Chahee-ah." I chuckled. 'You look great too!"
"Thank you! " She said playfully. 
I can see she is playing with me. She is provoking me with every little move of hers. Last time she obviously pretended falling and landed in my arms, the way she is smiling at me at random times, the odd excuses she finds just to start a conversation and last but not least giving me her phone number; all leads to one thing. She is flirting with me.
I cannot say I am not fluttered!
"Guys are you ready for the shoot? "
"Yeah sunbaenim! "
"Let's go before he gets mad. " I whispered to her. 
I grabbed her hand and lead her to the set.

"Ok, I want you to give me a rock, slightly fierce but simultaneously relaxed pose." Isn't he asking so much?

" Jonghyun pass your hand around her, I want to feel that you are close yet independent as a real rock couple. "

After a couple of shoots the photographer seemed impressed by our frames.

"Good ... great .... Ok guys we are done, you' ve worked hard! "
All pleased we finished this quickly so I can finally go back home and sleep some more.
I changed and dashed to the parking lot to leave this place as soon as possible

 

"Oppa... oppa wait for me. " Chahee had followed me down. 

"Oppa do you want to go for dinner together tonight to celebrate. "
"Celebrate, what? "
" Uhmm.... our succesful collaboration. "
" Ah I would love to but I am exhausted I need some rest. Maybe some other time. "
I opened the door to my car but she was still standing there. 
"Ah oppa can you do me a favour? "
"Everything for my Chahee! "
She giggled " Can you drive me home? "
" You don't have a driver ? "
" Uhm.. he is busy so no I haven't one right now. " 
"Ok then I' ll be your chauffer today. " I winked to her.

At this time there is a huge traffic in Gangnam boulevard. We are stuck here for almost 10 minutes. This is so nerve wracking. Chahee the radio and chilled to her seat. She seems to enjoy it while I am on the verge of falling asleep. My jaw hurts whenever I yawn.

"I hope you don't have any plans, we will be stuck here for a long time." I turned to her but she had already fell asleep.
I rest my cheek on my hand, my bored face is looking outside. Drivers fighting, beeping, a total chaos. I closed the window before my head starts to ache.

Chahee hadn't wake up until we reached her house. I carefully shaked her arm but she didn't respond. Hmm... she is in a deep sleep. I opened the door for her and sweetly called her name several times when she finally awoke.
"Ooh oppa I am sorry I didn't .... "
"It's ok, I can feel you. If I were you I would do the same but someone had to drive. So go inside and relax, I 'll see you again. " I am waiting for her to enter the building and I observe the way she looks from behind.

In the middle she ran back to me, hugged and kissed me at both cheeks. I didn't know we were THAT CLOSE.
"Thank you oppa, for everything I don't know what would I' ve done without your support. " She dropped some tears.
"Ya, ya why are you doing this? "
"I am sorry, it's from the pressure. "
"Let me give you an advice, go inside, have a cup of tea and always remember that you are a talented woman but nothing is gained without a fight. You are a fighter."
"Wow oppa, you should be a councelor. "
"Yeah, I know right? Anyway I gotta go please cheer up, you look better when you smile."
I waved her goodbye and headed home. This time to avoid the traffic at the main lane I chose another route in which you can see old traditional korean and chinese restaurants. Though abandoned, they recall the Seoul of 60's. From the busy and vivacious Seoul I prefer this peaceful and a bit scary place where no one can interrupt my way. Aside of the stupid yet cute kitties which are the most careless animal I know.


Finally arrived home, I got out of the car super excited. I can feel the softness of my bed in my whole body. This is an incentive for me to move faster.

Nobody is here yet.In a jump I am laying in my bed, leaving the world behind me, just me and my dreams.

 


Sia's POV:

 

 

I don't know what is it but I am certain. She definetely hides something from me. But why? After so many years of our friendship lying to me, it's not even worth a try. I try to figure out what might bothers her but since she is reluctant to talk about it, I can't help.

Anyway TGIF! Yeayyy it's Friday, the most beloved day of the week. The day when you don't really care what time you are going to bed and the alarm clock takes a day off.
Now I am stuck here at work. I would never imagine that baking would be so boring. I feel like I am doing the same things again and again. What I want is the freedom to create something new not just doing what I am told to. That's why I thought of experimentng recipes at home with Aria. She also had a good idea of making videos or may write a book. We don't know yet but we have to do something on our own to give our career a boost.
"The lemon pie is ready chef. Give me the next order please. "
The restaurant is on fire tonight. Orders are coming one after the other one. I am so jealous of the people outside the kitchen, couples, friends are gathered here to spend their Friday night while I am here taking orders from my headchef whom I hate. I don't know something on him doesn't feel right to me. He seems so lonely even on our lunch break he sits on a corner alone, quickly swallowing his sandwich and then back to the kitchen. Everyday the same thing, I start to think he is a robot.
"Sia can you pass me the flour please? "
"Yes, here you are."
"Oh thank you! "
"Psst... Aria do you want us to go for shopping tomorrow? We need a cute outfit for the concert. " I whispered to her so our headchef won't shh us.
"Ok we will talk about it, now get back to work. " 
The headched faked coughing. 
"Is there anything you want Aria-ssi? "
"No, sir! "
"Good! then stop murmuring with your friend, it's annoying. "
Actually you are the annoying idiot in this room. I wish I could say that out loud.

...

 

 

The restaurant is finally closed and our friday night is about to start.
"Aria what would you like to do now?"
"Hmm... sleep? "
"Oh come on! It's friday. "
"So?? "
"We cannot stay home. " I said surprised.
"I can. Ask Jason to join you. "
I crossed my hands and frowned. "Promise me tomorrow we will do something. "
"Uum I don't know I have some plans but we will see."
"Plans? "
"Don't even ask. "
"Why? "
"Long story I'll tell you later"
"Alright. " I said hesitantly.


....

 

The streets surrounding our building were all dark. There must be a problem with the lights because the rest of the town is shining bright. I couldn't even see where is the entrance. I tripped over something and slightly hurt my ankle.
"Aria can you assist me here? "
"You know, if you waited for me that wouldn't have happened. Follow me. "
"My ankle hurts I cannnot walk for long. "
"What do you want me to do? " 
"Carry me home. "
...
"No." She drawled.

At the end she offered her arm to me as a support. We entered our apartment,feeling releived that the electricity inside works just fine.
" Here put some ice and you will be fine. "
"Thanks, it already feels better. "


Aria got into her room to change and I checked our fridge to see if there is somenthing to relieve my craves. Ooh I think we have some ice-cream. I observed the shelves up and down relentlesly but nothing.
"Did you eat all of the ice cream, even though you know how much I love it? " I whinned.
"What? I didn't hear you. " She came out in the kitchen wearing her hello kitty pyjamas.
"Where is the rest of the ice cream? Your mother didn't tell ya that you have to share with others. '
"Are you accusing me of something? "
"Uhm isn't it obvious? If it's not you, then who?
"I don't know, you are quite forgetful so maybe you did it. "
"Oh believe me I would remember that. "
"It's not you, clearly not me sooo who else knows our password, sneaked in like a rat and snached it away? "
"Damn, Jason "
"Correct. Congratulations you are the winner of 1 million dollars. " 
I laughed sarcastically. " Not funny."

I left the apartment on a hurry to have a talk with Jason. I am ringing the bell, knocking the door but noone is replying. I guess he is out. Ugh... I have to think of a good revenge but first let's buy some ice cream.

 


Aria's POV:

 


My head is still hurting. I m massaging my forehead with my fingers to alleviate the ache though it never works. I fixed myself a sandwich and a cup of honey tea. This is what I call a relaxing friday night me in my pyjamas, cuddling with the cushions. I turnt on the TV to check If "Crime scene" is still on. I enjoy solving murder cases, it's fun... dead people is no fun but you know.... ahm...ah... oh forget it, I just like it.

Now that Sia is not here it's the perfect time to call Jonghyun. I want to be certain about our date tomorrow.

I dialed his number, my finger is on the verge of hitting call. Second thoughts keep me from doing it. What if he is busy? Well he won't answer it then.
I am a little shy what I am going to say when he picks it up?
Uhm Hello, how are you? That would be fine.
Should I mention who am I?

Ugh he called you first he must have saved your number.
Ok, I'll call him.... or better not.
I am soooo changeable.

 

Well after some thought I ringed him.

 

Oh lord he answered it.
(a second of silence )
"Aria is that you?" 
"Hey! Aria here. Am I bothering you? " I said shaking.
"Not at all. Actually I was about to call you too." Really??
"Oh nice timing! What for? "
"Uhm you can go first. "
"Ok, I just wanted to know if our date - "
"Oh don't bother asking, it's definetely on I' ll come and get you, remember?" He ensured me.
" I still think it would be better to meet straight at the coffee shop."
" Tsk tsk It won't be a date then. "


...

 


"Anyway I want to ask you a favor? "
"What can I possibly do for you? " I said hesitantly.
"I want to follow my order and come downstairs to see me. "
"What? "
"Look out of your window. "
I took a glance over the window and there he is, standing out in the dark alley waving at me. 
This man can be so sweet!
"I am in my pyjamas -"
"Oh come down quickly no one cares what you wear. "
"But still ..."


"Ok I get it. I'll see you tomorrow then." He replied disappointed.
"Ya wait I am coming. Don't hang up. "
"I told you I am leaving."

I descented the stairs fast almost tripped but I need to catch him. 


I looked around once to the left and then to the right. I recognised his back figure and chased after him.
"Jonghyun-ah wait for me. " My heart is pounding in a fast pace. "Aish.. " I can't believe I am running after a man.
He abruptly stopped, turned back looking inside my eyes, making me feel so uncomfortable.I stopped too, stood for a while to cherish him looking at me with his lovely face.
"Don't make me come there with those slippers." It's kind of embarrasing to walk around on your pink fluffy rabbit slippers. Don't you think?
He chuckled and reduced the distance between us to a few centimetres.
From being all relaxed I got nervous.Please don't start sweating or shaking just stay calm. I clenched my fists, swinging them nervously.
Looking down to avoid the eye contact I coughed and then sneezed. "So what happened? "
"Nothing, I just came to give you what Yonhwa promised. " Two tickets emerged on his fingers as in a magic trick.
"Oh thank you! But you could have given those to me tomorrow. "
" I couldn't wait until tomorrow to see your smiling face. " He said with his deep voice and winked.
"Ok, that was cheesy." I thought smilingly.
He is still staring into my eyes and this time I cannot escape from his gaze.
Suddenly he gently leans over me, extending his hand towards my cheek.
My reaction was to look at him with eyes wide open, holding still. As immobile as a statue.
What is he doing? My head is a mess right now.
He takes a step back so as to look at me. "You had some breadcrumps on your face. "
"Oh - I raised my hand to further clean my cheek - am I ok now? You know I just got from work and wanted a snack while - ."
Jonghyun silenced me with his soft lips against mine.
I gasp and close my eyes, savoring this moment.
I feel my limps turned into liquid.
I want to stop him but at the same time i want to brush my fingers throuh his hair.
But then he steps back and i'm left breathless.
Even though it was just a peck on the lips, it was enough to fill my stomach with butterflies
No.No butterflies. It was more like killer bees. There are no words to accurately describe that feeling.
I can't move and I blankly stare at the ground.
He sighs.
And comes near me again.
I can feel his hot breath against the skin of my neck when he whispers into my ear 
"Sweet dreams Aria.See you tomorrow." His confident smirk is full on.
And then he just leaves.
His back is facing me now.
And I finally release the breath I didn't notice I was holding.

I took one more deep breath trying to realize what just happened. I turned my back too and sauntered straight home bitting my downlip after I had replayed the kiss scene several times. I am on cloud 9 and nothing can get me down right now. This little moment had a palpable effect on me and I fail to hide it.