VII

Fairytale Love: The Little Mermaid
CHAPTER VII

 

Eunji woke up only to see a white ceiling in front of her. She tried to sit up with her weak body when someone suddenly rushed to her side.

"Hey, are you okay now?" Baekhyun asked worriedly

"Oh... Baekhyun. Yeah I'm fine, but where am I?" She asked after she sat up comfortably with the help of Baekhyun.

"You fainted and now you’re here in the hospital" he answered, getting a chair and sitting there

"Hospital? What's that?" She asked curiously and made Baekhyun look confusedly at her

"Is your amnesia that severe to make you forget even the basic facts of life? A hospital is a place where sick people are treated" he answered

"Oh" she just said and lowered her head, she mentally faced palm because of her dumb question, she should be more careful.

Soon Chorong and Junmyeon entered the room and immediately checked on her as they saw her awake. Baekhyun asked them about Eunji's condition and they said that it was just because of the fall and fatigue. They also instructed Eunji to stay in the hospital for another day.

 

 


 

 

When Eunji went back to their house the other day, they didn’t let her to work, which she actually argued about. She wanted to work since she didn't have anything to do but Chorong and Junmyeon were strict about their decision. Although she continued her lessons in coffee making, she was not allowed to be tired. She actually wondered why and even asked Chorong why were they not letting her to work and they answered her about her fall last time but she knew that there was something more to what they said. As if they were keeping a secret from her.

 

Five days. Five days had passed since her fall. She was currently in her room sitting and facing the table. She just wrote down what happened to her these past few days. She was already staying on land for almost two weeks, and she hadn’t done anything yet about her mission.

She sighed as she stared out the window. Chorong told her earlier that she could start working again tomorrow provided that she only does light works. Also for the past days that she was off from work, most of her time she spent on her room, and when she went down to the cafe, she just stayed at the corner observing the people. She also noticed that Baekhyun seemed suspicious on her again, and Chorong and Junmyeon seemed like they were hiding something. She then remembered what Baekhyun had told her when she fainted she was brought to the hospital. The hospital was a place where the sick was taken care of. She then remembered what the other mermaids had told her before about human doctors. Doctors have the ability to know what was happening to one’s body. A doctor can know if the person was ill or hiding something about his/her body. And based on her observation when she was at the hospital, she could tell that doctors were scary.

"Omo... did they know about my secret?" She mumbled with this realization. She was unconscious when the doctors examined her, maybe the doctors find something odd about her body, because she was not a real human, because her legs were not real. Maybe they already knew about her secret and told Chorong. Chorong had told her to be careful especially on her lower region, and it can only mean one thing, her legs.

"Is that the reason why? But what should I do?" She was not really sure if they knew but there was a possibility. "Should I ask them? ... No maybe it's safer to pretend that I have amnesia." She sighed, a bit frustrated. Holding her tummy, she actually felt something odd about her body, but she didn’t know why. Maybe the doctors have done something to her, but she really wondered why she felt empty, she felt that something was taken away.

“I will never go to the doctor again. Ever” she said before lying down on her bed.

 

 


 

 

The next day, she woke up early, excited to work again. With her stay on land, she learned that it was not easy to live there and you have to work to fill your stomach. It was kind of same with their system under the sea but since she was a princess there, she didn’t experience working. And for her, life on land was harder because she had to make more adjustments due to her being a mermaid. But no matter how hard it was, she actually liked this new experience.

It was early in the morning before the café’ opened and she was busy wiping the tables, and as she did, she could feel eyes set on her. She looked up and saw Chorong watching her do her job so she just smiled at her and continued. After a while, she still feel that someone was staring and looked up, this time seeing Baekhyun observing her, but when Baekhyun saw her looking, he looked away immediately. Kyungsoo was the earliest of the four boys to arrive and he was already at the kitchen. Soon enough, Jongin also arrive.

“Oh noona! Are you okay to work already?” Jongin asked her, with her stay there, Jongin and Sehun started calling her noona, even if they didn’t have an idea of her age, they just thought that she was older than them. And besides, Jongin and Sehun were the youngest there. Kyungsoo treated her as a same-age friend, calling her just by her name, but they were not too close. Kyungsoo was actually a reserved kind of guy, the quiet one.  Meanwhile, Chanyeol insisted on being called oppa. The giant said that he wanted someone to call him oppa, he kind of like it being called that way. Chanyeol, being the said happy virus of the group was the closest to her next to Chorong. Jongin was also a bit close to her, the guy was easy to get along with. Sehun treated her nicely but the maknae can be a little brat sometimes, proven by Jongin.

“Thanks for your concern Jongin, but yeah I’m already fine, I already rested for what, 5 days? Don’t you think it’s enough?” she said, dreading the five days rest

“Just be careful noona” Jongin said before walking away to the locker.

“Uhm” she just nodded and smiled, she was glad that Jongin was concerned towards her. He was also the one who helped her when she fell that day and Jongin also helped her a lot in the café.

“Can he be the one?” she mumbled

 

 


 

 

The day ends like usual. They were tired from the whole day work but still Chanyeol and Baekhyun made everyone laugh with their silly jokes. This was their stress reliever, they all joke around and forget how tired they were. Eunji was thankful for everyone that was taking care of her, especially Jongin who’s always by her side that day. He didn’t know what happened in the hospital but he’s naturally caring to people around him and didn’t want Eunji to be tired.

After dinner, which they all shared together, the four boys already went to their home, Baekhyun in his room and Chorong and Junmyeon on the living room just watching television. Eunji also went to her room and wrote about her day. On another page of her notebook she started listing the names of the six guys she have met on land. After writing all their names, she crossed out Junmyeon and Baekhyun’s name.

 

Kim Junmyeon

Byun Baekhyun

Kim Jongin

Do Kyungsoo

Oh Sehun

Park Chanyeol

 

From the start, she knew that Junmyeon was not included in her possible target so she crossed him out. She crossed Baekhyun out because she believed that the guy would never fall in love with her. She stared on the names and set her eyes on Jongin’s name, thinking if it was possible for Jongin to fall for her. She just met 6 guys on land, and as she got closer to them, it seemed that she didn’t want any of them to be the one. She didn’t want to get any of their hearts.

And that was the time that she realized that her mission was not easy, she had to find someone and make him fall in love with her but in the end she need to get his heart and offer it to the sea witch so she could be a human completely. How could she make someone fall for her and just get his heart without feeling guilty and affected? She had feelings and she didn’t know if she could even do something so horrible to someone who just loves her.

But even so, she still had to try. She sacrificed so much for her dreamed human legs, her power and her crown as a princess, so she couldn’t just waste it and die in the end.

And so Jongin was her first subject.