IV

Fairytale Love: The Little Mermaid
CHAPTER IV

 

 

All day, Eunji just stayed at the corner of the café or at the room she was staying in. It was already her third day staying at the café and again, she sat at the corner watching the others do their work. She can walk properly now but still trips every once in a while, and the others thought that it was because she’s just clumsy.

She looked at the café, not too much people inside, Sehun and Kai even have the time to play and tease each other. Baekhyun was busy doing coffee, Chanyeol attending a customer and Kyungsoo and Junmyeon were at the kitchen with Chorong. Suddenly a hand tapped her shoulder, she look up and saw Chorong

“Bored?” Chorong asked raising both her eyebrows

“A bit” Eunji answered, smiling at her unni

“Come on then” Chorong said and held Eunji’s hand

“Where?” Eunji asked, shocked by the sudden offer of Chorong

“Just come with me” Chorong pulled her up from her seat and to the door, Chorong then stopped and turned to the other boys

"Wait unni"

"Boys, I'm going out with Eunji for a while. Take care of here okay?" She said to them and pulled Eunji out the door.

"Unni, where are we going?" Eunji asked while she was being pulled, she looked back in the café and she could see the confused face of the boys inside, of course Chorong just suddenly pulled her out.

"Just having a walk, I know you're already bored inside" Chorong explained and giggled, like she was excited to what will happen

"Thanks" Eunji muttered simply. They climb down at the 5 stepped mini marble stairs before landing their feet on the sand.

"No worries" Chorong smiled and wrap her arms around Eunji’s. Eunji felt happy. Chorong have told her, that even though she was with even even for just three days now, she felt that she was her sister. And Eunji could feel Chorong’s sincerity, and she could feel that Chorong was really happy around her. And of course, she also felt that way. Chorong really was like an older sister, she really cared for her. Just like how her cousin Xiumin have cared for her.

They walk along the beach and stop by stores after store or just talk to each other. They entered a small store that sells souvenirs. While they were walking, she glanced at the vast sea, the sun reflecting on the clear water, she wondered how as the palace doing. How is Xiumin doing and how was her father doing? Was he even looking for her? Was he even worried that she was gone? Maybe yes, but probably it was because of the plan with the King of the East Sea Palace and not because she was his daughter.

"Waah it's beautiful" Chorong said as she saw different things inside a store that they just entered. Eunji shifts her attention back to Chorong and also look around but her eyes were stuck on a notebook designed with shells. 

"Like it?" Chorong asked, noticing her look on the notebook

"Yeah, it's beautiful" She answered

"You can get it" Chorong said

"Really?!" Eunji exclaimed looking at Chorong with bright eyes

"Of course, oh pick also a pen, so it's complete" Chorong laughed and ruffled her hair

Eunji picks a pen from the bunch showed to her by Chorong, the pen also has a design that reminds one of the sea. After she picked, Chorong went to the old lady and paid for it. Eunji saw her and realized that it is not free

"Oh right, humans need to pay for things with money" she mumbled to herself. She have some knowledge about humans since she always observe them and read about them and asked about them to some mermaids.

Chorong gave her the things she bought.

"Unni how can I earn money?" Eunji then asked looking at the things that Chorong gave her,

"Huh? What for?" Chorong asked

"To pay you, for this" She looked at Chorong

"Eunji don't mind it. They’re just small things. No need to pay for it" The older assured

"But unni"

"Eunji just treat them as my gift to you" She said and smiled

"But, I've been staying at your house for a while, and you even give me food. I should pay for it and I don't want to be a burden" She lower her head, Chorong was too nice and she don’t want to abuse her kindness

"Ah, well, do you know how to cook?" Chorong said after thinking for a while, though she didn’t want Eunji to work, if it’s making Eunji feel burdened then she will let her.

"No" She answered, of course, she didn’t know. First, because there’s no fire underwater, their food were mostly sea plants. Second, she was a princess and servants were the one who prepared her food.

"How about brewing coffee?"

"No. But I can learn right? Promise, I'll learn about it and help at the cafe" Eunji promised. If she didn’t know, then she could learn.

"Well that's great; I'm excited to see you in uniform. I know it will suit you!" Chorong beamed excitedly. Maybe the idea of Eunji working wasn’t that bad. She seemed like a mom excited for her daughter’s first job.

They have a chat again while walking back. Mostly it was Chorong who talked and she almost told her everything about her and Junmyeon; from their not-so-nice first meeting up to their wedding that was already planned and will about to happen next year. Chorong and Junmyeon met 5 years ago at a beach. Chorong was at a vacation that time and so was Junmyeon, but it was not a pleasant one. They fight actually over a small thing. Back in Seoul, they met each other again at the same university then their love story began. They were both kids of rich families so they got no problem about their families. 

"So you're both the prince and princess of your palace?" Eunji asked and made Chorong chuckled at the way she said it. It's like she was a kid absorbed in fairytales.

"Well not really, but yeah I'm treated as a princess by my family. But not the palace thing haha. Junmyeon also is one of his family's princes, if you call it like that" Chorong said

"So he has a brother?" Eunji asked

"Yup" Chorong nodded

"But I'm glad to know that you're not arranged. Usually princess and prince were arranged to marry right" Eunji answered, remembering her supposedly situation, if she didn’t ran away… no swan away, rather.

"Well yeah, that's why I'm glad that we have the same background, so we don't have to face dramas like those in the dramas" Chorong said, even quoting the word drama

When they get back to the café, Eunji went up to the room while Chorong went to the kitchen. The sun was already setting and everyone was busy downstairs, except for her. Chorong said that she could start tomorrow. She sat on the chair and put the notebook and pen in front of her.

“But what will I do with this?” she asked herself “Ah!” She said thinking an idea.

She opened the notebook and skipped a page before started writing on the second. She wrote about her 3 days of stay at that place. On her first day, when she met them and Chorong’s kindness towards her. The second boring day and her tour with Chorong earlier on the third day.

She made it as a diary and decided to write her progress living as a human. She only had four months. She had to find someone who will love her and get his heart.

“There are six boys here; minus Junmyeon-shi there are five. Could it be one of them?” she said as she thinks. But actually she felt bad that she had to get their heart, and deep down her heart she wished that it was not one of them.

 

 


 

 

The next morning, Eunji woke up early and prepared. After showering, she went back to her room and saw Chorong inside

“Unni?” she asked

“Eunji! Here’s your uniform” she gives her a black skirt and white long sleeve blouse.

“Thank you unni, I never thought you have an extra” She chuckled

“I just keep it in case we have a female staff, but then we hired all boys” Chorong laughed

“I’ll change now” Eunji said and Chorong nodded

“Okay, I’ll wait downstairs”

Eunji proceeded to wear the uniform that Chorong gave and she matched it with black socks and black shoes which were also prepared by Chorong. She combed her hair before going downstairs, it was still early and Chorong with Baekhyun and Junmyeon were waiting downstairs, the four others have not yet arrived.

“Unni” Eunji called

“Uwaa! You’re so pretty Eunji-ah! Right guys?” She beamed excitedly as she pulled Eunji to the boys

Eunji blushed at her compliment. She looked at the two guys to see their reaction, Junmyeon just smiled and nodded while Baekhyun seemed a bit shock, which Eunji was confused of, before he looked away.

“Okay, hmm, let me think. Ah let’s practice first. Taking orders! Come on!” Chorong pulled her again and started teaching her things about the café and such. Chorong pretended to be the customer and Eunji stand in front of her and take her order

“Good morning ma’am, may I take your order?” Eunji said with a smile

“Very good!” Chorong clapped

“Is that right unni?” Eunji asked worriedly

“Yes, okay now serving orders, come on” Chorong stand and went to the counter and Eunji followed her

“Whoa, what are they doing?” Chanyeol asked when entered the café

“And why is she wearing the uniform?” Sehun added

“She’ll start working here” Baekhyun simply said as he observed Eunji

“Cool” Jongin said and smiled

“Not really, I doubt her” Baekhyun said, not even taking his eyes away from Eunji

“Tch tch, you haven’t even seen the real thing” Chanyeol said

After a while of practicing the getting-orders and serving, the café already started the day. They already opened and soon a customer comes in.

“Eunji go” Junmyeon said

“Ah yes” Eunji went to the customer and showed her best smile, taking a deep breath “Good morning, may I take your order ma’am?”

“Ah, black coffee and pancakes” the customer said and smiled

“Is that all ma’am?”

“Yes”

“Please wait for a while” she said and smiled again. She walked back to the counter and sighed, she actually felt nervous.

“Good job”

“It’s just the first, here’s the order” She said and gives Sehun the small paper.

Eunji is also the one who served the order to the lady; she’s always smiling that made the lady smile too.

“It’s the first time I saw you here, are you new?” the customer asked

“Ah yes ma’am” She answered

“I love your smile, it’s so sincere and brighten up the day”

“Thank you” She said before going back

 


 

The morning went well for them, Eunji was doing well and the others were working hard too. Eunji just placed an order when Sehun called her to serve an order. She gladly accepted it and took it to the owner. She took the coffee cup and about to place it on the table when it slipped on her hand causing for it to spill.

“OH MY GOD!” The lady abruptly stand up when some coffee spilled on her dress

“OMO, I’m so sorry” Eunji quickly bowed and wipe it but the lady pushed her hand away harshly

“Yah! Are you stupid? You just ruined my dress!” The girl shouted at her, the other customers started to look at them and Chorong immediately run to them. Eunji kept bowing and constantly said sorry without stop

“What’s happening here?” Chorong asked

“Ugh, this stupid girl here just spilled coffee on my dress!”

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to” Eunji said, almost near to tears

“Ugh” the lady rolled her eyes at Eunji

Eunji was then pulled away by Baekhyun while Chorong talked with the lady, Junmyeon also went there. Eunji was already about to cry. Her tears would fall soon but she held it in.

“I’m sorry” She said to Baekhyun, cannot even look directly at him

“Why are you saying sorry to me? Aish, I knew it; there’ll be trouble with you” Baekhyun said, holding his forehead

“Baekhyun don’t be too harsh on her, she’s just new. And it’s an accident, it can happen. Even Sehun and Kai experienced that before” Kyungsoo said, he knew that she was about to cry, so he wanted to be a little nice

Eunji can no longer held her tears and started to cry quietly while her head is hung low

“Yah! Don’t cry!” Baekhyun said, but more like shouted at her that made her cry more. He didn’t mean to shout at her, he was just shocked that she was crying.

Soon, the lady went out of the café “Next time, train you workers well and don’t hire idiots”

Junmyeon and Chorong went to them, they already settled the thing.

“Eunji” Chorong called her softly

“Unni, I’m sorry” Eunji cried