one

Lets waste time chasing cars

Park Chanyeol, the tall guy who always came in late to Baekhyun’s statistics class, the guy with the ‘yoda-like’ ears, who sat in the back row of Baekhyun’s economics class. The guy with the goofy smile who always seemed too happy, the guy who was constantly surrounded by people. The same guy who made Baekhyun catch his breath every time Chanyeol looked his way, the guy whose voice Baekhyun just couldn’t stop thinking about. Yes, it was Park Chanyeol who he could never stop stealing glances at. Park Chanyeol who made Byun Baekhyun’s heart beat faster since freshmen year. Of course Baekhyun was too much of a coward to ever do anything about his ever-growing infatuation.

 

Almost two years through college and they’d never exchanged a single word. Two years of awkward smiles and nods, but that was it. There was never anything more than that. So how in god’s name was he supposed to react, when the same Park Chanyeol, was standing literally a foot away from Baekhyun and asking him out to coffee on Saturday? His jaw had dropped and he struggled to form words with his mouth. Was this a prank? Was one of his friends going to jump out of one of the bushes with a camera in hand? Was he even awake?

 

“Ummm…Baekhyun-ssi? Are you okay?” Chanyeol looked worried.

Baekhyun managed to squeak something that possibly passed as a yes.

He looked up at Chanyeol and noticed his bright red ears. Was he just as nervous about this as Baekhyun was? Baekhyun swore that he felt his heart skip a few beats and he quickly let his gaze fall on his feet.

Chanyeol broke the silence again. “I know that I might have shocked you but I really need your help. If it’s okay with you.”

Wait. Help? Wasn’t this a date?

“S-s-sure. What do you need help with?” Baekhyun was really curious now, had he been reading the situation wrong?

Chanyeol blushed before he spoke and honestly, it made Baekhyun fall a little harder. “I heard that you’re good friends with Kyungsoo-ssi and I wanted some ad-“

What? Kyungsoo? Is this seriously a joke?

“Oh…” What was this sudden pang he felt in his chest? Why did he suddenly feel the need to hold back tears he didn't know were threatening to fall? Why did he feel like he had just heard something shatter?

“I want to ask him out but I’m really nervous and I also wanted to find out more of what he likes? Ah…this is embarrassing.”

Baekhyun did his best to hide his disappointment, “It’s fine Chanyeol-ssi, I’ll help you out.”

Stupid, stupid, Baekhyun. What was he getting himself into?

 

It's Friday night and Baekhyun is having trouble falling asleep. He feels a little empty and the aching in his chest won’t go away. He wonders, is this what rejection feels like? Is this what a broken heart feels like? Maybe its finally time move on…it has been two long years of this one-sided love infatuation. Ughhhh…but why does this hurt so much? He looks at the time, almost 4am he should really sleep now.

 Kyungsoo is an amazing person and he’s Baekhyun’s closest friend. He deserves to be happy and Chanyeol is perfect, Kyungsoo will definitely be happy with him. Baekhyun needs to be happy for his friend, otherwise, what kind of best friend would he be…right? He’s brought back to reality when he hears a certain deep voice call out his name. Oh god! Why does he have to sound so goddamn nice?

 

The root of all of Baekhyun’s pain takes a seat across him.  Was it just him or did Park Chanyeol look a LOT nicer today? Baekhyun’s heart starts to race and he doesn’t like what he’s feeling at all. Byun Baekhyun, get a freaking hold of yourself! You are not a 16-year-old girl, you are a man!

 

They end up talking for longer than Baekhyun had ever imagined. Their conversation swayed from Kyungsoo’s interests to what courses Baekhyun was taking and what Chanyeol planned to do after graduating. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, Chanyeol turned out to be everything Baekhyun had looked for in a person. He was so easy to talk to, he was funny, he could play multiple instruments, and he was intelligent. He was also really determined and Baekhyun could tell that he was definitely hard working. His voice, that god given voice of his that made Baekhyun want to squeal every time he heard it. And then there was the fact that Chanyeol looked like he literally just walked out of the runway. It’s unfair, don’t you think? For someone to be absolutely perfect? God was definitely biased when created Chanyeol, or his parents deserved a ing medal for their flawless genes. Snap out of it! You are not here for yourself but for Kyungsoo. He mentally slapped himself several times.