Chapter 5: Bitter- Dark Chocolate Gingerbread

❥ Heartbreak Chocolat ➳ ♥

“Wow….” Kwon Jiyong breathed in awe as we marveled the cake sitting in front of him was the one of the- if not the most beautiful and extravagant chocolate cakes he’d seen. “It’s…amazing!”

“Thank you. We’re glad you like it.” The woman before him replied with a polite smile, he’d felt a sense of hostility from her as soon as they’d, although he didn’t know why.

It was the day of his engagement party already, although he’d wanted it to be small-scale, it seems like his parents had made sure to be as extravagant as possible with decorations, with famous politicians and businessman milling around in expensive suits and dresses, Seeing Seungri’s sweets and the cake being wheeled in was the highlight of his morning.

Two people followed the caterers in who introduced themselves as Dara and Daesung- people who had helped Seungri made his cake and desserts.

“It’s truly a work of art.” He smiled gratefully, the cake was even more beautiful than the design sketches Seungri had shown him- standing tall and proud with four layers with contrasting black and white icing and chocolate shavings, he couldn’t wait to taste it!

Cake: 

“Where’s Seungri?” He looked around to find the younger man who he owed all this to, excited to offer him his praise.

Dara’s jaw hardened “He had been so busy preparing for the opening of Choco Vita already, he was pushing himself to come up with all this.” She gestured around them to the cake and the carts of desserts being wheeled in “He collapsed.”

“W-What?” Jiyong widened his eyes in shock. “Is he-“

“He collapsed after he finished the cake though so don’t worry.” Dara cut him off coolly.

“No! I didn’t mean-“

Dara shot him a glance hard enough to almost be a glare “Kwon Jiyong-ssi, as a chef running a restaurant yourself surely you must know the tremendous amount of pressure and hard work one must do while preparing for an opening of a store? Choosing this of all times and asking a man that you’d once just tossed away of all people, I would’ve imagined you were more intelligent than this.”

Kwon Jiyong froze, an expression of guilt slowly dawning over his face.

“Dara noona!” Daesung hissed quietly, as surprised as Jiyong at the older woman’s sudden outburst.

Dara sighed, regret settling in as fast as the anger had came, “I’m sorry Kwon Jiyong-ssi, I hope you enjoy the cake and have a happy engagement, congratulations again.”

She bowed slightly before turning to walk away briskly, Daesung also bowed apologetically before running after her, leaving a stunned Jiyong at a lost of what to do.

 

---

Seungri POV

 

“Ahem-“ I coughed for the Nth time within the minute, closing my eyes in exhaustion. I was currently wrapped up in my blanket sitting on the couch at home, cold patch stuck to my forehead and rolled up tissues stuck in my nostrils.

“Aish oppa! You should go back to your room so I won’t catch your cold!” Hyeri exclaimed, rolling her eyes in feigned annoyance but not before settling a bowl on the table before me.

I coughed again before opening my mouth the cackle “What is it?” I picked up the spoon to stir the thick, brown, lumpy substance in the bowl.

“It’s pumpkin porridge!” Hyeri exclaimed, offended “Quickly eat it and go to sleep!”

I made a face but put the spoon to my mouth anyway, it was surprisingly not bad, I spooned more into my mouth, much to Hyeri’s satisfaction.

“Not bad right? See, I’ll be such a good wife one day!” Hyeri did a mini clap to cheer herself before skipping away back into the kitchen.

I stopped eating and turned to stare at the bowl before me, stirring the substance around and around.

‘Wife...’ That’s what Jiyong will have soon, he’ll get married and have a wife, and a family.

“Take your pills after you finish oppa!” Hyeri appeared by my side again, settling on the table a cup of warm water and my cold medicine.

“Thanks.” I croacked, she smiled at me before disappearing into her room.

That girl, as much as she was a pain in the sometimes, I have to admit she’s sweet and thoughtful when she wants to be.

Will Jiyong’s wife take care of him like this too?

Will she make him porridge when he’s sick?

I gulped down the medicine and water, trying to ignore the burn at the back of my throat as I imagined what a married Jiyong will be like.

Him and hie beautiful wife, in a beautiful house, with beautiful children.

Perfect.

His life would be perfect.

Of course , he’d always been perfect.

I was probably the only imperfection that had ever happened to him, not that he’d ever taken me seriously.

I smiled to myself bitterly as sleep dawned over me…

 

---

Normal POV.

 

“Here.” Daesung smiled as he handed Dara a can of hot coffee he had bought from the vending machine. He had followed her as she walked through the city aimlessly, huffing out her stress and finally settling down at a park bench.

Dara thank him quietly as he took a seat beside her.

“It’s beautiful.” Daesung suddenly spoke, his voice cutting into the solace of the park.

“What?”

“Love, feelings.” Daesung shrugged “The feelings Seungri has for Jiyong-ssi, and the feelings you harbour for Seungri, unrequited and unknown, yet beautiful isn’t it?”

Dara froze spluttered on her drink “W-w-w-WHAT?”

Daesung ignored her shocked outburst as he continued, staring into the scenery of the park before them “I once heard that love is the best stimulator, I guess it’s true.” He smiled “Seungri’s love for Jiyong-ssi sent him to Paris, and back to Korea again, and now those feelings are the inspiration behind Choco Vita, it’s amazing when I think about it, the value of his love.” He turned to the still shock-frozen Dara.

“So sorry noona, I can’t support your love, but it is interesting to tease you about it though.” Daesung’s smile changed into a mischievous one as he winked.

“Wait-wait-wait! I-me-Seungri-I-I-I-” Dara stuttered her words in a flustered manner “I don’t love him! Well of course I do l-love him, b-but not like that! H-hahaha~” She laughed nervously as she slapped Daesung’s arm “W-what are you thinking Daesung-goon!...H-hahaha!”

“Hmmmm~~~ Is that so.” Daesung hummed, feigning thoughtfulness.

“O-of course! Seungri’s just a little brother! Yea! Like a donsaeng!...” Dara nervously laughed again.

Daesung chuckled “Ehhhh~~”

 

---

Seungri opened his eyes to see that the sun had already set. Reaching up to touch his forehead, he sighed in relief to find that his fever was gone already.

He fumbled to find his phone to check the time.

1 new message from Jiyong Hyung <3

His screen shone back at him brightly in the dark room, almost hurting his eyes.

He quickly tapped open the message.

Seungri, I heard you weren’t well, I hope you’re better now!

The cake was amazing, everyone at the party was astounded, thank you for your hard work!

Attached was a photo of his cake, standing behind it was Jiyong and a beautiful girl Seungri recognized to be his fiancé, they were smiling as the cut into the cake.

Seungri winced, it was at if the knife that they were holding wasn’t sinking into the chocolate sponge that he spent hours decorating, but instead sinking into his heart.

Sighing, he threw his phone back onto the carpeted floor and fell back onto the couch.

 

Seungri POV

 

Jiyong hyung, even if you’ve never been mine, even if you’re always unattainable…

I always held onto the belief that I can make you happy, make you remember me with the chocolate I make…

But somehow it still hurts, my heart still hurts…

Even when you’re smiling so brightly.

 

---

Hey guys!! So sorry for not updating for a long time, have been soooooooo busy! Just a short chapter, I have an exam in a week but I'll be on holiday soon after so update again then! Ciao~