Chapter 3: Sweet, bitter and spicy- Dark Chocolate Chili Truffles

❥ Heartbreak Chocolat ➳ ♥

“Good morning, Chef!” the receptionist bowed and smiled at him as Kwon Jiyong entered to revolving doors of Dolce Vita, he nodded in return.

He was now working as the executive chef of the hotel Dolce Vita. Even when there were many hotels under his family business, he chose Dolce Vita to work at because it had a modern and chic vibe that traditional hotels didn’t possess.

He was only a chef here, he didn’t take care of the business side of things. He was never interested in business and thankfully his parents agreed for him to concentrate on culinary, so his sister became the heir to the business instead.

He likes it this way, he didn’t need to think too much- all he had to do was make delicious food to serve up to the customers.

---

He settled into his office chair, swiveling around it as the image of Seungri on TV entered his mind. It had been 2 weeks since that morning and his mind had still not wrapped around the fact that the little boy from 5 years ago is now a renowned chocolatier who is working in one of the most famous chocolate salons in the world- or was working in, since he said he’ll come back to Korea soon. Jiyong wondered if he'll ever see him again.

A knock at the door suddenly broke him out of his day dream.

“Come in.” The door turned to reveal his sister – Kwon Bo ah (Guest appearance: Kwon Boa) smiling at him. “Ah, here you are. Are you ready yet?”

“Ready?” He frowned in confusion “For?”

His sister sighed “For the press conference! Jiyong, I told you about this last week!”

“Press conference….” He racked his brain trying to recall what his sister was talking about “Oh, about expanding the dessert department!” He finally exclaimed as the memory hit him, his sister rolled his eyes “Yes! And to think you were the one nagging me to do it.”

Jiyong grinned sheepishly, it was true- the hotel had built a reputation to have an outstanding Italian restaurant that serves excellent cuisine, but that didn’t satisfy Jiyong. He kept on pestering his sister to open a chocolatier within the hotel, at first she only rolled his eyes at him and accused him for mixing personal desires with work (Which was only half true, he always argued) but over time she finally relented and made it into an actual plan- they were to open a chocolate and dessert parlor as an extension to the restaurant. It would be opened right next to the restaurant and they will be linked- making it convenient to serve desserts to the customers who order it in the restaurant.

Jiyong only knew that his sister was working on the plan, he didn’t involve himself in too much of the details since he was never interested in business and planning. But it seems like his sister is so efficient that it was ready to be opened and announced now, he grinned “Your progress is too fast for me to catch up to! This is why you’re the most suitable for the throne, your highness!” He mocked a bow, making Bo Ah whack him on his back “Come on! It’s starting soon!”

-

He let his sister drag him out of his office, through the restaurant, down the lobby, and finally up to the conference hall. Everything seemed to happen in a whirlwind and soon enough him and his sister and a few other executives were sitting behind a long table with dozens of cameras flashing towards him as Bo Ah started giving a long, tedious welcoming speech. He played with his fingers under the table, although he was excited that he’ll soon be within a few steps away from chocolates and sweets everyday now, he’d rather skip all this business and just taste them already. He sighed inwardly when suddenly everyone in the room broke into chattering applause and the flashing lights of the reporters became even more intense. He turned his eyes to where everyone’s attention was at and froze at what he saw.

Lee Seungri.

Walking up the stage and bowing before taking a seat next to his sister, who was next to him.

Lee Seungri was now one seat away from him, wearing the same chef uniform as him, black framed glasses perched on his nose and mouth curling into a camera-perfect smile.

Jiyong’s jaw dropped as he heard his sister announce “It is Dolce Vita’s honor to be able to invite Chef Lee Seungri to join our team and take charge of the upcoming chocolate parlor “La Vita Choco”..." After another round of well rehearsed speeched by his sister and executives, the host finally announced "You are now welcome to ask any questions.”

The conference hall bursted into a buzz of murmurs, just like Jiyong’s mind.

“Chef Lee Seungri! Many were speculating that you came back to Korea to open your own Chocolatier, surely you possess enough skills and fame to do so. Is there any reason behind the decision to leave “La reverie” to join in hotel “Dolce Vita” instead?”

Kwon Jiyong turned to look at Seungri who was smiling as he leaned into his mic

“Firstly, it is an honor for me to be able to join one of Korea’s top hotels. As for a reason, as I had said before- I wanted to bring to Korea chocolates that will not lose to the taste of “La reverie”, but on top of that, I also want to make chocolates that are unique to Korea, and hopefully ‘Made in Korea' chocolates will one day join the ranks of French chocolates and become well known internationally. But up until now I have only worked in France in “La reverie”, I think I'm still lacking in many areas, I want to build up more experience as a chocolatier in Korea and hopefully one day let everyone taste chocolates that combine all these experiences and be able to contribute to polishing Korea's name in the world of chocolate making.” He answered, his tone steady and polished, Kwon Bo Ah smiled at him in acknowledgement before nodding at another reporter’s raised hand.

“Chef Kwon Jiyong, with Chef Lee Seungri joining in now, are you scared that the two of you will clash in terms of characteristics and style as a chef? Will you view him as your rival?”

Silence filled the hall as Jiyong blinked, his mind was totally a mess “Uhmm…”

He was just about to embarrass himself and ask the reporter to repeat the question again when another voice cut in.

“Kwon Jiyong-ssi is a great chef and I’ll be sure to match up to his unique style and characteristics. I’m a new member so I hope he will look after me.” Seungri turned to smile innocently at Jiyong who only managed a nod and a “Y-yes…”

 

---

 

“Jiyong!” His sister called out to him as she approached him with a smiling Seungri in tow. Right after the press conference, his sister and Lee Seungri had been surrounded by various reporters trying to get a in-depth interview, and Jiyong was left to himself at the drinks and snacks table, his mind still in a haze.

“Jiyong, sorry I should have let you two meet earlier, Seungri, I’d like you to meet Jiyong officially.” Bo Ah stpped back to let Seungri approach Jiyong, her phone suddenly rang and she excused herself politely.

The two of them were left to stare at each other.

Jiyong stared at the man in front of him, 5 years had done him justice- his shoulders had broadened, his facial features have hardened and he had matured into a handsome young man- the only thing unchanging was the dark circles under his eyes.

Bonjour chef.” Seungri held out his hand “Long time no see, Jiyong-ssi.”

“Seungri…” Jiyong eyes softened as he took his hand into a firm shake “Long time no see, you’ve become so handsome.”

Seungri’s mouth pulled into a toothy grin “And you’re still as handsome as before.”

Jiyong looked away slightly “You’re really something now… I had no idea you’d be the one to be in charge of the chocolatier...I was really shocked!”

 

 

Seungri POV

I chuckled as Jiyong hyung admitted how shocked he was seeing me, I couldn’t say the same thing- of course I had known he was Bo Ah-ssi’s brother, I had known that he is the head chef here since Bo Ah-ssi came to me with the offer and one of the biggest reasons why I had accepted it.

“Yes, I was too.” I answered, feigning ignorance “Jiyong-ssi I hope we will work well together.”

He shrugged “Well we’ll be working in totally different kitchens anyway, and you’ll lead your own team…”

I smiled “Yes, but I hope you will visit often.”

He grinned like a kid, it was the expression he’d often wear after eating chocolates “Yes of coutse! I can taste the chocolates from an ex- “La reverie” chocolatier everyday now! I look forward to it Seungri.” His expression changed, his eyes dropping.

“Hey…the box of bon bon chocolates you gave me five years ago…”

I froze nervously, did he really throw them out? Is he only feeling guilty now that he met me again?

“They…they were really delicious..” He said, slightly looking away “To be honest, it made me really say eating them…because they were so good. I’d buy them if they were sold in stores, but Seungri’s chocolates…aren’t sold anywhere.”

I was speechless, so he had eaten my chocolates after all, and he thought they were good.

I could almost hear the blood rushing to my heart and being pumped out.

Jiyong thought my chocolates were delicious.

He opened his mouth again after some hesitation “I-I tried contacting you again…but I thought it’d be awkward and you probably didn’t want to see me, and when I finally did your phone was out of service already, I went to your shop and they told me you’d gone overseas. I always think about you these five years…and seeing you again today, being able to talk like this, it really makes me happy, Seungri, It really does.”

I thought my heart was going to stop at his words.

I always think about you these five years.

My heart was racing and I only managed to smile and say “Yes, I’m happy too.”

From the corner of my eye I see Bo Ah-ssi getting off her phone and making her way back to us with a few reporters in tow, Jiyong hyung seemed to notice too and he slightly closed the distance between us to whisper

“Hey can we meet again sometime after this? Alone?...I have something to tell you.”

CAN’T HE JUST SAY IT NOW???

I nodded, trying not to show how excited or nervous I was as he was pulled away by his sister.

HAVE I DONE IT AT LAST?  Next time we meet, will he tell me that he regrets throwing me away? That he wants to get back together with me?

I breathed in deeply, trying to calm myself down.

 

Jiyong hyung, meeting you again like this…you probably never imagined it right?

You have no idea how much I have to withhold the urge to touch you- to hug you, pull you into a kiss. I feel like I should feel pathetic, being so desperate for you even after so many years- but I can’t stop my heart from beating when I meet your eyes that you look at me with, when I touch the hand that you shook mine with, when I hear the voice that you speak to me with. My heart beats for you again and again.

 

---

“Wow that’s amazing!” Daesung exclaimed happily after I told him about this afternoon’s events.

Daesung- the young man who had helped me get the job at ‘La reverie’ 5 years ago, turned out to be half French and half Korean.

And he also turned out to be a chabeol of a huge sugar manufacturer and distributor, he told me his parent sent him to "La reverie" to train. I was flat broke after spending all my savings on a ticket to France (and a few manhwa books which he took anyway) and asked him if I could live at his place for few weeks, which turned into a few months and eventually I ended up living there until I came back to Korea.

He had agreed happily to come back to Korea with me to join in my team in "Dolce Vita", and now he was a free-lodger in my home. I had asked if his parent allowed him to work for another company and he just laughed, saying he had a lot of freedom since he has a few older brothers. I guess the politics of the billionaire world is still a mysetry to me.

I chuckled as I recalled the first day we came back to Korea…

---

“Bonjour, ahjussi!” Daesung took my dad’s hand passionately and kissed him on both his cheeks, shocking the old man. “I have heard Seungri talk a lot about you, I’m Kang Daesung! I’m half French half Korean!”

“What?!” My dad and my sister exclaimed “With that face?”

“Yea, my father is Korean!” Daesung explained enthusiastically.

“Your mother is Korean too right?” Hyeri murmured quietly, earning a confused look from Daesung.

“He’s a chaebol.” I announced for him “His full name is Daesung Léandre Mathieu-Kang, his family owns M.K sugar works.”

“What?!” My dad and Hyeri exclaimed again as Daesung smiled innocently.

---

And to think this billionaire-son is now swinging the wii control in desperate attempt to win my sister at wii-tennis, I sighed.

“So oppa, is this the same Kwon Jiyong that dumped you the day before Valentines day?” Hyeri asked, her attention turning away from the TV for one second.

“Yep!” I hummed “But today when he was looking at me, his eyes were all gooey and glittering. This is it! I’ve finally accomplished my goal!” I bounced on the sofa happily, rubbing my cheek on the cushion I was hugging tightly.

“Goal?” Daesung had finally given up on wii at this point, he sat on the sofa beside me and started nibbling on a pepero stick. “What goal?”

I scoffed “Obviously it’s to become a chocolatier and win over Jiyong hyung’s heart! It’s the reason why I went to “La reverie”!” and now after meeting him again, those 5 years seemed to have passed by really fast. I rolled around the sofa happily “My hard work is finally paying off!”

“Why? Did he say he wanted to start over seriously with you?” Hyeri asked, “Well no…not yet! He said he wanted to meet me and tell me something though!” I explained “You should have seen us today, he was this close to me! It was totally the position perfect for kissing.” I giggled shyly at the thought, burying my face into the cushion again.

Hyeri rolled her eyes before snatching the wii control off the coffee table again “First to 5!” She announced and Daesung yelped, throwing the box of pepero on the ground “Hey that’s cheating!”

I ignored them as I thought about Jiyong…for these five years, in order to become a successful chocolatier, I greedily studied all I could, staying behind every night after hours to practice my tempering. But now looking back, I feel like everything happened so smoothly, I still feel the same way now…

 

 

-Normal POV-

 

Seungri breathed in deeply before pushing open the door to the café where he and Jiyong had agreed to meet in. He spotted Jiyong straight away, he always could- to him Jiyong was a shinning, glittering figure amongst the dullness of everyone else. Jiyong was special to him. Just seeing Jiyong siting there waiting for him made Seungri hear chiming silver bells in his head.

 

“Seungri-ah!” Jiyong waved to him, he had gotten his number off his sister and contacted him the day before. In truth he was nervous, maybe the way Seungri acted on the day of the press conference was out of politeness? Maybe he didn’t really want to see him at all? He was relieved when he saw Seungri push through those café doors, Seungri approached him with a smile.

“Hello Jiyong-ssi.” He greeted, “Just call me Jiyong hyung like you used to, Seungri-ah.” Jiyong said in a soft voice, Seungri nodded shyly.

They waited until the were both served their drinks before Jiyong shifted in his seat, opening his mouth in hesitation.
“So…what I wanted to say to you was…well, I wanted to ask you something Seungri-ah…”

“Y-yes Jiyong hyung?” Seungri’s heart was pounding against his chest, he took a sip of his drink to hide his nervousness.

Jiyong fiddled with his fingers while continuing, “…it must be so thick-skinned of me to say this after everything, but I thought I’d give it a try…I didn’t want to let an opportunity like this pass by me without even trying to ask.”

“Yes, what is it?” Seungri held his heart that seemed like it was about to burst open. “You can just ask honestly Jiyong-hyung. I’ll accept any request from you”

“Really?” Jiyong sighed in relief and relaxed. “Well, I’m getting engaged in July.”

Seungri froze.

“And I was wondering...”

“If you could help…”

“With the engagement cake and the party desserts…”

 

The chiming bells in Seungri’s head stopped.

 

-----

Hey guys! So I know a lot of you were expecting and wanting Jiyong to regret and have to beg for Seungri, but unfortunately the concept of the fic, as reflected in the name- is that Seungri is pretty much always in a state of being heartbroken :(((

Well maybe not always.... but at least for now~ I hope you guys still want to read this >.< to be honest I don't really know how the story will go now, the people who've watched the drama have probably realised it's developed a really different plot~ So even I don't know, the story is writing itslef haha~

And yea, Daesung is half French here :P  I also didn't want to use people that aren't celebrities aren't celebrities as characters (Like Jiyong's real sister Kwon Dami) because I find it weird that they're not even public figures yet they're being written as completely different characters with different personalities in fans' imaginations...haha~ it's weird for me

So I'd rather use celebrities, you can just pretent you're watching (reading) a drama~